Prompt 86 - c

Baeksoo Collection
Please log in to read the full chapter

prompt: kyungsoo entered the world of a book

word count: 6,169

 

Jongin is a tough cookie to crack. He originally planned on heading alone but his trusted butler does not want to leave his side. He at least wanted someone there to keep an eye on his father and keep him updated of what’s happening but he does understand how the younger feels. In the end, he lets him be and watches as the male arranges Kyungsoo’s clothes, ready for their three-day stay at the Eastern Border. With how many good luck charms Jongin has packed, it just dawned on him how this trip is going to be a life or death situation too.

 

His father is hesitant on permitting him to leave but with Kyungsoo knowing how to play his cards right, the older male conceded to his son’s request. And with that, they bid him farewell before going on their way.

 

What the book has described the situation is an understatement after seeing the whole situation of the Eastern country. It was like the slums with merchants selling overpriced goods. There were beggars and sick people scattered at the streets and the surroundings are filthy. Jongin must have noticed his expression because he’s giving his knee a gentle nudge. “My lord,  I know this is the first time we have passed through this, but please do understand that the Royal Empire is doing everything they can to get this place improved.”

 

“Solidus is the nearest one on this border, why don’t I see any improvements, though?” He couldn’t help but wonder. “Is father also seeing the condition of the Eastern Market?”

 

Jongin sighs. “Ever since the Count had been sick, things were either overlooked or ignored. The Count may be the head of one of the Great Houses of the Royal Empire but here in the East, they are being ruled by Ducal Houses – an entirely different monarch – so if we were to make donations, it would go through them and they distribute it to the townspeople.”

 

Kyungsoo could not help but groan internally. It’s clearly obvious that there’s foul play and fraud going on the East. His father surely have not neglected to take care of the people near Solidus’ border; but the Duke of the East might be doing something like those corrupt politicians back at his own world which explains why there are still no improvement. He huffs. Corruption definitely comes from the rich and those who are seated at the top of the pyramid. If ever Kyungsoo tries to bring them down, the Solidus House alone won’t be enough. He’ll need someone influential and powerful –

 

“But do not fret, my lord!” Jongin beams. “Once you’re married to the Crown Prince, you’ll be deemed royalty! So your position would be higher than the Great Houses as you’re already royalty himself. So with Prince Baekhyun’s influence, there might be a chance we can scare the Duke away.”

 

Right, the Prince.

 

Kyungsoo smiles uneasily as Jongin continues to fantasize what would it be like to live and to serve the future Royal Consort and how the other servants and maids are jealous of him. He voiced out his want to break the engagement but it’s yet to be formally announced and done so technically, they are still engaged. Nevertheless, Kyungsoo plans on getting that arranged as soon as he fixes family ties. With Seungsoo back, not only will he preventing the death of the Solidus Count but also get his older brother have the title back as heir. According to the book, Seungsoo’s skill in warfare and combat might be average, but his wits and knowledge matches that of a scholar. If they have one like that during the Royal Assembly, surely there would be huge improvements at the on-going war.

 

Plus, it would get this uneasy feeling at Chanyeol out of his back.

 

“Let’s stay in the nearby inn at the next village.” Jongin says, snapping him out of his thoughts. Kyungsoo agrees, as he looks up, noticing the sun setting.

 

--

 

“Are you sure we’re talking about the same Kyungsoo?”

 

“Are you implying that I am lying?”

 

Baekhyun hates the way Seungsoo is looking at him right now. Normally, he can stand the older male despite looking a lot like Kyungsoo – but with stubble and looking all mature and manly – but the way he’s staring is in the middle of disbelief and crazy. He just finished narrating what happened back at the Assembly and their encounter at Caelum’s Ball. At the part where Baekhyun told him about his desire to break the engagement, that’s when Seungsoo looked at him skeptical.

 

“So you’re saying, that my dumb, dim-witted and narcissist brother is actively participating in the Assembly and is interested in ditching you on your one-sided engagement.” Seungsoo pauses for a moment then looks back down on the documents he’s reading earlier. “Well, it’s about time. I really have no idea what he sees in you.”

 

“You do know that you are talking to the Crown Prince, Sir Seungsoo.”

 

“Shall I add your highness on my words earlier?”

 

Baekhyun runs a hand down his face. The older male rolls his eyes and stands up, startling Baekhyun on where he is seated. “If you are worried about the engagement, don’t be.” He opens his mouth to cut in protest but Seungsoo continues. “You know how his majesty, the King, is the first one to be against it. He wanted Kyungsoo to be his son-in-law. After all, he has the Solidus blood flowing on him. The dominant genes were passed down to him.”

 

Hearing that made Baekhyun frown in confusion. “So you mean…?”

 

“That if my young brother stopped being a -obsessed , he would be an indispensable member of the Royal family.” Seungsoo answered in that mono-tone voice of his.

 

The Great Houses or Royal Houses aren’t just hand-picked by the King. Unbeknownst to people, they are also chosen by the great Magi and also the goddesses. They possess great knowledge, superb strength and also cunning wits. So when great warriors offered themselves as tribute during the first barbaric war, they were all pooled down to those who have the ability and potential to bear these gifts. As such, these gifts are passed down from generations to generations. Mostly are acquired by first-borns as eldest children possess the dominant genes of their fathers. However, something strange happened in House Solidus. Instead of a son, a baby girl was born as the eldest and she acquired these gifts. Pressured and does not want to humiliate their family name, the Count took a concubine which bore him a son, announcing him as the rightful heir.

 

It is clear the son does not have the talent; however, the current Count then had been too prideful and spoiled the boy with everything. The mistress, threatened as the girl has the gifts, persuades the Count to banish the daughter and put her in exile. She had suffered greatly, but thanks to the ancestors of Solidus guiding her, she grew up to become a marvellous and exceptional woman under the foster care of the loyal butler of Solidus, who had been cast away, and his wife. She teamed up with a paladin and a mercenary to overthrow the current Count of Solidus, her half-brother.

 

Some say that this story is only a fairy tale for young girls, but for the Royal Family and the House Solidus, these people are real. After all, the Paladin is now the one they call Count Solidus. The Countess, not wishing to cause any ruckus, has hidden her identity, but it’s evident that she’s the one pulling the strings of the household. The Royal Family also knows this as well. Even after going back to his royal duties, the once mercenary, decided to go back on being the Crown Prince and eventually, now the Royal King.

 

Baekhyun scoffs a laugh. “So what, is he going to save the world with his seducing prowess?” He stands up and waves a hand in dismissal. “We’ll talk tomorrow. I’m exhausted from the trip.” Seungsoo bows his head and then set his lips in a firm line.

 

If what the Crown Prince is telling the truth, then his little brother’s fate is going to change soon.

 

--

 

When Kyungoo comes to, it was back in the carriage and everything is deadly quiet. Jongin is looking at him with eyes wide shaking in fear and the outside is filled with trees, definitely different from the original road they were supposed to go. When he opens his mouth to ask, Jongin covers it immediately, shaking his head. At first, he’s confused and then slowly, his eyes went wide in realization.

 

Ah, . They’ve been high jacked.

 

He sits back on pretends that everything is alright as he sees there are men riding horses on his peripheral vision. At this moment, Kyungsoo really hates novel Kyungsoo for skipping on his sword lessons.

 

It wasn’t long before the carriage was pulled in a stop. Kyungsoo sees a gruff man stopping at the door and with so much force, he yanks it open. He’s definitely shaking right now but Kyungsoo refuses to show weakness. Not only is he upholding the Solidus name but well, he’s a man full of pride. He’s ashamed that this is one of the reason why the divorce with his wife pushed through but it’s something that he really does not want to lose right in this moment.

 

It’s just a dream. It’s just a dream, Kyungsoo thinks. If he dies, maybe he’ll be brought back to life? But what if he doesn’t? Oh, , , , .

 

“Wakey, wakey, princess.” The man with yellow, crooked teeth grabs him by the wrist and yanks him away. Jongin, by instinct, tried to intervene but was easily overpowered and stumbled back on the carriage.

 

“My Lord!” And a slam of the door. The two goons with crooked teeth snicker and taunt Jongin from the outside. Poor Jongin can only hit the door frame multiple times as he watches helplessly. Kyungsoo wanted to assure him that everything would be alright. They’re probably bandits that were in cahoots with the inn owner. Like seriously, are the villages here in the East that desperate for money now?

 

Kyungsoo isn’t a stranger on getting robbed. He had been robbed before but only pick-pocketed not full blown like this. Maybe if they got what they needed, they’ll leave them alone.

 

“500 Gold and we’ve hit a jackpot.” B1 – we’ll call him that – smirks.

 

“Shall we sell all off his organs in the market? I heard rich ones are fresh.” B2 – the dumber one – said.

 

Crooked Teeth is still grabbing him by the wrist, grins menacingly. “I want to have fun first.” Then he threw Kyungsoo on the ground, making him fall face flat. He groans in pain, thinking that it wouldn’t hurt too much since this is all just fantasy but this – that hurts like hell. “Let’s make him bleed.”

 

And that’s when he felt it.

 

He definitely did not anticipate the swing of a blade hitting him from behind; however, his body acted by instinct and dodged it. His dodge, however, is poorly executed as it still cuts him at the side. Kyungsoo curses, staggering and slowly worms back, covering the bloodied side with his hand. From a distance, he can hear Jongin’s pounding getting louder and the two stooges laughing. Damn it, they’re definitely having a blast on this.

 

If he’s going to die today, he might as well put a fight to it. He knows Minsu would never forgive him for cowering like this so before he dies of blood loss, might as well throw in a lucky er punch.

 

Crooked Teeth approaches with a small grin. “Come here, pretty.”

 

Kyungsoo sees an opening.


With so much force, he swipes his leg and kicks the er’s knee, sending him back and getting the man to drop his knife. He immediately picks it up, biting back a scream when he stands up because he can feel his skin ripping open on his side. The bleeding is too much.

 

“Oh, princess got some fight in them.” Crooked Teeth taunted. “Why I ought to –“

 

Everything happened so fast. It was like his arm is on auto-pilot. He threw the blade directly on the Crooked Teeth’s head, killing him swiftly. The goons abandoned their post and charges, drawing their swords. Kyungsoo’s eyes were slowly getting unfocused but he took a stance and punches B1 directly on the face so hard; he can feel the man’s nose crushing. And with his bloodied hand, he took the sword and strikes B2 on his chest before kicking him down and finishing with stabbing B1 him on the stomach.

 

He hears the carriage door opening and then a shout. Kyungsoo furrows his brows and wobbles before everything turned black.

 

--

 

You must be him.

 

Who?

 

The one who will break my curse.

 

Wait, what curse?

 

I’ve been trapped in this world doing the same thing over and over – relieving the same memory and taking the same decision.

 

What are you talking about?

 

I want to be different. I don’t want to repeat the same things. I want to be free.

 

--

 

When Kyungsoo came to, he’s staring at an unfamiliar ceiling. His fingers hurt like hell and his body aches so bad, he wants to throw up. He does not try to stand up, no; he would be a fool to do so. Instead, he turns his head sideways and squints at a figure sitting on a velvet couch a few feet away from the bed. He’s expecting his astigmatism not to carry over in this world but life’s a .

 

The figure stands up when it sees him awake and then it rushes forward until it’s clear in view.


“Thank goodness you’re awake.” Then he shakes his head. “What the hell are you thinking following me here?!”

 

Following? Wait – Kyungsoo blinks and then his eyes focused. It’s the Crown Prince. He’s frowning – mad – but his eyes are showing concern and worry? He turns to the side. “Where’s Jongin?”

 

“Oh, he’s outside.” Baekhyun answers. “The kid never left your side and he looks like he’s not getting enough sleep so I had him taken away to the quarters so that he can rest. A knight was patrolling during that time and he found the two of you at the forest.” The Crown Prince raised his brows. “Seriously, what are you doing here?”

 

, he doesn’t have time for this.

 

“How long was I out?”

 

“Two days.” Baekhyun frowns. “You were bleeding heavily when you were brought in. It’s a miracle you haven’t died of blood loss thanks to your brother.”

 

Kyungsoo’s eyes went wide. Right, Seungsoo. He needs to talk to the man. Slowly, he gets up and stifles a groan, feeling his abdomen stretching. It’s a painful kind of stretch like something ripping open.

 

“You fool!” Baekhyun whacks his forehead. Kyungsoo shouts. “What the hell are you thinking?! You could have hurt yourself more.” A gentle touch on the bandage part, the Crown Prince speaks in a hush voice. “It may not look like it but the wound is deep. Seungsoo stitched you up but it’s only temporary to help the tissues to build up so as much as possible, don’t move.”

Please log in to read the full chapter