Someone's Jealous

Me And The Girl Next Door

Sylvia just finished doing her homework, when her phone lit up. She took it, and then saw a message from Sam. 

 

"I miss you." 

 

She smiled at her phone. Then, she sent I reply. "Mr. Lin, we were together the whole day, and yet you still miss me? :)" she replied.  After a while, Sam messaged her back. "I miss you when we're not together." Sam said. 

 

A few seconds later, Sam was calling her. "Hello?" she answered. "Hey, are you done with your homework?" Sam asked. Sylvia let out a smile. "I am... how about you?"

"Done with it as well. Are you about to sleep?"

"I was. How about you?"

"I can't sleep."

"Why?"

"I'm thinking of you."

 

Sylvia lay on her bed as she listened to him. "Ah, Sam Lin. Since when have you become a sweet talker?" she asked. She heard him laugh at the other line. "Seriously, I can't sleep. I'm insomniac."

"So, that's why you always sleep at the rooftop whenever you get the chance, huh?"

"Yep, that's right."

 

Sylvia let out a laugh. "Is there anything I can do so that you can sleep tonight?" she asked. "Can you sing for me?" Sam asked. "I'm not a good singer..." she said. "I know you have a good voice. Please, sing for me?" he asked again. Sylvia smiled to herself. "What do you want me to sing?" she asked him. "Your favorite song." Sam answered. 

 

Sylvia paused to think for a while. "Hmmm.. just don't laugh at me, all right?" she said. "I won't, I promise." Sam said. Then, Sylvia began to sing. 

 

"I can't be unsatisfied with your kindness

Can't be so brazen, staring at you like a fool

I still want to get closer, but afraid that if I do

I'll keep making mistakes like before

 

I can't tie down your shadow

I can't let you worry about me anymore

I want to tell you, that I really like you

Blame me for not being able to control myself

 

I try to hold it back, but how do you stop love?

Your warmth still lingers in my embrace

I desperately try to wipe out all trace, to face your earnest eyes

Forgive me for holding back my tears, acting indifferent

 

I try to forget, but how do you stop love?

Being with you is just like being in the sun

So happy that I don't want to part, I'd do anything for you

This time let me go against my conscience

And leave ahead of time"

 

By the time she finished singing, she could hear Sam snoring at the other end of the line. "Ah, my sleepy head..." she said with a smile. She was glad that she helped him with his insomnia, and he was able to sleep that night. She yawned and then slowly closed her eyes. "I love you..." she told him before she drifted off to sleep. 

 

Morning has come, and Sam woke up. He realized that night, he was able to sleep peacefully, without the nightmare that's been hunting him for months. He looked at his phone, and saw that he had not ended his call with Sylvia last night. He let out a smile, as he remembered Sylvia's sweet voice singing to him before he fell asleep. He took his phone, and listened to it. Sylvia's snoring actually made him laugh. 

 

"Thank you, my sweet little girlfriend." he told her before he finally ended the call. 

 

--

 

Wes waited outside of Sylvia's house, so that they could go to school together. A few moments later, Sylvia came out. As he looked at her, he noticed her big eye bags.  "Hey, are we dressing up as panda today?" he teased. Sylvia just yawned and rubbed her eyes. "Not enough sleep." she said. Then, she started walking. Wes soon followed her. 

 

"Why can't you sleep?" he asked her. "Sam called after I made my homework. We talked the whole night. I'm not even sure how we ended the call." she said. Wes paused, and then looked at her. He felt a little mad and disappointed at her. She's not used to staying up late, and yet she did because of Sam. 

 

"Hey, Fei Fei. Just because you have a boyfriend doesn't mean you should always stay up late." Wes said. Sylvia pouted at him. "It's just once." she said. "I'm pretty sure it will happen again. Look at you, you don't look cute if you become a panda. I prefer that you look like a cat." Wes said. With that, Sylvia smiled at him. "You still didn't forget I aspire to be a cat." she said. 

 

As they reached the school gate, Wes noticed Sam was outside. "Your boyfriend must be waiting for you." Wes told her. Syvia looked at Sam's direction, and saw him smiling at her. Wes watched as Sylvia ran to Sam, leaving him alone from where he is standing. He doesn't know what he feels the most at the moment - the hurt feeling knowing Sylvia would prefer Sam over him, or that he felt jealous of Sam. "Why am I feeling this way?" he thought. 

 

Sylvia ran to Sam, and gave him a hug. Sam hugged tight his girlfriend. "Ah, someone misses me so much." Sam said proudly. Sylvia looked up at him. "Really? Then, why is someone waiting for me outside of the school gate?" Sylvia asked. "Why does someone think that just because I'm by the school gate, that someone thinks I'm already waiting for someone?" he said. Sylvia pouted at him. She was a little bit annoyed of his answer.  Sam let out a laugh as his girlfriend make that face. "That someone is so cute when she's annoyed." he said. "So, you're not waiting for someone?" she asked. 

 

Sam showed her the plastic bag he's holding. "I bought breakfast for somone today." he said. This time, Sylvia let out a smile."Then, that someone appreciates that breakfast." she said. Soon after, Wes joined the two. He cleared his throat to let them know his presence. "Someone will be late if we don't get inside now." he said sternly. After that, he went inside the school. The two just looked at him, wondering why he is in a bad mood that morning. 

 

--

 

"How was it like having a boyfriend?" Diana asked once the two of them were alone at the classroom. Sylvia looked shyly at her as she smiled. "Sam is a sweet boyfriend." she said. "So, did the two of you already kissed?" she asked. Sylvia's cheek turned crimson read. "Aiyo! How can you ask that question? Besides, we're a new couple." she told her. "So, you did not kiss yet?" Diana asked. 

 

Sylvia nodded her head. "He kissed me on the cheek and on my forehead." she said. Diana could not believe her answer. She raised  an eyebrow at her. "Just that? How about on the lips?" she asked. Sylvia let out an awkward smile. "Do I have to?"

"Of course, Sylvia! Couples do that."

"I don't know how..."

"Did he even attempt to?"

 

Sylvia shook her head. "That's weird." Diana commented. "Maybe he doesn't know how to?" Sylvia said. "Or, maybe he's shy."

"Zheng said, a girl's first kiss should be special."

 

Diana rolled her eyes at her. "Seriously, you should stop listening to your big brother. He didn't even have a girlfriend to be the love expert." she said. "But still, Zheng is right. If Sam and  I are going to kiss. I want our first kiss to be special and memorable." she said. Diana did not argue with that. 

 

Wes, Wayne and Sam came inside the classroom, and approached the two girls. "Wayne! I'm glad you're here. I have a favor to ask." Diana said. "Sure, as long as I can do it." Wayne said. "Can you go with me at the street market later? I want to buy something pretty to wear on my date with Senior Sean." Diana said. Wayne smiled, and nodded his head. 

 

Wes could only sigh as he looked at Wayne. He wonders, how long can Wayne hurt himself and pretend to be happy in front of the girl he likes? As he ponders on that, he hears Sam talk to Sylvia. "Hey, do you want to get some snacks later? There's this cool desserts stall I've been eyeing at the park." Sam asked her. Wes saw Sylvia smile as she nodded her head. "I'd love that." she said. 

 

Wes looked at Sylvia and Sam. He let out a sigh, as he couldn't understand why he feels envious and alone when he sees them together. Then, Sylvia looked at him. "Do you want to go with us, Zheng." she asked him. Wes smiled at her, and shook his head. "You guys go ahead. I have plans with Tia today." he said. Sylvia just nodded his head. Then, Wes looked at Sam. "Sorry to trouble you with Sylvia, but I hope you take her home safely." he said. Sam smiled at him and nodded his head. "I will. Don't worry." he said. 

 

Then, Wes looked at Wayne, and saw him giving him a mischievous look. "So, you're meeting up with Tia..." he said. "Yeah, so what?" he asked. Then, Wayne turned to Diana. "Is there anyone at the street market selling chocolate kisses?" he asked, emphasizing on the last word he said. Diana shrugged her shoulder. "I don't know, but most likely, there is." she said. Wayne looked at Wes, and saw him giving him dagger looks. Wayne just let out a nervous laugh.