How To Forgive

Me And The Girl Next Door

The chemotherapy for Jane has started, and every time Allie sees her mother in pain, she couldn't help but cry. As her big brother, Wes tried his best to be strong and not cry in front of her. But deep inside, his heart hurts seeing his own mother in pain. 

 

"Is mommy going to be all right?" Allie asked Wes one time after Jane finished her chemotherapy. Both of them were outside the room as they waited for the doctors to come out.  Wes forced a smile at her. "Of course, she will! She's in good hands. She will get better, don't worry." he told her. Allie lowered her head as she cried. "But why do I feel mommy is getting weaker each day? Ge ge, I'm scared... I don't want to lose mommy..." Allie told her. Wes pulled his sister into a hug, and consoled her. "We're not going to lose mommy." he told her.

 

After a while, his father came out of the room. "Dad..." he called. Qin Yang looked at his son. He felt sorry seeing Allie crying, and his son worried. "Son..." Qin Yang said as he approached the two. "How's mom?" Wes asked him. Qin Yang just looked at him. He doesn't know how to explain Jane's condition to his son. "She's getting weaker, probably because of the chemotherapy, but we will run a test to further check." Qin Yang said. "She's going to be all right, right Dad? Tell me she's going to be OK." Wes asked with hope in his eyes. "We're doing our best." Qin Yang said. 

 

"Uncle Yang, please make mommy well again... I don't want to lose her." Allie said as she tugged on Qin Yang's coat. Qin Yang looked at her, and held her by her shoulder. "I will. I'll do my best. But for now, pray that mommy will regain her strength, all right?" Qin Yang told her. Allie nodded her head. 

 

--

 

Qin Yang and Wes just finished  dinner when the doorbell rang. "I'll go get it." Qin Yang told Wes as he stood up from his seat. Meanwhile, Wes put away their plates to wash. Qin Yang opened the door, and was surprised to see his sister. 

 

"Mei?" Qin Yang called. Melody let out a sigh as she took off her shades. "I'm back." she told him as she went inside the house. "Why are you here?" Qin Yang asked her. "How about you, ge? Why are you back home?" 

"Let's not fight about  this anymore, all right?"

"But at least let's talk about it."

 

Wes came out of the kitchen, and was surprised  to see his Aunt home. "Aunt Melody!  You're back soon... but my graduation isn't soon..." Wes asked in confusion. "I wanted to check on you. Especially your dad." Melody said as she shot a look at her older brother. 

 

"I know why you came home. You're here to interfere with my work, aren't you?" Qin Yang asked. "I will not interfere if  your patient isn't Jane!" Melody shouted angrily at him. "Aunt Melody, please calm down. I think you should know what the situation is with mom..." Wes told her calmly. "I know what this situation is. She's back to ruin this family again." Melody told her. "It's not true. There's more to that, Melody!" Qin Yang said. 

 

Melody turned to face her brother with anger registered  on her face. "What else? Seduce you? She wants you back now?" Melody told her. "Jane has leukemia, and has gone to worst!" Qin Yang shouted at her. Melody was shocked at what she said. "W-what do you mean?" she asked as she tried to compose herself. "Mom is terminally ill..." Wes helped explained. 

 

"When she contacted me, her sickness has worsened. I'm the only one she thinks that can save her. I came back to treat her." Qin Yang explained. Still shocked from what she found out, all Melody can do is slump on the couch. "I... I didn't know it's this bad..." she managed to say. 

 

Qin Yang sat beside her, and held her hand. "That's why I'm asking you to forgive her. I wanted you to have a closure with her. Because we will never have that chance. Peter's dead, and Jane's sick. We have no idea if she will make it or not. We're all living a new life. The only thing to do to leave the past behind is to forgive, right?" he told her. Melody slowly nodded her head. 

 

"Aunt Melody, I have already forgiven mom. Dad did too. All my mom wanted is to amend for her past mistakes. Can you do it for me?" Wes asked her. Melody looked up at her nephew, and she could see the sadness in his eyes. "If... if my mom wouldn't make  it, at least she would die peacefully, knowing she had been forgiven." Wes told her. 

 

Melody was silent for a while. Then, she looked at her brother. "I want to see her." she told him. "I want to see her, and just get this over with..." Qin Yang smiled at her and held her. "You don't know how much this means to me, mei." he told her. Melody looked at Wes, and saw him smiling at her. 

 

--

 

Melody slowly opened the door of the hospital room. She gasped the moment she saw Jane in her frail state. She never thought that when her brother said she's in worse condition, she would be this worse. Although she was angry at her before, she never wished to see her in this condition. 

 

Slowly, she went inside the room. The moment Jane saw her, she let out a smile. "Melody..." she called. Melody smiled  sadly at her. She remembered the last time she saw her. She chased her away because her emotions got in her way. "Hi, Jane. Long time no see." Melody told her. Jane nodded her head. "It's been a while..." Jane said. 

 

Melody approached her, and sat on the chair beside her bed. "How are you feeling?" Melody asked. "A little better for now." Jane told her. For a while, there was silence between them. Melody was trying to find the right words to tell her. 

 

"I know you weren't expecting me in this condition, right?" Jane asked her. Melody nodded her head. "Remember when I came to find you in Canada? I... I wanted to say sorry for all the things I've done. Also, to tell you about what happened to Peter and also about my condition..." Jane told her. "So, at that time, you already have leukemia?" Melody asked. Jane nodded her. "Maybe, this is my karma for what I have done to you. I stole Peter from you, I was the reason your baby died, and I left my family to be with the man I love..." Jane said. 

 

Jane let out a sigh, and looked outside the window. "A lot of bad things happened to me and Peter that made me think it's God's punishment to me for what I have done. Do you know, I had several miscarriages before we had Allie. Three years later, Peter died in a car accident. And then now, it's me..." she said sadly. Melody simply listened to her. But she know, she was about cry.  

 

"Have you met my little girl?" Jane asked. Melody nodded her head. "Allie. She's a nice girl. She takes after you." Melody said. Jane looked at her, and smiled. Then, a tear fell from her eyes as she looked at Melody. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry..." she said as she began to cry. Before she knew it, Melody is crying as well. 

 

Jane reached for her hand, and held it. "I know what I did is unforgivable, but there's never a day that I regret what I did... I regret hurting you, your brother and my son..." she told her.  "I admit. I'm resentful towards you. I never wanted you to come back, or even see my brother or Zheng. But as my brother said, we all needed to move on. I'm sorry I pushed you away before. I'm sorry if it took me so long to forgive you. I'm sorry for  taking away Zheng from you..." Melody said tearfully. Jane shook her head as she smiled tearfully. "You did a wonderful job raising Zheng. Thank you for being a mother to him during the times I wasn't there..." Jane told her. 

 

The two ladies looked at each other, and smiled. Then, they both gave each other a hug. Even if there was silence between them, without words, Jane knew that Melody had already forgiven her.

 

--

 

It was afternoon, and Wes is still at the hospital. Wes was outside his mom's room, with Allie sleeping on his lap. Both of them were waiting for the doctors to come out of the room,  as his mother had an attack a while ago. He looked down on his little sister, who got weary from crying. As much as he wanted to put  on a brave front, he felt like he's going to break down any moment. 

 

"Zheng?"

 

He looked up, and saw Sylvia standing beside her. She looked at him, and she could clearly see the exhaustion in his face. "Hi..." he said wearily. Sylvia sat beside him. "You should take a rest first. You've been taking care of both your mom and Allie..." Sylvia  told him. Wes shook his head. "It's all right. Ms. Joelle, Aunt Melody  and I are taking turns to look after mom." he told her. 

 

Sylvia stared at him. She could see how weary he is the past few days, and it has took much of his strength. But despite it all, he was trying to stay strong for his family. Then, she smiled at him. "Hey, I can lend you my dragon tattooed pan if  you need more power. I can  also transfer my Yi Neng to you. Seems like your KO ranking went down from being KO3 to KO 7." Sylvia told her. Wes let  out a laugh. "At this point, I  may not be able to enter the dimension door, right?" Wes asked. Sylvia nodded her head. 

 

"But seriously, Zheng. I know you feel weak and tired right now. You can lean on me if you feel the everything is too much for you to handle." she told him. Wes let out a sigh. "I needed a hug." he told her. Sylvia leaned on his shoulder, and put her arms around his neck. "Is this all right? Does this make you  feel better?" she asked him. "So much better..." Wes said told her. 

 

Wes looked at her, and stared at her for a long time. He realized that since he found out about his mother, he was not able to spend as much time as he could with his girlfriend.  He felt guilty for neglecting her. "I'm sorry..." he whispered to her. Sylvia gave him a confused look. "For what?" she asked as she looked up at him. "Sorry for not spending as much time  as I want to with you..." he said as he pulled her closer to him. 

 

"I understand..." Sylvia said in a low voice. She let out a faint smile at him. "Your mom needs you now. The two of us will have a lot  of time ahead  of us, right?" she said. Wes nodded his  head. He smiled at her again as he leaned his head on her forehead. "Thank you for understanding me. And thank you for being here for me." he told her. Sylvia looked  at him, and smiled. "I will always be here for you, Zheng. Didn't I promise you before that I won't let you be sad and alone anymore?" 

 

Wes smiled at her. He rested his head on her shoulder, and closed his eyes. "Let me rest  for a while, all right?" he told her. Sylvia just nodded her head, and let Wes sleep on her shoulder for a while.

 

--