The Sleeping Prince Charming

Me And The Girl Next Door

"Wait for me here, all right?" 

 

As soon as Sylvia left the classroom, Wes went out of the door and watched her she went to the rooftop. He smiled to himself, knowing he have done something to make her much closer to Sam.

 

[Flashback]

 

A week ago.

 

"Win said he put it here. Where could it be?" Wes said to himself as he looked around the empty floor. He was looking for the basketball, which Win told him he put away at the rooftop. As he reached for the closet, he noticed that the door leading outside was open. "Is anyone here?" he asked. As he opened the door, he saw Sam lying on the old bench, sleeping. 

 

"Ah, he's here. That's why he always disappear after class." he thought. Then, he smiled. An idea struck his head. He's pretty sure that idea will make his little sister very happy.

 

[End of Flashback]

 

Wes rubbed his chin, and then let out a triumphant laugh. "Why are you laughing like an idiot?" he heard someone ask. He turned around, and saw Wayne behind him. "And why are you raining on my parade?" he asked back. Wayne pouted at him. He knew lately, Wayne wasn't in the good mood because of Diana. And he knows that Wayne is a little annoyed that he asked him to stay behind to help him clean the classroom. 

 

"Because I am not on duty today and you're asking me to help out! Where is Sylvia anyway?" Wayne asked. Wes put his arm around his neck. "Don't look for her. Anyway, wherever she is, she's enjoying right now. So just help me clean, all right?" he said. Wayne gave him an arrogant look. "I'm not doing this for free." he said. Wes then let out a sigh. "I'll treat you for breakfast tomorrow." Wes said. Wayne then smiled at him. "All right, let's clean up!"

 

--

 

Sylvia walked up to the rooftop, and then went to the cleaning closet to get a broom. As she opened the door of the closet, she noticed the the door leading outdoors is open. "Who could be here? Isn't this place supposed to be off-limits to students?" she thought. 

 

She looked around. No one is looking at her, anyway, so she decided to go outside. The moment she stepped out, she found Sam sleeping by the old bench. "He's here!" she thought. She felt her heart beat fast again. She her chest to feel her heart. Why is it that every time she's around him, her heart always races in her chest?

 

Any normal person would just leave Sam alone. After all, he might have been tired from school, and needs too take a rest before heading home. She have thought of that. But then, this is her only chance. After all, a lot of girls had been surrounding Sam lately, For a short period of time, Sam had gained a lot of admirers. And as much as she wanted to get close to him, she can't, for there's always a girl or two that would bother him. 

 

"He wouldn't mind, would he?" she asked herself as she took a step closer too him. She closed her eyes as she made another step. "Turn around now, Yu Fei. Don't disturb him." part of her said. "Go, Yu Fei! Just take a look, you won't bother him, right?" another part of her said. 

 

As she tried to wrestle with her mind and conscience, she suddenly realized she is already inches away from where Sam is. "How did I get this close to him? I should turn back!" she thought as she panicked. As she was about to turn her back around him, she heard him snore a little. She, let out a faint laugh, and then took a look at him as he sleeps.

 

Sylvia squatted as she watched him sleep. She rested her elbow on her knee, and then rested her chin on her hand as she gazed at him. She studied his facial feature, from his eyebrows to his cheeks, and down to his red lips. "No wonder girls like you, you're really handsome." she said in a low voice. 

 

She treasured that moment. Aside from the time he carried her to the clinic, this is the only time she could have alone with him. And somehow, she wished for that moment to last. 

 

Her face inched to his face, and she smiled as she gets closer to him. "You look like a sleeping prince charming. Should I give you a kiss?" she asked him. "Why not?" Sam said. Then, Sam opened his eyes. The moment woke up, Sylvia got startled. She lost her balance, and knowing she'll fall on the ground, she grabbed on to something to help her. Unfortunately, or fortunately, the thing she was able to grab is Sam's arm. She pulled Sam's arm so hard that both of them fell on the ground. She, lying with her back on the cold concrete floor, and Sam lying on top of her facing her. 

 

Her heart beats faster this time. He was very close this time, with his face only a few centimeters from hers. She gazed at his eyes, and he was looking into her eyes as well, for she could only see her reflection on his brown orbs. 

 

A second has passed, and another, and another. They were at that position for seconds, and yet it felt like forever. Then, Sam pushed himself up. "I'm sorry..." she muttered as Sam got up. Sam pulled her hand to help her up. The two of them sat on the old bench. 

 

"I thought no one would find me here." Sam said. Sylvia's face reddened. She was embarrassed that Sam saw her watching him like a hawk, and that he made him fall from the bench. She was sorry that she disturbed his slumber. "I... I was just looking for the broom at the cleaning closet. I... I saw the door is open, so I... I checked out who's here." Sylvia stuttered as she explained. 

 

"Well, what do I do to you now, now that you found out my secret place?" Sam said in a serious tone. Sylvia gave him a scared look. "I... I didn't mean to.. and... and this.. this is... off-limits..." she stuttered again. He furrowed his brow, and then moved his body closer to her. Sylvia then leaned back. then, he paused and smiled. "You look cute when you stutter." he said as he smiled. She let out a sigh of relief. Did he just say she's cute? 

 

"Can you keep this place a secret? Can you not tell anyone I hang out here?" Sam asked her. Sylvia nodded her head. "I... I will. I won't tell anyone!" she said. She raised her right hand as a sign of promise. Sam smiled at her. "And since you already found out this place, you can accompany me here." he said. 

 

Sylvia blushed upon hearing that. "If you want, you can hang out with me here. This can be our secret place." Sam said. She looked up at him, and saw his pleading eyes. "Of course. I want to hang out with you." she said. Her heart could not contain the happiness she's feeling. She got the chance to be much closer to the apple of her eye. 

 

"You know, I found this place after I was trying to run away from those girls who wants to confess to me." Sam told her. "But with me around, wouldn't it bother you?" Sylvia asked. Sam shook his head and smiled. "No, as long as it you that bothers me, I don't mind." he said. Sylvia then let out a laugh. "I've always wanted to be near you, but you're always around that tall guy." he added. 

 

Sylvia gave him a confused look. "Wes?" she asked. Sam nodded his head. "The first time I came to class, you were the first one I noticed. I thought you would be really nice and friendly. But too bad, you have a boyfriend..." Sam said. Sylvia was surprised at what he said. "Zheng is not my boyfriend!" she shouted in surprise. Sam could only laugh. "I mean, no. We can't be together. For me, Zheng is my big brother." Sylvia explained. 

 

"I know. That's why I'm happy when I found out he's not your boyfriend. But I still can't get near you, because you never left his side." 

"Am I that clingy?"

"No. Because he never let you out of his sight or his side anyway."

"You know, I've always been wanting to befriend you. It's just that you feel so distant from us, I can't even reach you."

 

Sam looked at her. He also wanted to be close to her, to be her friend. As much as he wanted to be alone, he hated the thought of being lonely. Seeing her and her friends make him long to be part of his group. "I have my reasons..." he muttered. 

 

He was scared that if they found out about his past, about why he transferred, Sylvia and her friends would not understand her. He was afraid to be judged. He's afraid that if they found out the truth about him, they will be indifferent towards him. 

 

"Why don't you hang out with us?" Sylvia told him. Sam looked at her. He wanted to say yes, but something's holding him back. "Or, if you're shy, I can introduce you to my friends. You see, they're really nice. Wayne, for example.  He may look arrogant, but he's actually a fluffy bear. He's a softie, and he's really a loyal friend. Diana may look like a snob but she's the nicest person. Wes may look tough, but he's a really friendly." Sylvia said. 

 

"I'm just scared you won't want to be my friend if you find out why I transferred." Sam said. "Why would we? Whatever it is that you did in the past, it's all in the past, right? We don't have the right to judge you." Sylvia said. Sam looked at her and smiled. Just as he thought when he first saw her, she had a kind, gentle, and innocent heart. Unlike his friends before. "Can I really be friends with you guys?" he asked. Sylvia nodded his head. "Hang out with us tomorrow, all right?" she said. Sam nodded his head. 

 

Sylvia then stood up. "I have to go. I left Wes alone for our cleaning duties today. I'll see you tomorrow, all right?" she said. Before she leaves, Sam held her hand. "Sylvia, thank you." he said. Sylvia smiled at him. "You're welcome." she said. He let go of her hand, and then watch as she retreat back. He smiled to himself as he watched her. 

 

His stay sure is made interested by a cute girl named Sylvia.

 

--

 

Sylvia went back to the classroom, and saw Wes and Wayne cleaning. Wayne was the first to notice her. "Aiyo, the princess is back." he teased. Wes then looked at her. "Did you get the broom?" Wes asked. Sylvia looked at his hand, and saw him holding the broom. Then, she looked at the broom she's holding. Then, she looked back at him angrily. She could feel a vein popping out of her forehead. "Wes Luo Hong Zheng! You know where the broom is, all these time?! You made me go up to the rooftop to get a new broom?!" she shouted angrily at him. Wes and Wayne looked at each other and laughed. 

 

"And you," she said, pointing at Wayne. "Why are you here?" 

"I'm helping Wes." Wayne said. "It's my duty today!" Sylvia shouted at him. "Hey, weren't you supposed to be happy now?" Wes said playfully. Sylvia could only give him a puzzled look. Wes and Wayne looked at each other, smiled, and gave each other a fist bump. 

 

Sylvia folded her arms as she gave him a suspicious look. "Aiyo, she's mad! Wes, you shouldn't have hidden the broom in the first place." Wayne . "She shouldn't be mad at me at all, right, Fei Fei?" Wes said. Then, it hit her. Wes knew all these time that Sam is at the rooftop. He sent her to the cleaning closet as an excuse for her to see him. 

 

Wes see her cheeks turn red. His plan succeeded, that she knew. "Aiyo, Zheng, what will I do now? I did Fei Fei's cleaning duties today? I can't do two cleaning duties in a week!" Wayne said. Wes then folded his arms. "Then, let Fei Fei do your cleaning duties next week. Who will you be with next time?" he asked. Wayne looked up, and then rubbed his chin. then, he let out a sigh. "From the schedule that the great Class President Zheng created for the cleaning duty, my partner is Sam Lin." Wayne said. 

 

Sylvia looked up at Wayne with a shocked look on her face. "I'm pretty sure Fei Fei wouldn't mind switching with you, right, Fei Fei?" Wes said as he turned to face Sylvia. Sylvia's cheeks even turned redder this time. The two boys burst out laughing with Sylvia's reaction. "All right! I'll switch with Wayne since he helped you today!" Sylvia told them. The two boys high fived. 

 

Then, Wayne took his bag. "All right, since Sylvia is here, I can go home now. Don't forget my breakfast tomorrow, Wes." Wayne said. Wes smiled and nodded his head. After Wayne left, Sylvia hit Wes's arms so hard, which made him flinch in pain. "Ouch! What's that for?!" he shouted. Sylvia made her eyes small as she gave him a suspicious look. "You set me up, didn't you?" she asked him. Wes answered her with a smile. "You knew Sam is at the rooftop, didn't you?" she asked. Wes simply smiled. "So what if I do?" he said. 

 

Sylvia lips curved into a smile. Then, she hugged his arm. "Thank you!" she said. Wes smiled at her. "Something I can do for my pesky, little sister. After all, she's the one who always encourage me and help me with Tia. Why shouldn't I do the same for her?" Wes said. 

 

"But..." Sylvia let go of his hand, and then folder her arms. "You told Wayne my secret, didn't you?" she asked. Wes pouted at her. "He's been bugging me, anyway. Besides, we can trust Wayne. He can help you get close to Sam as well." he said. He gave her a nudge. "All right. Just don't go telling everyone who my crush is." she said as she pouted. 

 

Wes put his arm around her neck. "Don't worry, your secret is safe with us." he said with a wink. 

 

--

 

He entered the room and heard the loud beeping from the machine. He looked at the far corner, and saw his bloodied friend being revived. "Brent!" he shouted. He made a step to get to him, but the nurses stopped him. "Brent!" 

 

He watched as he reached his hand. "Sam..." he heard his faint call. "Brent, Hold on! Don't leave me!" he shouted. The short beeping from the machine was replaced by a long one. There was a long line on the monitor, and it only meant one thing. He's gone, forever. He looked at him, and saw his eyes finally closed. The hand that was reaching out to him earlier has fell on his side. 

 

"Brent!"

 

Sam sat up from bed. Cold sweats fell from his forehead. It was one of those nights that made him unable to sleep again. And that night, that scene from the hospital haunted him once again.