Little Happy Accident

Me And The Girl Next Door

"I hate PE!" Diana complained as they walked to the soccer field. "And I hate soccer." Wayne said as he stared at the goal. "You just don't know how to make a goal, that's why you hate it." Wes commented. Annoyed, Wayne stuck out his tongue at him. Sylvia snuck behind Diana and Wes, and then put her arms around them. "Hey, this isn't that bad. At least we get to go outside the classroom, right?" she told them with a smile. Wayne looked at her suspiciously. "Why are you so unusually chripy today?" Wayne asked her. 

 

Wes then pulled Wayne away from the girls. "Come on. I'll train you how to do a proper goal so that you can score later." Wes said. Then, the two of them went to the other side of the field, leaving Diana and Sylvia to themselves. "Why is Mr. Chen torturing us! I don't know how to play soccer, and it's so hot outside, I'm melting!" Diana shouted in an irritated tone. She fanned herself with her hands. Sylvia patted her shoulder. "Don't worry, it's easy." she said. She took one of the balls on the ground, and then placed it in front of her. "All you have to do is kick this ball until it gets inside the goal." she said as she stepped on the ball. "You talk as if you're an expert on soccer. You're as bad as Wayne." Diana commented. "Well, I may not make the goal, but I sure can kick. Look."

 

She rolled up her sleeves, and posed to kick the ball. "Watch this." she told Diana. She was able to kick the ball, but as the ball flew away from them, so does her shoe. "My shoe!" she shouted. She watched it fly, until it landed on an unfortunate person. And unfortunate for Sylvia, that person is Sam. She had a petrified look on her face when Sam went down to picked up her shoe. "Who owns this?" he asked in a loud voice while waving her shoe. 

 

Sylvia felt embarrassed. The first thing she thought of doing is running away from him. That was what exactly she did. Even without one shoe on her foot, she ran. ""Sylvia!" she heard Diana shout at her. She looked back, and saw Sam running after her. She wanted to run faster, but what happened was she fell on the ground instead. Sam was able to catch up on her. As he got closer to her. Sylvia tried to crawl away from him. She ran away from him because she was embarrassed of what happened, and she doesn't know how to face him. 

 

Then, Sam caught her foot. "I'm sorry!" she shouted as she closed her eyes. She felt her shoe being worn to her feet. She opened her eyes, and saw Sam putting her shoe on. She watched him as he tied her shoe string. "You're all set." he told her. "T-t-thank you..." she said. Sam helped her to stand up, but then she started to lose her balance. Good thing, Sam is still around, and he was able to catch her. "What's wrong, are you all right?" he asked. 

 

He had a worried expression on his face. She gazed into his eyes for a while, and then looked away. "I'm OK... I think." she said. She tried to stand on her own, but felt a pain on her ankle. "Ouch!" she shouted in pain. Sam sat down to take a look at her feel. "You're sprained." he said. "I'm OK, really..." she insisted. Then, he stood up, and then lifted her in bridal style. Sylvia was surprised at what he did, and at the same time, she felt her cheeks turn bright pink. "You can't walk to the clinic by yourself with your condition. I'll carry you there." Sam told her. 

 

Sylvia had no choice. She simply nodded, and let Sam carry her. As they go to the clinic, Sylvia couldn't help but steal glances at him. "He's like prince charming..." she thought. That time he put on her shoe, she felt like Cinderella. Every second that he's close to her, she felt her heart beating faster. She remembered what Wes told her about having crush on Tia before, that his heart beats fast when he sees her. "Is this it? Does Wes also feel this when Tia is around?" she thought.

 

"Are you OK?" she heard him ask. Sylvia looked at him and nodded her head. "Are you comfortable? Don't worry, we'll be in the clinic soon." he said. Sylvia smiled at him. "I'm more than comfortable. I like being in his arms." she thought. She wished that time would slow down, and that his steps would be slower. She wanted to spend more time with him. "We're here." she heard him say. Sylvia slowly nodded his head. She felt his step became slower as they get inside the clinic. 

 

--

 

The nurse helped her bandage her sprained ankle, and Sam stayed with Sylvia at the clinic. "Thank  you..." Sylvia told him shyly. "And I'm sorry about my shoe..." she added. Sam smiled at her. "It's all right. But may I ask, why did you run away from me?" he asked her. Sylvia let out a sigh. "I was so embarrassed with what happened. I never thought my shoe would fall on you." she said. She heard him let out a laugh. "Are you scared I might get mad?" he asked. Sylvia nodded her head. "I can't get mad at a pretty girl. And besides, it wasn't like you did it intentionally, right?" he said. Sylvia looked up at him. "Did he just call me pretty?" she thought. 

 

She looked at him as he smiled at her. As she looked at his eyes, she was mesmerized. It was as if she wanted to get lost in it forever. Her thoughts her interrupted when she heard a familiar voice calling her. "Fei Fei! Fei Fei!" she heard Wes call her. Both of them looked at the door, and saw Wes looking for them. "We're here." Sam said. Wes looked at their direction, and let out a sigh of relief. "What happened?" Wes asked as walked towards them. "She sprained her ankle while running, so I helped her to go here to the clinic." Sam said. 

 

Wes looked at Sylvia with a smile on his face. "Oh, so you carried her here?" Wes asked. "I can't let her walk with her condition." Sam said. Wes looked at him and smiled. "Thank you for taking care of Fei Fei. I owe you one." he told him as he patted his shoulder. Sam nodded his head. "Don't mention it." Sam said. 

 

"Well, I have to go back. Can you take it from here?" Sam asked Wes. "Would you like to stay a little longer?" Wes asked. With that, Sylvia faked a cough. "I'm just kidding. Of course, I can take it from here. You head back first. Thank you for taking care of my little sister." Wes said. Sam then looked at Sylvia. "Rest well. I'll see you later in class." he said. After that, Sam left the two alone. 

 

Wes sat beside Sylvia with a goofy smile on his face. "So..." he began. "Sam carried you here." He could see Sylvia's face turned red. "You promised not to tease me!" Sylvia told him. Wes let out a laugh. "So, how was it? Did you enjoy being carried by him?"

"Remember what you told me? About how you knew you had a crush on Tia?"'

"Yes, I remember."

"I felt my heart beat fast too."

 

He smiled at her. "You really like him." he said. Sylvia smiled to herself. "I think Sam likes you too." she heard him say. Sylvia looked up at him, and gave him a puzzled look. "I mean, a guy won't bother staying with you in the clinic, right?  If I were him and you were another girl, I would just leave you here and go back to class. But he stayed." Wes said. "But that isn't enough proof that he likes me too." she said. "Well, how about this..." Wes said as he shifted his seat. "I'll help you with Sam. I'll help you confirm if he likes you or not. Then, I'll help you be much closer to him." he said. 

 

Sylvia gave him a suspicious look. She knew that if he volunteered for something, he'll ask something in return. "What's the catch?" she asked. Wes let out a laugh. "You know me to well. Well, in return, I want you to help me get closer to Tia, all right?" he said. Sylvia crossed her arms as she pouted at him. "I'm already doing it." she said. "I know. But, can you help me more? Be close to her and be my informant. I'll do the same for you."

 

Sylvia thought for a while. Maybe it's a good idea for Wes to be close to Sam for her sake. "All right, deal." she said. Then, they sealed their deal with a pinky promise. 

 

--

 

"I'm sorry..."

 

She looked up at the doctor standing by her bedside. "We did our best, but we couldn't save the baby."

 

Tears welled up in her eyes. Those words pierced through her heart. "But my wife will be all right, doctor?" The man sitting beside her asked. Although she felt weaker, she managed to grip his hand. "She will, but..."

"But what?"

"I'm sorry, Mr. Wu. Your wife can no longer conceive because of the accident."

 

Chun looked at his wife, who was sobbing uncontrollably now. They waited 10 years for this chance, and it was all taken away from her. He pulled her to his chest and let her cry. For him, nothing hurts the most than seeing his wife hurt.