Growing Up

Me And The Girl Next Door

9 years later, and they were already in High School.

 

"Fei Fei! Hurry up!"

 

Wes looked at his watch. He had been standing in front of Sylvia's house for the last 10 minutes, and she had not come out. A few seconds later, the door opened, and Sylvia came out. "Sorry. I want to make sure my assignment's on my bag. Wes looked at her, and smirked. "I'm pretty sure it's still on your table on your room. Sylvia pouted at him,then she began to look at inside her bag. "But it's here!" she told him. 

 

Wes patted her head. "I'm just joking.  Come on, I want to buy some breakfast before we head to school." he said. Then, Sylvia gave him puppy eyes. "Are you going to treat me for breakfast?" she asked. "Of course, I will! I just got my allowance. Let's go?" he said. Sylvia nodded her head. Then, Wes held her hand as they walked towards the school. 

 

--

 

The moment they entered the classroom, Wayne greeted them. "Wes! Sylvia! You're already here!" he said. Then, Sylvia handed him a paper bag. "We didn't forget your breakfast." she said. Wayne took the paper bag from her hand. "Wow! Thank you, Sylvia! You're the best." he said. "Here, have some coffee too. You might fall asleep in class later." Wes said, putting a paper cup on his table. 

 

Wes went to his seat, then Diana came up to Sylvia. "Sylvia, have you heard the news?" she asked. Sylvia shook her head. "There's a new transfer student here in Dong Han! And I heard he's a cutie." Diana told her. "Well, I'm not interested in anyone that cute." Sylvia said as she took her seat. "You didn't know, Diana? In Sylvia's eyes, only Da Dong is the most handsome." Wes told him. Then, she put her elbows on the table and made a dreamy look. "And strong too." she added. 

 

With the look on Sylvia's face, Wayne became confused. He then nudged Wes. "Why does she make that face when she talks about Da Dong?" he asked. "Da Dong is her prince charming." Wes told Wayne. "But I'm more handsome that that Da Dong." Wayne told Sylvia. "At which part?" Sylvia snapped back at him. Wes and Diana could only laugh, while Wayne pouted at her. "Aiyo, don't mind what Sylvia said. Wayne is still the best for me." Diana told Wayne. This made him blush. "Especially if he helps me with my Math homework." Diana added with a wink. With that, Wes and Sylvia laughed while Wayne pouted at her. "Why am I even friends with you." he snarled at Diana. 

 

As the bell rang, Wes nudged Sylvia. "Hey, we're ready for Aunt Melody's surprise later, right?" he asked her. Sylvia smiled, and gave him a thumbs up sign. Then, the teacher came, and the classes began. 

 

--

 

It was lunch time, and Wes and Sylvia were walking back to their classroom after buying some sweets at the cafeteria. "Yum! I just love the cookies at the cafeteria." Sylvia said as she made another bite of the cookie she's holding. Wes gave her a disgusted look. "Why do you even like too much sweets? You do know you can get diabetes from eating too much of those?" he said, pointing at the cookie she's holding. "Because life is sweet. And even if I die eating these cookies, then I die a happy girl!" she said. "Dying with just eating and not getting yourself a boyfriend?" Wes asked. He raised an eyebrow at her. "Dying with just eating sweets, and not even getting yourself into college, or worse, a boyfriend?" He asked. Then, he let out a laugh. 

 

"I don't need a boyfriend. I'd rather be surrounded by all kinds of sweet than be brokenhearted, like Sunnie jie jie or Diana, or Cosmos." Sylvia said. "Fei Fei, do you really want to be a spinster? Do you really want to grow old alone with a hundred cats?" 

"No, I want to grow old and die eating sweets."

Wes shook his head in resignation. "You're so impossible, Fei." he said. 

 

Just then, a male student stood in front of them. "Sylvia, can we talk?" he asked. Sylvia and Wes looked at each other. "Hu Wei Jie, you're already talking to my little sister." Wes told him. He put his hand on his waist, and looked at him sternly. "B-but... I want to talk to her privately." Hu Wei Jie said. "If you have something to tell me, you have to tell it to my big brother too." Sylvia said as she put his arm on Wes' arms. "Well..." Hu Wei Jie scratched his head as he looked down on his feet. 

 

"Speak up now. Don't waste our time." Wes said in an annoyed tone. "Well... I want to ask you, Sylvia, if you want to go out on a date with me?" Hu Wei Jie asked. Both of them were surprised at what Hu Wei Jie said. The two of them looked at each other again. Wes had a questioning look in his eyes, and as if she could read his mind, Sylvia shook her head as an answer. "I'm not allowing my little sister to go out with you." Wes answered. Hu Wei Jie was surprised. "Why are you answering for her?" 

"Why not? She's my little sister. I'm his big brother."

"You're not even her real big brother."

"Doesn't matter. I'm not allowing my sister to go out on a date with you."

 

Hu Wei Jie pouted at him. He scratched his head as he walked away from the two. "Thank you, my big bro." Sylvia said with a smile. "Hu Wei Jie isn't that bad. Why won't you go out with him?" Wes asked her. "Didn't you remember? He used to pick on Wayne all the time. And besides, he's not like Da Dong." Sylvia said. Wes could only sigh upon hearing her answer. "At this rate, you sure are going to be a spinster." he said. Then, he snatched the cookie from her hand, which surprised her. "Hey! That's my cookie!" she pouted. She watched as he put everything inside his mouth. "I thought you hate sweets."

"I can like sweets from time to time, can't I?"

"You're buying me sweets later when we go home."

"All right. I'll buy you the biggest chocolate bar we'll find!"

 

The two then went on their way to the classroom. 

 

--

 

Before the two went home that afternoon, they went to the supermarket to buy some things they will be needing for Aunt Melody's surprise party. As they reached their homes, they noticed a moving truck parked in front of one of the empty houses. "Seems like we have a new neighbor." Wes commented. Sylvia nodded her head. "Mom said the new neighbor will move in two weeks by now." Sylvia said. Wes just nodded his head. 

 

They went inside Wes' house and decorated the whole place. A few hours later, Sylvia's mother came to bring in the food for the party. "I think we're all set. Do you think Aunt Melody will love it?" Wes asked Sylvia. Sylvia nodded her head. "I'm pretty sure she will be touched." Sylvia said. Just then, Wes saw her Aunt's car coming. "She's here!" Wes said. He immediately closed the lights, and he, Sylvia and Pauline began to hide. A few minutes later, Melody was inside the house. "Zheng, are you home?" she called. Melody was confused as to why the whole house is still dark. Usually, at that time, Wes would be home. 

 

Then, she turned the lights on. "Surprise!" she heard everyone shout. She looked back, and saw Sylvia popping a confetti, Pauline holding a cake, and Wes holding a "Bon Voyage" banner. Melody was in tears upon seeing their surprise party. "You guys..." she said as she wiped her tears. Wes approached his aunt, and wiped the tear on her cheek. "Auntie, don't cry. You won't be pretty anymore if you do!" he said. "Don't be like that, Zheng. And besides, didn't I tell you, no parties before I leave?" Melody said. Pauline then approached Melody. "Aiyo, don't blame the kids. Wes only wants to make you happy before you leave for Canada." she explained. 

 

A few months ago, Melody received an offer from a company in Canada. At the same time, her boyfriend who resides there had finally proposed to him. Melody had been debating for so long if she should go or not, because if she will, she will have to leave Wes alone in Taipei. It took her a lot of convincing from Wes to accept the offer. "I'm grown up now, Auntie." she remembers Wes telling him that when she mentioned the offer. "Besides, you have been taking of me for a long time. It's time for you to chase your dreams. After all, you deserve it. Don't worry about me, Auntie. I can take care of myself here." he said. 

 

Seeing how Wes had grown up, Melody was very happy. Even if his father is away, and his mother never bothered about him. he grew up to the gentleman that he is right now. And that made her realize that Wes is right, that maybe she can leave him to live on his own. 

 

"Oh, I will definitely miss this when I go  to Canada." she told them. "You don't have to worry about a thing. I promise to keep an eye on Wes while you're away." Pauline said. Another thing that made it hard for her to leave is that her neighbors had been like a family to them. It was that reason that they finally decided to settle in Willow street, and buy the house they're currently living. Pauline and her family made their stay very convenient and comfortable, since they treat Wes like their own son. 

 

"But I will definitely miss the friendship, and the time we spend together, Pauline. I don't think I can find something like this in Canada." Melody said. "You can always come back here. This is your home auntie. And we, we'll always be your family." Sylvia told her. 

 

Melody looked up at Wes, and saw him smilig at her. "From now on, auntie, you don't have to worry about me." He said. Then, she let out a laugh. "Why do I have a feeling you really want me to go, huh? You have to promise me you'll be a good boy while I'm gone." She said. Wed raised his right hand. "I promise I will!" He said.

 

"All right!" Melody said as she smiled at them. "Let's all eat. I'm hungry!" 

 

--

 

It's the day of Melody's flight to Canada.

 

Wes and Sylvia drove his aunt to the airport that day. "So this is it..." Melody said as she smiled at her nephew. "You have to promise me you'll take care of yourself, all right?" Wes nodded as he smiled sadly. All his life, he had been with his aunt. This would be the first time that they would be separated for a long time. "I'll be OK, auntie. You have to take care of yourself there, especially during winter, all right?" he said. Melody nodded his head. 

 

Wes couldn't help but cry in front of his aunt. She was more than an aunt - she was like a mother to him. "I'll call you from time to time to check on you. Don't worry, I'll be back before your high school graduation." she said. "I'll look forward to it." 

 

Then, they heard her flight being announced. "I have to go. Zheng, be careful when you drive on your way back home all right? Sylvia, I'm sorry I have to trouble you to look after your friend." Melody said. "You don't have to worry, Aunt Melody. I'll take care of Zheng the way he takes care of me." she said. For the last time, Wes hugged his aunt tight. "I'll miss you. Call me as soon as you land, all right?" he said. 

 

After he let her go, he watched as his aunt went inside the gates. Wes just remained standing there looking at the gate. She could see the sadness in his eyes. "She'll be fine. You'll be fine..." Sylvia consoled him. "I never thought I'd feel this feeling once again."

"What feeling?"

"The feeling of being left behind..."

 

Sylvia looked up at him, and saw the sadness in his face. She knew his story since he was a child - the time his mother left them, and the time his father left abroad to work. She knows he felt being abandoned right now. "You still have me." she told him. Wes looked at her smiling face. "You still have me and my family. I promise I'll never leave you." Wes smiled at her. "I know, aunt leaving is just a temporary thing. She will be back soon, right?" Wes said. Sylvia nodded his head. "And when your dad comes home for good, you won't be alone anymore." Sylvia added. "And once I get a girlfriend..."

 

Wes looked at her, and he saw her smile turn into a pout. "Oh, come on, Fei Fei. You have to accept the fact that your big bro is so handsome. I'm going to have a girlfriend one of these days." he said. "As long as I approve of her!" she shouted at him. This made Wes laugh. then, he ruffled his hair. "Of course, I will make sure my pesky little sister will approve of my future girlfriend. How can I be happy if my future girlfriend and my little sister will not get along?" he said. This time, Sylvia smiled. "But you have to promise me, your boyfriend should also be approved by me." he added. "I know you already approve of Da Dong." 

 

Wes just laughed. "Let's go home." he said as he started to walk away from the airport. "Let's buy something to eat first!"  she shouted at him. "As long as you're buying!"

 

--

 

Sylvia was busy reading a book when Diana nudged her. "Hey, I heard the new guy is coming today." she told her. "Well then, good for him." Sylvia said monotonously. Diana pouted at her. "Sylvia Wen, you're the only girl I know who's not interested in boys." she commented. Sylvia just continued to read her book. 

 

Just then, the bell rang. All the student scramble to get back to their seats. A few seconds later, their teacher, Ms. Han came inside the room. Tailing behind her is the new student. "Get back to your seats, everyone." She heard Ms. Han say. As Sylvia put her book down, her eyes became fixed to the young man behind her. "Class, I want you to meet Sam Lin. From now on, he will be your classmate."

 

She doesn't know why, but there was something about that boy that made her feel drawn to him.