About His Past

Me And The Girl Next Door

Jack sat across the table with Sam and Sylvia sitting in front of him. His eyes were looking sharply at Sam. "So, you're the boyfriend..." he said. Sam nodded politely. "Yes sir. I'm glad I've come to meet you today." Sam said. Jack just stared sharply at him. Then, Pauline came and put some snacks on the table. "Well, I'm glad to finally meet you, son. I've heard a lot from you, and I'm curious as to what made Sylvia get interested in you." Pauline said as she sat next to her husband. Sam and Sylvia looked at each other, and smiled. Under the table, he held Sylvia's hand. 

 

"I'm glad to meet you too, madam. Now I know where Sylvia got her cuteness." Sam said. With that, Pauline blushed. "Aiyo, Sylvia you didn't tell me your boyfriend is such a sweet talker." she said. Jack snarled at them. "Maybe he sweet talked our daughter that's why she became his girlfriend." Jack commented. "Pa!" Sylvia called out as she pouted. 

 

"Sir, madam. I came here to meet you because I want to prove that I really love your daughter, and that my intentions are real." Sam said. Jack gave him a suspicious look. "You're intentions are real? Son, how much do you know about my daughter. And you, Yu Fei, how much do you know about this guy? You've just known each other, and you fell in love quickly?" Jack said. He shook his head at them. "I don't know why you kids rush to fall in love, when you have a whole life ahead of you to do the things that you want." he added. 

 

"Papa, we may not know each other that well, but we are getting to know each other little by little each day. Didn't you and mommy darling said that relationship is always a work in progress?" Sylvia said. Pauline nodded in agreement. "It is. So everyday, work on your relationship if you want to make it last. You should not keep something from each other, because that's where problems usually starts." Pauline said. The two of them nodded their head. "And you!" Jack said, pointing at Sam. "If you dare to hurt my daughter, you will not be able to step foot at this house again, or will I allow you to see her again. If you make her cry, you'll be dead, all right?" Jack said. Sam let out a smile. "I understand, sir." Sam said. 

 

--

 

Sylvia walked up to the rooftop, and saw Sam sitting alone at the bench. He looks like he is in his deep thoughts. "Penny for your thoughts?" she asked as she joined him. Sam looked at her, and smiled. "Nothing. I was just thinking of what your mother  said the other day." he said. Sylvia looked at him. "About making a relationship work?" she asked. "That, and about keeping things from each other." he said. Sylvia looked away from him. "Is there something that you're keeping from me?" she asked. "The Sam that you know now, is a different Sam from before. I don't even know if you would even like me if you knew how I was back then. I never told you about my past, or why I transferred here, right?" Sam said. Sylvia nodded her head. 

 

"I didn't want to ask, because I know if you will tell me why, you'll tell me at the right time. And I don't want to believe in the rumors anyway." Sylvia said. Sam gave him a confused look. "What rumors?" he asked. "They said that you transferred here because you got in trouble That you're a rebel, and that you always fight with other gangs." Sylvia said. "What if those rumors are true, will you still accept me?" Sam asked. Sylvia paused for a while and looked at him. 

 

"I will. I accept you for who you are, good or bad. I accept your past and your present." she said. Sam held her hand. As he looked at Sylvia, he was trying to find words to begin his story. He wants Sylvia to know his past, so that she would understand her more. Because his past might get in the way of their relationship, and he doesn't want to risk hurting her in the end. "Do  you remember I told you I can't sleep at night? It's because I always end up having nightmares of my past." he explained. "Did something happened to you before?" she asked. He nodded his head. 

 

Sam took a deep breath before he told him about his past.

 

--

 

[Flashback]

 

A year ago. 

 

Sam threw another punch at the guy in front of him. He held him by his collar and pushed him on the wall. He looked at with anger in his eyes. "If I see your face again in my territory, I will make sure your mother  will never recognize you again. Understood?" he hissed at him. The guy looked at him with fear in his eyes as he nodded his head. After Sam let him go, the guy ran away from him. He then turned to the other guys who he singlehandedly defeated. 

 

"You? What are still doing here? Your leader already left! Scram!" he shouted at them angrily. The guys began to ran away as well. After he was left alone, he heard someone call him. "Sam, you got yourself in trouble again?" he heard someone ask. He looked back, and saw his best friend, Brent walking up to him. "No. They got themselves in trouble." he said as he smiled triumphantly. Brent let out a sigh. No matter how many times Brent tells him not to fight, he will not listen to him. "What's the trouble this time?" Brent asked. "They ruined Ah Gong's stall, so I have to give them a lesson." he said. 

 

This time, Brent let out a smile. At least his best friend still have a sense of justice. Even if he fights, he knows there's a reason behind it. But still, he worries each time he fights alone. "Then, we should go and help rebuild Ah Gong's store, right?" he said. Sam nodded his head. "I'll tell my bodyguards to help rebuild Ah Gong's stall. But  for now, I need to rest. That fight drained  my energy."  Sam said. Brent folded his arms. "Or is it because you hurt yourself?" Brent asked. 

 

Sam smiled. Brent really knows him well. "How about you go to my house first so we can clean your wound. For sure, your father will scold you again if he found out his precious son got into a fight again." Brent said. Sam let out a bitter laugh. "Yeah, right as if he cares about me. Let's go." he said. Sam left that place, and Brent followed him shortly. 

 

--

 

"Ouch!" 

 

Brent coulnd't help but laugh at Sam. Sam was so brave facing his enemies, yet he squeal like a child when he cleans up the wound on his forehead. "Hey, be more careful! You're hurting me!" Sam scolded him. "You don't flinch in pain when you get punched, yet you scream in pain when I clean your wound, you silly boy." Brent told him. "Because you pressed too hard on my wounds. Ouch! Stop it!" Sam shouted again. Brent laughed at him again. 

 

"You're doing it on purpose." Sam told him. "I'm not. That's what you get from always fighting." Brent said. Carefully, Brent put  a band aid on his wound. "If I don't fight for the weak, then what will happen?" Sam said. "You could have just talked to them. "

"Brent, they're hooligans. Talking to them won't make sense to them."

"Then you don't have to do it alone."

 

Brent looked at him worriedly. "If only I'm stronger..." he said sadly. Sam patted his shoulder. "There are things that I can do that only you can do, remember that. Besides, with your health condition, I won't let you fight with me. After you throw your first punch, you'll start to be breathless." Sam said. "But one day, I'm going to fight with my life. When that day comes, you'll be proud of me." Brent said. Sam let out a smile as he ruffled his hair. "But for now, I will protect. Do you understand?" Sam said. Brent smiled and nodded his head. 

 

--

 

Sam and Brent were walking back home, when they saw the same hooligans Sam fought the other day. This time, they were trying to harass a girl they saw in the street. "You guys haven't learned your lesson?" Sam said in a loud voice. The leader of the gang looked at him, and smirked. "Sam Lin. The great Sam Lin. It's nice to see you again." the leader said. Sam let out a smirk. "I see you already recovered from your internal injuries, that's why you making trouble again." Sam said he walked towards them. Brent held his arm to stop him. "Sam, please no." Brent said in a low voice. Sam looked back at him,and gave him an assuring smile. "I got this, don't worry." he told him before facing his nemesis. 

 

"How about you, you still didn't have enough internal injuries that's why you're looking for me." the leader said. Sam looked at the girl his henchmen were holding, and saw in her eyes her cry for help. "Why don't you get yourself a girlfriend so that you don't harass girls you see on the street. Oh, wait, you can't get a girlfriend with that ugly face of yours." Sam said. Brent laughed at what he said. This made the leader more angry at them. "You..." the leader hissed at Sam, pointing at him. "are dead."

 

The leader threw the first punch at him, but Sam was able to get away from it. He kicked the leader on his shin, then he turned to Brent. "Run!" he shouted at him. Brent stepped back as he watch Sam fight. He was worried Sam would not be able to defeat the gang by himself. "But..." 

"Run, Brent, Run!" Sam shouted again. 

 

As Brent was about to run, one of the gang members stopped him. "Where are you going, little boy?" he said, smirking at Brent. He turned around, and another gang member surrounded him. He looked at Sam, saw him fighting off a few of of the gang members. He had no choice but to fight back those who trapped them. Brent slinged his bag to hit them. Then, he let out a punch. Another gang member punched him in his stomach, making him flinch in pain. 

 

Sam looked back, and saw Brent being hurt and trapped by  the others. "Brent!" he shouted. He made a step to help him, but someone hit him from behind., making him fall down. He decided to stand up, an fight back before he helps his best friend. Once all of his attacker are down, he ran to help Brent. He saw Brent's bloodied face, and this made him worry. He fell down on the ground, but his attackers continued to hit him. 

 

He kicked one of the guys hitting Brent, making him fall. He threw another punch at another, and another. Once they are down, he helped Brent to stand up. "Why didn't you run when I told you to run?" Sam scolded him. "I wanted to help you." Brent told him. From the corner of Brent's eye, he saw the leader stand up. He took a knife out, and ran towards Sam. "Sam look out!" Brent told him. Before Sam could react, Brent pushed him. The leader stabbed Brent at the back instead of Sam. He realized what he have done, but that didn't stop him from stabbing Brent again and again. 

 

Sam was shocked seeing Brent being stabbed in front of him. After the leader stabbed his best friend, he and his minions ran away. He held Brent's bloodied body in his arms. "Brent... why?" Sam said. His eyes began to be wet with tears. Brent let out a  weak smile at him. "I told you... one day, I will fight with you with my life..." he said before he lost consciousness. Sam slapped his cheek to wake him up. "Brent? Wake up, don't do this to me! Brent! Help!" Sam shouted at the top of his lungs. 

 

--

 

Sam managed to bring Brent to the hospital alone. As his weak body was wheeled in inside, Sam stayed by his side. When the doctors came to Brent's aid, the nurses pushed Sam away from him. He watched form afar as the doctors tried to revive Brent. His eyes are filled with tears, as he feared for Brent's life. "Brent, don't leave me." he said as he cried. He saw Brent looking at him. Then, he smiled at Sam weakly. Then, one of the nursed approached him. 

 

"Your friend wants to talk to you." she said sadly. Sam nodded his head. Then, he approached Brent. He held Brent's hand as he knelt by his bed side. "Don't blame yourself..." Brent said weakly. "It's my fault, I'm sorry. Please don't die on me." Sam told him with tears on his eyes. Brent let out a weak laugh. "Look at you, crying... you don't look cool anymore..." Brent tried to joke despite his weak stature. Sam gripped his hand as Brent closed his eyes. "I'm happy that you're alive..." Brent said in a low voice. "Then you should live too..." Sam said. Brent was silent for a while. Then, he let out a smile. "Sam..." he called. "I'm glad in this lifetime, I met you... thank you.. for being... my friend..." he said. 

 

Then, Brent made his last breath. Sam heard the loud beeping from the machine. The nurses took Sam away as the doctors tried to save him. After trying to revive him, they lost hope. Defeated, one of the doctors turned to Sam. "We tried to save him, but I'm sorry..." the doctor told him. Sam fell down on his knees as he let out a loud cry.

 

His best friend is gone forever. It was his fault. If only he was able to protect him, if only he had listened to him earlier, he would have not lost him. And he blames himself for his death. 

 

 

[End of Flashback]

 

--

 

Sam's eye were red from crying. Sylvia found herself crying upon hearing Sam's story. He had been through a lot, and he feels sorry for him. "I can't sleep because I can't forgive myself. I'm scared that the people I care the most would be gone, like Brent. That's why I tried to distance myself  from everyone. It felt like I don't even deserve to be happy because of what happened, because of what I did in the past." he said. Sylvia held his cheeks and turned his face to hers. 

 

"You did your best to save him. You were a good friend by protecting him. Please don't blame yourself anymore." she said. "I can't forgive myself." he said as he cried. She wiped the tear from his cheek. "You have to. Because you will never be truly happy if you never let go." she said. "I don't know how to move on. I don't know how to start all over again..." he told her. "Then, let me help you. I'm here for you. You can start all over again with me by your side." Sylvia said. 

 

Then, Sylvia hugged him  tight. She wished that somehow, her embrace would take away the pain in his heart. 

 

--

 

A little girl waited by the school gate. As soon as the students got out, the little girl scanned the students. Then, she found him. She immediately ran after him. "Ge!" She shouted. He did not hear her the first time. She followed him, and this time, she held his had. "Ge!"

 

Wes was surprised when a little girl held his hand. He looked at her, and smiled. "Hello, little girl. Are you lost?" he asked. The little girl shook her head. She gave him a toothy smile instead. "Ge ge, I -"

 

Then, she heard someone calling her name. "Allie!" 

 

An old woman came to the little girl. The little girl looked at her. "Where have you been? I told you to wait for me inside the car." the older woman said worriedly. Then, the little girl looked up at her. "But Ge ge..." 

 

The old woman took her, and then looked at Wes and smile. "Thank you for finding Allie. I won't know what to do if I lose her. Her mother will scold me if I did." the older woman said. Wes smiled at her. "It's OK. it's a good thing you found her." he said. He excused himself from the two, and then left. 

 

"Allie..." the older woman called her. "But that's my ge ge... mama's other son. I just want to know him and bring him to mama."  she heard Allie said as she cry. The older woman knelt down to her, and wiped her tears. "What did I say about your big brother? Big brother doesn't know about you and mama yet."

"But how will he know if nobody tell him? I want to tell him!"

"Remember what I told you? Everything has the right time. There is a right time for your brother to know about you and your mama, all right?"

 

Allie does not understand it yet,  but still, she nodded her head. The older woman smiled at her. "Let's go? mama is waiting for you." she said. Allie nodded her head.