Dear Mom

Me And The Girl Next Door

Sylvia and Wes walked through the hospital hall, and at one of the chairs outside the room, they saw Allie sitting by herself sadly. "Allie?" Wes called as soon as they got near her. Allie looked up, and cracked a smile upon seeing her big brother. "Zheng ge ge!" she called. She jumped from her seat, and ran to him. Wes carried Allie, and hugged her. "How's my little sister?" he asked. Allie smiled upon hearing that. She never thought this day would come, where Wes would acknowledge her. "I had a tiring day at school..." she complained as she pouted. Wes just laughed at her. 

 

Wes put her down, and noticed Sylvia standing beside him. "Zheng ge ge, is she your girlfriend?" Allie asked. Wes nodded his head. He held Sylvia's hand, and looked at Allie. "Her name is Sylvia, but you can call her Fei Fei jie, OK?" Wes said. Allie nodded her head. "Nice to meet you, Fei Fei jie, I'm Allie!" Allie said with a smile. Sylvia knelt down and extended her hand to her. "Nice to meet you, Allie." she said. Allie took her hand, and shook it. "Fei Fei jie, I like you. I hope both of us can get along." Allie said. "Me too!" Sylvia said. 

 

Then, Allie turned to his big brother. "Zheng ge ge, are you here to visit mommy?" Allie asked him. Both Wes and Sylvia looked at each other. "I... I guess so..." Wes said as he turned to Allie. "There are doctors inside, so I'm not allowed in yet. But, I guess you can go inside her room. Mommy would be very happy to see you." Allie said. Wes nodded his head. 

 

"Allie, maybe we should leave your big brother and mommy alone. Do you want to go out for ice cream?" Sylvia asked. Allie thought for a while. "Well, I don't like sweets... but the only sweets I like is ice cream, so it's a yes!" Allie said. Sylvia let out a laugh, as she noticed Wes and Allie's similarities. "You and your brother's really alike. The only sweet food he eats is ice cream as well." Sylvia said, eyeing on her boyfriend. "Like big brother, like little sister!" Allie told her, making Sylvia laugh again. "All right, then I'll treat you for some ice cream." she told her. Allie cheered upon hearing that. 

 

Sylvia looked at Wes worriedly. "Are you going to be OK?" she asked. Wes smiled at her. "I will be, don't worry. I guess I need some time alone with my mom so we can talk. Thank you for doing this for me." Wes said. Sylvia smiled, and nodded her head. "Take your time, all right? Allie and I will be just here." she said. Wes nodded his head. Before Sylvia leaves with Allie, he planted a kiss on her forehead. 

 

--

 

Wes has stood for a long time in front of the door of the hospital room. Many times, he hesitated to know or to open the door. It's not that he's nervous. It's just that he's unsure if he's ready to face his mother and talk to her. "If you're not ready to do it, don't force it." he heard his father tell him. He looked over his shoulder, and saw his father walking up to him. Qin Yang smiled as he approached his son. "Your mother will understand if you're not ready to see her." he added. 

 

Wes let out a sigh. "But eventually, I have to do it, right? What if I'm already too late?" he asked. Qin Yang patted his back. "Just do whatever you can do. Your mom will understand, I assure you that." he told him. Wes just nodded his head. Qin Yang opened the door of the room, and entered first. "Hello, Jane. How are you feeling today?" Wes heard his father ask. "Much better than yesterday, Qin Yang. Thank you." Wes heard his mother say. "Well, I hope your visitor today will make you feel much better." Qin Yang said. Then, he looked at Wes, and signaled him to go inside the room. 

 

Wes slowly walked inside the room. When she saw her son, Jane couldn't help but cry. "Zheng..." she called. Wes gave her a faint, polite smile. "Hello..." he said. Jane lifted her arm, and signaled him to come to her. "Come here, my son. I can't believe you're here..." she said. Wes walked to her son, and held his hand. "It's been a long time since I last saw you... and now you're all grown up. You remind me so much of your father when he was younger." Jane said as she looked at Qin Yang. Qin Yang smiled at her. "But he have your eyes..." Qin Yang said. 

 

Jane looked at Wes. She reached for her cheek, and touched it. "Do you know how much  I missed you? There's never a day I never think of you. I... I wanted to visit you before, but I was scared of how your dad and Aunt Melody will react if they see me. I'm sorry I wasn't there for you while you were growing up." Jane said. Wes remained silent as her mother spoke. "Jane, did you know, Zheng is on the top of his class. I'm pretty sure he'll graduate as a valedictorian." Qin Yang said, changing the subject. 

 

Jane looked at Wes, and smiled at him. "Really? I'm so proud of you, Zheng! Have you decided what to take for college?" she asked her son. "I'm going to med school after I graduate from high school. I want to be a doctor just like dad." he said. Jane smiled at him. "You really took after your dada..." she said. Jane held his hand, and looked at him. "Tell me more. Tell me what has been happening in your life...." Jane said. Wes looked at his father, and saw him nod his head. He looked at his mother, and he let out a smile. 

 

"Well, today we're starting to review for GST..." Wes began. Qin Yang smiled as he listened to Wes tell his mom a story of his day. He know this is a good start for the two of them. "Little steps..." he thought. "I know, one day, Zheng will be able to forgive his mother..."

 

--

 

"Fei Fei..."

 

Wes said as he approached her girlfriend. Their class has ended that day, and he knew Sylvia has cleaning duties after class. "Zheng? What is it?" she asked. Wes scratched his head as he smiled awkwardly. "Is it OK If I don't walk you home today?" he asked. Sylvia let out a smile. "Are you going to visit Allie today?" she asked. Wes lowered his head. "Ah, I think you're going to visit your mom instead, right?" she asked again. This time, Wes looked at her, and smiled. Wes slowly nodded his head in affirmation. 

 

"It's OK with me. As long as you're not seeing a cute nurse behind my back." she . Wes laughed at her. "Are you kidding me? No way! There's no one as cute as my girlfriend." he said as he pinched her cheek. Sylvia let out a laugh as well. "Thank you for understanding me, Fei Fei." he told her  in a serious tone. Sylvia touched his cheek as he smiled at him again. "I know what you're going through now, Zheng. I understand. As long as it will help improve your relationship with your mom, it's fine with me." she said. "But I feel like I don't have much time with you like before..." Wes said. Sylvia shook her head. "What's important is you spend more time with Allie and your mom, all right? We have all the time in the world." she said. Wes nodded his head. "Tomorrow, go with me to the hospital so you can meet my mom, OK?" Wes said. Sylvia nodded her head. Before Wes left, he gave her a kiss on the cheek. 

 

"Aiyo, Zheng is leaving without you?" Diana asked as she approached Sylvia. "He wants to visit his mom today." Sylvia explained. Diana sighed as she pouted. "Weird. I thought the Luo household bans talking about his mom. Why the sudden change of heart?" she asked. Sylvia also let out a sigh. "It's a long story. Don't worry, We'll let Zheng tell us about it when he's ready, OK?" she said. Diana nodded her head. "Eh, Sylvia... can you accompany me at Xiao Jin's house? I want to give him my notes, since he's getting nervous about the GST." Diana said. 

 

Since the accident, Wayne had not yet came to school. Most of the time, Diana would visit him to bring him the notes he missed at school. "Sure! I need someone to walk home with." Sylvia told her. Diana smiled at her. "And tell me, when will Wes introduce you to Luo Mama as his girlfriend?" she asked. Sylvia's cheek turned pink upon hearing that. "Tomorrow, I guess... Aiyo, don't tease me right now. Let's start cleaning up so we could go Xiao Jin's house, all right?" Sylvia said. Diana gave her a thumbs up. 

 

--

 

Wes sat beside her mother as he feed her. "I'm full Zheng..."  Jane told him. Wes looked worriedly at her. "Just one more bite, mom. You need to eat so you can take your medicine." Wes told her. Jane smiled at him, and then took a bite of her food. Wes smiled at her. "Done! When the nurses come, they'll be able to give you your medicine." he told her. 

 

Jane smiled at his son. She was happy that Wes spends time with her, and takes care of her. Sometimes, she worries if she's taking too much of his time. "You should go home and study. Don't worry, Joelle will be here in a while." Jane said. Wes smiled at her. "It's OK, mom. I like taking care of you." he told her. Then, Jane held his hand. "Tell me a story, Zheng..." she asked her. Wes gave his mom a confused look. "What story?" he asked. "About you, when you were young... when you were still a child..." she asked. 

 

Wes thought for a while, then, he remembered a funny story with him and Sylvia. "Ah! Here's a good one! Back when we were twelve, Fei  Fei and I decided to buy an ice cream from the ice cream cart in front of the store. But we were held back because of our cleaning duties. By the time we got out of school, the ice cream cart was leaving. Since Fei Fei wanted the ice cream, we both ran after it. Halfway through she fell down on her face, so I ended up running after it. I was able to catch it, and buy two cones for us, but when I was walking towards where I left Fei Fei, the ice cream fell from my hands. We ended up not having any ice cream at all.  She was so mad at me, she was crying until we got home. Her mom scolded her when we got home because her uniform got dirty, and Aunt Melody scolded me too because I made Fei Fei cry." he told her.

 

 The whole time, Jane was laughing at his story. "Here's a recent one. It was our school festival, and our class did a cafe where our class would serve in costumes. I came in as Sylvia's other favorite character in her favorite drama, but they said I don't look like I was in costume at all. So,they made me change into a dragon onesie, and I have to serve the visitors the whole day in dragon costume." Wes told her. "You must have been a cute dragon then?" Jane asked. Wes nodded his head. "Fei Fei said so." he said. 

 

"Zheng, this Fei Fei... is she your girlfriend?" Jane asked him. Wes nodded his head. "She is. She is my best friend ever since second grade, and then became my girlfriend. Mom, tomorrow, I'll let you meet her, all right?" Wes said. Jane smiled and nodded her head. "I want to meet this girl who made my son very happy." she said. Then, she held his hand, and looked sadly at him. "Zheng, I'm sorry if I wasn't there for you since you were young... I'm so sorry for leaving you behind..."

 

Wes looked at his mother, and squeezed her hand. "I'm slowly understanding the reason behind your actions before, mom..." he said. "Then, can you forgive mommy for everything?" she asked. Wes just looked at her, not answering her question. Jane understood his son may not be ready to forgive her, and she understand. "It's all right. I understand, son." she said in a low voice. "I forgive you, mom..." Wes said. Jane looked at him tearfully. "What's past is past. We can never change that. All that matters now is that you get well, and maybe... maybe we can start anew?" he said. Jane smiled at him. "I would love that, Zheng. If... If I get better... I promise to make it up to you." she said. Wes smiled at him. "For now, just focus on getting better, mom. Because Allie and I still need you around." he said. 

 

"Thank you... thank you for being here, Zheng. I love you so much, son." she told him. She tried to sit up from her bed, and hugged him. Wes didn't reply to her, instead, he hugged his mother back. 

 

--

 

Qin Yang stared at the test results in front of him. Then, he looked at the younger doctor in front of him. "Tell me, this isn't true..." Qin Yang said. "I wish I could say that, but this is the third result." Dr. Guo told him. Qin Yang was speechless as he stared at the papers in front of him. "The cancer cells are starting to spread all through out her body. The only option we have right now is chemotherapy." Dr. Guo suggested. 

 

Qin Yang thought for a while as he stared at the papers in front of him. "Let's do the chemotherapy first, to see if it will improve her condition. As soon as we found a donor, we'll do the bone marrow transplant." Qin Yang said. The younger doctor nodded his head in agreement. 

 

"Jane, hold on..." Qin Yang thought as he read through her test results. "I'll do my best to save you..."

 

--

 

"Mom, this is my girlfriend, Fei Fei. Fei Fei, my mom." Wes introduced the two ladies. Jane smiled as she took Sylvia's hand. "It's nice to finally meet you, Fei Fei. Wes has been talking a lot of nice things about you." Jane told her. "It's nice to meet you too, Aunt Jane." Sylvia said. Then, Jane smiled at his son. "Wes is right, you are really pretty. My son sure is lucky to have you." Jane said. Sylvia's cheek turned pink upon hearing that. "T-thank you..." Sylvia said. 

 

Jane turned to her son, and smiled at him. "Zheng, why don't you and Allie buy something for us to eat at the store downstairs? I want to talk to your girlfriend alone." Jane said. Wes gave his mom a worried look. "You're not going to scare Fei Fei, right, mom?" he asked. Jane let out a laugh. "Of course, I won't. It's just a little girls' talk, all right?" Jane said. Wes nodded his head. Then, he felt Allie tug his arm. "Come on, Zheng ge ge! Let's go downstairs!" Allied told him. Wes looked at Sylvia and smiled at her. "We'll be right back, all right?" Wes told her. Sylvia smiled as she nodded his head. 

 

Sylvia felt nervous after Wes and Allie left. She still felt aloof being alone with her boyfriend's mother. "Finally, I  met you. You were always in Zheng's stories. I heard you and Zheng were childhood friend, am I right?" Jane asked. Sylvia nodded her head. "We've been friends since they moved in to the house next to ours. He's not just a friend, but we treat them as part of our family." Sylvia said. "I'm happy that Zheng found a family in you, and that you are taking good care of him...." Jane said. Sylvia smiled at him. "He takes care of me too. He always protect me from danger, he's like a big brother to me before." Sylvia explained. 

 

"How are you? Is my son treating you well?" Jane asked her. Sylvia nodded her head. "I couldn't ask anything more from Zheng. I can say he's the best boyfriend in the world." Sylvia said. Jane simply smiled at her. "And I know, you love my son so much, right?" Jane asked. Sylvia nodded her head. "I love Zheng, I really do." Sylvia answered.

 

Jane smiled as she reached for her hand. "Then, I'm at ease..." she told her. Sylvia looked at her, and noticed the sadness in her eyes. "I know, I only have a less time here on earth. I know I will have to leave him behind again, but this time, permanently. When I'm gone, I hope you can continue to love Zheng. I hope you can take care of him for me. I don't know how he would take it when I'm gone, but please, always be there for him, all right?" Jane told her. Sylvia tried to smile for her. "But I know you will get better. Uncle Yang will do his best to make you better..." Sylvia said. Jane shook her head. "I know my time is about to come. And I can only spend my remaining time to make up for my mistakes, especially to Zheng. I've caused him so much pain in the past, and I don't want to hurt him again. So please, promise me to take good care and to love him, all right?"

 

Sylvia looked sadly at the older lady. She bit her lips as she tried not to cry in front of her. "I promise. I can assure you I will always take care and love Zheng. I promise you that, Aunt Jane." she said. Jane let out a sad smile as she squeezed her hand. "Thank you, Fei Fei. Thank you so much... And I'm sorry to burden you with this..." she said. Sylvia shook her head. "No, it's not a burden. I love Zheng, and I'll do anything to make him happy."  she told her. 

 

From outside, Qin Yang was peeking by the door. He was in tears as he watched the two girls hug. As a doctor, he knew what will happen next with Jane's condition. Although it is a fact, he still couldn't accept that one day, Wes will lose his mother once again. "Why does it have to happen now? Especially now that Wes is getting close to his mother..." he thought as he wiped the tears from his eyes.