Bittersweet Yesterday

Me And The Girl Next Door

Wes Luo - younger version of Wes' dad

Pets Tseng - younger version of Melody

Tia Lee - younger version of Jane

Jiro Wang - Peter

 

--

 

She took a sip of wine from her glass as she stared at the fireplace. The flame reflected in her eyes as she stared at it. It has been years ago, but she remembers everything like it was yesterday. And every time she looks back at those past memories, she can't helped but feel hurt and betrayed. 

 

"Why does she have to come back in our lives? Only to hurt my brother and Zheng again?" she thought. She spent several years to fix what was broken in their family. She raised Wes singlehandedly without her. Wes looked at her like his own mother. She had seen how the poor kid was broken before when she chose to be with the man she had an affair with. And all her hard work will go down the drain now that she's back. 

 

She took another sip of wine for her glass. "I won't let you this time, Jane..." she thought as she stared at the flame on the fireplace. "I won't let you break this family again...."

 

--

 

Qin Yang sat on his bed that evening. He had a long day, not only because he attended to Jane and had a meeting with the fellow doctors, but he also had to see other patients as well. He let out a sigh with the thought of his ex-wife being sick. Never in his life would he imagine the woman she once love would be this sick, and almost dying. 

 

He looked at the his bedside table, and saw the small box he had kept all these years. He took it and opened it, revealing the wedding ring he used to wear. Although he and Jane had separated a long time ago, he had kept that wedding ring as a reminder of her. He had always loved her, and that love never left his heart, that's why it pains to see the woman she loves in bad condition. 

 

As he stared at his wedding ring, he remembered what had happened in the past, the moments that lead up to their current situation. And even if those memories still hurt him, all he could think of is how much he loved Jane. 

 

 

--

 

[Flashback]

 

"Ge..."

 

Qin Yang was putting on his tie, when his sister, Melody, came inside his room. "Mei mei, is she ready?" he asked. Melody smiled at him. "She will be in a while. Ah, my brother is as handsome as ever!" she gushed at him. Melody walked to him, and helped him with his tie. 

 

He took a deep breath as he looked at his sister. "I'm nervous. Am I supposed to feel this way?" he asked her. "Of course. You're getting married today, Don't tell me you're getting a cold feet?" Melody told him. Qin Yang shook his head. "Of course not! I'm so in love with Jane. Even if we both know our parents arranged this marriage, but I really loved her since we were young..." Qin Yang said. Melody smiled at his brother. "I know Jane loves you too, Ge. You two have been together for so long. I know that two of you will have a lifetime of happiness." Melody assured him. 

 

Qin Yang took out deep breath, and smiled. "I can't wait to get married. Mei mei, let's go to the church. I can't let my bride wait for me, right?" Qin Yang told him. Melody could only laugh at her brother. "All right, let's get you to church." she told him. 

 

--

 

Qin Yang opened the door to their suite, while his bride was laughing. "Qin Yang, put me down now, please?" Jane told him. He laid Jane on the bed, and then laid on top of her. "Are you happy?" he asked her. Jane smiled, and nodded her head."Very happy." Jane said. Qin Yang smiled at her as he caressed her cheek. "And I hope, I can make you happy for the rest of our lives." he said. 

 

He leaned down to her and kissed her on her forehead. Then, he kissed on the lips. "I love you so much, Jane. I know, our parents arranged this marriage for us, but I promise, I'll make this marriage work." he told her. Jane put her arm around his neck, and smiled. "We will make this marriage work." she assured him. He leaned down on her, and kissed her on the lips. 

 

He leaned on her forehead, and smiled at her. "I love you so much..." he whispered to her. "I love you too, Qin Yang..." Jane whispered as well. Then, he smiled naughtily at his new wife. "So, shall we start our honeymoon?" he asked her. Jane just giggled at him. As Qin Yang pulled the blanket over their head, both of them laughed. 

 

 

--

 

"So, when are we going to meet this new boyfriend of yours?" 

 

Jane asked as Melody and her were preparing their lunch. Melody decided to visit the couple to check on them. "You will meet Peter soon. Of course, Qin Yang ge needs to meet him and approve of him, right?" Melody said. Jane smiled at the younger girl. "This Peter sure makes you happy, huh? Look at you, you're glowing." Jane told her. Melody could only blush at what her sister-in-law said. 

 

"Aiya, Jane jie... don't tease me." Melody said with a pout. Jane just laughed at him. "How are you and Qin Yang ge? How has med school changed your life?" Melody asked her. Jane let out a sigh. "He's always busy. He doesn't even have time for himself, or even for the both of us. But I understand, I know it's for our future." Jane told her. Melody nodded her head. "Don't worry, he's about to finish his med school. Just be patient with Qin Yang ge, all right?" Melody said. Jane nodded her head. "But sometimes, I feel alone, especially when he had to be at the hospital the whole day. I just want to spend more time with him." Jane said sadly as she sighed. Melody gave her a sister-in-law a hug. "Hey, you know you can always call me when you need some company." Melody told her. Jane looked at her, and smiled. "Thank you, Melody." Jane told her. 

 

Shortly after, Qin Yang came inside the kitchen. "Ah, my two favorite girls are here!" he said. The two girl simply smiled at him. Qin Yang walked towards his wife, and kissed her on the lips. "It's a good thing Qin Yang ge is free today, huh?" Melody told him. "I knew you and our parents would be coming to visit, so I freed up my schedule today. Besides, Jane and I have some good news to share later  to you." Qin Yang told his sister. Melody gave her brother a curious look. "What is it?" she asked. "It's a surprise!" Qin Yang said. 

 

Melody pouted at her brother. "No fair. Why are you keeping things to me? Aren't I your favorite sister?" she said. Jane laughed at her. "Dear, maybe it's better to tell Melody about our news. Then, we can tell your parents later during lunch." she told her husband. Qin Yang walked behind his wife,and hugged her. "I guess it won't hurt to first tell mei mei the news, right?" he said. Then, he put his hand over his wife's tummy, and rubbed it. 

 

Melody looked at what his brother is doing, and then her eyes widened upon realizing what the news is all about. "Oh my God!" she said before putting her handover . She saw the couple smile at him. "Auntie Melody seems to be happy!" Jane said. "Y-you're pregnant, Jane jie?" she asked. Jane nodded her head. "Three months." Qin Yang confirmed. 

 

The younger girl shrieked for a while, and hugged Jane. "I'm so happy for the two of you!" Melody told them. "Hey, mei mei. Promise me you won't tell mom and dad, all right? We want to personally tell them later." Qin Yang reminded his younger sister. Melody nodded her head. "And I hope you could also help us around while Jane is pregnant..." Qin Yang added. Melody gave her brother a confused look. 

 

Qin Yang looked at his wife, and smiled. "Melody, will you come and live with us for a while to help me around while I'm pregnant. Besides, your brother is quite busy with med school." Jane said. Melody smiled, and nodded her head. "Of course, I will! I'll help take care of you and the baby. Besides, your house is just near my university, so it's convenient for me." Melody said. Qin Yang and Jane looked at each other, and then smiled at her. "Thank you, Tian Xin." Qin Yang said. 

 

--

 

Shortly after, Wes was born. 

 

Qin Yang carried his new born son, and smiled as he watched the baby yawn. "Look how cute he is..." Qin Yang said. He walked towards his wife, who was sitting on his bed, and then gave their son to him. Jane smiled, as she looked at her son. "He's a beautiful baby..." she cooed. 

 

"What shall we name our son?" Qin Yang asked. Jane thought for a while, then she smiled at her husband. "Hong Zheng. Let's call him Hong Zheng, all right?" Jane said. Qin Yang nodded his head. He sat beside his wife, and watched his son. "Xiao Zheng... Daddy and Mommy loves you so much." Qin Yang told his baby. Then, he planted a kiss on his son's forehead. The baby responded by yawning again, making Qin Yang laugh. "Then, what will be his English name?' Jane asked him. "Weston." Qin Yang said, 

 

Jane let out a laugh, making him confused. "That's an old fashioned name, don't you think?" she said. "But I like that name." Qin Yang said with a pout. Jane let out a laugh. "How about we shorten it. How about we call him Wes?" Jane said. They heard the baby make a sound, which made both of them laugh. "I think he likes the name Wes more than Weston." Jane told him. Qin Yang just laugh. "All right, then Wes will be his English name." Qin Yang agreed.

 

Just then, the door opened, and Melody came inside the room. "Hello!" she greeted them. she brought a basket of fruits for Jane. "Finally, you're here. We want you to meet our son." Qin Yang said. As soon as Melody settled the basket on the table, she walked towards Jane to look at the baby. 

 

"Oh, baby Luo looks a lot like Jane jie!" Melody gushed at her nephew. Qin Yang pouted at him. "No way! He looks more like me. Look how handsome he is, just like his father." Qin Yang said. "All right, if Qin Yang ge says so..." Melody said in resignation. Both Jane and Melody just laughed. 

 

"Melody? Are you here?" 

 

The three looked at the door, and saw a young man enter the room. Melody smiled at the man, and then she walked up to him. "Peter! You're here!" she said excitedly. She gave Peter a quick kiss on the lips, then she turned to her brother and sister-in-law. "Ge, jie, this is my boyfriend, Peter. Peter, that's my Qin Yang ge and Jane jie." Melody introduced them. Peter smiled at them, and bowed. "It's nice to finally meet you, Qin Yang ge and Jane jie." Peter said. 

 

Qin Yang smiled at the young man. "Ah, finally. My sister decided to bring her boyfriend over for us to meet. Hey, don't you dare to hurt my little sister, or else." Qin Yang threatened him. Peter could only laugh, while Melody whined at her brother. "Ge, don't scare my boyfriend." she told him. Qin Yang just laughed. "I'm just kidding. But it's nice to finally meet you, Peter." Qin Yang said. 

 

Peter eyed Jane, and smiled at her. "It's nice to meet you too." he said. 

 

--

 

Qin Yang rushed home that day to catch up on their wedding anniversary. But he was not able to get on time. As he opened the door, he saw his wife sitting on the couch. He was greeted by the angry stare of his wife. "I'm so sorry..." he said as he walks towards her. As he leaned down to kiss her cheek, Jane turned away from him. 

 

"Jane..." he called faintly. Jane folded her arms, still mad at Qin Yang for being late for their dinner. She espcially prepared his favorite dishes, since he promised to leave work early. "This always happens, and I hate it." Jane told her. Qin Yang let out a sigh of resignation. "Do we have to fight over this?" he asked in an annoyed tone. This time, Jane faced him. "It's our fourth anniversary, and and you have been doing this for the last three years!" Jane said angrily. 

 

Qin Yang let out another sigh. "I thought you understood my work? We had our hands full at the emergency room today, and I can't just leave my patients..." he tried to explain. Jane stood up, and face her husband angrily. "That's the problem with you! You always put your work first. You forget about your own family. When was the last time that you were on time for family events? You were not there during Melody's graduation. You were not there during your parents' anniversary. You were not even there during Zheng's birthday!" Jane blamed him. "I have explained it to you, all right?!" Qin Yang said, raising his voice at her. He was so tired from his shift at the hospital, and the last thing he wanted right now is a fight with his wife. "It's not as if I'm playing while I'm away. I am working, and I'm working hard." 

 

"Then you should have just married your work instead! It seems like you love it more than your own family." Jane shouted at him. Qin Yang let out another sigh. Then, he faced her, and held her shoulders. "Look, I'm trying my best to be a good provider for you and for Zheng. That's why I'm working hard..." he explained to her more calmly now. Jane put his hand away, and turned her back on him. Qin Yang could here her as she sobs. "Then, I don't want a good life, if it means you won't have time for us!" she cried. She covered as she tried to compose herself. "Didn't you... didn't you promise to make me happy for the rest of our lives? But you're hurting me because you keep on choosing your career over us." 

 

Jane turned to face him again. Qin Yang lowered his head as she faced him. "All I want is just a little bit of your time, Qin Yang. I want you to spend some time with me, and for you to see Zheng growing up. Please don't be too tied up with your work.... please..." she told him as he held his hand. Qin Yang looked at her. He took her hand, and pulled her into a hug. "I'm so sorry Jane..." he whispered to her. "I'm sorry. I promise to make it up to you and Zheng, all right?" he promised her.

 

--

 

Jane rushed to the door as she heard the loud knock. "Coming!" she said. As she opened it, she saw Peter standing outside. "Oh, Peter. You're here. Come in." she said, making way for Peter so he could come inside the house. "Jane jie, is Melody here?" he asked. "Oh, Melody accompanied his brother at their parents' house. She will be back soon. Take aseat first, and wait for her." she said. Peter smiled, and nodded his head. "Thank you, Jane jie." he said as he sat on the couch. 

 

"What do you want to drink?" Jane asked him. "Water is fine with me, Jane jie." Peter told her. Peter watched as Jane retreated to the kitchen. A few minutes later, she's back with a glass of water on hand. "Here you go." Jane said as she handed him the glass. But as Peter took the glass from her hand, it slipped, and fell on the floor. "I'm sorry..." Peter said. Both of them then knelt on the floor to take the glass. They both held the glass at the same time. As their fingers touched, Peter and Jane looked at each other. 

 

Jane felt her heart beating fast as Peter stared at her. She let a faint smile at him. "I... I'll take care of this." she told him. Peter then moved his hand and held hers. She looked at him, and saw him staring at her. "P-peter..." she called. Before she knew it, Peter was kissing her on the lips. She could have pushed him away, but she found herself responding to his kiss. But then, she got into her senses, and broke their kiss. She stood up, and turned his back from him. 

 

"Jane jie..." she heard Peter call him. "Let's... let's forget about what happened." Jane told him. "I can't." she heard Peter tell her. Slowly, she looked back at him. "I've been in love with you since the moment I laid my eyes on you." Peter told him. "But... but you can't. My sister-in-law loves you, and... and I'm married." she told him. "Then why did you respond to my kiss right now?" Peter asked her. 

 

Jane became speechless. She don't know what came into her mind, that she reciprocated that kiss. Before she knew it, Peter had pulled her into his arms, and kissed her again.

 

--

 

Qin Yang decided to go home early that day to surprise his wife and son. As he opened the door, his son ran up to him. "Dada!" Wes called his father. Qin Yang smiled at him, and scooped him from the floor. "Hello, my little prince! Where's mommy?" he asked him. Wes smiled at him, and pointed upstairs. Qin Yang smiled at his son. "Wait for me here, all right? I'll surprise mommy, and we'll go out to eat delicious food at the restaurant, OK?" he said. Wes nodded his head, and clapped. "Food!" he said gleefully. He put his son down, and went up  the stairs. 

 

As he held the knob to the door, he heard some sound coming from the room. "What is it?" he thought. As he slowly opened the door, the became louder. He peeked from the small opening he made, and from there he saw clearly his wife in bed with another man. It wasn't just any man, it was Melody's boyfriend, Peter.

 

He felt his world fell apart upon seeing that. His heart was broken into a million pieces, seeing his wife with another man. He leaned on the wall next to his room, as he cried. he wanted to get inside, and beat the hell out of the guy, but he doesn't have the strength right now. In a few seconds, he tried to compose himself. He decided to leave her wife alone with her man for now. He'll have to deal with her later, all that matters to him now and all that he could think about now is his son. 

 

As he walked downstairs, he saw his son patiently waiting for him as he sat on the couch. "Dada!" Wes called. He forced a smile, and walked up to his son. "Zheng, mommy's still sleeping. We don't want to disturb her because she's tired, all right? Why don't we go out for ice cream. Zheng loves ice cream, right?" Qin Yang told his son. Wes smiled and nodded his head. "Ice cream!" Wes shouted in glee. "Son, let's go?" he said He could hear his own voice falter as he talked to his son. "Yay!" Wes said. He watched his son as he ran outside. He composed himself again so  that he won't tear up in front of Wes, then he followed his son outside the house. 

 

--

 

"Peter, you have to go..."

 

Jane said as she turned her on her lover. "Qin Yang might be back soon..." she added. Peter looked at Jane sadly. "But, I thought you said he usually comes back very late?" Peter asked. All Jane could answer is a sigh. She felt guilty for having an affair with Peter. He is Melody's boyfriend, and she is married, but it was Peter who is making her happy. It was Peter who could only understand her. Qin Yang was too busy with work to even bother with her, and when he's at home, he spends most of his time with their son. 

 

"I... I don't want Qin Yang to find out about us..." Jane said. Peter draped his arm around her waist, and kissed her cheeks. "I love you, Jane. I'm willing to give up everything for you." he told her. A tear fell from her eyes as she listened to him speak. "This shouldn't happen anymore. Please leave, Peter." he told her. 

 

Peter let out a sigh. He stood up from the bed, and dressed himself. Jane did the same thing. As Peter opened the door to leave. he saw Qin Yang standing by the door, staring angrily at him. He was surprised to Jane's husband home that early. "Q-qin Yang ge..." Peter stuttered. Jane looked back, and was shocked to see her husband. 

 

Qin Yang balled up his fist. Then, he grabbed Peter by his collar, and punched him in the face. "Qin Yang!" Jane shouted. She ran up to him, to stop the fight, but before she could, Qin Yang had already pulled Peter downstairs. "Qin Yang, please stop!" Jane cried again as he followed them. Qin Yang raised his fist again, and stared at Peter's face. He knew that no matter how many times he punch him, the fact still remains that he had an affair with his wife. 

 

"I want you to get out of my house, and to get out of our lives." Qin Yang told him sternly. He pushed Peter out of the door, and slammed the door on his face. Then, he turned to his wife, who was sobbing uncontrollably. "Why?" he asked in a hurt tone. "Why did you do that? Why did you hurt me?" he asked her. 

 

"Because you were never there!" Jane shouted at him. "And Peter... he.... he was there for me..." Jane said more calmly this time as she lowered her head. "Why can't you understand? I'm working hard for us... for this family!" Qin Yang told her. "But you never had time for me!" Jane blamed him. "Peter... Peter was the one who stayed with me when I needed someone. Qin Yang, there are times when I needed you, but you weren't around. Peter has always been there for me." Jane said. 

 

Qin Yang looked at her with hurt in his eyes. "That's why you had an affair with him? Didn't you think of this family? Didn't you think how it would affect me or our son?" he asked her. Before Jane could answer, they heard someone crying from the stairs. They both looked back, and saw Wes by the stairs, crying. 

 

"Mommy, Dada, are you fighting? Please don't fight anymore!" Wes cried. Qin Yang approached his son, and carried him to console him. "Sssshhhhh, it's all right Xiao Zheng. Mommy and Dada won't fight anymore, all right?" Qin Yang told his son. Then, he looked at Jane, and he could see the apologetic look on her face. "I'm sorry, Qin Yang.." she said as she hugged her husband. "I'm so sorry..." 

 

Qin Yang;s heart melted seeing her that way. He hugged her as well. "I...I forgive you. Just don't do it again, all right?" Qin Yang told her. "I will. This will be the last time I will see him..." Jane assured him. 

 

 

--

 

"I'm home!"

 

Melody shouted as she entered the house. "Jane jie? Xiao Zheng? Where are you guys?" she asked. It was unusual that the Luo household is silent that afternoon. Usually, her nephew would be running around, and Jane would be barking at her son to stay still. "This is weird..." she thought. "Xiao Zheng? Auntie Melody has some sweets for you!" she called again to lure his nephew. ""Why isn't Zheng coming to me? Usually, when I say I have something sweet for him, he would immediately run to me?" she thought. 

 

We walked up the stairs, and looked inside Wes' room. As she opened it, she saw her nephew sleeping peacefully. "Ah, it's nap time for Xiao Zheng..." she thought. As she closed the door to his room, she heard something from Jane and Qin Yang's room. 

 

"You know we shouldn't see each other anymore. We shouldn't be doing this at all..."

"But I love you, Jane. I can't bear not seeing you for a day..."

"If Qin Yang catches us again, I don't know what he would do to us..."

"Don't think about him for now. Let's enjoy this moment together, all right?"

 

Melody felt her blood boil upon hearing who Jan was talking to. She opened the door, and saw her boyfriend kissing her sister-in-law. "Traitors!" she shouted angrily at them. Peter broke their kiss upon hearing Melody's angry shout. "How could you do this to me?!" Melody shouted at Peter. She walked to him, and hit him. Peter caught her hands, so she stopped. "Melody, let me explain..." Peter told her calmly. "What is there to explain?! I caught you kissing my sister!" she told him, trying to hit him again. 

 

She looked at Jane, and she could see her crying. This made her even more angry. "And you, why did you betray my brother? My brother loves you so much!" Melody shouted angrily at her. "I'm sorry..." Jane managed to say in between sobs. Melody walked up to her and slapped her on her cheek. Jane could feel the pain on her cheek, but it's nothing compared to the pain Melody is feeling right now. "That's for my hurting my brother." she told her. Melody slapped her other cheek so hard. "And that's for hurting me." she said. 

 

"Melody, please stop..." Peter pleaded. He put his hands on her shoulder, but Melody whisked it away. "Don't touch me!" she shouted at him. "Melody, listen to me." Peter pleaded again. He wanted to hold her, but Melody struggled to be away from him. "No!" Melody shouted at him as she cried. Accidentally, Peter pushed Melody on the wall. As she fell on the floor, she saw blood trickling down her legs. 

 

"Melody?" Jane called. She was still in the state of shock seeing her sister-in-law in that condition. "No...." Melody said in a faint voice. It was that scene that Qin Yang found in their room. He had heard the fight from downstairs, and he knew right then that Melody had caught Jane with her boyfriend. "No..." he heard his sister cried again. 

 

Qin Yang knew he had to confront both Jane and Peter about their relationship, but he had to help his sister first. "Mei mei!" he shouted. He ran up to his sister, and carried her away out of the room. 

 

--

 

"Dr. Luo, your sister is safe now."

 

Qin Yang sighed with relief upon hearing what his fellow doctor said. "But..." Qin Yang looked up at the doctor, and saw him shake his head. "I'm sorry, we were not able to save her baby." Qin Yang was surprised upon hearing what he said. "My sister is pregnant?" he asked. The doctor nodded his head. "Two months. I'm sorry, Dr. Luo." the doctor said as he patted his shoulder. 

 

After the doctor left, Qin Yang went to his sister's room. She was sleeping peacefully on her bed when he found her. He sat by her bed, and held her hand. Slowly, Melody woke up and opened her eyes. "Ge ge..." she called as she sat up. She looked at him, and tears began to roll from her eyes. "Ge ge... my baby?" she asked. He had to give her the bad news. He knew his sister would be devastated, but she had to know. "I'm sorry, mei... the baby... the baby is gone..." he told her. With that, Melody began to sob. 

 

"I'm sorry..." he told her. Then, he pulled her sister to hug, and let her cry in his shoulder. "I'm sorry ge ge wasn't able to protect you. I'm sorry that you have to be hurt this way." he whispered to her. "How... how could they do this to us? Why do the people we love have to hurt us this way?" she asked. Qin Yang closed his eyes, and held her tight. A tear fell from his eyes as well. He wished he could answer his sister's question, but he doesn't know the reason why things happened that way. 

 

"We will be fine, mei... One day, we will be fine..." he told her. He broke their hug, and faced her. "I won't let you be hurt anymore. And I won't let Zheng be hurt because of this." he told her. Melody just nodded her head. and hugged her brother again. 

 

--

 

Qin Yang found Jane at the chapel of the hospital. He walked up to her, and sat beside her. "How's... how's Melody?" she asked. Qin Yang could see the remorse in her face as she turned to him. "She's fine now. But she lost the baby." he told her. Jane looked away from him, and lowered her head. "I'm sorry... I'm sorry... this is all my fault..." she said. 

 

Qin Yang looked at the altar as tears began to fall from his eyes. "Tell me honestly, Jane. Do you still love me?" he asked him. Jane looked at him. "We both know since we were you, we were arranged to be married. We married at a very young age. And even if that's the case, you know how much I love you, right? And I still love you. But what you did... your betrayal... it hurt me more. Not only did it hurt me, it also hurt my sister. And it's going to hurt Zheng." Qin Yang told her. 

 

Then, he looked at her, and let out a sad smile. "If you tell me that you still love me, I can forget everything. We can start over and fix this family. We can be happy - you, me and Zheng..." he told her. Jane looked away from him again, and cried. "I wish I could still love you the way that you loved me, Qin Yang... but I don't feel the same way anymore..." Jane told her. "Is it because of Peter?" he asked. He saw Jane slowly nod her head. "Does he make you happy?" he asked again. "I feel I am the happiest when I am with him." she said. 

 

Qin Yang closed his eyes for a long time. Another tear fell from his eyes as he made a decision that moment. "Then, I'm letting you go." he told her. Jane was surprised at what he said. "I can't tie you down if you no longer love me. I can't ask you to stay if you're not happy anymore. I love you, Jane, and it means that I have to let you go to prove my love for you, then I'll do it." he told her. Jane looked at him with disbelief. "Qin Yang..." he called. Qin Yang let out a sad smile. Then, he reached for her face and touched her cheek. "If this is one thing I can do to make you happy, I'll do it. Just please let me have Zheng's custody. I promise to take care of our son." 

 

Jane cried again as she held his hand. "I'm sorry... I'm sorry for hurting you and Melody. I'm sorry for not loving you anymore." she told her tearfully. "Just promise me you'll be happy, always." he told her. Jane nodded her head as she cried. 

 

--

 

"Her you go, Zheng. Have some more cookies!" Jane said as he fed his son. It was the day she's about to leave their house, and she was just waiting for Qin Yang so that she could properly say goodbye to him. Jane smiled at his son, and patted his head. The little boy gave him a toothy smile. "Xiao Zheng, can you promise one thing to mommy? When you eat sweets, will you think of her?" she asked the little boy. The little boy smiled, and nodded his head. Then, she hugged her son. "Zheng, always remember that mommy loves you so much, OK?" Mommy will always think of you and love you." she told him. She was trying her best not to cry in front of his son. Even if it's the last time, she wants his son to have memories of him being a good mother. 

 

Shortly after, Qin yang has arrived. It was Jane's cue to finally leave. "I'm home." Qin Yang said sadly to Jane. Jane stood up, and approached him. "You're finally here." she said. Qin Yang looked at her luggage on the floor, and then looked at her sadly. He knew Jane would be leaving today, and he wanted to say goodbye one last time before she leaves. "So, you're ready to go?" he asked. Jane nodded her head. "Promise me you and Melody will take good care of Xiao Zheng..." Jane said. Qin Yang nodded his head. "We will. You don't have to worry about him." Qin Yang said. 

 

Jane walked towards his son, and kissed her one last time. "I love you, Zheng..." she said tearfully as she looked at his son. Wes, who had no idea was happening, just smiled at his mother. "I love you, mommy!" he said. She hugged his son for a long time. By the time she let go of him, she was in tears. She took her luggage, and looked at Qin Yan. "Goodbye..." she said to him. Qin Yang remained silent as tears fell from his eyes. 

 

As Wes saw his mother leave the door, he climbed down the chair, and ran after her. "Mommy?" he called. Qin Yang saw Wes wanted to follow Jane. Jane paused walking and looked back. "Mommy!" Wes called again. At that moment, she wanted to go back to his son. But she saw Qin Yang took Wes, and stopped him from running after him. "Just go now..." Qin Yang told Jane as he cried. "Please leave before I regret my decision." Qin Yang said. "Mommy! Mommy don't leave me! Mommy!" Wes wailed as he looked at his mother. Jane looked away from them, started to walk away from them. As she hears her son cry, Jane couldn't help but tear up as well. 

 

And she knew, that will be the last time she will see his son.

 

[End of Flashback]

 

--

 

Qin Yang slowly opened the door of Wes' room, and saw him sleeping peacefully. Seeing Wes made him remember what happened in the past. It doesn't help that Wes had his mother's eyes. But he didn't regret a thing. He knew Jane became happy with her life. Even if Wes had been hurt when his mother left, he still grew up to be the man he wished him to be. 

 

"I'm sorry, son..." he thought as he stared at Wes. "I'm sorry that your father is weak. I'm sorry that you got hurt because of me. But, I don't want you to be hurt if you found out the truth about your mother. I don't want you to end up resenting her... everything I did, I did because of you... I just hope you'll find it in your heart to forgive her when you meet her...." Qin Yang thought. 

 

--