Prompt 75 - a

Baeksoo Collection
Please log in to read the full chapter

Prompt: soulmates!baeksoo

Word Count: 1470

 

“Hey, did you check out the midnight channel last night?”

 

Kyungsoo tuned out the conversation, shifting his head to the direction of the window. He didn’t get much sleep lately because his brother made him stay up late at night because of this stupid midnight channel. They got an earful from their mom because of it. Kyungsoo groans.

 

“Yeah, I did. Just static, though.”

 

“Really? Me, too.”

 

There’s this internet site that’s called midnight channel – Kyungsoo’s confused as to why it’s called channel if it’s not even associated to television – and it lets you talk to your supposed soulmate. Rumors described it like a chat room, all black and a white blank space where you type your message, and it connects you to your soulmate wherever he or she is in this world.

 

There’s instructions to use it, too. On daytime, it’s a page that isn’t registered on web but at exactly midnight, it appears like an old chatroom back when things aren’t as digitally hi-tech as now. Like Omegle with an old Yahoo messenger style. You talk to your soulmate there for an hour – the end time being when the clock strikes 1:00 am.

 

Well, that’s just it, though. Rumors. He’s not gonna lie, he did try it once. Nothing but static. It was then that Kyungsoo realized that ah, it’s nothing but a fraud.

 

“Hey, hey, hey, did you hear?” Kyungsoo hears Jongdae’s overexcited voice cutting in his thoughts. “Jungkook talked to someone on the midnight channel last night.”

 

“You kidding, right?”

 

“No, I’m dead serious, man. And get this,” Jongdae wiggles his brows. “It’s a guy. Kid’s all convinced he’s into now.”

 

There’s a loud guffaw – Chanyeol’s. “Thought he was crushing on Jieun?”

 

“Not anymore, he’s not.”

 

Kyungsoo groans and gets up, eager to go to the nurse’s office to get some shut eye. It’s just a trend nowadays. Sooner or later this whole thing with the midnight channel will be gone and the hype all about it would be nothing but a distant memory.

 

 

 

 

 

“Hey, hyung. Hyung-ah.” Kyungsoo swats Sehun’s finger that’s on his cheek. “Hyung, come on.” Sehun squished his cheeks together making his eyes snap open wide. “Let’s check out the midnight channel together, hyung.”

 

Kyungsoo makes a face. “Why can’t you do it by yourself? I’ve got classes tomorrow and the last thing I wanna do is get scolded for sleeping in.”

 

“I’m scared.”

 

Kyungsoo makes a noise of protest and was about to call him a big baby, but then he remembers the times when he would snuck in Sehun’s room back when they were kids after watching a horror movie. He momentarily contemplated on what he wants to do then sighs. “Fine. Get off me.”

 

They decided to do it in his room.

 

Kyungsoo feels like a thousand suns decided to kill his eyes when he opened his laptop. And before he could even adjust the brightness, his 16 year old brother decided to park his on his lap and take control. Kyungsoo could only sigh and lets him do what he wants.

 

It’s easy: you click the browser and wait until google pops out (Kyungsoo’s old laptop got this tendency to up when you’re too excited to click on things.) But instead of searching it at the engine, you go type the whole thing at the search bar: midnight channel, you type. But you should press enter when it’s exactly 12:00.

 

It’s 2 minutes before 12 when Sehun asks him. “Will I meet my soulmate tonight, hyung?”

 

Truthfully, Kyungsoo doesn’t believe in soulmates. When he was young, his mother told him that her soulmate is his father but that doesn’t explain why she suddenly upped and left with an even younger man when Kyungsoo was six. His father remarried and got married to another woman and together they had Sehun. But eight years down the road, they got divorced.

 

Soulmates – the idea of it is nothing but a myth.

 

“Maybe.” Kyungsoo answers instead. “That person is somewhere out there, Sehun

Please log in to read the full chapter