Something's Changed

Me And The Girl Next Door

Wes laid on his bed, thinking back on what happened that night. He let out a smile as he remember how Sylvia smiled at him when they watched the fireworks. But one thing is bothering him. 

 

He sat up on his bed. "Why?" he said to himself. Just as he was about to confess, he saw him. He knew he was watching her. "Why are you back?" He let out another sigh. He stood up from his bed, and walked over the balcony. From where he is standing, he looked at the window in Sylvia's room. 

 

"I promised you, I will protect you." he whispered. He let out another sigh. "I won't let you get hurt again this time. I promise."

 

--

 

Sylvia stared at the ceiling of her room. Something had been bothering her lately. First, Cosmos told her that Wes likes her. She dismissed that thought before, because she knew she's like a little sister for him. But then, there was something about the way he held her hand that night. 

 

Not only the way he held her hand. "Something has changed..." she thought. Even the way he looks at her. Yes, there is a gentle look on his eyes before, but his eyes looked at her like how a boy loves a girl. And when he held her hand, she felt something. She felt her own heart beating fast. 

 

"Why am I feeling this way?" she said to herself as she sat up. "I can't like him, he can't like me. We're like siblings!" she said aloud. She took her teddy bear, and hugged it tight. "Why would Zheng like me anyway?" she told herself. 

 

Bothered, she stood up, and looked outside the window. She immediately saw Wes outside his balcony. The first thing she did was turn away, and duck down so he won't see her. Her cheeks turned warm as she blushed. "Why are you like this, Yu Fei? Are you crushing on your big brother? Yu Fei, that's your big brother! The guy you grew up with! You can't like him!" she told herself. 

 

Slowly, she stood up, and peeked through her window. Wes had already gone inside. She let out a sigh as she finally stood up. "I can't be feeling this way. I should try to act normal..." she said to herself before going back to bed. 

 

--

 

Ella walked inside the orphanage, and the first person she saw is Sister Clarisse. "Good morning, Sister Clarisse." she greeted her. The old nun looked at her, and smiled softly at her. "Good morning Mrs. Wu. I was surprised your husband came here early today." 

 

Ella gave her a puzzled look. "My husband?" she asked. Sister Clarisse nodded her head. "He came here early to visit Stephy. I guess you two had already talked about adopting her, didn't you?" she said. She heard some laughter from the lobby. As she looked up, she saw Chun and Stephy running around, playing tag. 

 

She couldn't help but smile as she watched the two of them play. She could see how Stephy smiles at Chun, and how Chun smiles at her. "If you two are ready to discuss Stephy's adoption, then you know where my office is." she heard Sister Clarisse told her. Ella looked at her and nodded his head. 

 

After the nun headed back to her office, Ella slowly walked towards them. Stephy and Chun stopped playing when they saw her. "Miss Ella!" Stephy shouted gleefully as she ran towards her. The little girl gave her a hug. "You know, Daddy Chun gave me and my friends a lot of cookies today!" Stephy happily told her. 

 

Ella looked at Chun. "Daddy Chun?" she asked. "Yes! He said I can call him Daddy Chun from now on." Stephy told her. Chun walked up to her. "W-why are you here?" Ella asked him. "I wan to see Stephy." he said. "Daddy Chun started to visit me after my birthday. He usually comes here in the morning, before you arrive. But he said to keep his visit a secret from you, but now you know." Stephy said. 

 

Ella knelt down on Stephy and smiled at her. "Stephy, why don't you go and play with your friends first? Me and Daddy Chun will need to talk first." she said. Stephy smiled and nodded her head. Then, she watched the little girl run to her friends. 

 

"I'm sorry. That day you asked me to bake a cake, I decided to follow you. I found out you're visiting Stephy. Since then, I decided to visit her as well." Chun explained. "What else have you found out?" she asked. "You're planning to adopt Stephy, aren't you?" he asked. Ella let out a sigh, and turned away from him. 

 

"Ella, we're still married. Aren't we supposed to talk about these things first?" he asked. "I know you won't like the idea..."

"I want to adopt Stephy."

Ella paused, and then looked back at him. "That day I followed you, I saw how happy you were. I saw how she made you happy. You two don't look like friends, you look like mother and daughter. If you want to adopt her, then, let's adopt her."

 

A tear from her eye as she stared at him. "How can you be like this, Chun?" she asked him. Chun gave her a puzzled look. "Like what?"

"How can you be so kind to me?"

"Because I love you."

 

Ella turned away from him again, and began to walk away. Chun then followed her. "Why are you running away from me?" he asked her. "Because you're making things hard for me." she said. "Is my love suffocating you?"

"No!"

"Then why?"

"Because you still love me even if I don't deserve you. Because you still love me despite the mistake I made. Because you love me, even without asking anything in return."

 

Chun reached for her shoulders, which made her stop. Then, he turned her around to face her. "Ella... remember this. My love for you is greater than your fears and mistakes combined." he told her. "Why do you still love me?" she asked him. He smiled at her as he caressed her cheek. "Because I just do." he told her. 

 

She cried in front of him. She cried, and smiled at him. She knew now that no matter what happens, Chun will always be there for her. She wish she could make him understand, that it was herself that she can't forgive. Then, Ella hugged him. Chun was surprised at what she did, but it made him smile. 

 

He know one day, Ella will be back in his arms. And one day, they will have a complete family. 

 

--

 

Sylvia opened the door, and the first person she saw is Wes standing by her door. As she looked at him and as he smiled, she felt her heart beat fast. "Hi, Fei Fei!" he greeted him. Scared of the new feeling she has, she immediately slammed the door in his face. It left Wes to wonder if he said anything wrong. 

 

Sylvia leaned behind the door. She took deep breaths to calm her down. "Why is my heart beating fast when I see Zheng?" she thought. Then, she heard Wes knock. "Fei Fei, are you all right?" she heard him ask. It doesn't help that she could hear his baritone voice.

 

"I'm... I'm all right!" she said. "I... I just realized I forgot something inside." she added. "Oh, then I'll wait for you here, all right?" he said. Sylvia took deep breaths as she calmed herself down. "Calm down, Yu Fei... calm down. It's just Zheng, your big brother. Calm down." she said. 

 

When she know she has calmed down, she composed herself and opened the door. "So, you got the thing you forgot?" he asked. Sylvia nodded her head. Wes smiled at her. "Then, let's go. Wayne and Diana must be waiting for us." he told her. 

 

Sylvia followed him. As the walked to the cafe where they were going to meet their friends, she stared at his back. She could still remember what Cosmos told her the other day. "Does he like me? Why don't I see that he does? I think he still treats me as a little sister, right? I'm the one who's overthinking here..." she thought. 

 

Then, she bumped to his back. She got back into her senses. Wes immediately turned around to look at her. "Are you all right?" he asked worriedly. She felt she was still in a daze because of overthinking, and she just nodded her head. "Are you sure you're not hurt? What happened to you?" he asked again. 

 

She looked into his worried eyes. "I... I'm OK. I was overthinking." she said. He smiled at her, and lifted her chin. "Don't think too much, all right." he said. Then, her heart began to beat loudly. It's like the time stopped, and they were alone at that street. "What's happening to me?" she thought. 

 

She stepped back from him. But then, she stepped on something, and almost fell on the floor. Wes immediately held her hand, and pulled her back. He hugged her, holding him close to his chest. She could feel her heart beating fast again.

 

But as she looked into his eyes, she realized one thing. The loud heart beat she's hearing now isn't just hers -  she can also hear Wes' own heartbeat.