Cookie Day - Something For Him

Me And The Girl Next Door

Chun opened the door of the oven, and took out the freshly baked cookies from it. It's been a long time since he last baked for his wife. For sure, if Ella could smell her favorite cookies, she would be happy. 

 

Then, he heard footsteps from the stairs. He looked at that direction, and saw Ella walking down the stairs. "Baobei, you're awake." he said as he greeted her. Ella could only stare blankly at her husband. "I made your favorite cookies today." Chun said. She managed to let out a faint smile, before she turned his back on him. 

 

Chun held her arm to stop her from walking away. "Ella, please..." he pleaded to her. Ella bit her lips as she tried to stop the tears from falling. She couldn't bear to face him. She knew it was all her fault. How can he still be loving to her, when it was her impulsiveness that caused her to lost their child? 

 

She took a deep breath, and then turned to face Chun. "Chun," she said. Tears finally fell on her cheek as she looked at him. "Let's get a divorce."

 

--

 

"Auntie Pauline, is Sylvia ready?" Wes asked as he entered the Wen household. Pauline greeted the younger man. "Ah, she should be ready in a few minutes. You two won't be late for school yet, right?" she asked. Wes nodded his head. Pauline let Wes inside the house to  wait for Sylvia. After a while, Sylvia went out of the kitchen, holding a box of cookies. "Ah, I see you're ready for cookie day, huh?" Wes commented. Sylvia smiled and nodded her head. "Yes. These are the cookies we'll give our friends. I also prepared one for you to give to Tia." she said as she handed him a bag of cookies. Wes took it and smile. "You know me too well, huh? Is it OK if I go to her house first so I can give it to her?" he asked. "Then, I'll go ahead. I want to find Sam before other girls could." Sylvia said. Wes agreed with her. 

 

Cookie day is a special day at Dong Han. It's the day where students gives the other student student a number of cookies, depending on their intention. One piece of cookie means they appreciate knowing the person they are giving it to.  Three piece of cookies means they want to be friends. Five pieces of cookies means they want to be best of friends. Ten pieces of cookies means they like the person a lot, and a sign of love confession. If the person that was given the 10 piece cookie also gave you a 10 piece cookie or a milk, then it means that you have a chance with him/her. 

 

That day, Sylvia prepared a lot of cookies to give to her classmates. She also prepared a bag of five-piece cookie for Wayne, Wes and Sylvia, and a bag that contains 10 pieces especially for Sam, and another for Wes to give to Tia. 

 

Wes rushed to Tia's house, and knocked on her door. Shortly after Tia opened the door. She was surprised to see him early in the morning. "Good morning, Tia!" he greeted. "Wes, aren't you supposed to be in school right now?" she asked as she smiled at him. "I am going to school. I want to give you something first." Wes said. Then, he handed her a bag of cookies. "It's cookie day at our school today. We're giving out cookies to the people special to us." 

"So the number of cookies in a bag determines how special that person is to you?"

"Yes."

"This bag had a lot of cookies. So it means I'm very special to you?"

"Very, very, very special." 

 

Tia let out a smile at him. Then, she leaned to her, and kissed him on the cheek. "Thank you for the cookies, and for making me feel special." Tia said. Wes's cheek turned pink after Tia kissed her. "You will always be special for me." Wes said. 

 

"I don't have work today, Wes. If you have time later tonight, let's have dinner together. I'll cook." Tia said. Wes nodded his head. "I'd love that. So, I'll see you later, then." Wes said. Then, he turned to leave Tia. Shortly after Wes left, Tia took her mobile phone and made a call. "Hello... it's me." she said. "We need to talk."

 

--

 

Sylvia was busy distributing her cookies to her classmate. She noticed that Sam's desk is still empty, meaning, he still has not arrived. She looked sadly at the bag of cookies she specially prepared for him. "Will he go to school today?" she asked. Then, she felt someone tap her shoulder. She thought it was Sam, but was disappointed to see that it was not him, but Win. 

 

She looked at Win, and saw him holding out a bag of cookies. "Sylvia, for you..." Win said shyly. She counted first how many cookies were inside the bag. When she realized it had more than five on it, she looked up and Win, and smiled. "Sorry, Win. I can only give you three cookies." she said. She then handed him a bag with 3 cookies on it. Win scratched his head, as he took her cookies. Then, she walked away from her, and she watched as he tried to give another girl his bag of cookies. 

 

Sylvia went back to her seat, and before she knew it, Evan approached her. "Happy cookie day, Sylvia. Please accept 10 cookies from me." Evan said as he handed her a bag of cookies. Evan waited for Sylvia to take it, but Sylvia just smiled, and shook her head. "Sorry." she said. Evan let out a sigh, and then approached Diana. "Diana please -"

 

Before Evan could finish, Diana glare at him. "No!" she shouted at him. This time, Evan approached Wayne. Evan was silent this time as he handed Wayne the cookies. Wayne acted girly as he accepted Evan's cookies. "Of course, I like you too Evan!" he said in a girly voice. Then the two of them hugged. Sylvia and Diana watched the two. Sylvia was laughing, while Diana looked pissed at the two. "Come on, let's just devour all of these cookies. It's hard to find a girl to date in this school." Evan told Wayne. "You got it!" Wayne said. Then, the two left the girls alone. 

 

Diana leaned on her table, and let out a sigh. Sylvia could sense the sadness in her friend. "What's wrong? Didn't Simon or Riley gave you some cookies?" she asked. Sylvia shook her head. "I'm expecting to get ten cookies from someone but it seems like he forgot it's cookie day today." Diana said with a pout. Sylvia patted her. "Don't worry, I'm pretty sure he prepared cookies for you." Sylvia assured her. "How about you? Have you given Sam your cookies?" Diana asked. 

 

Sylvia looked at Sam's empty desk sadly and shook her head. "He's not even here..." she said. "Then why don't you go look for him? For sure, a lot of girls are confessing to him now. I'm pretty sure Sam's already here in school but gets stopped on his way here because someone's confessing to him." Diana said. Sylvia took a deep breath. Then, she grab her cookies, and stood up from her seat. "I'll go find him then." she said determinedly. Diana cheered on her. "That's my girl!" she said. 

 

As she walked through the hallway, Sylvia saw Sam walking towards their classroom. She let out a smile as she made another step. But then, another girl got in Sam's way. She recognized the girl as Da Yuan, one of the prettiest girl in their school. Sylvia watched as Da Yuan gave Sam a bag of cookies. "Will you go out on a date with me?" she heard Da yuan as Sam. There was a hesitation on Sam's face, but for her,it seems that he will accept her. For the first time, she felt her heart break at that moment, and she knew she have to leave that scene. 

 

Sylvia immediately turned her back at that scene. She's pretty sure Sam will accept Da Yuan's confession, after all, she's the prettiest girl in school. She bit her lower lip as she made a step back to the classroom. She gripped hard on the bag of cookies that she's holding, until she ran back to the classroom.

 

--

 

 

Wes furrowed his brow as he looked at the two girls leaning sadly on the table. Both Diana and Sylvia sighed at the same time. He wanted to ask Sylvia what's wrong, but he's sure she won't tell her a thing. Then, he turned to Wayne, who has eating more cookies. "What's with those two?" he asked in a low voice. He pointed at Diana and Sylvia. Wayne swallowed what he was eating  before answering him. "They were devastated that Evan confessed to me instead of them." Wayne said loudly. 

 

Diana looked back at Wayne, and hit his head. Then, she leaned back to her desk to mope. Wes leaned beside Wayne. "Did you accept Evan? Why didn't you wait for me to confess my love for you?" he said to Wayne. Diana looked back at Wes, and hit him this time. The two boys laughed at Diana's reaction. Diana stood up from her desk. "I think I'll just go watch the basketball game downstairs." Diana said before leaving. Shortly after Diana left, Sylvia stood up as well. Wes could see that she was in a daze.  "Wait, where are you going, Fei Fei?" Wes asked. "I just want to be alone..." Sylvia said sadly before leaving the two.

 

"Wes, Sylvia wasn't able to give Sam the cookies she prepared that's why she's sad." Wayne told Wes. Wes finally understood why she was sad the whole day. He felt sad seeing his little sister sad as well. "So, that's why she's moping around." Wes said. Then, he turned to him. "How about you, have you given Diana 10 cookies?" he asked. Wayne snorted as he  let out a sad smile. "What for? So that I can get rejected? So that it will be awkward for her, and she'll decide to stop being friends with me?" he said. "Why don't you give it a try? You're already giving up without even putting up a fight." 

 

Wayne looked at him with a serious face. "Wes, there are some fights that must not be fought. And there are some love that should remain unsaid, because you want the person to be happy, even if it's not you that makes her smile." he said. Wes looked at Wayne. Right in front of him is no longer the nerdy and corny guy who loves to tell lame jokes. The Wayne in front of him now is the guy who had been brokenhearted, and yet wanted the one he loves to be happy, even if his own heart is breaking. It seems he has matured because of his feelings for Diana. 

 

"Whoa, that was deep." Wes said. "So, it's OK if Diana only wants to be friends with me. If I could be there for her whenever she's happy, whenever she's sad, whenever she's hurt, then I'll be happy. As long as we remain friends, it's more than enough for me. I will not ask anything else from her, not even to love me, because I know it's too much to ask from her. I'll be contented with whatever it is that she could give to me." Wayne said with a sad smile. "But, you're going to be hurt..." Wes said. Wayne nodded his head. "I know. And I will endure all the hurt for her. That's how much I love her."

 

Wes pondered on what Wayne had said. He then looked at Sam's direction, who just got back from outside. Then, a girl came up to him, and asked him outside the classroom again. He nudged Wayne. "Wayne, I need your help." he said. He stood up from his desk. He let out a smirk as he folded his arm. "I can't let Fei Fei be sad today."