If You Leave Him At All

Me And The Girl Next Door

Chun reached Ella's side of the bed, only to find it empty. "Ellie?" he called. There was no reply from her. He sat up from the bed. Ella's side still looked neat, as if no one slept on it. "Ella?" he called again. 

 

This time, he stood up and went to see if she's inside the bathroom. But, it was also empty. "Ella!" he shouted. He could feel his heart beating each second. Could Ella be gone? Did she leave him for good. 

 

As instinct tell him. he opened her closet. His face became pale when he saw her clothes were gone. He immediately rushed down to see if she's still around. "Ella! Please don't do this to me! Please come out! Please...." he cried. He looked all over the house, but Ella was nowhere to be found. 

 

"She's gone..." he whispered. "I can't believe she's gone..." 

 

He slumped on the floor of his empty house. Tears kept falling from his eyes. He still could not understand why Ella chose to live him, but he knew he had to find her. "Ella, I'll find you. I swear, I will find you..." 

 

 

-

 

It was morning after Wes lay beside Tia. She was sleeping peacefully in his arms. He smiled as he brushed the hair on her face and stared at her. He still can't believe that he's finally with the girl he love. At lot of things has happened the night before, but in the end, it lead him to the girl he loves. Even after finding out the truth about Tia, he doesn't care about it. All he knows is that he wants to be in her life when she starts anew. 

 

He saw Tia slowly open her eyes. As she looked up at him, she smiled. "Good morning." he said with a smile. Tia smiled back at her. "Good morning." he greeted her. "Good morning." she replied. He leaned to her, and gave her a kiss in the forehead. "This is a good way to wake up. Seeing the girl I love first thing in the morning." Wes said. Tia nodded her head. "I feel the same way." she said. 

 

Tia sat up, and looked at the clock. "Wes, aren't you going to be late for school?" she asked. Wes looked at the clock as well, and realized that he will be late. "Oh, I forgot..." he said. He got out of the bed, and started to put on his clothes. 

 

"You don't have work today, right?" Wes asked. "I'm not even sure if I still have work." Tia said. "Then, wait for me. I'll bring us dinner tonight, all right?" Wes said. Tia simply nodded her head. 

 

Wes rushed out of Tia's house. As he got out of the door, he saw Sylvia standing outside his house. "Fei?" he called as he walked towards her. Sylvia looked back, and saw Wes getting out of Tia's house. "Zheng? I've been knocking at your house since last night!" she said in an angry tone. Wes could see her looking at him angrily. "I'm sorry. I stayed at Tia's house..."

"Do you know what kind of trouble you're going in to?" 

"I know what I'm doing."

"And yet you chose to stay with her?" 

 

It was the first time he had seen Sylvia this mad at him. And he can't believe she's mad because of Tia. "What's wrong?" he asked in an annoyed tone. "Mom and I heard everything from last night, Zheng. We heard Tia arguing with her boyfriend, and she was worried about you. We were worried about you. Mom told me to check on you last night. I did, Zheng, I did. You weren't answering our radio, even your phone. Did you know I didn't sleep because I was worried about you? Because I kept on looking for you? Because I was hoping you'll finally answer my call? I wanted to find you before mom tells everything to Aunt Melody!" she told him. 

 

Wes let out a sigh. "Look, this is not a good time for argument. We're both late, all right? Why don't you go to school first, and then we'll talk." Wes told her. Sylvia looked back, and saw Tia outside her house, wearing just a robe. Then, she looked at Wes. He was still wearing his clothes from yesterday, not to mention, there was a kiss mark on his neck. 

 

Then, she figured it out, and it made her upset. "Something happened, huh?" Sylvia told him. "Sylvia..."

"So something happened. That's why you weren't answering my call. Something finally happened."

"Sylvia. Just stop, all right?"

 

Sylvia let out a bitter laugh. "All my worry about you is for nothing. Of course you're with Tia the whole night. While I was a fool who stayed here outside you house, braving the cold, hoping you would finally appear. Great, just great! Congratulations on your life." she said bitterly at him. 

 

Before Wes could react, Sylvia turned her back at him, and walked away. "Fei Fei!" Wes called. He felt guilty for making her mad. He have to make sure to find a way to explain things to her. 

 

Tia walked up to Wes after Sylvia confronted him. "Is everything OK? Is Sylvia mad at me?" she asked. Wes tried to let out a smile. "Don't think about it. I'll deal with her, all right?" he said. Then, he hugged her, and kissed her forehead. 

 

--

 

"Whoa, this is the first time Wes is absent... is something wrong?" Wayne asked Sylvia. Sylvia just remained silent. Both Wayne and Diana looked at each other, confused as to what was happening. "Hey, Sylvia, is Wes sick or something?" Diana asked. "If he is, then maybe I can help him apply for a leave." Wayne suggested. "Don't bother. He's not even sick. He just want to spend the whole day with that girl." Sylvia said angrily. 

 

Wayne and Diana looked at each other again. They both don't know what's happening to these two best friends. Just then, Wayne's phone rang. He saw that it was Wes calling. He excused himself from the two, and then answered the call far from Sylvia. 

 

"Hey, Wes. Where are you?" Wayne said the moment he answered the call. "I'm sorry, Wayne. I don't think I can make it to school today. Can you help me file a leave?"

"Sure, I will. But, why didn't you ask Sylvia to file a leave for you?"

 

Wayne just heard Wes let out a sigh at the other line. "It's a long story..." Wes said. "Don't tell me something happened? Did you two fight?"

"It's just a misunderstanding. Don't worry."

"But you two never fought! What's going on."

 

Wes chose not to answer his question. "How is she?" Wes asked him instead. "She seems mad. But she also looks sad. She doesn't even want to talk about you."

"Will you help look after her for me? Can you tell Sam to take her home today, and make sure she's home before her curfew?"

"All right, I will. But you owe me a long explanation, all right?" 

"I will. Thank you, Wayne."

 

Wayne ended the call, and then looked at Sylvia. He let out a sigh. He doesn't know what's going on between Sylvia and Wes, but he sure hope the two will make up soon. 

 

--

 

Sam found Sylvia at the rooftop that afternoon. He was worried about her, because she was silent the whole day. Wayne told him that Wes asked him to take her home after school, and he also wondered why Wes isn't at school. 

 

He walked towards her, and then sat beside her. "Are you all right?"  he asked her. Sylva nodded her head. "I don't think so. You're not your usual self. Can you tell me why you're upset? Was it because of Wes?" he asked. Sylvia let out a sigh. "I'm upset with him because I'm worried about him. We can't find him yesterday. I waited the whole night for him to go home, only to find out he slept at someone else's house." Sylvia said. "Well, you have the right to be upset because you care about him. But now that you see he's doing OK, shouldn't you be happy for him?" Sam said. Sylvia nodded her head. "Then, you should make up with Wes. I heard from Wayne that the two of you never fought. It would be a pity if you throw away your years of friendship because of a simple misunderstanding." he said. 

 

Sylvia looked at him, and smiled. "I will. I guess it was my fault because I overreacted." she said. Sam put his arm around her, and let her lean on his shoulder. "You didn't overreact. You're worried. It just so happen that you are so worried about him, that you got mad instead." Sam said. "Do you think he will understand?" Sylvia asked. "I think your big brother is a very understanding person. And he should be glad you care more about him, right?" he said. 

 

Sam kissed her on her forehead. "Don't be sad anymore. Everything will into it's right place eventually." he said. Sylvia looked up at him and smiled. "Thank you, Sam. Thank you for finding me and for talking to me. Somehow it felt a little bit better." she said. Sam leaned on her forehead and planted a kiss on her lips. Then, he smiled at her. "Anything to make my sweet little girlfriend happy."

 

--

 

Wes returned back from buying their dinner when he saw Sylvia walking home. He knew Sylvia is still upset about him and what happened, but then, he want to take a chance to talk to her. 

 

"Fei Fei..."

 

Sylvia looked back, and saw Wes walking up to her. She could see the worry look in his face. "Zheng?" 

"I'm sorry, Fei Fei."

Sylvia looked away from him. "I know I made you worry about last night. But we sorted it out, all right? He's just an ex-boyfriend obsessed with Tia." he said. This time, Sylvia turned to face him. "I'm upset because I'm worried. I'm worried because I care about you. I don't want you to be hurt again. Remember when we first met? You were too broken because your mom left you and your dad. Since then, I promised myself I'll look after you, that I'll make sure you won't get hurt again. I won't care if I'll be the one in pain, I just wanted to protect you. I promised to make you happy all the time, because I always like seeing you smile. But then, Tia came..."

 

Sylvia let out a sigh. "I thought she could make you happy. After all, you always smile when she's around. But when I saw the kind of relationship you have with her, I was worried Zheng. I was really worried. Because I know she's bound to break your heart, and I don't want that to happen to you. And last night, it gave me the scare of my life. You know what I was thinking when I heard her boyfriend? I was thinking of you, and how devastated you will be when you found out."

 

By the time she finished talking, there were tears in her eyes. Wes felt his heart in  pain seeing her in tears. Then, Wes pulled her into a hug. "I'm sorry..." he whispered to her. "I'm sorry for the worry I gave you. I'm sorry if I made you upset. But I'm happy that you truly care about me."

 

He hugged her even tighter this time. "But I assure you, whatever happens to me in the end, I can only blame myself in the end. I've made my decision to be with Tia. If I get broken hearted in the end, or finally find my happy ending, only God knows. But I hope, you will always support me, no matter what." he said. He broke their hug, and then faced her. "You will support me, right?" he asked. Sylvia faintly smiled, and nodded her head. "And I promise you, if you need a friend. I'll always be here." she said. Wes smiled at her. Then, he wiped the tear from her face. "Stop crying. You don't look cute when you're crying. Cats don't even cry." he joked. That was the time Sylvia was able to laugh. 

 

--

 

"If you are ready, then we can sign the contract. You can fly here in Milan right away."

 

Tia listened on the phone as she looked at Wes, who was sleeping peacefully on her bed. She have thought about it for a while, and she had finally made a decision. "When can I sign the contract?" she asked. "You can come to the office to sign it. We're glad you made the decision to join our agency. I assure you, you'll definitely make it big here."

 

Tia ended the call. She's glad that she found another job. After all, Jacob has terminated some of her work for her after he dumped her. Money is a little tight lately, and taking the modelling job in Milan is her last option.  But then, she thought about Wes. She knew in her heart she can't bear to leave him, but she have to. He's too young, and she knew if she tied him down to her life, she'll just ruin his life eventually. She doesn't want anyone to blame her if his life turns upside down because of her.

 

She took her phone out again, and dialled a number. After a few rings, someone answered the call. "Hello? It's me. I need to talk to you about Wes."

 

--

 

Sylvia sat in her room as she looked at the paper butterfly sadly. "How can I wish for his happiness, when I know she's going to leave you?" she thought. 

 

She met up with Tia after she called her. The two of them met at the park, and they talked about the person they care about the most - Wes. 

 

[Flashback]

 

Sylvia waited for Tia at the park. A few seconds later, she appeared. "Sylvia..." Tia called her. "I'm glad you asked me to meet you. There are things I need to talk to you about Wes." she said. Tia nodded her head. "Me too." 

 

Sylvia walked up to her. "Please don't break his heart. Please don't hurt him. You don't know what he had been through. If you're just going to toy with his feelings, then just stop." she told her. Tia lowered her head. "I know there is another guy other than him. But, if you choose Wes, then I hope it will just be him in your life." Sylvia added,

 

"I can't be with Wes for long." Tia told her as she looked away from her. Sylvia was surprised at what she said. "What do you mean you can't be with him?" Sylvia demanded. She was upset with her again. "I need to leave Taipei for work. I don't know how long I'll be out of the country. That's why I asked to meet you here. I... I don't want to leave Wes, but I have to. This has been always my dream."

"And your dream is bigger than your love for Wes, right?"

 

Tia nodded her head. With that, Sylvia slapped Tia on her cheek. "How could you? How could you just lead on my brother like that? Tia, Zheng loves you!" Sylvia shouted angrily at her. She could feel the warm tears fall on her cheeks. Tia held her aching cheek. She took a deep breath and turned to face Sylvia bravely.

 

"Wes is still young. He can find another girl to love. As for me, I feel like my time is running out. If I don't chase my dreams now, then that's the end of it. That's why I asked you to meet me here. Because no one else can take good care of Wes than you." Tia said. Sylvia looked at her with bitterness in her eyes. "To tell me to take care of her when you're gone? You don't have to tell me that. If you leave, I will still look after him. I just hope you won't return one day to beg him to take you back. Because I know someday, he'll find another girl to love. And he will love her the way you wanted to be love. But this time, he will be much happier than when he is with you. By that time, you'll regret your decision to leave him."

 

[End Of Flashback]

 

"Zheng..." she whispered on the paper butterfly. "I know someday you'll find your happiness. But until that day comes, I'll keep this paper butterfly for you..."

 

--

 

Wes came home from school that day. As he headed to Tia's house, he noticed a taxi outside. Then, Tia came out with several luggages. He was confused. 

 

"Tia?" he called. Tia looked back at him "He's here..." she thought. She thought she could leave for Italy without seeing Wes for the last time. She knew it would be hard for her to explain to him, and much harder for her to leave. 

 

"Tia, what's going on?" Wes asked in a confused tone. She tried to smile at him. "I found a new job." she said. She tried to sound happy in front of him. "So, you're going on a photo shoot somewhere?" Wes asked. Tia nodded her head as she put in her bags inside the taxi. "Where?" Wes pressed her. "Milan." Tia said. 

 

Wes was surprised. Tia had not told him about her leaving the country. "But that's too far! How long will you stay there?" he asked. "I don't know. 2 months? 3 months? A year? Maybe forever. You see the deal is hard to resist. Who knows, I can be one of the supermodels this time."Tia said. "But what about us?"

 

Tia paused for a while. She looked back and saw Wes looking at her with hurt in his eyes. "I thought you like my big plan..."

"But you're too young for me. We both need to live, Wes. Love isn't enough for us to survive. Besides, this is my dream. I want to chase my dream."

"You're just going to leave me just like that?"

"I have to. And I don't believe in long distance relationships either."

 

Wes lowered his head. She's trying to be tough in front of him, but deep inside, she's hurt as well. She lift up his chin, and smiled at him. "Look, there's a good life ahead of you. I'm definitely not the last girl you'll meet and you'll love. I don't want you to waste you youth for me. I know you love me, Wes. I do too. That's why I'm doing this. Besides, we had fun together, right? I made a man out of you." she said. 

 

Tia gave him a hug. "I'll always remember you, Wes. Thank you for loving me. Maybe, one day, if we're fated together, we'll see each other again." she said. Then, she reached to him, and gave him a long kiss on the lips for the last time. 

 

Wes could only watch as she got inside the taxi. What he didn't know is that the moment got inside the cab, Tia was crying. "To the airport please." Tia said as she tried to composer herself. As he watched the taxi leave, tears fell from his eyes. Wes wanted to follow Tia, but something stopped him. Someone held his hand. 

 

"Zheng..."

 

He looked back and saw Sylvia crying. He let out a laugh as he wiped his tears. "Why are you crying, silly girl?" he asked as he ruffled her hair. Sylvia just stood there, looking at her. Then, she hugged him tight. "Because I can feel your pain. Because I will cry when I see you cry. Because when you're hurt, I'm hurt too." 

 

He smiled to himself as he hugged her tight. Even if he lost Tia, he knew he'll always have Sylvia. 

 

But why does his heart beats fast, now that Sylvia is in his arms?