The Third Party

Me And The Girl Next Door

"Is she your girl?" 

 
 

Xue Fu asked as she put Sylvia's picture on the table. Sam looked at Sylvia's picture, and then turned to face her. She felt pleasure seeing the fear in his eyes. "Don't hurt her." he said in fear. "You're forgetting the magic word, Sam..." Xue Fu told him. "Please..." Sam pleaded. "It would be sad if she found out about Brent, right?" she said. "She knew about Brent." Sam said.  

 
 

Xue Fu stood up from her seat, and then walked up to Sam. From his back, he hugged her. "But she doesn't know you're engaged to me, right?" she whispered. Sam didn't answer her. She let out a smirk. "I take it as a yes. Do you want me to tell her all about it?" 

 
 

Sam remained silent. He doesn't know what Xue Fu is thinking. But one thing's for sure - he'll do everything to protect Sylvia.  

 
 

-- 

 
 

Hebe entered the Wu household, and saw Chun sitting on the couch. "Chun..." she called. Chun looked up at her. "Hebe? What's the news?" he said. She could see his eyes full of hope, but sadly, she bore no news at all. "She's not in Taipei." Hebe said. Chun furrowed his eyebrows. "What do you mean she's not in Taipei? Her passport is missing, and she closed her accounts." he said.  

 
 

Hebe walked up to him, and sat beside him. "I called Sphinx, Danson and Calvin. They have not seen her around. But they promise to call  once they heard from her." she said. Chun stood up and pace around. "Where could she be? Why doesn't she want to be found?" he asked.  

 
 

"Let her be for now. If we try to find her and get her back here, it will not be easy. Chun, your wife is going through a lot right now. Maybe it's her way to clear her mind." she suggested. Chun let out a sigh. He's running out of idea as to where his wife is.  

 
 

-- 

 
 

"Where do you want to go?" Sam asked while they were walking out of school. "That dessert stall again. What do you think?" she suggested. "Sure. You want the bubble wrap?" he asked. Sylvia thought for a while. "I think I want to try something else from their menu." she said. Sam smiled at her, and nodded his head.  

 
 

Just then, someone blocked their way. "Hello, Sam." Sam looked up, and saw Xue Fu walking up to their direction. "Xue Fu..." he said in a low voice. Sylvia, on the other hand, was confused. "Do you know her, Sam?" she asked. Xue Fu folded her arms as she faced them. "Of course, he know me. He know me too well. After all -" 

 
 

"She's Xue Fu, a childhood friend. She just came back from France." Sam told Sylvia. "Oh, so you, Brent and Xue Fu all grew up together?" Sylvia asked. Xue Fu smiled and nodded her head. "Then, I'm glad to meet you, Xue Fu. I hope we can be friends." she said. Xue Fu nodded her head. "Sure, but that depends on Sam...." Xue Fu said, eyeing Sam.  

 
 

Sam let out a sigh. "What do you want?" he asked in an annoyed tone. "Oh, nothing. I just want to remind you that you're supposed to accompany me somewhere today. You've been making me wait for a long time." Xue Fu said. Sylvia gasped upon hearing that. "Oh, my. I didn't know." she said. Then she turned to Sam. "Why don't you go ahead with her first. We can go to the dessert stall tomorrow instead." Sylvia said to him as she smiled.  

 
 

Sam knew what Xue Fu was planning. He couldn't believe that Sylvia fell for her lie "But -"  

"Come on. Seems like the two of you haven't seen each other for a long time. Sam, you should accompany your friend, catch up with her, all right?" she said. 

 
 

Xue Fu smiled to herself. Her plans are finally coming into fruition. She can't believe Sam's girlfriend is gullible enough to believe her lie. "I can't leave you, Sylvia. I promised Wes I'll take you home today." he said. Sylvia held both his cheeks, and turned his face to her. "I'll be all right. Besides, I need to make sure Wes is OK. We still have tomorrow, right? I'll wait for Wes to finish his meeting with the student council today, then I'll walk home with him." Sylvia said.  

 
 

Sam sighed in resignation. Seems like he have no choice but to accompany Xue Fu today. "All right then. I'll call you tonight. Sam said. He turned to face Xue Fu. "Let's go." he said. Xue Fu held on to his arms as they walked away from Sylvia, while Sylvia just watched the two. 

 
 

It was that scene that Diana saw as she approached Sylvia. "Who's that girl?" Diana asked Sylvia. "Oh, that's Xue Fu, Sam's childhood friend." Sylvia explained. Diana folded her arms as she raised an eyebrow. "I don't like that girl." Diana told her. Sylvia gave her a puzzled look. "Why?" Sylvia asked. "She looks like someone who will snatch Sam away from you. You have to be careful of her, all right?" 

"She looks like a nice girl." 

"She seems like nice outside. Maybe she isn't inside." 

"I don't think she's that kind of girl." 

"But still, you have to be cautious. I really have a bad feeling about her. You shouldn't let your guards down when it comes to Sam." 

 
 

Sylvia let out a sigh. "All right, I will. But I trust Sam." she said. "So, what are you going to do now? Do you want to wait for Wes and Wayne?" Diana asked. Sylvia smiled and nodded her head. "Sure! Let's go back!" 

 
 

-- 

 
 

Xue Fu and Sam sat inside the posh restaurant. Sam watches Xue Fu as she take her time drinking her coffee. "What do you want?" Sam finally asked. Xue Fu looked at him, and smiled. "I just want to enjoy this cup of coffee." she said. "No. I mean, what do you want from me?" Sam asked.  

 
 

Xue Fu put down her cup, and faced him. "Revenge." she said. Sam let out a sigh as he leaned back on his chair. "You took away my happiness, Sam. I'll take away yours."  

"You promised not to hurt Sylvia." 

"I didn't say I will hurt her." 

 
 

She let out an evil smile at him. "You are the one who will hurt her." she said. Sam gave her a confused look. "Break up with her. After that, I can forgive you for Brent's death." 

 
 

-- 

 
 

Diana finally saw Wes alone at the student council office. She took a deep breath, and got inside to talk to her. "Wes..." she called. Wes looked at her, and sighed. For sure, she will ask again how he is. Since he and Tia broke up, the three had been checking up on him every second, that sometimes it annoys him.  

 
 

"I'm all right. I'm not sad. Don't worry." he said. "No, I want to talk to you about something else." Diana said as she sat beside him. He looked at him, and saw the seriousness in her face. "What is it about?" he asked. "I'm worried about Sylvia." she said.  

 
 

Wes gave her a confused look. "What's wrong with Sylvia? Is there something she isn't telling me?" he asked worriedly. Diana shook her head. "It's just that I had a bad feeling about Sam, and his friend. A girl space friend." Diana said. Wes furrowed his brow. "What about them?" 

"Do you ever have that feeling that you see someone for the first time, and you know they're no good? Like, they're just bound to hurt you?" 

"No. That's why I got dumped, remember?" 

"It's not what I meant. It's a girl's instinct. I'm just scared Sylvia will get hurt by Sam and his friend. She doesn't look... nice. I feel she's up to something no good. Something like hurting one of them, I don't know. I can't explain. But all I can tell you is that I'm scared she might hurt our friend. I have a feeling she had something about Sam." 

 
 

Wes thought for a while. Part of him wanted to go with Diana's instinct, but the rational side of him tells him not to judge them right away. But, if there's a way for him to prevent Sylvia's future heartbreak, he'll definitely do that. "I tried to warn Sylvia, but she won't listen to me. Maybe... maybe you can talk to her? I know you also look after her, but... I don't know..." Diana said. Although she can't explain what she wanted him to do, Wes understood.  

 
 

"Don't worry. I'll talk to Sylvia. Thank you for bringing this to my attention." he said. Diana smiled, and nodded her head. 

 
 

-- 

 
 

"Sylvia, I'm sorry but I need to accompany Xue Fu again." 

 
 

Sam sadly told her before they left the classroom. "But, you said you want to go with me to the dessert stall today..." Sylvia said as she pouted. "I know I promised you a date today, but this is really important. I'm really sorry..." Sam said.  

 
 

Sadness registered in her face as she lowered her head. Sam lifted up her chin as he smiled at her. "Promise, I'll make it up to you, all right?" he promised her. Then, he kissed her on the forehead, and hugged her tight. "I love you..." he heard her say.  He wanted to say he loves her too, but he couldn't. After all, he's bound to break her heart anyway.  

 
 

He let her go, and smiled at her. "I have to go. Xue Fu's waiting for me." he said. He took his bag, and left Sylvia all alone.  

 
 

After Sam left, Wes approached Sylvia. "Is there something wrong? Why did Sam leave you?" he asked. Sylvia let out a sigh. "He said he have to meet up with Xue Fu, his childhood friend." she explained. She took her bag, and went outside the classroom. Wes followed her.  

 
 

"Are you all right?" he asked. Sylvia shrugged her shoulders. "I don't know what I should feel. Since Xue Fu came, he spends less time with me. He always have to accompany her to go somewhere. He always have to cancel our date because Xue Fu needs him."  

"Do you feel jealous?" 

"I think so... am I allowed to feel that way?" 

 
 

Wes smiled at her, and patted her head. "Of course, silly girl. You should be jealous. Sam is you boyfriend. You should be jealous because another girl is taking his time." Wes said. Sylvia sadly lowered her head. "I don't like what I'm feeling then..." she said. Wes let out a sigh. "Tell you what. If I treat you to that dessert stall, will you smile and feel better this time?" he asked. This made Sylvia smile. "Really? You'll eat sweets with me?" she asked. Wes nodded his head. Then, he pinched her nose as she smiled happily. "Glad you're smiling now. Let's go?" he said. "Let's go!" she said.  

 
 

As Wes held her hand, his heart began to beat fast again. He paused and looked at her. "Why am I feeling this way?" he thought.  

 
 

-- 

 
 

After school at a posh restaurant.  

 
 

Sunnee placed a cup of coffee in front of Dylan. Dylan folded his arm as he looked at the coffee, then look at Sunnee. Sunnee looked away from him. "Is there anything else you need, sir?" Sunnee asked. Dylan let out a smirk. "Can you put some sugar and cream in my coffee?" Dylan said.  

 
 

Sunnee was trying to control her temper. Dylan should be thankful she needed this part time job, and he's a customer, or she would have punched him at that moment. She tried to smile at him. "Sir, you have a bowl of sugar and cream before you. You can mix it to your coffee as you wish." she explained. "But I want you to do it." Dylan said. He leaned on his chair, and smiled evilly at her. Sunnee gave him dagger looks. "Stupid ice princess..." she mumbled under her breath.  

 
 

Sunnee took the teaspoon of sugar, and then looked at Dylan. "How many teaspoon of sugar do you want on your coffee?" she asked. "Two. And I don't like white sugar. I want the brown one." Dylan told her. Sunnee smiled at him, and took a teaspoon of brown sugar and put it on his coffee. "How about the cream, sir?" Sunnee asked. "Three." Dylan said, holding up his three fingers. Sunnee nodded her head and added the cream to his coffee.  

 
 

"Enjoy your coffee, sir." Sunnee said as she bowed to him. Dylan took the cup, and sipped on it, made a disgusted expression, then put his cup back on the table. "Ah, I don't like this. It's cold. Maybe because Elsa touched it." Dylan said looking at Sunnee. 

 
 

Sunee could feel a vein popping out of her forehead. Dylan is too much. "You need this job, Sunnee. Remember that." she told herself. As she composed herself, she smiled again at Dylan. "Then, I will replace your coffee, sir. Please wait for me." she said.  

 
 

Sunnee took his coffee, and headed back inside the kitchen. As she was about to go back to Dylan with a fresh of coffee, her co-worker called her. "Sunnee, I'll go and take care of your customer. Can you help bring this to the VIP upstairs?" her co-worker said. "Anything, just to get away from that ice princess!" Sunnee said. She took the tray, and went up to the VIP room.  

 
 

-- 

 
 

"I can't do it." Sam said to Xue Fu. "I love Sylvia. I can't break up with her." Xue Fu stood up from her seat, and slammed her hand on the table. "You'll do whatever I want. You owe me that." she told him. "Anything but that, please, Xue Fu..." he pleaded.  

 
 

She let out a laugh as she circled him. "Sam Lin. The known rebel and fighter. I can't believe you'll beg mercy from me because of a girl. Now I know your new weakness." she said. She got closer to him, and pulled him by the collar. "Before, it was me, right?" Xue Fu said. Sam looked away from her.  

 
 

"Don't you know that I already know?" she asked. Then, she leaned to his ear, and whispered to it. "You loved me first. That's why you agreed to the engagement." Xue Fu whispered. Sam's eyes widened upon hearing that. He can't believe Xue Fu found out his secret for the longest time. "Why? You thought I wouldn't find out? You didn't agree to our betrothal to help me and Brent. You did it for your own gain. Because you know in the end, he wouldn't be with me, right?" Xue Fu said. "That's not true!" Sam said defensively.  

 
 

"Yes. Brent and I both like you. But I know Brent loves you the most. So I gave way to him. When our fathers arranged our marriage, yes I was happy. But I was miserable because I know I'll take you away from Brent. That's why I agreed to help the two of you. " Sam said. Xue Fu raised an eyebrow at him. "Oh, really?" she asked. Sam nodded his head. "So, you have moved on from me?" Xue Fu asked  

 
 

Xue Fu put her arms around his neck. "Have you forgotten about me? Then maybe I should make you remember how much you loved me..." Xu Fu whispered to her. With that, Xue Fu kissed Sam on the lips.  

 
 

Sunnee leaned back on the wall outside of the VIP room. She heard and saw everything. "Oh my God..." she thought. The first thing she thought about is Sylvia. "What should I do? Should I tell this to her?" she thought. If only she returned to bring Dylan's coffee instead of assisting in the VIP room, then maybe she wouldn't be in such a dilemma.  

 
 

-- 

 
 

Ella stood in front of their old house. She could remember all the happy times she had with Chun in this place. She doesn't know why, but her feet directed her here.  

 
 

This was where they met again after a long time, where they pretended to be in love, where they fell in love. They made so many dreams and promises here. And so, she wonders why her feet took her back to the place where it all started. 

 
 

"Can I help you?" 

 
 

Ella looked up at the woman who came out of the house. "Hi. I'm Ella Chen. Can I rent a room in your house?"