Confused Heart

Me And The Girl Next Door

Sylvia went out of the door, and she saw Wes standing before her. "Good morning!" Wes greeted her. Sylvia let out a smile. "G-good morning..." she said. She felt her cheek blush, seeing him smiling. "Ah, Yu Fei, stop blushing!" she scolded herself silently. "Ready to go to school?" he asked. Sylvia nodded her head. Then, he extended his hand to her. She took his hand as she smiled at him. "Let's go." she said. 

 

As they were walking to school, Wes held Sylvia's hand. She tailed behind him, glancing between their hands and his back. She smiled to herself, wishing that time would stop so she could have this moment with him longer. If they could only have a long walk to school, she'd take that chance so she could hold his hand for a long time. 

 

Then, Wes paused, and looked back at her. "What do you want for breakfast, by the way?" he asked. It was as if she was suddenly awakened from a dream when Wes talked to her. "You." she muttered. Wes gave her a confused look. Then, she realized what she just said, making her cheek turn red. "You... choose for me." she finally said. Wes let out a laugh. 

 

Then, he walked towards her, and looked down at her. "Fei Fei, did you have enough sleep?" he asked. "I did!" she said. "Good. I thought you stayed up late thinking of me." he . Sylvia pouted at him. "So what if I did?" she mumbled. 

 

Wes gave her another confused look. He finds Sylvia a little bit weird today. "What did you say?" he asked. Sylvia stared into his eyes. She felt her heart beat fast with every step he made closer to her. Then, he put the back of his hand on her forehead. "You don't look sick to me. Why are you acting so weird? Ah, I know! Must be the time of the month, right?" he asked. 

 

Sylvia didn't speak. Instead, she just gazed into his face. Wes, on the other hand, couldn't help but stare at her. Then, he broke into a smile. "But even if you're weird today, you're still cute." he told her. He turned around, and started walking to school. Sylvia walked fast to catch up with him. As soon as she was beside him, she reached for his hand, and held it. 

 

Wes looked at her, and let out another warm smile. "Ah, today sure is a good day." he said out loud. Sylvia nodded her head. "As long as you're holding my hand, I know it's going to  be a good day..." she thought. 

 

--

 

"Do you think I should go and visit Stephy again? She's so cute." Wayne told Wes as they were heading back to the classroom after buying breakfast. "Wayne, you dote on Stephy so much. Chun ge must be jealous of you." Wes told him. "But why? Stephy's a cute girl!" Wayne said. "Don't dote on her too much. If she leaves for Australia with Chun ge and Ella jie, you'll be brokenhearted. And besides, Stephy might think you want to marry her when she grows up." Wes said. Wayne let out a laugh. "She's cute. I want a sister like her." Wayne explained. Wes just shook his head. 

 

"Ah, did you mention meeting this girl yesterday at the market?" Wayne asked as they went to their desk. When Sylvia heard that, she looked up at the two. "Allie." Wes said. "Is she cute?" Wayne asked. Sylvia saw Wes nod his head. 

 

"So he met a girl?" she thought sadly. She suddenly felt jealous of the girl he just met. "So what happened?" Wayne pressed Wes. "She was lost, I guess. I helped her find her way, and then I treat her some oyster omelet. And you know the best part of it? I realized both of us are alike. We both don't like sweets, we both like oyster omelet with lots of sauce. And we're both messy eaters." Wes said. 

 

"Ah! You two sure is compatible! Did you get her number?" Wayne asked. Before Sylvia could hear his answer, she stood up, and went outside the classroom. She doesn't want to hear about her rival in Wes' heart. "I didn't. And besides, why would I get a seven year old's phone number?" Wes said. Wayne gave him a confused look. "What?" he asked. "What? You thought it was a girl the same age as us?" Wes asked. Wayne nodded his head. 

 

"Aiyo, I thought you met a new girl to date. Why are you telling me about this little girl anyway?" Wayne asked. "Because you keep on gushing about Stephy, and how you want a little sister like her! If you dote on Stephy, can't I dote on a little girl like Allie too? I don't know. It felt like Allie's someone I know. It's like she's a real little sister to me." Wes said. "You're looking for another little sister because you don't see Fei Fei as your sister anymore, right?" Wayne asked. 

 

Wes let out a sigh. "Maybe. But, of all the kids I met, this Allie felt very familiar to me. I really hope I could see her again." Wes said. Wayne sighed, and shook his head. "Only child problems." he said. Wes just let out a laugh. Then, he noticed Sylvia is gone from her desk. "Where's Fei Fei?" he asked as he scratched his head. Wayne, on the other hand, was waiting for Sylvia to pop out of nowhere, but nothing happened. 

 

--

 

Sylvia went to the rooftop to be alone for a while. She doesn't know why the thought of Wes being with another girl made her feel sad, "He met another girl... does he like her?" she asked herself. Then, she let out a sigh. "But what can I do if she like another girl? After all, I asked him to stop liking me, and to go back to being best friend. Stupid Yu Fei!" she said as she smacked herself in the end. 

 

She put her hands behind her head, and laid on the bench. She stared at the blue sky sadly, thinking of Wes and the girl he just met. "I'm pretty sure, he got her number. And I'm pretty sure they'll go on a date. Ah! Yu Fei, you're too late to realize what you feel for him, and you can't even tell him you love him. What should I do?" she asked. 

 

"What are you doing here in my secret place?" 

 

Sylvia wrinkled her brow, and looked by the door. She saw Sam walking up to her, smiling. Sylvia frowned upon seeing him. She sat up as she faced him. "It's none of your business! And how about you? What are you doing here?" she asked him. Sam folded his arms. "This is my secret place, remember?" he told her. Sylvia folded her arms as she scowled at him. "You've been gone for a long time, this is now my secret place!" she told him. 

 

Sam moved his face closer to her. Sylvia was a little surprised at what he did. "You're still cute, you know that?" Sam told her. Sylvia looked away, but not before Sam could see the pink tint on her cheeks. "And you're cuter when you blush." he told her. 

 

Annoyed, Sylvia stood up. "Will you leave me alone?!" she shouted at him as she faced him. Sam smirked as he stood up. "What if I don't want to leave you alone?" he asked. "You should leave me alone. Besides, we already broke up. Why don't you just go back to Xue Fu and annoy her?" she said in an irritated tone. "I can't go back to Xue Fu." Sam said. 

 

Sylvia gave him a confused look. "Before she left for France, we talked to our fathers and asked to break our betrothal. It took us a lot of convincing before our dads decided to cancel our engagement. I guess she still loves Brent, and will only love him for the rest of her life I'm a free guy now. So, it means I don't have to marry her." he explained. Sylvia's expression softened upon hearing that. "S-she did? But why? And didn't you go to France with her?" she asked. 

 

"She can't love me. He only sees me as a friend." he said. "But you love her, don't you?" she asked. "Well, I got confused that time. But when I got to think things through, I realized that the girl I love is you." Sam said. Sam gazed at her face lovingly, while she looked away. "Please stop..." she said in a low voice. 

 

"I chose you. I have chosen you. But before we could be together, I know I had to clear things with Xue Fu, and keep the promise I made to Brent, and that is to take care of her. Once I saw that she's OK, I decided to go back, because the one I love is right here." he said. 

 

Sam placed his hand on her shoulder, and then lifted her chin. "I still love you, Sylvia. I regret breaking your heart before. If only you could give me another chance..." he asked. "Even if you came back for me, have you ever thought that maybe my feelings for you had changed?" she asked. Sam was silent as she stared at her. "Don't you love me anymore?" he asked. 

 

Sylvia didn't answer his question. Then, Sam pulled her into a hug. He closed his eyes as he enclosed her in his arms. He didn't realize how much he missed having her in his embrace. "I love you, Sylvia." he whispered to  her. "Even if your feelings have changed, I still feel the same way. I know, you're mad at me for breaking your heart. I was so stupid to fall for Xue Fu's tricks before. But now, I'm sure about what I truly feel for you. And I'm going to fight for my love for you... I'm going to do everything until you learn to love and trust me again." he told her. 

 

She was a surprised at his hug. At that moment, she suddenly felt confused. She realized there was a little love left in her heart for Sam. "But Sam..."

 

Before she could continue what she's about to say, Sam kissed her on the lips. The confusion in her heart grew. Does he still love Sam? But what about Wes? It took her a while before she realized what he was doing. And it took her all her strength to push Sam away. "Please don't do this to me, Sam. Please don't confuse me. All these time, I know I have moved on from you. Just stop, all right?" she said. The, she turned her back on him, and ran away. Sam could only watch sadly as the girl he loves leaves him. 

 

--

 

"Why are you so silent?" 

 

Wes asked Sylvia as they were walking home. Sylvia just shook her head. "You're acting weird lately. What's wrong? Did I do or say anything that made you upset?" he asked worriedly. Sylvia just let out a sigh. "Why don't you go and annoy that Allie instead." Sylvia said as she walked in front of him. 

 

Wes got confused at what she said. "Wait, what about Allie?" Wes asked. "That girl you met that has the same likes as you?" Sylvia said. "What about her?" Wes said. Then, he stood in front of her. He inched his face closer to her, as he let out a boyish smile. "Are you jealous of her?" Wes asked. 

 

Annoyed, Sylvia turned her back on him. "Is that why you suddenly left while Wayne and I were talking about her?" Wes asked again. There was no reply from Sylvia. Then, she heard him laugh. Sylvia scowled at him as she faced him. "What?" she asked. "Allie is the little girl I helped yesterday at the market. She's the same age as Stephy!" Wes said. 

 

With that, Sylvia began to smile. "You got jealous of a seven year old?" he asked.

"Because the way you and Wayne were talking about her, she's like someone our age!"

"We talked about Allie because he kept on gushing about Stephy. And we were talking about little sisters, all right?" 

 

Sylvia sighed with relief upon hearing his explanation. Although one of her problem got solved, there is another one she have to think of, and that is Sam. She felt Wes put his arm around her. "My little sister don't have to be jealous of other little girls, because my little sister is still the best. Even if she's moody lately." Wes said. 

 

But the smile on her face slowly faded upon hearing what he said. "I'm just a little sister, right? It's my fault you only see me that way?" she said her thought aloud. She was surprised at herself for saying it aloud. Wes looked at her after hearing what she said. "What if I tell you, all these time, it's hard for me to pretend that I still see you as my little sister?" he said. 

 

Sylvia was shocked at what he said. Slowly, she turned to face him. She could see the seriousness in his face. Wes let out a sigh, and tried to smile. "Ah, forget what I said." he said. He let go of her. He turned his back on her, and continued to walk. 

 

Then, he was surprised when Sylvia ran to him, and hugged him from his back. Wes stopped, and looked back at her. Then, he let out a faint smile. "Fei Fei..." he whispered. He took her hand from him, and then turned to face him. "I don't want you to be mad at me. Just forget what I said, all right?" he told her with a smile. 

 

At that moment, Sylvia wanted to tell him that she love him. .But she knew something is stopping her. She wanted to tell him how she feels about him, but she was suddenly scared of the confusion in her heart. She knew she love Wes, but her feelings for Sam is coming back. 

 

And she can't break his heart again because of what she's feeling.