The Sweetheart

Me And The Girl Next Door

"Ella jie, I'm going to school now!"

 

Sylvia said as she headed by the door. "Sylvia, wait!" Ella called her. Sylvia stopped, and looked at her. "What is it, Ella jie?" she asked. "Well, Zheng came here last night. He said he can't get hold of you, so he asked me to pass a message for you." Ella said. "What message?" she asked. "He said, he can't walk with you to school this morning because he have to pick Pei Ci from her house, and that they'll go to school together, and that he'll just see you at school." Ella said. 

 

Her good morning suddenly became bad because of that message. "Oh..." she muttered. "If you want, I can ask Chun to bring you to school." Ella said. Sylvia let out a sad sigh. "It's OK, Ella jie. I can walk to school on my own. No big deal." she said. Ella smiled at her. "All right, then take care. I'll see you later." she said. Sylvia nodded, and headed out  of the house.

 

She walked alone in the street. She had a long face because Wes is not with her. "He chose that girl over me? Stupid Zheng!" she told herself. Then, she felt someone was following her. She slowed down, as she tried to observe that someone following her. She was scared to look back, because she doesn't know what will happen next. 

 

She heard the news about the ert, prying on school girls in broad daylight. Just thinking about it made her scared. Then, she began to speed up her steps, until she found herself running. "Zheng!" she wanted to shout. She was running fast, until she bump into someone's back. 

 

"I'm sorry!" she shouted at the person in front of her. Wayne looked back, and was confused at her. "Fei Fei? Why are you alone?" he asked. He could see the scared look on her face. Diana, who was just beside Wayne, looked at her. 

 

"Fei Fei, you know what the teacher said, right? We should be careful because the ert is just around the area!" she scolded her. She looked as if she wanted to cry. "Well, I think it's a ert that's following me!" she said. Wayne took a look behind Sylvia, and saw nothing suspicious. 

 

"I don't see anyone behind you..." he said. "Where's Zheng?" Diana asked. Sylvia shrugged her shoulders. Wayne could only sigh. "Come on, we'll walk you to school, all right. It's better that way than let that ert follow you." he told her. Sylvia just nodded, and followed the two. 

 

A figure got out from his hiding, and watched as Sylvia left with her friends. "I didn't mean to scare you..." he thought. Then, he let out a sigh. He knew there would be a day that she will find out he's back. But until that day comes, he decided to watch over her. 

 

--

 

Pei Ci looked nervously at the school gate. Then, she felt his hand hold hers. She looked at him. The warmth of his hand, and that sweet smile is just enough to take way all the fear she had inside. "Ready to go, Xiao Ci?" Wes asked her. She smiled, and nodded her head. 

 

He held her hand as they walked inside the school, and until they got to the school's administration office. "Thank you for walking me to school today!" Pei Ci told him. Wes smiled at her. "Then, I'll see you later at the classroom." he asked. Pei Ci nodded her head. She smiled at him, and entered the office. Wes made sure Pei Ci is inside the office before he went to the classroom. 

 

As he entered the classroom, he saw Wayne, Diana and Sylvia talking. "He's here. Be quiet!" he heard Sylvia said in a hushed voice as he approached him. "Good morning!" he greeted. "Morning. You and Sylvia didn't walk together to school today?" Wayne asked him. "I had to do something early in the morning, so I had to leave her." Wes said. 

 

He looked at Sylvia and saw the annoyed look on her face. Somehow, he was amused by it. "Why?" Wes asked. "Did you forget? There was a ert prying on school girls lately!" Diana said. Still, there was no reaction from Wes. "And so?" he asked. 

 

An angry tick formed on Wayne's forehead. "Aren't you a bit worried about Sylvia?" he asked. Wes shook his head. "Fei Fei can take care of herself. Right, Fei Fei?" Wes asked her. Sylvia let out a sigh, and she gave him an annoyed look. "Yes, I can take care of yourself." she said. "See." Wes said. "But -" before Wayne could continue, Sylvia held his wrist. He looked at her, and then shook his head. "Fine!" Wayne said. 

 

The first bell rang, and everyone went back to their seats. Their form teacher, Ms. Han, came inside the classroom. Sylvia was surprised when Pei Ci followed her. "Good morning class. By the way, we have an exchange student here with us from Canada. She's Tseng Pei Ci. She'll be joining us for a while, all right?" Ms. Han said. 

 

Sylvia looked back at Wes, and saw him smiling at her. She looked at Pei Ci, and caught her smiling and waving at Wes. "Ms. Tseng, take the seat right next to Wes." Ms. Han told her. "Thank you, Ms. Han." Pei Ci said sweetly. 

 

"Wes, you know her?" Wayne asked. Wes nodded his head. "She's cute." Wayne commented. Diana looked back at him, and glared at her boyfriend. "You were saying, Wei Jin?" she said as she smiled evilly. Wayne felt the coldness in her glare, and he got scared. "But my girlfriend is cuter." Wayne added. Diana smiled again. "Good." she said. 

 

Sylvia watched as Wes and Pei Ci talked to each other. To her, Wes is smiling different at Pei Ci. "Fine! Ignore me if you want!" she said as she gritted her teeth. She folded her arms as she pouted. 

 

--

 

"Aaaaaaaahhhh!"

 

She kicked the martial arts dummy, and punched it as hard as she could. Diana and Wayne could only watch from the sidelines of the school dojo, as Sylvia attempts to destroy the dummy by kicking and punching it.

 

"She's pissed." Diana said as she folded her arms. "I think I know who caused her to be this angry." Wayne said. Then, they looked at each other. "Zheng!" the both said together. 

 

"I thought they had resolved their issue before?" Wayne asked. Diana shrugged her shoulders. "I think it's a different issue now." Diana said. They looked at each other again. "She's jealous." they both said before watching Sylvia. 

 

"I'd never seen Fei Fei this angry before...." Diana said as she shook her head. "What should we do? We can't let the two of them drift apart..." Wayne said. 

 

They heard a loud thud on the floor. They looked back, and saw Sylvia her tired body on the floor. "Why does my heart hurt when I see them together?" she thought as she stared at the ceiling. "Yu Fei, get hold of yourself. You don't need to be jealous. So what if he had not told you about her? So what if he likes her? As if I care!" she told herself. 

 

--

 

"How's Canada?"

"What kind of flowers do you like?"

"Do you have a boyfriend?"

"Can I have your number?"

 

Pei Ci was swarmed by questions from the boys in their class. "Hey, will you all get away from her!" Wes shouted the moment he entered the classroom. All the boys left Pei Ci's side. "Sorry about that. I hope they didn't scare you." Wes told her. Pei Ci gave him a smile. "A little. But I know you'll come to my aid, and you did!" she said. 

 

"Are you hungry? I bought us lunch from the cafeteria." Wes said. He placed a bento box in front of her. "Thank you, my Xiao  Zheng! You're thoughtful as ever!" she said. As they were about to eat, Wayne, Diana and Sylvia came inside the classroom. 

 

"Whoa, you two are having lunch without us, huh?" Wayne told him in a hurt tone. "Hey, join us!" Wes said. "Did you buy Fei Fei lunch?" Diana asked. Wes shook his head. "I thought Ella jie prepared her lunch." Wes said. 

 

Diana gave Sylvia a pity look. Sylvia let out a sigh, and smiled. "It's all right. I'll just buy my lunch first. You two go ahead without me." she said. She wore that smile until she got out of the classroom. And once she's away from them, she folded her arms, and gritted her teeth. "I hate you, Zheng!" she thought. She can't believe just because of the new girl, Wes would forget her.