The Romance Coach

Me And The Girl Next Door

Chun opened the door of the hospital room. He found his wife finally asleep. Since the day they lost their baby, Ella could only cry. Slowly, he walked up to her, and knelt by her side. He gently caressed her sleeping face as he stared at her. "I love you." he whispered to her. 

 

A tear slowly fell from his eye. If only that day, he didn't allow Ella to go to her check up alone, maybe they would still have their baby. If only he wasn't swarmed with work, then he could have been with her. She wouldn't be hit by a car. They would still have the baby. She can still have another after that. But it was all his fault. Now, not only their precious little one that they waited for is gone, it's nearly impossible for Ella to have another baby. 

 

"How is she?" he heard someone ask in a soft voice. He looked by the door and saw Hebe standing. "She's finally asleep." he said. Hebe smiled, and nodded her head. He kissed Ella on the forehead before leaving the room with Hebe. 

 

"Don't blame yourself, Chun. it was an accident." Hebe said. Tears welled up from his eyes once again. "How can I not blame myself, Hebe? I wasn't there for Ella when she needed me the most."

"You know that Ella insisted on going alone. She was feeling something bad about the baby before that. That's why she went alone to the doctor to make sure your baby is OK. What happened was an accident." 

"An accident that could have been prevented if I only left  my work to be with her. Now, it hurts me seeing Ella that way."

 

Hebe felt sad for Chun. But most of all, she felt bad for her friend. It wasn't easy for her to have a child, after all the treatments she got. She just hope and pray that Ella would be able to accept what had happened, and that she will be back to her usual happy self. 

 

--

 

At Wes' house, 

 

Sylvia placed a stack of manga in front of Wayne and Wes. Wayne's eyes widened with surprise, as most of the manga that were on the table were romance stories. "Wei, do we really need to read them?" Wayne asked. He took one, and scanned through it. "Yes." Sylvia said. "Why do I have to read them?" he asked her. "So that you know what to do when you court Diana." Wes answered. him. Wayne gave him a petrified look. His secret sure is finally out. "You knew?!" he asked. 

 

Wes let out a laugh. "Sometimes, you're so obvious with your feelings." Wes said. Wayne then turned to Sylvia and gave her a death glare. "I know you have a crush on Diana but I have not said her a word about it." she said. With that, Wayne let out a sigh of relief. "So, what type of leading man would you be? Will you be like Dao Ming Si, the baddie and cool one? Li Da Ren, the sweet best friend type? Or Jiang Zhi Shu, the cold and sweet one? Or Zhou Yi Quan, the distant yet a secret lover?" Sylvia asked them. Both of the guys paused to think for a while. "I don't know. If you were to choose, what kind of boyfriend do you want?" Wayne asked. "Gu Zhan from the new KO series. He seems so sweet towards Qiu Qiu." Sylvia said dreamily. "And I thought you like Da Dong." Wes commented. "And Da Dong too! The type of guy who would do anything to protect Lei Ting." Sylvia said. "How about Zhi Ge?" Wayne asked. The two just ignored him. 

 

"I just want to be myself around Tia." Wes said as he opened another manga. "It's just that I don't know how to pursue a girl. What does a girl really like anyway? Do I need to buy her a bouquet of flowers and expensive chocolates?" Wes asked. "I guess that would depend on a girl. How about you, Sylvia, what would you like to receive from a suitor?" Wayne asked her. Sylvia then thought for a while. "Flowers and chocolates are nice. A teddy bear too. But what whatever the gift is, as long as it's from the heart and he's sincere in giving it, then I would accept it." Sylvia said. Wayne nodded as he listened to Sylvia. Then he took out a small notebook from his bag, and wrote down what Sylvia said. Wes was surprised with that. "Give me a piece of paper too." Wes told Wayne. 

 

"How about the date? What kind of dates girls like?" Wayne asked Sylvia. "Based on what I have read and watched, girls like  fancy dinners, or a date at a theme park. But I guess what's important is that she will enjoy the date." she said. Wayne and Wes nodded their head, and then wrote down what she said. "How come you know a lot? Have you been in a relationship?" Wayne asked suspiciously. Sylvia then pointed the manga. "All I know, I got from those romance mangas." she explained. 

 

Then, there was a knock on the door. Wes stood up from his seat, and opened it. "Hi!" Tia greeted him. Wes smiled upon seeing her. "Hey! Are you feeling OK now?" he asked her. Tia nodded her head. "I just want to return these to you. Thank you for soup earlier." Tia said as he handed him his plates. "You're welcome." Wes said. Tia smiled at him. "I have to go back first." she said. It was then that Sylvia came to the door. "Hi, Tia!" she said as she waved at her. "Oh, hi Sylvia. I didn't know you were here." Tia said. "Are you going back to your house? Wes, why don't you walk her home?" Sylvia told Wes. Then, she grabbed the plates from his hand, and then pushed him out of the house. "Go!" she encouraged him.  Sylvia watched as Wes walked Tia home. 

 

"Wow, for someone who's been friends with Wes for so long, you sure are supportive." Wayne commented as she joined Sylvia by the door. Sylvia gave him a confused look. "I'm supportive of him. What's wrong with that?" she asked. "Well, from what I read in mangas, usually the girl best friend always gets jealous of her best friend's new girl." Wayne said. "Well, I'm different." Sylvia said. She let out a smile as she watched Wes and Tia together. "I want Wes to be happy. He deserves it, after all." she said. 

 

--

 

While waiting for Wes to come back, Wayne and Sylvia sat down on the couch to read on the manga. "Wei, can I ask  you something?" Sylvia asked Wayne. Wayne looked at her and nodded his head. "How did you know that you like Diana?" she asked. Wayne closed the book he was holding. Then, he leaned back as he let out a sigh. "I don't know. All I know is that seeing her smile makes me happy too. And when she's sad,I'm sad as well. Sometimes, I wish I'm the guy she's dating, so that she won't get hurt anymore." he said. 

 

He let out another sigh. "I know I don't have a chance on her. I'm not her type anyway. Besides, she only sees me as a friend she grew up with." he added. "You don't have plans of telling her how you feel?" Sylvia asked. "What's the use? So that she could  reject me, and laugh at me? I would rather be a friend that will stay by her side forever." he said. "Are you really contented with being just friends?" she asked. Wayne nodded his head. "You know, there are different kinds of love. Some love, they need to said out loud. Some needs to be kept hidden in our hearts. Sadly, mine is the latter one." Wayne said. He let out a sad smile at her. 

 

Sylvia felt bad for Wayne. Although he never told anyone his feelings before, she knew he had always liked Diana. Like Wes, she also wanted him to be happy. "A one-sided love... If only one person is in love with the other, how can they be happy?" she said to herself. "Sometimes, you can only be happy by watching the one you love from afar. You can only be happy seeing the one you love happy, even if you're not the reason for that happiness." Wayne said. 

 

She looked at him, in awe of the things he had said. "Wow, Wayne.  You do know something about love." she said. "I only know what's it like to be hurt by love." he said. "Then, if you can't be with Diana, don't you want to try and like other girls?" she asked. Wayne smiled and shook his head. "In my heart, there will always be Diana." Wayne said. Sylvia smiled, and nodded her head. 

 

She understood Wayne could only love Diana. And somehow, she wished Diana could see how much her friend loves her too. 

 

--

 

It was Wes and Sylvia's turn to clean the classroom that day.

 

As they were about to start cleaning, Wes noticed that the broom is missing. "Have you seen our broom?" he asked Sylvia. Sylvia, who was cleaning the chalkboard, looked at him and shook her head. Wes then scratched his head. "Where could that be? Did another class borrow it from us?" he asked again. "Maybe,and they didn't return it." she said. Once she's done cleaning the chalkboard, she went down of the platform. "I can go to the cleaning closet upstairs, and check if there's an extra broom." 

"Is it OK?"

"Of course. Wait for me here, all right?"

 

Wes smiled as he watched Sylvia leave the room. The truth is, he planned all of this for Sylvia. For sure, she will thank him later.