Do You Like Me?

Me And The Girl Next Door

"You look cute when you blush."

 

Her heart began to pound loudly. Her face turned a dark shade of pink. She covered her face with her hands, and turned her back on her. "Why is he saying those things?" she thought. "Fei Fei?" he called her. "Stop teasing me!" she shouted at him. She looked back at him, and saw the confusion in his face. Then, she ran from him. "Fei Fei, wait for me!"

 

Wes caught up with her. As soon as he got near her, he held her hand. She stopped walking, and looked at him. "Hey, I'm not teasing you, all right. You look cute. It's a compliment." he told her. Then, he smiled again. Her heart began to beat fast again. She was scared Wes would hear it. "Let's go. We're going to be late." he told her. He pulled her hand, as they walked to the school. 

 

As they were walking, Sylvia looked at his back. She found herself smiling as she stared at him. "Does he like me? Should I ask him? But what if I was wrong? Maybe I'm overthinking... and not all the signs are there, right?" she thought. "But what if he does? What would I do?" she asked herself. 

 

Before she knew it, they were already inside the school gate. "Hey, what do you want for breakfast?" Wes said as he turned to her. "C-c-coffee..." she said. "I need coffee to wake me up from overthinking." she thought. "And?" Wes asked. "More coffee." she answered. 

 

Wes let out a laugh. "All right. Coffee. And I'll just bring you sandwich and cookies, all right?" he said as he patted her head. "I am overthinking. I think he still treats me as a sister. He doesn't like me." she thought. As he was about to leave, she realized he still have her bag. "Zheng! My bag!" she shouted at him. Wes stopped, and noticed, he was still holding her bag. "Ooopppsss... I'm sorry..." he said when he handed it to her. He scratched his head as he smiled at her. "Take care on your way to the classroom!" Wes told her before he went to the cafeteria. 

 

--

 

Wes rushed to the cafeteria, and he saw Wayne. "Good morning!" Wes greeted the three happily. "Well, someone sure is happy today." Wayne told him as he smiled. "Well, I had a great morning, I think." Wes told him. He then grabbed a can of iced coffee from the refrigerator. "Is it because of Fei Fei?" Wayne asked him. Wes looked at him, and smiled. 

 

"When are you planning to confess to her? The school festival was a good chance, but you let it pass." Wayne asked. Wes paused, and thought for a while. "I don't know. I'm waiting for the perfect moment to confess to her." Wes said. "Don't tell me you'll wait until graduation to ask her?" Wayne asked. Wes shook his head. "I won't let that happen. I'll confess to her before graduation." Wes said. 

 

"Then, confess to her soon. So that you and her will be a couple, and we can have double dates!" Wayne said. Wes looked at him as if he invented sliced break. "That's a great idea!" he said. The two of them gave each other a high five. "But the question is, will she accept your confession, or reject you? Do you think  she's ready to be in a relationship again?" Wayne asked.

 

The smile on Wes' face slowly faded. Wayne's right. He knows Sylvia isn't ready to jump into a relationship, or date another guy, how will she accept him. "Well, all that matters is that there are no regrets, right? If she rejects me, then at least I let her know what I felt for her. And I will still continue to be her best friend, and big brother. I will still continue to be by her side no matter what." he told him. 

 

"Wow, Wes... you're really something. You're not afraid to get hurt?" Wayne asked him. Wes just gave him a sad smile. "I've experience much deeper pain than this. I've been through hell and back, Wayne. A little rejection from the girl I love won't hurt me." he told him. 

 

--

 

As soon as the bell rang, the teacher for their last period dismissed the class. Everyone scrambled to leave the classroom. Sylvia was putting her things on her bag, when Wes approached her. "Ready to go home?" he asked. Then, he held on to her bag. "No!" she said, taking her bag, and holding it. 

 

Wes gave her a confused look. "I'm not going home yet. Diana and I need to go to the street market." Sylvia told him. Wes then looked at Diana. Diana shook her head as she looked at them. "I have a date with Wayne today, sorry." she said. Wes gave her a suspicious look. Then, Sylvia let out a nervous laugh. "Sorry, it would be Cosmos. Cosmos and I need to go to the street market." she said. 

 

Wes looked at Cosmo, and saw she was holding the mop."Has anyone seen the pail?" she asked. Wes pointed at the other cabinet. Wes looked at Sylvia as if interrogating her. Sylvia let out another laugh. "It's actually Eunice, I forgot!" Sylvia lied again. Wes looked at Eunice, and saw him holding a broom. This time, Wes looked at Sylvia and smiled at her. "They are on cleaning duties today. I know, because I made the schedule, remember?" he told her. Sylvia laughed again. 

 

"But I'm still not going home yet. I'm going to the street market alone." Sylvia told him. "Then, do you want me to accompany you?" he asked. Sylvia simply smiled at her. "Alone." she emphasized on that word. Then she rushed out of the room, leaving Wes wondering why she   wanted to be alone. "Is she avoiding you?" he heard Wayne ask him. Wes let out a sigh. "I think so..."  

 

"Did you two had a fight?" Diana asked worriedly. Wes shook his head. "Why don't you follow her? Ask her why she's avoiding you." she urged him. Wes was a little hesitant. "Should I?" he asked. Both Wayne and Diana nodded their head. "All right, then wish me luck." he said. Then, he took his bag, and went to follow Sylvia. 

 

--

 

Wes followed Sylvia, and noticed that the route she's taking  is the route going  to their home. "She's going home? Why did she have to lie about going to the street market alone?" he thought as he followed her. Meanwhile, Sylvia felt someone was following her. When she looked back, she saw Wes behind her. 

 

"Zheng?" she called. Wes walked towards her. His face was serious as he faced her. "Why did you lie to me?" he asked. Sylvia fell silent. She looked away from him, avoid his eyes. She doesn't know how to explain why she's avoiding him. "Are you avoiding me? Why are you avoiding me? Did I say or do anything that made you mad?" he questioned her. 

 

"No..." she said in a low voice. "Then, why are you avoiding me?" he pressed again. She let out a sigh before turning to face her. It's about time she confront Wes. "Zheng, tell me the truth. Do you like me?" she asked him. Wes fell silent this time. He didn't know that Sylvia noticed his feelings for her. He let out a nervous smile as he scratched his head. "Well... I... do... like you. More than a friend." he cleared to  her. 

 

As he looked at her, there was a sad expression on her face. "Then, can you stop liking me?" she asked him. Wes was surprised at her request. "W-why?" he asked her. "Because I want to be just friends. I want it to be like how it was before. To me, you're my protective big brother and I'm your pesky little sister. Can we go back to that way, Zheng?" she asked. 

 

Wes looked at her for a long time. "This is it... the rejection...." he thought. He thought he was ready for it, but what he wasn't ready was the pain it will cause him. He felt his heart was stabbed many times. It was like it was broken into a million pieces, and can no longer be mended.

 

Wes faked a smile He nodded his head. He tried his best not to let the tear fall from his eyes. "If that's what you want. I'll stop liking you. I'll go back to being your big brother." he said. With that, Sylvia let out a smile. She's glad she cleared the air with Wes. Even if he confess to him, she can't accept his love, because she only sees him as a good friend. "Then, I'm glad." she told him. 

 

Wes took a deep breath. "Just forget that I told you I like you, all right. Let's go home. I'm pretty sure, Chun ge prepared something tasty for snacks." he said. Then, he bag to walk away from him. 

 

As Sylvia stared at his back, suddenly she felt sad. "Am I regretting what I told him?" she asked herself. She just hope everything will go back to normal after this day.

 

--

 

He closed the door behind him, and leaned on it. It's been hard to hold in the tears he kept inside. And as soon as he is alone, tears began to fall from his eyes. "I shouldn't be crying. I'm used to getting hurt, right?" he told himself. "But why do the people I love didn't love me back? Why did they have to hurt me? First, mom left me. Then, Tia... and now...."

 

As turned to look at his table, and saw a framed that was turned down. He picked it up, and saw the picture of him and Tia on it. Then, stared at it for a long time. 

 

He let out a bitter laugh. "Did you really love me? Or did you use me like those other guys you dated before? Why did you leave me?" he asked. He then threw the frame on the wall, making it's glass shatter into a million pieces. 

 

And then, he slumped on the floor and cried.