A Little Closer

Me And The Girl Next Door

"So, how was your date with Simon?" Sylvia asked Diana while they were waiting for their first class. "Well, it was boring. I didn't know his idea of a date would be me watching him play basketball." Diana answered. Sylvia let out a laugh. "I shouldn't have bailed on you guys. I might have more fun doing the project with you." she added. "Then you should have come after your date. We didn't get to finish right away, because Wes and Wayne were busy checking out our new neighbor." Sylvia said. "You mean, Wes' crush?" Diana asked. Sylvia nodded her head. "You should have seen how their noses bled." Sylvia said. 

 

"But you know who I bumped into while I was walking home from my date?" Diana said. Sylvia gave her a curious look. "Who?" she asked. "I saw Senior Sean! My god, he's more handsome than ever!" Diana said in an excited tone. Sylvia's eyes widened with excitement upon hearing that. 

 

Sean was a year ahead of them. During his time in Dong Han, he was a campus heartthrob. Sylvia knew Diana had a huge crush on him. "Really? Did he greet you?" Sylvia asked. Diana nodded her head. "We even exchanged numbers. But he didn't message me yet." Diana said in a disappointed tone. "Well, don't worry. Maybe he'll message you soon." Sylvia assured her. 

 

Just then, Wes and Wayne came inside the classroom and joined them. Wayne just glanced at Diana, and then went back to his desk without greeting her. "Hey, Diana. How's the date?" Wes asked her. "Boring." Diana answered. Meanwhile, Wayne chose to ignore her, and read a book instead. Diana noticed how Wayne has ignored her. "Hey, aren't you going to ask me how my date was?" Diana asked Wayne. Wayne did not look up at Diana. "Why would I? Wes already asked you that. I don't want to go into details." Wayne said monotonously. "Are you still mad at me because of last Saturday? I thought you said it's OK."

"I'm not mad."

"Are you sure?"

"Why are you so bothersome?"

"Why aren't you looking at me, is that book more interesting than me?"

 

Diana sneaked behind Wayne, and then hugged him. Wes and Sylvia could see the  shocked look on his face the moment Diana hugged him. Wayne's  whole face became red. "I'm really, really, really sorry, Wayne! Please forgive me!"  Diana begged him. Wayne opened his mouth to speak, but he was speechless. His body became stiff. Diana rested her head on his shoulder as she hugged him tighter. Wayne became even more redder. "I promise I'll make it up to you. If you want, I'll do all the work on our next project." she said sweetly to him. "O-o-okay..." Wayne finally managed to say. "I knew you can't be mad at me for so long!" Diana said as he pinched his cheeks. "Hey, why are you letting Diana hug you, but not me?" Sylvia told Wayne. "Wei, you could kill me with your hug." Wayne told her with a pout. Both Wes and Sylvia laughed at Wayne. 

 

The teacher came inside the classroom, and the students scrambled to go back to their desks. After the students greeted their teacher, their classes started. "We need to do some seat work today. Sam and Sylvia, can you go to the faculty room and get the workbooks?" their teacher said. Sylvia was surprised with what their teacher said. "Will do, Ms. Han." she heard Sam Say. She looked behind her, and saw Sam getting up from his table. Sylvia stood up from her seat, and then followed Sam outside. 

 

Sylvia tailed behind Sam. Both of them were silent as they walked to the faculty room. Sylvia kept her head low as they were walking, that she bumped to his back. As she looked up to him, Sam turned to face her. "Are you all right?" he asked her. Sylvia nodded her head. Sam gave her a smile. "We're here. Do you know where Ms. Han's table is?" Sam asked. Sylvia nodded her head. "I... I do. follow me." she told him. As they went inside the room, they greeted the other teachers before walking over Ms. Han's desk. 

 

"Here's our workbooks." Sylvia said as she scanned the books on top of the table. "Are you sure you can carry half of these books?" Sam asked her. Sylvia smiled at him and nodded her head. "Don't worry, I can carry them. Sylvia rolled her sleeves, and tried to carry the books. But then, it proved to be too heavy for her to carry. She tried to lift the books again, but she can't carry it. Sam watched as she struggled to carry the books. "If you want, you can put some of the books on my stack." he suggested. "Are you sure it's OK with you?" she asked. He smiled, and nodded his head. He put half of the books  on his stack, and then carried it. Sylvia was at awe when he saw Sam carry all the books. "Whoa, he's so strong... Just like Da Dong!" she thought. "Let's go?" he asked. She smiled and nodded her head. 

 

--

 

Wes and Sylvia were sitting outside his house that afternoon, while eating their favorite snack.  "We had so much school work a while ago, I already feel tired while thinking about doing my homework." Sylvia said as she took a bite of her stinky tofu. "Ah, me too! I just want to go to sleep the whole night." Wes said. "Can we just do our assignment tomorrow morning?" Sylvia asked him. 

 

Wes thought for a while. "If we sleep early tonight and then we can go to school early tomorrow..." he analyzed. Then, she looked at Sylvia. "Let's do that!" he told her. "It's good that you agree with me on this. Ah, I'll be sleeping and dreaming of my Da Dong!" Sylvia said in a dreamy tone. Wes let out a smirk. "Are you sure it's Da Dong, and not someone named Sam?" Wes asked. 

 

Sylvia pursed her lips. But Wes can clearly see the redness in her cheek. "Don't think I didn't notice that since you two came back from the faculty room to get our workbooks, you've been smiling to yourself and glancing at his seat from time to time..." Wes told her. 

 

This time, Sylvia's cheek even became redder. "Look, it's OK if you have a crush on him. I admit that I have a crush on Tia, so why won't you be true to yourself?" Wes said. Sylvia let out a sigh. "It's just that, I felt that I'm still confused about my feelings. Am I just curious about him, or is it really a crush? Do I really like him? And if I do, can I really like him?"

"Of course, you can like him. No one's taking your right to like him."

"It's just that since he transferred to Dong Han, a lot of girls have crush on him. It makes me feel that I have no right to like him."

 

Wes let out a laugh. Then, he lightly pinched her nose. "You can like someone, even if others like them too. But it's up to you to decide if you want to let him now that you do like, or keep it to yourself. Just make sure that what you chose won't make you regret anything in the end." Wes told her. Sylvia smiled and nodded his head. "Then I guess, what I feel is not just curiosity. I think I like Sam. I feel so drawn towards his mystery that's why I started to like him." she said. 

 

Wes's smile widened upon hearing her confession. "I knew it! You like Sam!" he said. "But can you keep it a secret, please?" Sylvia said. Her hands are clasped together as she gave him puppy eyes. "Please don't encourage Diana and Wayne when they tease me." she said. Wes laughed at he ruffled her hair. "All right. Don't worry, your secret is safe with me." he said. "Thank you."

 

He leaned back from his seat, and let out a sigh. "Both of us, liking someone else. Do you think both of us will get a happy ending?" Wes asked. "Only if you start to make the first move." Sylvia said. He noticed Sylvia smiling playfully at her. Then, she raised her hand and waved at someone from her line of sight. "Hi, Tia!" she shouted. 

 

Wes' began to stiffen. He was not expecting his goddess around, much more, to approach them. "Hi, Sylvia! Hi, Wes!" he heard her sweet voice. Wes slowly turned her head in her direction, and when he saw her smiling at her, he let out an awkward smile. "H-h-h-hi, Tia." he managed to say. "I'm glad you two are here. I have some goodies from Yi Lan for the two of you." she said as she handed Sylvia a bag of snack she bought. Then, she turned to Wes, and handed him a bag of snacks as well. "I hope you'll like this. I know you don't like sweets that much, so I bought this for you." she said. 

 

He took the bag of snacks from her hand, and as the tip of his finger touched her skin. He felt another jolt of electricity flowing through his vein, just like when he first touched her. "T-t-t-thank you." he stuttered. Then, Sylvia stood up from  her seat. "Tia, can you accompany my brother for a while? I need to go back inside to do my homework." she said with with a smile. Wes was puzzled at what she said. "Didn't we just agreed to do our homework tomorrow morning?" he thought as he looked at Sylvia. She waved goodbye at them, then hopped happily back to her house. 

 

Tia took Sylvia's spot, and sat next to Wes. Wes could feel his cheek redden as he became much closer to her. "So... how was Yi Lan?" he asked. Tia smiled at him. "It was great. It was such a beautiful place. Good thing my work ended early, so I had time to roam around city. "Really? That's great then. I've always wanted to go to Yi Lan. Maybe on the next vacation I might go." Wes said. "Well, maybe I can go with you, and then I can show you around." Tia suggested. Wes tried to contain his happiness. It's like both of them were already planning for a date, and he can't wait for the next school vacation so that he could go to Yi Lan with Tia. 

 

"I would love that." he said. Then, he looked at her. His eyes gazed into her eyes as he let out a smile. Tia smiled back at him. "Next time that we go there, it would be a very relaxing time for me. At leasat I'll be there for vacation, and not for work."

"I'd like to ask, don't you get tired studying and working at the same time?"

"Sometimes I do. But I love my job. Plus, I get to earn my own money."

"But don't tire yourself from working too much, all right?" 

 

Tia smiled, and nodded her head. "Thank you for the concern." she said. Then, she reached for his face, and then pinched his cheek. "You're really cute, especially when you blush." she said. Wes' cheek even became redder. "I have to go back inside." Tia said as she stood up. "Let's talk some other time, all right?" she added as she waved goodbye to him. 

 

After Tia left, he looked at Sylvia's house. Wes saw her picking on the window, smiling and giving him a thumbs up sign. Wes could only shake his head."My pesky, annoying little sister. Thank you." he said to himself.