Catching Up

Me And The Girl Next Door

"How are you, son?" 

 

Wes looked at the monitor and smiled, as he video chat with his father and aunt. "I'm doing fine dad. How about you? Where are you right now?" Wes asked. He saw his father smiled. "I'm just two hours away from Taiwan." his father said. Wes gave him a confused look. "Japan? Hong Kong?" Wes asked. His father shook his head. "I'm here in the Philippines. There was a strong typhoon that hit one of the province here, so I went to help out." he said. 

 

Since Wes was young, his father has been working abroad. From time to time, he would join Doctors Without Borders to do volunteer work. "Is it that bad?" Wes asked. "A lot became homeless, and got hurt. I worry about the kids, as the situation is hard for them." he said sadly.  Wes let out a sigh. He could imagine how devastating the situation is. "I wish I could graduate from high school and then med school so that I could join you with the volunteer work. I want to help out those kids too." Wes said. 

 

Qin Yang let out a smile as he looked at his son. Even though he had been away for so long and has not been there to see him grow up, he was happy to see he turned out to be a kind and caring person. "I promise you, after you graduate from high school, you can join me for volunteer work." Qin Yang said. Wes let out a smile. "I'm looking forward to that, dad." he said. 

 

A few seconds later, Melody joined their video chat. "Hello everyone!" Melody said cheerfully. "Aiyo, Aunt Melody, you look more beautiful today!" Wes complimented her. Melody giggled like a school girl. "Aiyo, you're such a sweet talker, Zheng." Melody said. "Don't be fooled, mei mei. Wes is just using what I've taught me about courting a girl." Qin Yang said. Melody's face light up upon hearing that. "What? Zheng is courting someone? Tell me, is it Fei Fei?" Melody asked. 

 

Wes choked upon hearing that. "Auntie! You know my relationship with Fei Fei. She's my little sister. It would be awkward if I suddenly fell in love with her." Wes said. "But you look good together! When you were younger, it has always been my wish for you and Fei Fei to get married someday." Melody said dreamily. "Auntie, if I married Fei Fei, I'll die early because of her endless torture to me." Wes said. The two elders laughed at him. "Wei, Zheng, who is this lucky girl who stole your heart?" Qin Yang asked. Wes let out another smile. "She's our new neighbor. Her name is Tia. She's a college student, and a part time model." Wes explained. "Wait, she's older than you?" Melody asked. Wes nodded his head. "I don't see anything wrong with that. As long as they both love each other, age doesn't matter." Qin Yang said. "But I still like Fei Fei for Zheng. Team Fei Fei!" Melody said as she made a move like a cheerleader.

 

Wes couldn't help but laugh at his aunt. He knew how much Melody loved Sylvia since they were young, and while he was growing up, she was telling him that he and Sylvia must be a couple when they grow up. For him, he could only see Sylvia as his little sister, nothing more, nothing less. He know Sylvia also feels the same, especially now that Sam is in the picture. "How about Fei Fei, does she approve of this Tia? You must remember, Zheng, best friend and girlfriend should get along together." Qin Yang said. Wes nodded his head. "She likes Tia for me. She even help me with Tia. In return, I have to  help her with her crush." Wes said. Then, he realized he almost made a slip up. He mentally hit himself in the head for doing that. "Da Dong again? How can you help her with Da Dong if he's a celebrity? Don't tell me she's like the other fan girls who always follows their idols? That girl will never get a boyfriend if she will always be a fan girl" Melody said. Wes shook his head. "I promised to go with her in Jiro Wang's next concert. Or was it Pets Tseng? I forgot which artist she wanted to watch in a concert." he said as he let out a nervous laugh. 

 

"Well, just let me know if you need money to treat her, all right? Eh, Zheng, I'll be sending over some goodies for you, don't forget to share with your little sister, all right?" Qin Yang said. "Me too! I'll send some chocolates for you and Fei Fei, all right?" Melody said. Wes made a disgust reaction. "Ugh, too much sweets. Why do you spoil Fei Fei and not me?" Wes asked his aunt. "She's going to be my neice-in-law so I should spoil her and make her feel welcome to our family!" Melody said.  Wes could only shake his head at his aunt. 

 

--

 

"Papa, here's your coffee." 

 

Sylvia walked to the living room. She placed the cup of coffee on the table, and then joined her father. Her father smiled at her, and then patted her head. "Thank you, Yu Fei." he said. Then, he let out a sigh. "This house sure is quiet without your Sunnie jie jie, right?" he commented. Sylvia let out a smile. "Isn't it good? At least you won't have to hear me and jie jie bickering at each other every day." Sylvia said. "Well, that's good. But honestly, I'd rather hear the two of you fighting every day, than have a really silent house." he said. 

 

Jack patted his daughter's head again. "Soon, you'll be off to college too. It will just be and your mom in this small house." he said sadly. "I still have a year of high school before I go to college. Besides, I still don't know what I want to do in my life. And besides, don't you want to be alone with mom? Who knows, when I leave for college, mommy will get pregnant again, and I'll get a little sister." Sylvia dad. Jack let out a laugh. "I don't think that will happen." he said. Then, he leaned to her ear, and whispered something. "Your mom is getting older." he whispered. Then the two of them laughed. 

 

"Are you two talking about me behind my back?" they heard Pauline shout at them. "Mommy darling, of course not!" Sylvia said, giving him a sweet smile. "And you, lazy man, why are you still sitting there? Aren't you supposed to fix the faucet at the back?" Pauline said. "Aiyo, my love. I just started with my coffee, why are you in a rush?" he asked. "Because I want to."  Pauline said sternly. Jack stood up and walked towards his wife and gave her a bear hug. "Aiyo, what's wrong with my little wife now? Is it that time of the month, huh?" he asked lovingly. Then, he kissed her cheek. Pauline's face reddened because of her husband's sweet gesture. "Aiyo, hubby, stop being too sweet, our daughter is watching." she said. 

 

Sylvia didn't mind watching her parents bickering then being sweet. She had always admired their relationship. "I hope one day my married life will be like yours too. It's just so perfect." she said dreamily. Jack and Pauline turned to look at their daughter, and then broke into a smile. "Sylvia, sweetie..." Pauline said as she sat beside her. "No relationship is ever perfect. Yes, you may see me and your father being sweet to each other, but we also have problems too. Sometimes, we fight about small and big things." she said. "Like how your mother wanted to pick a fight because of the faucet." Jack commented. Pauline gave him dagger looks. "But you know what made me stay in this marriage?" Pauline asked her. "What is it, mommy?" Sylvia asked. "Because all of his love rivals before are already married so I have no choice but to stick with him." Pauline said. 

 

Jack's eyes widened upon hearing what his wife said. "Pauline!" he shouted. Sylvia and Pauline laughed at Jack's reaction. "Hubby, I'm just kidding! Of course, I chose you, so I stuck with you." Pauline said, walking up to her husband. She then hugged his arm. "And I chose you because I love you." Pauline said as she looked into her husband's eyes. "I love you too, my little wife." Jack siad, kissing his wife's cheek again. When her parents started being sweet to each other, acting like she doesn't exist, Sylvia faked a cough.

 

"Oh right. Where were we?" Pauline said, trying to think where they left off before she got distracted by her husband. "Right. Go up to your room and do your homework." she said. Sylvia whined at her. "Little wife, you were talking to our daughter about relationships, remember?" Jack said. "Ah, I forgot. Well, as I was saying, no relationship is perfect, Sylvia. But that doesn't mean that when something goes wrong, you will give up and break up. A relationship shouldn't be like that. You two should make things work until the very end." Pauline said. Sylvia nodded as she listened to her mother. "And one more thing, always choose your heart. You can never go wrong, if you follow what your heart says." Pauline added. 

 

Jack put his hand under his chin as he looked at his daughter. "Why are you two suddenly talking about relationship, anyway? Fei Fei, do you have a boyfriend?" he said. He folded his arms as he looked at her for her answer. Sylvia shook her head. "I don't have a boyfriend, Papa. But I'm planning to have one in the future." Sylvia said playfully. Pauline and Jack  looked at each other, and then Jack faked a cry. This surprised Sylvia. "Papa!" she said. "Pauline, our baby wants to have a boyfriend! And in the future, she will get married!" Jack said as he continued his fake cry. He hugged his wife and continued to pretend to cry. 

 

Sylvia jumped up from her seat, and hugged her father. "Aiyo, papa, I was kidding. Of course I will finish my studies first before I get myself a boyfriend." Sylvia said. Jack and Pauline looked at her, and smiled. "Yu Fei, it's OK to have a boyfriend. But you need to know your priorities." Pauline told her. "But make sure that he will not hurt you or I will crush him and pulp him and feed him to the chickens." her father said angrily. Pauline could only shake her head at her husband. "Is Zheng courting you?" Jack asked. Sylvia shook her head. "Papa, Zheng is my best friend." 

 

"That's too bad then." Jack said. Sylvia gave her father a puzzled look. He let out a sigh, and then smiled at her. "Because the  only guy I will approve for my darling daughter is Zheng." he said with a smile. Sylvia's eyes widened with shock upon hearing that. "Papa!" she whined.