Courage To Love

Me And The Girl Next Door

"I'm sorry I have to leave! See you tomorrow!"

 

Before Wayne could say a word to Sunnee, she dashed out of the classroom. "What's wrong with her?" Wayne asked himself. The past few days, Sunnee had been leaving school early. When he tries to ask her to accompany him to the comic store, she would turn him down. 

 

Wayne let out a sigh as he gathered his things. "Wayne, I thought you're going to the comic store today?" he heard Diana ask him. "I have no one to go with me. I can't even talk properly to Sunnee." Wayne said. "How about we accompany you instead? Then we can grab some snacks too!" Sylvia suggested. "Sounds like a good idea!" Diana said in agreement. 

 

Wes remained quiet. He was about to ask  Sylvia out after school, but then she decided to go with Diana and Wayne. Then, the three of them looked at Wes. "Zheng, you're going with us, right?" Sylvia asked. Wes let out a smile. "Of course. But, wait for me here. I need to pass some forms to Dylan." Wes said. "OK!" Sylvia told him. 

 

Wes took some papers, and headed to the student council office. As he entered, he saw Dylan staring at his phone while smiling. Aside from Sunnee, Dylan had became weird lately. From someone who is serious, he became someone who's always on his phone and smiling all the time. 

 

"Dylan?" he called. Dylan immediately put his phone down, and changed into a serious expression. "Yes?" he asked. Wes walked up to him, and handed him the forms. "Here's the forms that you needed." Wes said to him. "Thanks, I'll take care of this you can go now." he said. 

 

Just as Wes was about to leave, Dylan's phone lit up. Wes saw that his wallpaper is Sunnee. Wes was surprised at what he saw. Dylan, on the other hand, was mortified when he realized Wes saw Sunnee's wallpaper. "Why?" Wes thought. The two of them looked at each other. No one dared to speak first. "Uh Oh, he found out..." Dylan thought. There was an awkward silence between them. "Should I ask him why Sunnee is his wallpaper?" Wes thought. "Should I let him know Sunnee's my girlfriend now?" Dylan thought. "I think I should not ask any further..." Wes thought. "I'll admit to him if he asks." Dylan thought. 

 

"Uh... I'll see you tomorrow then." Wes told him. Dylan nodded his head. "Yeah... see you tomorrow." Dylan said. Wes nodded his head. As Wes left, Dylan let out a sigh of relief. "Ugh... why do we even have to keep our relationship a secret?" Dylan thought as he stared at Sunnee's picture on his phone. Then, he let out a smile. "My little sun, if only you didn't want to keep our relationship a secret for now, I'll shout to the whole world how much I love you." he thought. 

 

Wes was in a daze as he walked back to the classroom. "Is there something going on with Sunnee and Dylan? Am I right all along? Does Dylan like Sunnee?" he thought. Then, Sylvia popped in front of him. "Zheng!" she shouted. Wes almost fell on the floor because of shock. "Fei Fei! You're going to give me a heart attack!" he told her. Sylvia just laughed at him. "Where's Diana and Wayne?" Wes asked. "Diana was asked by her mom to go home early. Wayne walked her home, and decided not to go to the comic store anymore. I stayed to wait for you." Sylvia said. 

 

Wes let out a smile. "So, I can ask her out now, right?" he thought. "And Ella jie called. She can't go home right away because she needed to stay with her friend. She asked us to go home straight from school." Sylvia said. Wes let out a sigh. "There goes my plan to ask her out..." he thought. 

 

Sylvia noticed that Wes was in his deep thoughts. "Hey, what's wrong?" she asked him. "Fei Fei, I think I saw Sunnee's picture on Dylan's phone." he told her. Sylvia stared at him for a long time, then she burst out laughing. "Why would he do that? They're not even in good terms, right?" she asked. Wes could only shrug his shoulder. "Maybe I'm wrong again." he said. "I think you're just hungry. You know, there's this nice cafe across the school. Do you want to go there, and grab something to eat before we go home?" Sylvia asked. Wes let out a smile. "Finally, we can go out alone!" he thought. "Sure. My treat." he said. Sylvia let out a smile. "Sure! Because I don't have allowance for this week anymore." she told him. 

 

Wes let out a laugh. "All right. Let' go." he said before he took her bag from her. Sylvia gave him a confused look. "Why are you taking my bag?" she asked. "Let me help you carry it, all right?" he said. Sylvia didn't budge, and just let Wes carry her bag. 

 

--

 

"Do you have plans this weekend?" Dylan asked before he took a bite from his burger. "Nope. My schedule's free." Sunnee told him. Dylan let out a smile as he looked at her. "Then, let's go out on a date, all right? After my shift at the comic store." he said. Sunnee nodded her head. 

 

"My little sun, are you really sure about keeping our relationship a secret?" Dylan asked her. Sunnee  nodded her head. "Don't you want to tell anyone about us?" he asked again. Sunnee shrugged her shoulders.  "I don't know... I'm scared..." Sunnee said. Dylan gave him a confused look. "Why?"

"Because my boyfriend is the campus heartthrob. I'm just the school's resident boyish girl. What if people tease you because of me?"

"I don't care about my reputation. I don't care what people say about me."

"But look at you. You're handsome. I'm handsome too. People may think I'm not worthy of you. After all, I'm not even the prettiest in school."

 

Dylan let out a laugh. Then, he leaned over her, and kissed her on the lips. "You don't need to be scared of anything when you're with me. Because I will protect you." he said. Sunnee let out a smile at him, before giving him a peck on the lips. 

 

That was what Sylvia and Wes saw the moment they walked inside the cafe. "They're together?!" Sylvia asked in shock as she pointed at the two. "They won't kiss if they're not a couple, right?" Wes asked her. Sylvia nodded her head in agreement. 

 

At the corner of her eye, Sunnee saw Wes and Sylvia by the door. "Uh-oh... Raccoon..." Sunnee told Dylan. He saw her pointing at the door. He looked back, and saw Wes and Sylvia staring at them. 

 

--

 

The four of them sat on one table. Sunnee and Sylvia sat next to each other, while Wes and Dylan sat across them. "So, since when did the two of you started dating?" Sylvia asked them. "After sportsfest." Dylan said proudly. Sunnee lowered her head as she smiled. "But... but I thought you like Diana!" Sylvia told Dylan. 

 

Wes folded his arm, and looked at Dylan. "You only pursued Diana because you want to gain Sunnee's attention, right?" Wes asked Dylan. Dylan smiled as he scratched his head. "Yes?" he said. Sunnee let out a laugh. "So, you liked Sunnee all these time?" Wes asked. "Affirmative." Dylan told him. 

 

"But Sunnee doesn't like you...." Sylvia told Dylan. "P'Sylvia..." Sunnee began. "Actually, we met a long time ago. We met in middle school back in Thailand, when he was on vacation. Dylan turned out to be the guy I've been looking for since I came here in Taiwan. The one I saved back then. My... my first love...." she said as she tried to hide the redness in her cheek. 

 

Then, it became clear to Sylvia and Wes. The two of them were happy for them. "Then, I'm right that I saw Sunnee's picture as your wallpaper!" Wes said. This time, Sunnee looked at Dylan. "You made me your wallpaper?" Sunnee asked her boyfriend. Dylan let out a nervous laugh as he looked at Wes. He wanted to kill him for blurting that out. "I hate you." he told him. 

 

"Then, I'm glad you two are together! It was unexpected, but we're happy." Sylvia said. "But, can you guys keep this a secret for now?" Sunnee asked her. Wes furrowed his brow as he looked at Sunnee. "Why keep it a secret?" Wes asked. "Let's respect Nee's decision for now. That's what she wants." Dylan said. "But what about you, Dylan. Do you intend to keep it a secret as well?" Wes asked. Dylan looked at Sunnee, and smiled. "I'll do whatever my little sun wants." he said as he smiled. 

 

--

 

"I don't understand! Why would Sunnee want to keep their relationship a secret?" Sylvia asked as they were walking home. "Maybe Sunnee has her reasons. First of all, it was all too sudden. Maybe they wanted to get to know each other first before coming out with their relationship." Wes said. 

 

Sylvia let out a sigh. "But I envy her. She found her first love in the most unexpected way. And it was the most unexpected person." she said. As they reached their house, Sylvia walked to the bench outside of Wes' house and sat on it. Wes then sat beside her. "Isn't it funny? Other people find their first love. Others would lose it." Sylvia asked. 

 

Wes let out a sigh as he looked at her. "Are you thinking about Sam?" he asked. Sylvia shook her head. "I'm thinking about what happened to us. You lost your first love too, remember?" she said. "Think of it this way. There are people that would love only one person for the rest of their lives. There are people that would have to go through a lot to find the one meant for them. Maybe, Sunnee and Dylan found each other again because from the start, they are fated to be together. Maybe, we lost our first love because we are meant to find someone who would give us the kind of love we truly deserve. " Wes told her. He let out a smile as he looked at her. 

 

"Ah, why does love have to be complicated?" Sylvia asked. "I guess it's meant to be complicated. All we can do right now is help and protect both Dylan and Sunnee, all right?" Wes said. "I just hope Sunnee will make their relationship out in the open." Sylvia said. Wes just smiled and nodded his head. 

 

--

 

It was break time, and Wes arranging the documents he needs to pass to Dylan. Then, he looked at Sunnee, and realized something. He knew Sunnee wanted to keep their relationship a secret, but it wouldn't hurt to help them out, right?" 

 

"Sunnee?" Wes called her. "Yes?" Sunnee said as he turned to Wes. "Can you help bring this to Dylan? I need to finish something else." he said. Sunnee gave him a confused look, then Wes gave her a wink. Then, she smiled. She knew what he meant by that. "All right. I'll bring this to him." she said. 

 

"Sunnee, do you want me to go with you?" Wayne said as he walked up to them.  Wes could feel a vein popping from his forehead. "Wayne, you don't need to accompany her." Wes said. "But she and Dylan might fight again..." Wayne said as he looked worriedly at Sunnee. 

 

Sunnee let out an awkward smile. "I'm OK, P'Wayne. Besides, it's just ice princess. If he does something bad to him, I'll punch him in the face." she said. Wes smiled at her, then turned to Wayne. "And I need your help with Math because I didn't understand it." he told her. Wes secretly signaled Sunnee to leave. Before she left, she gave Wes a thumbs up. 

 

Sunnee rushed to the student council office, and saw Dylan talking to Ian. "Go have a break first. Let's talk about that later." Dylan told Ian as soon as he saw Sunnee by the door. Ian left, and Sunnee entered the office, then walked up to Dylan's desk. Dylan smiled at her as soon as she's in front of him. 

 

"Hi." Dylan said. He can't contain his happiness upon seeing her. "Hi." Sunnee said as she smiled. "W-what are you doing here?" Dylan asked her. Sunnee looked at the documents she's holding in her hand. "Wes sent me here to give this to you." Sunnee said. She then gave the papers to him. Dylan took it from her, not without touching her hand for a long time. 

 

"Go out with me later..." Dylan whispered to her. Sunnee blushed, and nodded her head. "Wait for me at the school garden." Sunnee whispered. Dylan nodded his head. "I miss you..." he told her. Sunnee bit her lips then smiled at him. "I miss you too..." she whispered. Dylan looked around to see that there is no one around, then he kissed her on the forehead. Sunnee blushed as he kissed her. 

 

Then, Ian came back  inside the classroom, and they began to act like before. "Tell Wes thanks for the documents." he said in a formal tone. Sunnee just nodded her head, and left the office. "Well, that's new. You and Sunnee aren't throwing any insults at each other... Don't tell me you've gotten along well." Ian commented. Dylan just ignored him, and went back to his desk. 

 

--

 

Dylan waited for Sunnee at the school garden. He knew that she had cleaning duties for that day, so he had to wait for her so  they could go on a date. 

 

"Dylan?" 

 

He looked back, and saw Wes walking up to him. "What are you doing here?" Wes asked. "I'm waiting for Sunnee to finish her cleaning duties. This is where we usually meet up." Dylan explained. Wes nodded his head, and sat beside him. "How about you, why are you here?" Dylan asked. "Sylvia's on a cleaning duty too with Sunnee and I'm waiting for her." he explained. 

 

Then, he saw Dylan let out a sigh. "Can I tell you something? After all, you knew about me and Nee." Dylan told him. "Sure, you can tell me anything." Wes said. Dylan looked away from him, and stared at the lone sunflower in front of him. "I really love Sunnee. I love her so much, and I'm proud of it. But... I'm worried about her. She may not say it, but I can sense her fears and her insecurities. She always says she isn't pretty, that she's scared I might get a flak for dating her, that people might think she's not worthy of me. But for me, she's everything I've ever wanted." Dylan told him. "Do you think that's the reason she wants to keep your relationship a secret for now?" Wes asked. Dylan nodded his head. 

 

"Then, what are you planning to do?" Wes asked him. Dylan let out a sigh as he looked at him. 

 

--

 

Sunnee was looked out of the window as she continued to mop the floor. Outside, she saw a well-known couple in their batch walking as they held hands. She let out a sigh as she watched them together. "I wish Raccoon and I could be like that..." she thought. 

 

"Sunnee?" she heard Sylvia call her. Sunnee looked at her, and saw her smiling at her. "We're almost done." Sylvia told her. Sunnee nodded her head. Sylvia noticed something was bothering her. "Are you all right?" Sylvia asked her. Sunnee tried to smile and nodded her head. "I don't think you're OK... is there anything wrong?" Sylvia asked again. 

 

Sunnee let out a sigh as she sat on an empty chair behind her. "Do you think Dylan and I look good together?" she asked. Sylvia gave her a confused look. "What do you mean?" she asked. "Sometimes, I think I don't deserve to be with him..." Sunnee said sadly. 

 

Sylvia took a chair and sat beside Sunnee. "We're opposites. He's handsome, I'm not good looking. He's really smart, I'm not as smart as he is. There are other girls who are way prettier than me, and I get scared that he realizes that, he'll eventually leave me." 

"But he chose you, right?" 

 

Sunnee nodded her head. Sylvia smiled at her. "Then, that's all that matters. That he chose you. That of all the pretty girls here in Taipei, he chose to be with you. He saw something in you that made him love you even more. And you're lucky to have him." Sylvia said. 

 

--

 

"I want her to be a little brave. I want her to feel secure. But no matter what words I say, I know it won't take away her fears." Dylan confessed to Wes. Then he let out a smile. "That's why I realized, that between the two of us, I should have the courage to show my love for her. If I didn't want to lose her, if I want this relationship to work, then I should be strong when she felt she's being weak." 

 

"Until when are you planning to keep your relationship a secret?" Wes asked. "If it were up to me, I'd tell the whole world about us right now. But I'm thinking of what Sunnee will feel if I do that."

"Then, why don't you just do that? Show her and the world how much you love her."

 

Dylan looked at Wes. "You have more courage than Sunnee. If you can show her that, then maybe Sunnee can be brave as well. Maybe Sunnee will change her mind about keeping your relationship a secret." Wes told him. Dylan let out a smile. "When you fall in love, you become braver each day. You find the courage you thought you never had. And that courage is enough for you to love even more. I think I know what I should do." Dylan told him. 

 

Wes paused for a while as he looked at him. Then, he asked himself, does he have enough courage to admit his love for Sylvia?

 

--

 

"You know, you're lucky..." Sylvia told Sunnee. "Because one of the most eligible bachelor in school is in love with me?" Sunnee asked. Sylvia let out a laugh. "Yes. And also, because you were one of the few people who are loved, chosen to be loved. There are are people who, no matter how much love they have in their heart, they could not freely give it to the one they love."

 

Sunnee looked at Sylvia, and saw the sadness in her eyes. She think maybe she's thinking of Sam again. "I'm sorry, Sylvia... I shouldn't be like this when you're also struggling to move on..." Sunnee said. Sylvia smiled as she shook her head. "Don't mind me. I'm actually happy for the two of you. I may not have the happy ending I wanted, but seeing two people madly in love, it's more than the happy ending I've wanted." she said. 

 

Then, she hugged Sunnee, and put her head on her shoulder. "Don't ever think you're not enough, or you're not worthy of anyone's love. We aren't perfect, we have flaws. But in the end, we find someone who would fill in all the missing pieces to make us whole. And this is just the beginning of your story. If you give up now, then you won't get the ending that you deserve." Sylvia told Sunnee. "Then, I should I have more confident in myself then..." Sunnee said. Sylvia smiled at her. 

 

Then, Sunnee stood up, and faced her. "Thank you, P'Sylvia!" she said as she bowed to her. Sylvia could only laugh. "I promise. From now on, I'll be more confident. I won't be scared anymore. As long as Raccoon loves me, then that's all that matters to me." Sunnee told her. Sylvia smiled, and gave her a thumbs up sign. 

 

--

 

The next day. 

 

Sunnee walked through the corridors of the school. She felt awkward as all the boys looked at her. She touched the side of her hair, as she tried to hide the hairpin on it. That day, she decided to be open about her relationship with Dylan, and the first thing she thought on doing that is to dress like a girl. Unlike the previous days, she had a neat uniform. She wore shoes with little heels, and a knee-high socks. She decided to put on a little lip gloss as well. "These guys are weird..." she thought as she looked at the guys who aare staring at her. 

 

"Sunnee!" 

 

She looked up, and saw Evan running up to her. "Wow, you look pretty today..." Evan told her. Sunnee gave him awkward smile. "Thank you." she said. She continued to walk to their classroom. By the door of the room, Cosmos and Eunice greeted her. "Ah, why aren't you early today, huh?" Cosmos asked her. The two gave Sunnee a skeptical look. "You're always early, why are you late?" Eunice asked her.  "I had some things to do at home before going to school." Sunnee said. 

 

Eunice and Cosmos looked at each other, wondering what it was. They know it's unlikely of Sunnee to be in school that late. Then, they looked at her, and noticed she was wearing a hairpin. "Why do you still have that hairpin?" Cosmos pointed out to her. "I... I just like the hairpin, that's all." Sunnee said nervously. "And why are you girly today?" Eunice asked. Sunnee could only blush

 

Evan ran up to her, and then put his arm around her. "Sunnee, did you know, you and I look good together. Go out on a date with me, please?" he begged her. She wanted to stay away from him, but he had his arms around. "No,  she will not." they all heard someone say.

 

They all looked back, and saw Dylan walking up to them. Sunnee blushed as Dylan walked to to her. He took Evan's arms away from Sunnee, and pulled her to him. "Dylan?!" Both Cosmos and Eunice exclaimed. 

 

Upon hearing that, Wayne immediately went out of the classroom to see what's happening. Diana, Wes and Sylvia soon followed him. "What is he doing?" Wayne asked. He was about to approach Dylan, but Wes stopped him. "Don't interfere." Wes said. Wayne looked at him, and saw him smiling. "He's bothering Sunnee now?" Diana asked in disbelief. Sylvia just smiled.  "Are you thinking what I'm thinking, Zheng?" Sylvia asked. Wes just winked at her. 

 

"Don't hurt our friend!" Eunice told Dylan in a panicked tone. "I'm not going to hurt her. I just don't like it when other boys are around my girlfriend." Dylan said aloud. He pulled Sunnee closer to his side to embrace her. Sunnee looked up at him, and smiled. "Raccoon...." she said in soft voice. 

 

"Girlfriend?!" Eunice, Cosmos, Evan and Wayne said in unison. Wayne looked at Wes. "Do you guys know something about this?" Wayne asked. Wes and Sylvia smiled, and shrugged their shoulders. "Yes Sunnee is my girl. So stop bothering her." Dylan said as he glared at Evan. Evan scratched his head as he smiled nervously. "I'll stop bothering her, promise." he said. 

 

Eunice let out a smile. "Then, congratulations! Sunnee, I'm so happy for you!" she said as she hugged Sunnee. "You two owe us an explanation, but nevertheless, we're happy. Dylan, take care of Sunnee, all right?" Cosmos said. Dylan smiled. Then, he looked at Sunnee, and smiled. "I will take care of my little sun." he said. As Sunnee looked up at him, Dylan kissed her on the forehead.