Love Rivals

Me And The Girl Next Door

"Fei..."

 

He held her hand as he called her. He was ready to be pushed away again. But then, She  looked back at him, and gave her a faint smile. "We should go back. It's almost time for the next class, right?" she said. Seeing her smile made his heart flutter. He held tightly onto her hand, not wanting to let it go. "You're right. Let's go back to class." he said. 

 

They slowly walked back to the classroom. Both of them, not wanting the moment to end. They secretly glanced at each other. "If I had known what I truly felt for him is  love, I shouldn't have rejected him..." she thought as she looked up at him. "That warm hand, that gentle gaze... I started to realize that I love everything about him." she said to herself. 

 

He glanced at her, and he let out a smile. "Is there a chance that what you felt for me has changed? Is there a chance that you can love me too?" he asked in his thought. Both of them stopped walking, and then faced each other. "Zheng -"

"Fei -"

Then, he held both of her hands, and gazed into her face. As he opened his mouth to speak, he heard someone calling me. 

 

"Zheng ge, there you are!"

 

Both of them looked in front of them, and saw Pei Ci running up to him. "Xiao Ci..." he called as he smiled at her. As Pei Ci got nearer, he turned to her with a smile. she could only watch as Wes let go of her hands. She looked up, and saw Wes put his arm around her. "Were you looking for me?" he asked. Pei Ci nodded her head. "Where have you been?" she asked with a pout. 

 

Sylvia could only watch as the two leave. It wasn't just jealousy that she's feeling right now - there's also sadness, seeing him give the new girl a very special smile. "The warmth of his hand, the gentle gaze... I guess it already belongs to Pei Ci..." she thought. 

 

--

 

"Done!"

 

Sylvia looked at the clean classroom. She was finally done with her cleaning duties that week. "Ah! Finally we're done. I'm so tired, I want to rest!" Diana told her. The two of them were partners for their cleaning duties that week. "Rest, or a date with Xiao Jin?" she asked. Diana let out a smile. "I feel more energized when I'm with Xiao Jin, do you know?" Diana said. 

 

Both of them sat on an empty chair for a while to rest. "Diana, can I ask you something?" she asked. Diana nodded her head. "What made you realize that you have to confess to Wayne that you love him?" she asked. Diana let out a smile. "After the talent show, he got himself some fan girls. They were lusting over him!" she said with a laugh. "That was the time I realized, I can't let anyone steal my Xiao Jin away from me. He's mine. So, that night, I gathered all my courage to confess to him." Diana said. 

 

Then, she furrowed her brows as she looked at Sylvia. "Why did you ask anyway?" Diana asked. Sylvia looked outside the window, and saw Wes and Pei Ci walking together. She felt her heart in pain seeing them together again. "Do you think Zheng likes Pei Ci?" she asked. "There is a possibility." Diana said as she looked outside. "I've never seen Zheng give all of his attention to her. And it's so obvious that Pei Ci likes him too." 

 

She looked at Sylvia, and saw the sad look on her face. "Fei Fei?" she called. "Do you think it's too late for me to accept him?" she asked again. "Fei Fei, don't tell me..." Diana covered with her hand. "You finally realized you love him, don't you?" she asked. 

 

Sylvia looked at her. Diana smiled as she held her hand. "Maybe it's not yet too late. Maybe Zheng still loves you. How about this. I'll you with your confession to him, all right?" she said. Sylvia finally smiled as she nodded her head.

 

--

 

"It's nice being around you, my Xiao Zheng...." Pei Ci said as they walked home together. Wes let out a smile. "You did miss me, didn't you?" Wes asked. Pei Ci nodded her head. "Being with Zheng ge, I feel so safe and happy." she said. 

 

Then, she paused, and turned to face him. "Zheng ge, actually, I'm really happy to be back home." she said. Wes gave her a curious look. "Why?" he asked. Then, she let out a smile. "Because I get to spend more time with you!" she said. Wes let out a laugh. "You're so silly." he said as he patted her head. 

 

They continued walking home. Pei Ci looked up at him, and smiled to herself. Then, she took his hand, and held it. Wes paused, and looked at her. "Zheng ge's hand is so warm. I wonder whose hands he held before..." she said. 

 

Wes thought for a while. "There is this girl..." he began. Pei Ci's eyes widened upon hearing that. "Ah! Zheng ge had a girl before..." she said. Wes nodded her head. "When I first saw her, I was mesmerized. She was so beautiful. She became my goddess. I fell in love with her, and she fell in love with me too. But..."

 

Pei Ci saw the sad look in his eyes. "It's didn't work out. In the end, she left me." he said. Pei Ci nodded her head. "An ex-girlfriend?" she asked. "I guess so." Wes said. "Zheng ge must have been hurt before..." she said sadly. Wes nodded his head. 

 

"How about you? Whose hands did you hold before?" he asked her. "A boy." she said as she smiled. "And?" he asked. "We were friends since we were young. He always holds my hand whenever I feel cold. I have always liked holding his hand before, and even until now. Because his hands feel warm." she said, looking up at him. 

 

Wes could only laugh at her. "Just me? No ex-boyfriends?" he asked. Pei Ci shook her head. "Well, I'm lucky to be the first boy you held hands with." he said. "Maybe in the future, you can hold my hand and never let it go?" she asked. 

 

Pei Ci stopped walking. Before they knew it, they were already in front of her house. She turned to face him, and smiled. "I'll see you tomorrow then, all right?" she said. Wes nodded his head. Then, Pei Ci tiptoed to him, and quickly kissed him on the cheeks. This made him surprised. "Bye, Zheng ge!" she said gleefully. 

 

He touched his cheek, and let out a laugh. "That girl..." he said as he shook his head. 

 

--

 

Chun looked at the younger man before him. He kept on sighing as he ate his food. "What's wrong?" he finally asked. "Chun ge... if a girl kisses you on the cheeks, does she like you?" Wes asked. Chun let out a smile. "Why? did Sylvia kissed you on the cheek?" he asked. Wes shook his head. "Pei Ci kissed me on the cheek." he said. 

 

Chun paused for a while, and looked at him. "Oh no! Someone wants to break Team Zheng Loves Fei Fei Forever!" he thought. Chun let out a smiled. "Maybe it's just a friendly kiss." he said. Wes nodded his head. "And... Chun ge... if I accidentally kissed a girl, should I say sorry?" he asked. Chun wrinkled his brow as he looked at him. "You accidentally kissed Pei Ci?" he asked. Wes shook his head. But he saw his cheeks turned red. 

 

"Is it Fei Fei?" Chun asked. "I didn't mean to kiss her! It was an accident!" Wes exclaimed. Chun smiled and tried to suppress his laughter. "Did Fei Fei got mad?" Chun asked. Wes shook his had. "I don't know! Chun ge, we weren't properly talking lately. I didn't even know she was in danger days ago if Ella jie didn't tell me she's being stalked. I want to properly talk to her, but I don't know how. She's been avoiding me lately. I'm not even sure why. I know it was my fault because I about being scared and I provoked her, but I just want her to notice me."

 

Chun folded his arms. "Zheng..."

"Chun ge?"

"I only asked if Fei Fei is mad at you after you kissed, and you gave me a full diary of what happened lately." 

 

Wes let out a sigh. "How can I explain that I didn't mean that kiss...." he said sadly. "Don't you really mean that?" Chun asked. "Of course I want to kiss Fei Fei! But not that way. I don't want to make her think that I'm taking advantage of her." Wes said. Chun let out a sigh. "Whether she got mad or not, you should still apologize to her." Chun told him. 

 

--

 

After dinner, Wes went outside his house, and sat on the bench while playing the guitar. As he looked up, he saw Sylvia walking up to him. "Hi." she said. Wes smiled at her. "Can I accompany you?" she asked. Wes let out a laugh. "Why are you asking that?"

"Because maybe you don't want me around..."

"Why not? Come on, and sit beside me."

 

Sylvia sat beside Wes, and both of them were quiet for a while. Sylvia listened as he strummed on his guitar. She looked at him, and let out a faint smile. "I never thought I'd miss being this close to him..." she thought. Wes looked at her, and caught her staring at him. Sylvia looked away from him. 

 

"We haven't talked about what happened a while ago..." Wes began. Sylvia looked at him. "Come to think of it, it felt like ages since we last talked properly." she said. Wes smiled and nodded her head. "About what happened at the rooftop... I... I didn't mean to do that." he said. 

 

Sylvia nodded her head. "It was an accident." she said. Wes nodded her head. "I... I don't want you to think that I'm taking advantage of you. You're my little sister, right?" he said as he smiled nervously. Sylvia paused for a while. "He only sees me as a little sister now... it's my fault..." she thought. She forced a smiled for him. "Yeah, I know that. I guess it's clear now." she said. 

 

Wes stared at her. "Next time I'll kiss you, it won't be an accident anymore. And I'll make sure that you feel the same way for me." he thought. "Can I ask something?" he heard Sylvia say. Wes nodded his head. "Pei Ci... what is she to you?" she asked. 

 

Wes let out a sigh. "Pei Ci is a dear friend." he said. "It's just that I noticed how close you are lately..." Sylvia said. "She just missed me, and I missed her too. That's why." Wes explained. Sylvia took a deep breath, as she asked another question. "Do you think you could like her?" she asked. 

 

He looked at her, and became silent. "If... if you could like another person, do you think it would be her?" she asked again. Then, he let out a nervous laugh. "I think so. She's nice. She's a sweet girl. And pretty too. It won't be hard not to fall for her, right?" he said. 

 

Sylvia was a bit hurt because of his answer. "So... there is a possibility you could like her..." she said in a low voice. "I guess so." he said. Then, he glanced at her. "I'm lying, don't listen to me!" he thought. Then, she smiled at him. "Well, if my big brother likes another girl, I will support him." she said. "Are you sure about that?" Wes asked. Sylvia nodded her head. "Even if it hurts, even if the girl you will like is not me, I will wish for your happiness." she thought. "After all, you deserve to be happy too, right?" she told him.  "But you're the only one that can make me happy..." he wanted to say. 

 

"Ah, it's getting late. I should go to bed now. Don't worry about me tomorrow, I can go to school on my own, so you can walk Pei Ci to school then." she said. She stood up. As she waved goodbye to him, she let out a smile. 

 

But as she turned her back on him and walked back to her home, she bit her lips. Tears began to fall from the corner of her eyes.