The Sunny Girl

Me And The Girl Next Door

The short haired girl peeked from the opening of the bookshelf. She could clearly see his serious face as he reads his favorite comic book. She smiled to herself. She turned her back on the shelf as she clutched her chest. "Why is he so cute, I can't take it." she thought. She peeked again, but she was disappointed to find that he's gone. 

 

Her expression changed to a sad one, when she found out he's gone. "Too soon?" she thought. "Sunnee, is that you?" she heard someone call her name. She know that voice. She had memorized it anyway. Her heart was beating fast, she felt she can't contain it anymore. "Sunnee?" he called again. She tried to compose herself as she looked back at him. She began to act normal this time, afraid he'll see through her feelings. 

 

"P'Wayne! I didn't know you were here." she said casually. "This is my favorite comic book store. I always frequent this place. What are you doing here?" Wayne asked her. "I... uh... I... want to read some mangas." Sunnee said, Then, she grabbed the manga right next to her. Wayne gave her a skeptical look. "You like BL stories?" he asked. When Sunnee realized what she grabbed, she immediate put it back on the shelf. Her cheeks turned red with embarrassment. 

 

"How about I recommend some of my favorites to you?" Wayne volunteered. This time, her face lightened up. "Really?" she asked. Wayne nodded his head. "Come on, I'll show you my favorite mangas." Wayne said. He put his arm around her, and walked with her to his favorite spot. "What kind of stories do you like anyway?" Wayne asked her. "I'm not sure. I just got interested in reading manga." Sunnee said. 

 

Before she knew it, they were already at his favorite spot. "Since you're a new reader, maybe you could start with a light one." Wayne said as he looked through the shelf. Sunnee watched as Wayne browses the shelf. She found herself smiling as she stared at her. "Ah, this would be perfect for you." Wayne said as he took a book from the shelf. Sunnee immediately wiped the dreamy look on her face the moment Wayne faced her and handed her the book. "Honey and Clover?" Sunnee asked. Wayne nodded his head. "It's the first manga I read, and also my favorite. You should try reading it." Wayne said. Sunnee looked up at him, and smiled. "I will. I'm pretty sure I'll like this one." Sunnee said. Wayne just smiled at her. "I really hope so." she said. 

 

She said goodbye to him. The moment she turned her back on him, she hugged the manga, and smiled to herself. She hopes this time, she could be closer to him. 

 

--

 

"Back so soon?" Wes said the moment he saw Sylvia by her doorstep. "I am. Are you waiting for me?" Sylvia asked him. Wes smiled and nodded his head. "I want to be the first one to know how your date went." he said. Sylvia smiled happily. By the way she smiled, he could tell she had fun. "It was fun." she said. "I'm glad to know that." Wes said.

 

Both of them sat on the bench in front of Sylvia's house. "We went to the amusement park." Sylvia began. "Ah, your favorite place in the world?" Wes asked. Sylvia said. "I was surprised that he brought me there. I thought we'll just go for movies and dinner." 

"Maybe he realized a simple movie date would be boring, so he he changed his plans."

"I think so too..."

 

The two of them sat silently for a while. Then, Sylvia turned to Wes. "Thank you." she said. Wes gave her a puzzled look. "For what?" 

"For the paper butterfly."

 

Wes let out a smile. "Don't I always give you paper butterflies?" he said. Sylvia nodded her head. "I know that. But today was special. I think it just made the day more special." she said. "I've always wished for you to be happy. If Sam is the one that could make you smile, who am I to get in your way?" Wes said. Then he let out a sigh. "I think I have always been too protective of you. I didn't realize that one day, I will have to let you go so that you experience new things."

 

Sylvia looked at him, and then she burst out laughing. "Why are you talking like my papa?" she said. Wes simply smiled at her. "Because I will always be your big brother. It's natural for me to care for you, and to worry about you" he said. Sylvia then hugged his arm, and then leaned on his shoulder. "That's why I'm so lucky to have you. I know, if I'm happy or sad, I always have your shoulder to lean on to." she said. 

 

Wes looked at Sylvia, and suddenly he felt his heart beating fast as he watched her smile. He took a deep breath, hoping it would help normalize himself. He felt Sylvia let go of his arm. "Well, I need to go inside now. I'll catch you tomorrow, all right?" Sylvia said. Wes simply nodded his head. 

 

As soon as Sylvia is gone, Wes touched his chest. "Why am I feeling this way towards Fei Fei?" he thought. 

 

--

 

Sunnee held on tight to the book as she took a deep breath. She stood up from her seat, and then began to make a step. She wanted to talk to Wayne and to thank him for recommending the manga. Before she could make another step, she heard someone calling her name. 

 

"Sunnee, are you going to the cafeteria with us?" 

 

She looked back, and saw Cosmos calling her. Sunnee just smiled at her. "I'll catch you guys later." she told them. Just then, she saw Diana approaching Wayne. She lost her chance, she thought.  Now that Diana's around Wayne, there's no way she could have a chance to talk to him. 

 

She looked sadly at the two, envying the kind of relationship they have. She know Diana and Wayne have known each other since elementary. Sometimes, she wished she could be in Diana's place so that she could be close to Wayne as well. Defeated, she put the book back on her table, and then went outside the classroom. 

 

She was walking in the hallway with her head hanging low. "Sunnee, you're so slow..." she said to herself. Then, she let out a sigh. "I just want to be close to him, and be friends. OK, so I have a crush on him, but I only want to be friends." she said to herself. She had always admired how smart Wayne is. Not to mention, how he always have a smile on his face. He was friendly to everyone in their class, but he kept his distance from other girls. 

 

It was Wayne whom she first met when she transferred in school. Actually, it was both Wayne and Wes, but Wayne was the one who caught her eyes. During that time, she doesn't know the language, and nobody in their class understood what she was saying. She was about to cry because she couldn't find her way in the school, and then Wayne and Wes came to her rescue. Good thing Wayne know a little Thai, and was able to communicate with her. 

 

She was deep in her thoughts, when she bumped into something. She looked up, and saw a tall guy in front of her. Her eyes widened upon seeing who it was. "Sorry." she said. The tall guy simply ignored him, and brushed her aside. Sunnee could only roll her eyes as he watched him walk away. "Ice princess." she muttered. Then, she saw the guy stopped walking and turned to face her. "I accepted your apology for bumping into me. How dare you insult me." he said. 

 

Sunnee folded her arms as she smirked at him. "Dylan Xiong. You must know, everyone calls you that. It's not an insult!" she said. "It's an insult when it comes out of your mouth. Look, you  even got my shirt dirty." Dylan said as he brushed his shirt. Sunnee rolled her eyes at him. "Oh, please. It's already dirty even before I bumped into you." she said. 

 

"Sunnee? Dylan? Is anything wrong?" 

 

Then two of them looked, and saw Sylvia walking up to them. "Hey, Sylvia. It's all right. I'm just having a chat with our Ice Princess." Sunnee said, giving Dylan a dirty look. "I have no time to chat with someone as childish as you." Dylan told her. Then, Dylan turned his back on Sunnee, and went on his way. 

 

"Someone got out of the wrong side of the bed." Sunnee said. Sylvia smiled at her as she approached her. "Aiyo, as if you don't know our boy genius. He's always cold to everyone. Don't take it to heart." Sylvia said. Sunnee smiled, and nodded her head.