The Breakup

Me And The Girl Next Door

She sat on her bed and gently folded the paper on her hand. She stared blankly at it, until it formed into a butterfly. She lifted her hand as she looked at it, and then a tear fell from her eyes.

 

"Sylvia?"

 

She looked at the door, and saw Ella. She put down the paper butterfly and wiped her tears. "Ella jie, I didn't know you're here." She said. Ella engered her room, and placed a tray of food on her bedside table. "I thought you'd be hungry by now so I brought you sonething to eat." Ella explained.

 

Ella noticed the paper butterfly on her lap. Curious, she took it. "This is a nice origami..." Ella commented. Sylvia forced herself to smile. "Zheng taught me how to fold that one when we were young. He said, if we make a wish and it becomes a real butterfly, the our wish will come true."

"So, did any of your paper butterflies became real?"

 

Sylvia let out a weak laugh. "No. But whenever I make a wish, a real butterfly would appear."

"So you  made this to make a wish?"

 "I want to give this to Sam so that his wish would  come true..."

 

Sylvia smiled sadly this time. "I was thinking about what you  said the other time, and I think  you're right. I should face him eventually. We need to sort this out. But I'm scared he won't choose me..." She said. Ella felt sad for her. She took ber hand and held it tight.  

 

"Sylvia, sometimes not being chosen is a blessing." Ella told her as she smiled. Sylvia gave her a puzzled look. "What do you mean?" She asked. "If the person we love   doesn't love us back, maybe it's because we're not fated to be with them. There is someone  else meant for us." She said.

 

Ella let out a  sigh as she reminisced at her past memories of her first love.  "You know when I was younger,   I used to be in love with my best friend." She said. Sylvia gave her a curious look. "What happened?" She asked. Ella let out another sigh. "He didn't love me back."

"Oh, that a lot."

"No it didn't."

"Why?"

"Because by not being loved by him, I found the person who had been loving me all this time. And for me, he is the right one. Yes, you may get hurt, especially with the wrong one. But, imagine how good and  wonderful it would feel if you are loved by the right one."

 

Ella brushed her cheek as she smiled at her. "Yes, not being loved back really . But then it gives way for the right one to come into yiur life. Remember this, you are still young. You'll meet other guys or kiss many frogs before you find the one that will choose you and only you."

 

This time, Sylvia smiled happily at her. She felt all her worries are gone as she talks to Ella. "Ella jie, I'm glad I'm able to talk to you about my heartache. Because your words seem to ease the pain a bit." She said. Ella smiled at her, happy that she was able to smile genuinely now. "I'm glad to be of help. Always remember, if you need someone to talk about matters of the heart, I'm just here." She said. Sylvia nodded her head, and gave Ella a hug.    

 

--

 

"Ella jie, I'm going!" Sylvia said as she rushed down the stairs. Ella, who was working at the kitchen, looked at her, and smiled. "Don't forget your lunch. I also made one for Wes." Ella said as she handed her her lunch bag. Sylvia took the bag from her hand, and smiled. "Thank you so much, Ella jie. I'm sure Wes will enjoy the food you prepared for today." she said. "Then, I hope you enjoy it too. Take care on your way to school, all right? Study well!" Ella said. 

 

She headed at the door. And as she opened it, the first person she saw is Wes, waiting for her. He let out a warm smile as he walked towards her. "Ready to go?" he asked. Sylvia let out a faint smile. "Ready." she said. Wes took her bag, and then held her hand as they walked to school. 

 

Wes noticed how quiet Sylvia is. "Are you all right?" he asked. Sylvia nodded her head. "I'm OK. I'm just nervous." she said. "Why?"

"I don't know how to face Sam."

Wes let out a sigh. "Sam hasn't gone to school since last week. I'm not sure if he would be in class today." he said. Sylvia paused for a while. "Oh...." she muttered. He looked at her, and saw her face turn sad. "What's wrong?" he asked. 

 

Sylvia let out a sigh. "I hope I could have the chance to talk to him today. So that we could clear things. So that we could make the right decision for us. I... I just wanted a closure from him." she said. Then, she looked up at him, and forced a smile. "I just want him to be happy." she said. 

 

Wes could feel his heart aching as she looked at her. She was smiling, yet her eyes are still sad. She wanted the boy she loves to be happy, even if it pains her. "Then, whatever you two decide,  I hope it will be for the best." he said. Sylvia nodded her head. "It will be, Wes. It will be."

 

--

 

It was after class. Diana and Wayne were left alone in the classroom.   "Which looks cute, this one or this one?" Diana asked as she showed her two ribbons - a pink one and a yellow one. "I like the yellow one. It looks cute on you." Wayne told her. "It's not for me, it's for Sunnee. It's part of her wardrobe as the muse." Diana told him. Wayne could only scratch his head. "All right... but the yellow one looks good on you too." he said. 

 

Just then, Diana saw Sam went inside the classroom. Wayne could see her expression change to an angry one. "What are you doing here?!" Diana shouted at Sam. She stood up from her chair and marched to him. Wayne, worried about how Diana will confront him, hurriedly followed her. "Diana... don't be too hot-headed..." he calmed her down. 

 

Sam took a deep breath as he faced her. "I'm just here to take some things. Don't worry, I'm not here to bother anyone." Sam said calmly. "I can't believe how thick-faced you are! After what you've done to our friend? Where are you getting that kind of confidence?" Diana said angrily at him. She was shaking as she confront him. Wayne held her by her shoulder to calm her down. "Diana..." he mumbled. 

 

"I'm sorry for what happened..." Sam could only say. This made Diana even more angry. "Sorry? Is that all you can say? You hurt Sylvia!" she shouted. Then she pushed him, and hit him with her hand. "How could you do that to her? How could you cheat on her? My friend loves you so much! Do you know how much pain you had caused her?!" Diana shouted as she hit him.

 

Sam just let her hit him. Diana was almost in tears as she confronts Sam.  Wayne tried to stop Diana, but he couldn't. "Diana!" They heard someone  shout. They looked at the door, and saw Wes approaching them.

 

"I think this matter is between Sylvia and Sam..." Wes told her. "Our friend got hurt! Aren't you going to do anything?" Diana questioned him.    Wes let out a sigh. "If you mean by physically hurting him, believe me, it's hard not to punch him in the face." Wes told her. Then, he looked at Sam. "If there's anyone who should do it, it should be Fei Fei." Wes added.      

 

Sam looked away from his piercing look. "Are you ready to talk to her?" Wes asked him. Sam remained silent. "Have you made your decision? Because this can't last for so long. If you have not made your choice, I swear to God..." Wes clenched his fist as he talked to him. "Where is Sylvia?" Sam asked as he looked at him. "At the rooftop." Wes told him. Sam nodded his head. 

 

As Sam headed by the door, Wes spoke to him again. "I hope you do the right thing, Sam. Don't hurt my best friend." he told him before he left the room. 

 

--

 

Sylvia was at the rooftop, sitting at the bench and staring at the paper butterfly on her hand. She was hoping Sam would come to class that day so that they could talk, but Sam did not go to school. She just wanted to have a closure, to have answers to her questions. She wanted him to assure her that everything will be all right, that he chooses her, and that things will go back to before. But she knew that isn't going to be the case. 

 

"Sylvia..."

 

She looked up, and saw Sam walking up to her. She stood up, and smiled at him. "Sam..." she called.She immediately ran up to him, and hugged him tight. "You're here. You're finally here." she said as she buried her face on his chest. "We need to talk...." Sam told her. 

 

Sylvia looked up at him. She doesn't know why, but tears couldn't help but form in her eyes as she looked at him. "I'm sorry, for what you have seen that day. Xue Fu...she is... she is not just a childhood friend. She is the girl I will marry someday." Sam began to explain. It was just a start of his long explanation, and yet her heart is starting to  break. "And she... she's Brent's girlfriend." Sam added. "Then, if she is Brent's girlfriend, why did you kiss her?" Sylvia managed to ask. "Because she asked me if I still love her. I realized, I am still in love with her." 

 

Sylvia closed her eyes as a tear fell from her cheek. "I'm sorry, Sylvia. Don't ever think that I didn't love you. I did, I really did. What we had is special. It's just that, Xue Fu is the one I'm meant to be with for the rest of my life. Even if I didn't want to. Even if I choose you over and over. Xue Fu and I are arranged to be married by our fathers. I know my father well. He can hurt anyone who would get in his way. And I don't want him to hurt you, or your family." Sam told her. 

 

"But... but do you really love Xue Fu?" Sylvia asked. Sam nodded his head. "I had loved her for a long time. It's just that, she's in love with Brent. Now that she came back, I realized I want to be with her." Sam said. With his answer, Sylvia knew her decision was right. she remembered what Ella had told her the other night, when she found her crying in her room. She wiped the tears from her face, and smiled sadly at him. "Then, I hope you're happy with your decision." Sylvia said. 

 

Sam was surprised at her reaction. He was expecting him to cry, or beg him to stay. But instead, she stood before him, wishing for his happiness. "A friend told me, if you love two people at the same time, choose the second one. Because if you really loved the first one, you wouldn't have fallen for the second one. I guess, she's right, because you're choosing Xue Fu, and not me." Sylvia said. Sam looked sadly at her. "Sylvia..."

 

Sylvia took a deep breath, and smiled at him. "Do you have a wish? Maybe I can make your wish to come true." she said. "A wish?" he asked. Sylvia nodded her head. Then, she took his hand, and placed the paper butterfly on his palm. "With this paper butterfly, I grant you the wish you wanted you most. And with this paper butterfly, I will also wish for your happiness." she said. Then, she looked up at him. "I'm letting you go. I'm letting you go, so that you can chase after your happiness. I'm letting you go so you can be with the one you really love. Thank you for the happy memories you shared with me. And thank you for loving me, even if this love story has to end soon." she said. 

 

As soon as Sylvia said that, they saw a small butterfly flying around Sam. "Look! There's a real butterfly after I made my wish. I'm pretty sure your wish will come true too!" she said, trying to be happy. "Sylvia, I'm sorry..." Sam said sadly. Sylvia shook her head. "Don't be sorry, Sam. If you say that, it means you regret loving me." she said. "Then, I guess this is goodbye?" he asked. "This is goodbye." she answered. "I'm... I'm leaving for France to be with Xue Fu. I hope one day our paths will cross again. And maybe then, we can be friends." he said. "Maybe, if I have learned to unlove you, we will be friends again." Sylvia said. 

 

She gave him one last smile. As she turned around and walked away from him, tears began to fall from her eyes. She covered , for she didn't want him to hear her sob. She wanted him to remember her smiling at him. 

 

--

 

Wes waited by the stairs for Sylvia. As he heard footsteps, he took a look. He saw Sylvia walking down the stairs as she cried. "Fei Fei..." he called. Sylvia looked up at him. Then, she smiled amidst the tears in her eyes. "I've made my decision today." she said. "What was your decision?" Wes asked. "I let him go. It's the right thing to do, right?" she asked. Wes remained silent, not answering her. "But it hurts, Zheng... it hurts..." she said as she finally broke down. 

 

Wes pulled her into a hug as she let her cry. As he consoled her, He felt something in his heart. He felt his heart is in pain seeing her this hurt. And his heart began to race as he held her close.