Don't Say Goodbye

Me And The Girl Next Door

"I'm... I'm going to Australia to study..." 

 

Wayne, Diana and Sylvia fell silent upon hearing his announcement. Wayne became sad, because it means he won't be able to see his best bud for a long time. Same goes for Diana, but she's worried about Sylvia. 

 

"How... how did that happen? Why Australia?" Wayne asked. "Chun ge submitted my documents for the scholarship in his family's  company in Australia. I got the scholarship, and I can go to any university of my choice there. Before graduation, Chun ge made me take the entrance exams in University of Sydney. I got the results yesterday, along with the confirmation of my scholarship." Wes explained. 

 

"Then... we still have a lot of time together, right? We can make more memories this summer!" Diana said in a hopeful tone. "I... I will have to leave for Australia in two weeks..." Wes said. Sylvia's heart sank upon hearing that. She was looking forward to hanging out with him, and going on more dates to create more memories, but it won't happen anymore. 

 

"Then, you will be there for a long time?" Wayne asked sadly. "Until I graduate to be a doctor." Wes confirmed. Sylvia looked at Wes, and let out a smile. "I'm happy for you!" she said in a cheerful tone. She then hugged Wes, which surprised him. Diana, on the other hand, knew what Sylvia really felt inside. "I'm happy that you got this once in a lifetime. My boyfriend is so smart, and I'm so proud of him!" Sylvia said. 

 

Wes looked at Sylvia sadly. "Fei Fei..." he whispered. Sylvia looked at Wayne and Diana, and smiled. "Let's make Zheng's remaining days here in Taiwan  a memorable one, all right? Let's all make wonderful memories together before we get tortured in college." she said. "Fei Fei, aren't you bothered that Wes will be gone for a long time? 10 years, at the most!" Wayne said worriedly. Sylvia shook her head as she smiled at him. "Thank God for technology, right?" she said. Then, she looked at Wes. 

 

As she looked at Wes she was trying to stop her tears from falling. He hasn't left yet, but she misses him already. "I'm pretty sure we'll survive the long distance relationship, right? After all, it's for Zheng's future." she told him. Wes let out a sad smile as he nodded his head. 

 

"Oh my, I feel like I already miss Zheng. Who will be our big brother now when you leave?" Diana said. Wes and Sylvia let out a smile. "Then, let's all make my last days here in Taiwan a memorable one, all right?" Wes said. "We will!" the three shouted happily. 

 

--

 

Sylvia went back to her room after spending the whole day with her friends, especially Wes. As she closed the door behind her, the tears began to fall from her eyes. Wes' decision had caught her by surprise. She wasn't ready for him to leave. She wasn't ready to be away from her for a long time. 

 

She rushed to her bed, and laid down as she cried. She is scared. All her life, Wes had always been there  beside her. Whether she's sad, or happy, she always share it with him. She felt as if a big part of her will be gone once Wes leaves to study abroad. She doesn't know how she will survive without him. 

 

But she knows what he's  doing is for his future. Since young, she knew he had always wanted to be a doctor, just like his dad. Although she's happy and excited for him, she can't help but be sad with the thought she won't be able to see him for a long time. 

 

She held on to her butterfly wish pendant, and as she closed her eyes, she made a wish. She wished that even if she's away from Wes and she can't watch over him, that he will be in good hands. And that even if she is away from him, he would be able to reach for his dreams. 

 

--

 

"I'm glad you're all here..."

 

Wayne said when they all met up the next day. "Since in a few days, Zheng is leaving, we should all make memories, right?" Wayne told them. Sylvia, Diana and Wes nodded their heads. "Then, I made a plan for us for the next 10 days! Let's go to different places and do the things we love while Wes is still around." Wayne said excitedly. 

 

Diana clapped her hand as she smiled happily. "I'm excited!" she said. "We'll start now. And for our first day or making memories, let's go and eat at our favorite cafe." Wayne suggested. "I'm in!" Sylvia said as she raised her head. "Then, it's my treat." Wes said. 

 

They went to their favorite cafe, and orders the biggest parfait they had. They were all shocked to see how big the serving is. "Can we finish it all?" Diana asked skeptically. "I didn't realize that their biggest serving is this!" Wayne said, still in the state of shock. Diana and Sylvia took out their phones and took a picture of it. "I can't believe we're finally eating this..." Sylvia said as he looked at Wes. "Well, good thing it's ice cream, right? I like ice cream." Wes said. 

 

They all took their spoons, and the four looked at each other. "We can do this!" Wayne said in determination. "I won't let a big parfait lose to me!" Sylvia said. "Attack!" Wes said before they went ahead and ate up the parfait. After two hours, they were able to finish it, with Wes mostly eating the parfait. "Oh my God, my diet!" Diana said as she leaned on her chair. "That gave me brain freeze." Sylvia said. Wayne looked at Wes, still surprised he was able to eat a lot. "For a guy who doesn't like sweets, you sure finished the parfait..." Wayne said. "Except for ice cream!" Wes said. The three of them laughed at Wes. "So, another round?" Wes asked. The three whined at him. "What?" they all said in unison. Wes just laughed and made a peace sigh at them. "Just kidding!" he said.

 

--

 

The four agreed to meet at the playground that afternoon. 

 

"I wonder what Wayne has planned for us..." Wes said as he, Diana and Sylvia waited for him. "i hope it doesn't involve eating. I still have not digested the parfait from the last time..." Sylvia said as she pouted. Wes looked at his girlfriend, and let out a smile. "Ah, there's Xiao Jin!" Diana shouted as she po nted at Wayne. Sylvia and Wes looked at his direction, and saw him carrying four large water guns. "What is he going to do with those water guns?" Sylvia asked. Wes shrugged his shoulder. 

 

"I see you're all here. Sorry for making you guys wait..." Wayne said. "What's with  the water guns?" Wes asked him. Wayne let out a smile. "Remember, when we were still kids? Every summer, we play here at the playground with the water guns." Wayne said. Wes took one gun from him, and looked at it. "Water guns? This is too childish!" he said. Then, he looked at Wayne and smirked. He aimed the water gun at him, and shot water at his face. The girls let out a laugh, while Wayne pouted. "No fair!" Wayne said as he aimed his water gun at him. The two played with the water guns for a while, before Diana could comment at them. 

 

"Look at these kids, playing with water guns..." she said in a bored tone. Wes and Wayne stopped, then looked at the girls. Then, they looked at each other, and back at them. "Kids, huh?" Wayne said with a smirk. "Oh no, I know that look!" Sylvia said with caution. The girls immediately took the water guns, and shoot water at them. The boys aimed at the girls as well. The four of them ran and played around until all them are wet from the water gun. 

 

--

 

"We're finally here!"

 

Sylvia got out of the car, and took a deep breath. They went to the beach that day, and it was a long ride going there. Wes was designated driver, and they used his father's car for the road trip. "I love the beach!" Diana said as she got out. Wes got out of the car, and stretched his arms. "That drive is too tiring..." he said. Wayne patted his back and smiled. "Want me to drive on our way back?" he asked. Wes nodded his head. "Thanks, Xiao Jin." he said. 

 

They watched as the girls ran around the sandy shore. Wes let out a smile as he looked at Sylvia. "I'm worried about her..." Wes told Wayne. "I am too..." Wayne agreed. "She may look happy, but I know that's not the case. She may always smile, but I know she's just keeping her sadness inside." Wes told him. Wayne looked at him, and patted his shoulder. "Have you two talked about it?" Wayne asked. Wes shook his head. "It's just that I haven't had a chance. I don't know... maybe I'm scared. What if she decides to break up with me because it might not work?" Wes said. "I know Fei Fei loves you, Zheng. Eventually, you two need to talk about what will happen next." Wayne told him. 

 

Wes let out a sigh. "Xiao Jin, I know we have the next few days planned for us four. But, can I ask one day alone with Fei Fei?" he asked him. Wayne smiled and nodded his head. "Of course. You can have two, or three days. I'll give it to you." Wayne said. Wes smiled at him. "Thank you, Wayne." he said. Then, he hugged him tight. "Don't worry, we'll have an alone time too, wifey!" he told him. The two boys let out a laugh. "Yes! I want an alone day with my hubby too!" Wayne said. 

 

"What are you two doing?" 

 

They looked up, and saw Diana and Sylvia glaring at them as they fold their arms. "Ah, Xiao Jin, don't try to steal my Zheng from me." Sylvia threatened him. Wes and Wayne just looked at each other, and smiled. "Let's go and play at the beach!" Wes said. He pulled Wayne, and ran to the shore, leaving the two girls behind. "What the..." Diana said in disbelief. Sylvia let out a sigh. "Those two..." she said as she shook her head. "Hey, wait for us!" Diana shouted as she and Sylvia followed the two boys. 

 

During their whole stay at the beach, they played around, took pictures and made sand castles. 

 

--

 

It was evening and the four were at the riverside park. Wayne and Wes were busy setting up the fireworks that they will set off. "Are we all set?" Diana asked as they approached the boys. Wayne looked at her, and saw she's holding her camera again. "Hey, honey toast, I noticed you always have your camera with you. And you always take picture with your phone. You're missing out the moments while you take a lot of pictures!" Wayne told her. Diana shook at her and smiled. "Of course not. I'm actually capturing our moments together. Who knows when this will happen again, right? And besides, at least when we're all sad and miss Zheng, we'll look back at our memories of us four during this summer." she said. 

 

Wes looked at Sylvia, but she looked away from him. He knew she became sad at the thought of him leaving soon. Then, he looked at Wayne and Diana, and let out a smile. "Let's not get too sentimental, all right? At least Diana had proofs that this is the happiest summer we had ever." Wes said. He smiled at Diana, and gave him a thumbs up. Diana smiled back at him. Then, she looked at Sylvia, and saw the sad look in her face. She walked up to her, and put her hand on her shoulder. "Fei Fei?" Diana called. 

 

Sylvia looked up, and let out a smile. "I'm sorry. I just realized I haven't taken as much pictures as Diana did." she said.  Diana smiled at her. "It's all right, Fei Fei. I'll share my pictures with you, all right?" Diana assured her. Sylvia smiled, and nodded her head.

 

Wes smiled at them. "Well, let's make memories tonight. Xiao Jin, let's start!" Wes said. Wayne smiled at him, and nodded his head. They began to light up the the fireworks they had set up. A few seconds later, it lighted up the night sky. Diana was in awe as she looked at it. She began to take pictures if it. Meanwhile, Sylvia looked at the fireworks in the sky with sadness. Then, she looked at Wes sadly. "This will be the last time I will see the fireworks with him..." she thought sadly. 

 

Wayne noticed how sad Sylvia is. "Hey, Zheng... why don't you go and sit next to Sylvia. I can do this." Wayne told him. Wes looked at him worriedly. "Are you sure?" he asked. Wayne smiled at nodded his head. "I'll be fine, don't worry." Wayne told him. Wes let out a smile at him. "Thanks, Wayne." he said. Then, he walked up  to Syvia, and sat beside her. "Let's watch the fireworks together, all right?" he told her. Sylvia smiled at him as she nodded her head. 

 

Both of them looked up at the sky as the fireworks brightened it up. Then, Wes looked at Sylvia lovingly, and held her hand. "I'm sorry, Fei Fei..." he said in his thoughts. "I'm sorry if this will be the last time I can watch the fireworks with you. But each time I''ll look up at them, I'll always think of you..." he thought. 

 

"Ah, Zheng! Let's light up the sparklers!" Sylvia suggested. "Then, sparklers it is!" Wes said with a smile. After Wayne has finished all the bombshells, he and Wes began to light the fountain lights, and the girls played with the sparklers. After she played with the sparkler, Diana took pictures of them as they light up the sparklers. 

 

"Hey, let's take a picture together while holding the sparklers, all right?" Diana suggested. She set up her camera on the tripod, and set it's timer. She immediately ran up to them, and Wayne handed her the sparkler. "Say cheese!" Diana said. "Cheese!" all of them said as they smiled in front of the camera. 

 

--

 

"I'm getting tired..."

 

Diana complained as the hiked up the Elephant hill. "Just a few more, and we'll be there on top." Wayne assured her. "But I'm so tired..." Diana whined again. Wes and Sylvia just smiled as they looked at the two. Wayne helped Diana to climb the hill, as he know she's already tired based on her whining. 

 

"A few more, Diana, and we'll be there!" Sylvia cheered on her. Diana pouted as she looked at her boyfriend. "Stupid Xiao Jin. Of all the things he planned, he made us do this last!" Diana complained again. Wayne stopped, and looked at Diana. "Hey, I'm doing this because I want Zheng to remember how beautiful the sunset is here in Taipei." Wayne said. Wes just let out a smile. "Huang Wei Jin! You owe me a big honey toast after this!" Diana shouted at him. Wayne just laughed at her. 

 

A few minutes later, they had reached the peak of the hill. "Wow, I never thought the view up here is so beautiful. And I can see the whole Taipei!" Sylvia exclaimed excitedly. "And I can see Taipei 101 from here!" Diana said, pointing at the tall building. Wayne smiled proudly. He knew in the end, his plan would work out. "See, you're all enjoying this. It's worth the hike, right?"he said. Diana rolled her eyes at him. "The next time you bring me here, you will have to carry me." she told him, making him scratch his head. 

 

"Look, the sun's about to set." Wes told them. The four of them looked at the sky as the sun sets. The whole city was filled with red and orange sky as it turns into dusk. "This is beautiful. I'm going to miss this..." Wes said. Then, he looked at his friends sadly. "I'm going to miss this." he repeated in a sad tone. Wayne lowered his head as tears fell from his eyes. "I will miss this kind of moment with us being together..." Wayne said as he began to cry. 

 

Diana looked at Wes. Her eyes began to be red as tears formed in her eyes. "I'm going to miss you, Zheng." she told him. Sylvia bit her lips, trying her best not to cry in front of them. "Then, let's just enjoy this moment we have. We can't let Zheng have memories of us crying, right?" she said as she forced a smile in her lips. She looked at Wes , and smiled sadly at her. Wes let out a smile. "Right. I will not be able to sleep with the thought of Xiao Jin's ugly crying." Wes said, trying to lighten the mood. All of them laughed. 

 

"Hey, aren't you at least a bit moved? I'm crying because I'm going to miss my best buddy!" Wayne said a pout. "Of course, I'm moved. The truth is, I'm going to miss all of you. I don't know if I'm going to find friends there, especially someone like you." Wes told them. "Well, if you become friendless there, we're just a call and chat away, all right?" Diana told him. "Friends forever?" Sylvia said as she lifted her pinky finger. Wes hooked her pinky finger to hers and smiled. "Friends forever." he said. "Friends forever." Diana said as she hooked her finger them. Wayne wiped his nose with his hand before hooking his finger to theirs. "Friends forever." he said. 

 

Wes gave him a disgust look. "Yuck, Wayne... did you wipe your snot on your hand? You're so unhygienic!" he told her. Diana rolled her eyes at his best friend. "Yuck, Wayne!" she said. Sylvia just laughed at them. And as the sky in Taipei became dark, the four of them gave each other a hug. 

 

--

 

"Hey, how are you?" 

 

Ella asked Sylvia while they were on video chat. Sylvia smiled at her. "I'm good, Ella jie." she said. Ella just looked at her. She know she's not OK, especially since Wes is about leave. "Is that the truth, or are you lying to me?" Ella asked. Sylvia sighed as she lowered her head. 

 

"You maybe smiling, but your eyes are sad." Ella told her. Sylvia couldn't lie to her. She isn't OK. She feels sad knowing she will be away from Wes for a long time. "I'm not OK..." she admitted in a low voice. "Because of Zheng?" Ella asked. Sylvia slowly nodded her head. 

 

"I'm sorry..." Ella told her. Ella let out a sigh. "I don't know why my husband wanted him to take that scholarship, maybe because he saw a potential in him. After all, he's the top of your class, right? And maybe he wants to repay his generosity. After all, he didn't just let him stay at his house. You and Zheng helped to get us back together." Ella said. "I understand that, Ella jie... It's just that I feel sad. Since the day I met him, he never left my side. He had always been there to look after me. And I promised her mother before she died that I will take care of him. I don't know what will happen now that we're in college. I'm scared because I don't know how to face the new chapter of my life without him. I'm scared with the thought that eventually, we have to break up. I love him so much, and I'm too scared to lose him, because if I do lose him, I'm not just losing a boyfriend. I'm also going to lose my best friend." Sylvia told her. 

 

"Fei Fei, I know you feel sad because he needs to leave. I know that you're going to miss him. But think of this separation as challenge for the two of you. Think of it as a challenge that will make your relationship much stronger. Long distance relationships maybe hard, but if you can make it through the years together, then your love is for keeps. And besides, you two are too young to be too serious in your relationship. Think of being apart together as a way for the two of you to focus on things that really matter. I know you're scared because you don't know what will happen to your relationship, but remember this. Just like the butterfly, you need to learn to let love spread its wings and fly. When it comes back to you, when it decides to land in the palm of your hand, then you know that happiness and love truly belongs to you. You need to let Zheng go for now. If you two are meant to be, then he will find his way back to you. One day, when he had finally reached for his dreams, he will come back for  you." Ella told her. 

 

Sylvia just nodded her head. She understand what Ella said to her. "I just want him to achieve his dreams, after all, he worked hard for it. And he deserve it, after all the things he had been through. I don't want to be the reason for him to stay... that's why I haven't talked to him about this matter. All I want is to make memories with him while he's still here. I want him to have happy memories with me and our friends." she said. Ella smiled and nodded her head. "You're right. Make more memories with him. In a few days, he's about to leave. Make sure he leaves with your smile, OK?" Ella said. This time, Sylvia let out a smile as she nodded her head. 

 

--

 

Wes' last day in Taipei. 

 

Sylvia went out of the house, and saw Wes waiting for her. "So, where did Wayne planned to go today?" she asked. Wes just smiled at her. "Today, it's just you and me." he said. Sylvia gave him a confused look. "But I thought we'll be with Wayne and Diana?" she asked. Wes shook his head. "I asked Wayne if I could have one whole day with just you, and he agreed. It's a good opportunity for us to talk, right?" Wes said. Sylvia lowered her head. "I guess, you're right..." she said. Wes held her hand, and looked at her. "Let's go?" he asked. Sylvia looked up at him and nodded her head. 

 

Wes brought Sylvia to the flower park. The whole time that they were together, Sylvia is just silent. "Fei Fei..." Wes called her as they were strolling at the park. Sylvia looked up at him, and smile. "What is it?" she asked. He held her hand. He stopped walking, and faced her. "The past few days, both us was so happy. And now, I'm about to leave. You know, you don't have to always put a brave front when I'm around." he told her. Sylvia let out a smile. "I'm not putting a brave front!" she said. Wes looked at her sadly. "I know that's not how you feel..." he said. 

 

Her smile slowly faded as she looked away from him. "What do you really feel, Fei Fei?" he asked. "I... I'm happy for you..." she said as her voice faltered. Wes stared at her for a long time. Then, she pulled her into a hug, which made her surprised. As Wes hugged her, a tear fell from her eyes. "Do you want to know the truth, Fei Fei? I'm scared..." he told her .He put his hand on her head, as he pulled her closer to him. "I'm scared of facing the world without you. Ever since we were young, you had always been my strength. You were always there to lift my spirits up. I'm scared I won't be able to make it there without you beside me. And I'm sad, because I have to leave you. Never in my life have I imagined that I would be away from you. And I know... I know you feel the same way. You just didn't want me to worry, or be sad as well, right?" he told her. 

 

With that, Sylvia began to cry. "I'm scared..." she finally admitted. She closed her eyes, and let the tears fall from her eyes. "I'm scared to be away from you. I'm scared of what will happen to you, to me, to us... But I know how important this is for you and your dreams, so I'll just go with your decision. Wes looked at her eyes as he held her cheeks. "Fei Fei..." he whispered. "I'm going to miss you, Zheng. And I miss you now, even if you haven't left yet..." she said tearfully. "Ask me to stay." he told her. 

 

Sylvia just looked at him. "If you ask me to stay, I'll stay for you. If you say you don't want me to go, then I won't leave you. I can study here with you. I don't have to leave, ever." he told her. Sylvia smiled, and shook her head. "I won't ask you that, Zheng. Because, this is your dream. And I'll always support you and your dreams..." she said. "But you are my dream." Wes told her. Tears began to fall from his eyes as he looked at her. "You are my dream too, Zheng. But I won't risk your future because of me. I won't be able to forgive myself if I asked you to stay. Just think of it that you're going to study in Australia for our future together, right? This is part of your big plan, and I'm willing to wait until you achieve your dreams." she told him. 

 

Wes leaned on her forehead as he closed his eyes. "Promise me, you'll come back to me, Zheng. Because I'm going to wait for you. I'm going to wait no matter how long it takes, because I love you." she asked him. "I'll come back for you, I promise. It won't be long, and I'll be by your side again. And when that time comes, I won't ever leave your side. I will never ever let you go. And I promise you, you will the the last girl I will love in this lifetime. It will always be you, Fei Fei..." he told her. 

 

Then, he leaned down to her, and kissed her lips for a long time. It was a long, goodbye kiss for him, and it was the most bittersweet kiss he had to give Sylvia. 

 

--

 

The day of his departure came. 

 

Wes stood in front of his family and friends as they say goodbye to him at the airport. "Do you have your documents with you? You will have to show it to the immigration, remember that." Melody told him for the nth time that day. Wes let out a laugh. "Yes, Aunt Melody. My papers' inside my backpack." he told her. 

 

"Zheng ge ge, you have to wait for me there, all right?" Allie told him. Wes smiled and nodded her head. "I will have to fix Allie's papers first so she could also study in Australia. Then, after I send her there, I'll fly directly to London for my job." Qin Yang told Wes. Wes nodded his head. "Then, I'll see you and Allie in a few weeks?" he said. "I'm going too. I'll see you before I go back to Canada." Melody said. Wes just nodded his head. 

 

Then, he turned to Sylvia, Wayne and Diana. "So, this is it. Wayne, look after the girls while I'm gone, all right?" he said. Wayne gave him a thumbs up. "I'll guard Fei Fei from the other guys that would want to court her." he said determinedly. Diana and Sylvia let out a laugh. Then, Wes looked at Sylvia. "Don't be sad while I'm gone, all right? I'll call you once I'm settled there." he told her. "I'll wait for you, Wes. And you have to take care of yourself." she reminded him. 

 

Then, he looked at everyone. This time, he let out a sad smile. "You  know, this feeling is so new to me. I'm so used to being left behind by everyone I love. I thought that was the most painful thing in the world, but then I realized, it's more painful to be the one who leaves the people I love behind." he said. "Every goodbye is always painful. I know that." Qin Yang told his son. 

 

Wes took a deep breath, and smiled at them. "Then, I'm going in. I'll see you guys in 10 years. Or if I can afford to go back home. Bye everyone!" he said with a laugh. Everyone smiled at him. "Goodbye, Zheng! Take care!" all of them said.  Then, Sylvia walked up to him, and hugged him tight. That moment she hugged him, he suddenly felt weak. "I'm going to miss you, Zheng..." she said. 

 

She wanted to cry, but she's fighting the urge to. She wanted to say goodbye to him with a smile on her face. "I'll miss you too, Fei Fei. I'll come back to you, I promise...." he said. Sylvia broke their hug, and looked up at him. "I love you..." she said. Wes smiled, and kissed her on the lips. "I love you so much." he said. Then, she gave him a paper butterfly. "I can't be there for you to take care of you. But I wished on this paper butterfly that you'll always be well, and that you'll always be happy." she said to him. Wes took the paper butterfly, and smiled. "I promise I'll take care of myself while I'm away, so you won't have to worry." he told her. 

 

Sylvia let him go, and watched him sadly as he turned around to leave. As he left, she began to cry. Diana immediately came to her to console her. "It's all right, he's going to be back soon..." she told Sylvia. Sylvia could only watch as he slowly disappear from his sight. "Goodbye, my love. I'll wait for you..." she thought. 

 

As Wes turned around to leave. tears fell down from his eyes. "Goodbye. I'll see you soon..." he thought as he walked away.