Prompt 60

Baeksoo Collection
Please log in to read the full chapter

Prompt: for generations, baekhyun has always loved kyungsoo

Word Count: 6332

 

Kyungsoo grew up without knowing his parents. His grandfather told him he was only three when his parents died coming home from their ski trip. It was a devastating time and a tragedy. With his grandparents on his mother’s side dead, it was without a word that he’s taken up to his father’s side of the family.

 

There was never a problem growing up at their place. Kyungsoo adores his grandparents very much. They were the ones who taught him his Math and his English. His grandfather taught him all about the wonders of gardening and his grandmother all about cooking. He grew up nurtured and familiar with house duties. His grandparents were gentle people and yet, he fears them as his guardians like any other child should. He grew up proper, respectful and most of all, full of imagination.

 

Before going to bed, it has been a norm for his grandfather to tell bedtime stories that he grew fascination of. It was always the same characters but with different plots and settings.

 

His grandfather would tell the story of a man named, Dongwoo, which is his grandfather and a man named, Baekhyun. He would tell him all about their adventures together and all of their mishaps and run-ins with cranky people in his grandfather’s generation. It would always bring laughter from young Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo grew fond of these stories that he believed Baekhyun exists.

 

“So where is he now, grandpa?”

 

His grandfather purses his lips and smiles. “Somewhere I don’t know.”

 

“Is he even still alive?”

 

“Yes, my boy.” His grandfather beams. “That I’m very sure of.”

 

When Kyungsoo was 13, his grandmother passed. And now that he’s 17, it appeared that his grandfather’s time has come to follow his wife. Kyungsoo felt devastated then because he didn’t expected what happened. His grandfather collapsed one day on the ground during his morning walk and was immediately brought to the hospital.

 

The moment Kyungsoo arrived, the doctor and nurses were already crowding around him trying to revive him. Kyungsoo, in tears, could only watch from behind.

 

And in the middle of it all, his grandfather turns his eyes to meet his and with a smile he looks up at the ceiling.

 

“Baekhyun.”

 

And then he was gone.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Kyungsoo slowly packed his bags. After his grandfather’s funeral, he knows he’s going to end up in some orphanage where he’s going to be either adopted by another family or to grow there and move out once he’s reached adulthood. To his surprise, their family lawyer came with a will written by his grandfather years ago – a hidden letter that he kept if he died.

 

He expected all of the belongings and property will be under his name. But no, it was given all to a man named, Byun Baekhyun. Kyungsoo’s eyes went wide in disbelief.

 

“The good news in this is that instead of moving to Northern Cypher’s Orphanage, you’ll be actually living with Byun Baekhyun. It is said in your grandfather’s will that you will be under his care until you’ve grown old.” Mr. Kim Suho smiles at him. “He’ll be now your legal guardian. He will be arriving to pick you up tomorrow.”

 

There isn’t supposed to be a problem with that besides, Byun Baekhyun is probably old, same age as grandfather. He’s very good at socializing with the elderly. It will be all right.

 

The next morning however, instead of an old man, a man in his mid-twenties came with a bright smile showing all white teeth. He’s wearing a sweater vest, a gray one and a pink undershirt underneath. Slowly, he approaches Kyungsoo with eyes focused on him. Then he reaches his hand out for a shake.

 

“Hi, I’m Byun Baekhyun.”

 

 

 

 

 

Baekhyun is a chatty person. He never stopped talking even when Mr. Kim Suho left. His mini-cooper car is small but surprisingly comfortable. His bags were behind and he’s sitting at the passenger seat, watching Baekhyun drive with a bright grin. He’s fidgety and it’s not good. Kyungsoo is still too young to die in a car accident.

 

“I’m sorry.” Baekhyun sheepishly grins. “It’s just… I can’t believe that you’re actually here.” He momentarily looks at Kyungsoo before going back on the road. “Your grandfather always talked about you. And I was just so excited to finally meet you in person.”

 

Kyungsoo didn’t reply and just smiles.

 

It puzzles Kyungsoo why his grandfather gave all of his properties to this Baekhyun person when the guy is already as rich, perhaps thrice as their family were. The gates intimidated him a lot. They were vines wrapped around steel bars and a wooden shed near it. After honking twice, three guards came and opened the gate. Kyungsoo suddenly feels small.

 

Despite the creepy gates, the house, or rather, the mansion that Baekhyun is staying at is so big and wide. Kyungsoo has to momentarily stop to look up in awe.

 

“Come on.” Baekhyun smiles at him and gestures towards the open doors right after three maid enters carrying his bags. “Let’s go.”

 

After a quick introduction between the staffs in the house, Baekhyun leads him to his room. It was big, almost as big as their kitchen and dining room combined. Kyungsoo slowly took steps and looks around with lips parted slightly until he managed to bump on Baekhyun’s back. The man was holding a frame in which he quickly hides behind his back when he turned around to face him. “So I hope you like this room. It was your grandfather’s when he was young.”

 

Young and curious, Kyungsoo couldn’t help but ask. “What was your relationship with my grandfather?”

 

Baekhyun purses his lips and then smiles. “Ah, my father and he were close friends. That makes me a close family friend.”

 

Ah, so that answers everything. And here he thought this Baekhyun person his grandfather kept on talking about is nothing but a lie. After all, his grandmother did doubt his existence before. And soon, Kyungsoo did too. But now that he’s standing in front of the Baekhyun’s offspring, he thinks that yes, maybe Baekhyun is real too.

 

Kyungsoo shifts his attention to the bags near the closet. “Oh, do you want me to help you with that?” Baekhyun asked.

 

“No, need.” He said. “Thank you.”

 

“Okay.” Baekhyun slowly nods. “If there’s anything you need, please tell one of the maids. They will you call you when it’s time for lunch or dinner. Feel free to roam the house if you want.” Kyungsoo nods. “Good. Then I’ll see you then.” He chuckles softly and left the room.

 

Kyungsoo blinks twice. Growing up being an observant person, he noticed the picture frame Baekhyun was holding.

 

What was that?

 

 

 

 

 

Kyungsoo woke up in the middle of the night feeling parched. Slowly he pads his way to the kitchen only to stop when he hears soft sobs echoes through the other hall opposite on where his room is located. He furrowed his brows and continues on his way to get a glass of water.

 

His grandfather must be so close to this family that even Baekhyun is grieving. Of course he missed his grandfather, too. But the tears were already spent and he doesn’t want to be sad anymore because he knows his grandfather wouldn’t like that.

 

Before leaving, he gave one last look to the dark hallway before going back to his.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Kyungsoo continues to go to school and all of his activities like he used to. The only change in his life is the presence of Byun Baekhyun.

 

Byun Baekhyun is a man filled with mystery.

 

His big manor always changes staffs. Every day, the people he befriended would be gone and instead, he sees new employees coming in to tend the place. His job, Kyungsoo doesn’t know. His friend, Lay, told him one time to ask him about it but when Kyungsoo did, Baekhyun simply smiled and diverted the conversation elsewhere. Baekhyun is always gone and he never stayed for a long time in the house. He said he’s busy and that he’s sorry but Kyungsoo think it’s better that way, though. Being with Baekhyun is awkward. He doesn’t like that.

 

In his short stay, he already explored the whole manor except one room.

 

Baekhyun’s room is always locked. Even the maids can’t get in and clean his room. Always before leaving, Baekhyun instructs them not to come in or they will face consequences. Not wanting to upset their employer (especially the fact that the pay is good) they follow. And because Kyungsoo was thought how to follow the rules, he did so too.

 

But then one day, on his way at the living room, he passed by Baekhyun’s room and to his surprise, it was open. He gulps hard and looks around. From the moment he sees the door, there’s two things that runs in his mind.

 

One: he’s going in to satisfy is curiosity or two: close the door and leave.

 

He did the first.

 

Kyungsoo slowly opens the door, creaking as it does and takes a step inside. It smells of dust and old sheets but the room is very beautiful, just like the living room was. Kyungsoo looks at the blinds covering the windows making the room dark and the velvet carpet underneath the bed. The floorboards are wooden. It looks old but it does not creak when he steps on it.

 

Baekhyun’s bed is neat and the sheets are folded up. There are three wardrobes pressed on the wall near the windows. Kyungsoo makes his way to one of them and pulls them open. Instead of clothes, there are big photo albums all tucked in a box. Kyungsoo purses his lip and reaches out to take one.

 

“What are you doing here?”

 

Kyungsoo whips his head fast. His heart is thundering nervously in fear and his eyes wide as if he’s seen a ghost. On the door way, Baekhyun is standing there absolutely livid. “Kyungsoo, what are you doing here?”

 

Kyungsoo takes a step away from the wardrobe. “I-I was just –“

 

“I let you do all the things you want in this house and yet you still defy the only rule I gave you.” Baekhyun scowls. His head snaps at the old frame located at the end table near his bed. Baekhyun’s eyes went wide before approaching him fast. “What did you see?”

 

Kyungsoo looks down. “N-Nothing.” He bows his head formally and whimpers. “I’m sorry.”

 

It took a moment before Baekhyun finally replies.

 

“Go back to your room, Kyungsoo.” When Kyungsoo doesn’t move, he said. “Now.”

 

Kyungsoo bows his head in apology again before running out of the room.

 

 

 

 

 

As Kyungsoo ages, his curiosity heightens.

 

What was in that room and why does Baekhyun so overprotective of it? Those kind of questions kept running in his mind in circles.

 

He’s graduating college this year. Lay, his friend from high school, decided to go to the same college as he is and now, they’re graduating together. They’re sitting together on the auditorium as some alumni from the college delivered a speech. Lay nudges his shoulder.

 

“Kris has been sending me messages.” He whispers. “Apparently, he thinks your uncle’s hot.” They both look back and sees Baekhyun sitting on the parents’ side of the seat at the back together with the others. Kris, Lay’s brother, is sitting next to Baekhyun. Baekhyun spots him looking so with a cheerful smile, he waves. Kyungsoo looks ahead and frowns.

 

“Yeah well, tell your brother to stay away from uncle or I’ll cut his balls off.”

 

“But I’ve got to admit, your uncle’s hot.” Lay whispers. “How old is he again?”

 

“31.”

 

“Damn.” Lay forces Kyungsoo to look back. He sees Kris talking to Baekhyun again with that charming smile on but Baekhyun doesn’t give off a vibe that he’s reciprocating the advances the older Wu is giving. “He doesn’t look like 31.”

 

It’s true. Kris is 35 and he looks young for his age, but whenever he smiles wrinkles would pop out showing how old he really is. Baekhyun, however, looks so young that Kyungsoo’s willing to bet that even if he reached 40, the wrinkles in his face would still be non-existent. He wonders if Baekhyun’s into plastic surgery. Doesn’t look like it, though.

 

Before their eyes could meet again, Kyungsoo looks ahead again and stares at the speaker with a bored look. Lay leans to his side and whispers. “So is he dating anyone?”

 

“I don’t know.” Kyungsoo shrugs. “I never cared about his dating life.”

 

“Oh, so he’s single.” Lay types on his phone. He’s texting his brother. It wasn’t later before another message pops up. “Kris is so into your uncle right now. He keeps on texting me questions.”

 

“Tell him he’s more into foreign guys.”

 

Lay hums. “He said he’s Chinese.”

 

“Western kind of foreign.” Kyungsoo is irritated now.

 

“He said he just got his citizenship from Canada approved last month.” Lay reads his brother’s message. “And oh, he said he wants to bang your uncle. He’s asking if it’s okay with you.” Kyungsoo raised his brow and looks back. Baekhyun is still talking to Kris with a polite demeanor completely contrasting the guy’s flirty one.

 

“Give me the phone.” Kyungsoo taps his fingers and then clicks send.

 

He said his uncle likes neat guys. Lay looks at the message and coughs to hide his laugh. “You do know that Kris is gonna get an appointment for circumcision, right?” 

 

Kyungsoo smirks.

 

 

 

 

 

After they threw their caps and shouts how happy they are that finally they graduated, Baekhyun immediately ran to him and gives him a tight hug. Kyungsoo’s eyes went wide because he’s not used to Baekhyun giving him hugs (even though Baekhyun likes hugging him at random times while growing up.)

 

“I am so proud of you.” Baekhyun pulls away. There’s tears pooling at the edge of his eyes. “Dongwoo would have been so proud to see his grandson graduating.” He sniffles and raises his phone. “Go over there so I can take a picture of you.”

 

“I don’t think –“

 

“Aw, he’s just shy.” Lay loops his hand over his shoulder and smiles. “Okay, cheese!” Baekhyun snaps a photo. “Don’t be so tense, man. We’re done with college! You should be alive!”

 

A few more photos were snapped, almost all of them were wacky and filled with silly positions (because duh Lay. Kris isn’t that faring either.) After a few more shots, Kris takes Baekhyun’s phone. “How about I get a picture of you two?”

 

Baekhyun looks hesitant for a moment as if he’s nervous. His cheeks were gaining color and Kyungsoo tries to hide the fact that he noticed that so he pretends to look at Lay wrapping his boyfriend for three years, Luhan, a hug. It took a moment before Baekhyun is nodding with a smile. “That would be great.”

 

He approaches Kyungsoo and stands next to him with a proper distance away. Kris looks at them and gestures for him to move closer. Kyungsoo sighs and wraps his arm around the older man’s waist and pulls him close. He feels Baekhyun stiffens in surprise. Kyungsoo clears his throat suddenly feeling nervous.

 

“Thank you.” He whispers. “For everything.”

 

Kris holds up three fingers, counting down until finally snapping a photo.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“They’re nice people.” Baekhyun said after getting inside the car. Kyungsoo wordlessly removes his graduation gown and cap and throws them on the back seat of the car before taking a seat on the passenger side of the car. “So where do you want to go eat? My treat.”

 

Kyungsoo chuckles. “It’s always your treat.”

 

“I just really want to say that once. Don’t ruin it.”

 

It was silent in the car while Baekhyun drives towards the fast food restaurant that Kyungsoo is currently craving. Kyungsoo looks down on his phone and reads the messages his college friends keep on sending on their group at messenger. H

Please log in to read the full chapter