Too Many Cookies

Me And The Girl Next Door

Ella was busy reading her book, when she smelled that familiar scent again. "Cookies!" she thought as she closed the book. But then she realized where that scent is coming from. She tried to resist herself. "No, Ella. Don't fall for his trap." she told herself. 

 

But the sweet aroma of freshly baked cookies is luring her. "Cookies..." she said dreamily again. Then, she slapped herself. "No, Ella. No." she told herself again. But she couldn't resist cookies. It was her weakness, and her husband sure do know how to use that weakness against her. She put down her book, and then decided to confront Chun, 

 

Chun just took out his 12th batch of cookies from the oven, when Ella barged in to the kitchen. "Wu Ji Chun!" Ella shouted angrily at him. Chun smiled to himself. He knew his plan would work. "Ella, baobei?" he said as he turned to face her. 

 

Ella raised an eyebrow at him. "Don't call me baobei, you stupid chicken face!" she shouted angrily at him. Chun was amused at his wife. It's been a long time since she called him that. "All right, then what brought you to this humble abode?" Chun asked her. "You... don't think I don't know what you're doing..." Ella accused him as she pointed at him. Chun gave her an innocent look. "What am I doing?" he asked. Ella looked at the table, and then looked back at him. Then, he pointed at the plates of cookies on the table. "That's what you're doing." she told him. 

 

Chun looked at the cookies, and looked surprised at how many they are. "Oh, I just baked a ton of cookies today!" he said. Then, he looked at her, and smiled. "Do you want some cookies?" he asked. "Wu Ji Chun..." she hissed. "You can take some cookies if you want." Chun told her, hoping she would take the bait. 

 

Ella let out a sigh. "Chun... I know why you're doing this. No matter how many cookie you bake, you can't make me come back to you." she told him. Chun's smile faded upon hearing what she said. "Don't you love me anymore?" he asked her in a hurt tone. "It's not just that, all right? I... I need space. With what happened to us, I needed the time and space to think..." she said. 

 

Chun let out a sigh. "Do you really want to divorce me that bad?" he asked her. Ella looked away from him. "I needed space."

"I can give you space, Ella."

"But that's not what you're doing right now! Why did you have to follow me here?"

"Because I'm scared to lose you, all right? I have lost you before, and I'm not going to let that happen again."

 

Chun took a deep breath. "Divorce is out of question right now. When I married you, I promised to God that I will love you and take care of you for the rest of my life. Why can't you let me do that?" he asked. Ella stared at him. "Because there are some pain that can only be healed when you are alone, away from the people you love. And that's my pain right now, Chun..." she told him sadly. 

 

--

 

"Ah... too many cookies..."

 

Sylvia said in awe as she looked at the table. "Are we going to open a cookie shop, Chun ge?" Wes asked him. They could not believe that in one day, Chun was able this much cookies. Chun looked sadly at the cookies in front of him. "You can eat it all if you want..." he said. Then, he let out a sigh. 

 

Sylvia and Wes looked at each other. They had been eating only cookies the past few days, and they don't know if they can still take it. "I love sweets, but this is too much..." Sylvia whispered to Wes. "We should find a way for Ella jie and Chun ge to get back together..." Wes told her. 

 

"Did Ella jie took some of your cookies?" Sylvia asked Chun. Chun shook his head. "I can't believe she could resist these cookies." Chun said in frustration. Sylvia let out a sigh as he looked at him. "Well, maybe I can take a plate to her, and see if she would want one." Sylvia said, taking one of the plates. She said goodbye to the two before heading back home. 

 

"Seriously, Chun ge, we're going to get diabetes if we just live on cookies..." Wes told him as he sat beside the older guy. "I know. I'm sorry. Let me cook something decent tonight. I just thought if she smelled the cookies, she will come back to me." Chun told him. "What did you tell me yesterday? Timing is everything, right? Maybe what Ella jie needs now is time to heal. And if she think she can only heal without you, then let her be." Wes said. 

 

"I guess you're right..." Chun sighed in resignation. "Should I go back to Australia and just wait for her to come back?" 

"You don't have to do that, Chun ge. Stay for a while, maybe Ella jie will have a change of heart."

"But what if she doesn't?"

"It will just take time. Sometimes, two people need space to look at things at better perspective, right?" 

 

Chun let out a smile. For someone his age, Wes sure is thinking maturely. "I understand Ella jie. More than anything else, she was hurt because she lost the baby. Just like when my mom left my dad. At first, I didn't understand why my dad left me too, but when I grew up, I realized he needed to be away, not to abandon me, but to give me a good life and so that he could heal, because he knew he can't take care of me properly if he doesn't let go of that pain." Wes explained to him. "Well, I guess for now, all I can do is just watch over Ella, right?" Chun said. Wes nodded his head. 

 

--

 

"Oh, you're back..."

 

Ella said as she looked at the door. Sylvia entered the house, and placed the plate of cookies on the table. "Let me guess, those cookies came from that chicken face across us?" Ella asked. "Yes. But, Chun ge doesn't look like a chicken face though..." Sylvia said. Ella let out a laugh. "It's my term of endearment for him." Ella said. 

 

She took a piece from the place, and ate it. She have to admit, she misses her husbands cooking, especially the cookies. "He baked a lot today. We already ate too much, we don't know how to finish them." Sylvia complained. "He baked those to lure me. As if that would work on me..."

"It didn't?"

 

Ella let out a sigh. "I have to admit, it did. Just the smell of freshly baked cookies makes me miss him so much..." she said sadly. "Then, you should come back to him if you miss him. I can see Chun ge loves you so much. And he misses you too..." Sylvia said. 

 

Ella smiled sadly at her. Then, she walked towards the window, and stared at the house across them. "I need to forgive myself first. It was my fault I lost our child. Only when I learned to forgive myself from what happened, can I go back to him." she said. "But, don't make it hard for yourself, Ella jie. Base on what I see from Chun ge, he loves you so much. Whatever that happened in the past, he must have forgiven you for it..."

 

Ella looked at her, and smiled. "He has always been forgiving. Sometimes, it felt like I don't deserve a man like him. He doesn't deserve to be with a person like me, who can't even make his simple dreams come true..." she said. "But Chun ge chose to be with you right? Then it means, out of billions of people of this world, he feels like you deserve his love the most. Ella jie, please give Chun ge a chance. Give yourself a chance as well." Sylvia told her. Then, the two girls hugged. 

 

--

 

"Wu Ji Chun!"

 

Ella barged at the Luo household once again. Chun was just putting a tray of cookies on the table to cool it down. When she noticed he's baking cookies again, she shook her head. "What is this all about again?" she asked. "It's not for you." Chun said. Ella got confused. "Not for me?" she asked. 

 

Chun let out a sigh. "Danson called me last night. He wanted to ask if I can make cookies for the kids at the orphanage." he said. Ella felt embarrassed, for she think he's baking cookies again to get her attention. "Oh..." she said. Chun let out a smile. "Do you want to help me out?" Chun said. "Sure.. how can I help?"

"Put three cookies in small bags, then put them all in a box." 

 

Ella smiled, and nodded her head. Then, the two of them started to work together. Chun continued to bake the remaining batches of cookies, while Ella helped with packaging them. It was afternoon when they finished. "Right on time!" Chun said after he packed the remaining cookies. "So, are you going to bring it to the orphanage now?" Ella asked. Chun smiled and nodded his head. "Want to give me a hand?" he asked. 

 

Ella was a bit hesitant. "Come on, it would be fun." Chun convinced her. "Well, I have nothing to do at home..." she said. "You can help us with the kids." he said.

 

She let out a sigh.   Seeing those kids would only break her heart, and long for the child they never had.   But Chun knows that if Ella interacts with the kids at the orphanage, it might help her heal. Maybe she would also be open to other options to have a child. "Well, if you really need my help..." She said, giving in to him. She smiled at him, and he felt happy seeing her smile that way.   

 

--

 

Chun and Ella arrived at the orphanage in time for the party. As he looked at his wife, he saw her smiling at the kids playing around. He had always imagined her being a mom to his kids. He knew she would be a loving and caring mother. After all, Ella had always loved kids, and she would have been a perfect mother. 

 

"Chun! Ella! You're finally here!" 

 

Danson ran up to them. "It's nice to see you again, Danson." Chun told him. Danson smiled at the two. "Oh, so you're finally back together?" he asked. The two of them looked at each other, then back at Danson. "If you are, then that's good. Ella, you had no idea how he was crying when he was looking for you." Danson told her. "Chun was crying?" Ella asked, surprised at his revelation. Then, she looked at Chun. "Yes! He thought he's going to die without you by his side." Danson said. 

 

Chun cleared his throat, and handed him the box of cookies. "We're just here to deliver the cookies. I hope the kids would enjoy them." Chun told him. "Wait, are you going to leave? Why don't you stay for a while?" Danson asked them. Chun worriedly looked at Ella. "We can't..." he said. 

 

But then, Ella smiled at the sight of the kids playing around. "Maybe we can stay a few more minutes?" Ella asked. "If you want to, we can stay." he said. Ella nodded her head. 

 

Chun watched as Ella interacted with the kids. She would play with them, and dance with them. She also taught them a few songs. "She would have been a great mom, wouldn't she?" Danson told Chun. Chun nodded his head. "You know what, there's this doctor here in Taipei... she's really good. Maybe you and Ella can get a second opinion?" Danson told him. Chun shook his head. "I already convinced her before. Maybe the doctors were wrong with their diagnosis, but Ella doesn't want to hear a second opinion." Chun said. 

 

Danson let out a sigh. "It's unfortunate that she can no longer have a child. Are you OK with it?" he asked. Chun nodded his head. "As long as I get to spend forever with her, no matter what our challenges are, I want to be with her." he said. Danson smiled at him. He knew how much Chun loved Ella, and that will never change. "Then, how about adoption? Have you two considered it? It's ironic how those people who deserve to have a child, didn't get any. While those people who don't deserve kids " Danson asked. 

 

Chun let out a sigh. "Honestly, since we lost the baby, and we heard the bad news, we haven't got to talk about our plans. She got really depressed when our little angel died, and at that time, I don't want to pressure her. I just want to go with whatever she wants. But when she asked for divorce... of course I can't let that happen." he told him. "But I can see that she still loves you by the way she looks at you. Just give it time, Chun. She'll be back in your arms before you know it." Danson said. 

 

Chun looked at his wife. It's been a long time since she had seen her that happy. If there's one moment today that he wants to keep forever, it would be the way she smiled today. 

 

--

 

A little girl sat alone at the bench away from the party. She looked at the kids, as she sulked at her own corner. What the little girl didn't know is that someone is watching her. Ella had noticed that this little girl didn't join the other kids, or participated in the events. She then decided to approach her. 

 

"Hello!" Ella greeted. The little girl looked up at her, and gave her a faint smile. "Why are you all alone her? Aren't you enjoying the party?" she asked as she sat beside her. "I don't know most of them. I'm new here." the little girl said. "Then, the more that you should join them to get to know them better, right?" Ella said. 

 

The little girl sighed as she looked away. "What's your name?" Ella asked. "I'm Stephy. What's yours?" she asked. "I'm Ella." she said. The little girl smiled sweetly at her. "You know, you looked like my mommy when she was alive." she said. Then, the smile on her face slowly faded. "But she and daddy left me..."

 

Ella could feel her heart wrenching at her story. "Why? What happened to your mommy and daddy?" she asked. "We had an accident on our way back home from our vacation. Mommy and daddy chose to save me, and then they died in the fire..." Stephy said sadly. Ella wanted to cheer her up. She could feel Stephy's pain, for she also lost someone she loved - her own child. 

 

She lifted her chin, and then smiled at her. "Don't be sad. When mommy and daddy left you, they just transformed into guardian angels so that they could always be with you wherever you are." she said. Stephy looked at her sadly. "But I miss mommy's hugs. I wish she could hug me again." she said. "Well, how about this. Since I look like your mommy, can you pretend I'm her so you can hug me?" Ella said. 

 

This time, Stephy's face lightend up. "You'll do that for me? Can I really hug you?" Stephy asked. Ella nodded her head. Then, Stephy hugged her tight. This time, her heart was filled with happiness when Stephy hugged her. It was like a missing piece in her was filled up by this girl. 

 

As Chun was walking towards her, she saw Ella with the little girl. He smiled to herself as he watched them. The two looked like mother and daughter. His heart was contained with happiness seeing his wife this happy. And he wished it would be that way forever.