Prompt 86 - b

Baeksoo Collection
Please log in to read the full chapter

prompt: kyungsoo entered the world of a book

word account: 5,911

 

Kyungsoo woke up at the sound of soft knocks on the door. He looks around, always hoping he would be back in his old room, wishing for his little Minsu to come inside and starts jumping on his bed to wake up. But no, he keeps on seeing large red drapes blocking the sunlight from entering instead and a wide enough room that is the size of the apartment room they’re living in. He groggily sits up and yawns, a sigh escaping his mouth.

 

Today marks his third month of stay here in this book.

 

”Good morning, my lord!” Jongin greets as soon as he’s inside, taking control of the trolley where his breakfast is from the maid. The maid bows her head in greeting before taking her leave. “I hope that you had a good night rest as we’ll be busy with your current schedule.”

 

He notices some things while he’s inside this book. One, he didn’t know that things progress as normal and the characters here live their normal life before the next event of the chapter is on-going and two, he can see and hear some news about other events as well – some events are even scenes or excerpts from the sequel that the author of the book is planning, like for example, about the marriage announcement of House Nitor’s Yoongi to House Fortem’s Jimin. If memory serves him right, Jimin is the supposed main character in the spin-off novel of this book after its huge success. In the real world, the book is still on promotion so he’s not sure on how the story goes.

 

The summary, however, is about the youngest son of the Fortem Count who was abused mentally by his mother ever since the loss of his twin sister. Because of this, he was raised as a girl and even engaged off at tender young age of 16, like most girls and women in this misogynistic era. It would be considered as fraud but when Yoongi found out about his true gender, he did not care as he only wanted a marriage for title to get his parents off his back. Eventually like any other romance novels, he knows they’re going to fall in love, expose Fortem’s deceit and lies and then they live happily ever after.

 

Despite the glory of its household name, Fortem does consist of ed up people. Not that he cares as he knows he has a bigger problem on-going.

 

“Tell me again about this party?”

 

“It’s apparently a social gathering as a form of introduction to Count Caelum’s first son.” Kyungsoo sighs after taking a long sip of coffee. Ah yes, Minseok. Caelum so far does not have any known controversies. He’s married to his wife, the Countess of Caelum, and even if it’s an arranged marriage, Minseok was not reported to get a concubine or mistress despite rumors of his wife being infertile. Well, somebody has to be the normal and sensible one. “He is already 16, the right age for his debutante.” Jongin takes his plate and hands him plate of three butter-covered bread. “I think high ranking families would come and bring their children as well, possibly wanting to arrange a marriage already with the young heir. Though, I could not blame them as well from doing so. Not only from the status, little Minseo is a dead-ringer of his father. Handsome, indeed.”

 

“Poor kid.” Kyungsoo mutters. He looks at the butler with a small convincing smile. “Is there any chance that you can cancel my attendance there?”

 

Jongin’s expression darkens, but he’s smiling at him. Somehow, the sight horrifies him to the bone. “Well, I do recall a certain agreement that was done previously. Are you turning your back against your word now, my lord?” Kyungsoo groans and waves him away, sighing in defeat afterwards making said butler clap his hands in joy. “Then I shall call the maids to prepare your outfit. I’ll be seeing you later, my lord.”

 

Picking up the plates and placing the silverwares back on the trolley, Jongin cranes his neck to look at him before exiting the room with a gentle, yet warning smile. “And no going to the library either.”

 

Kyungsoo throws his head back and groans. Nobles and their ing parties.

 

--

 

After trying to convince the maids on what the best party outfit should be, (he had to stop them from forcing the combination of orange, yellow and green garments on him. Like seriously, novel Kyungsoo must be a peacock or something) he finds himself inside a carriage ride to the Caelum estate. Now he understands why they need to leave early as the journey there is hours long.

 

“You look amazing today, my lord.” Jongin beams. “Your choice is simple and yet, it brings out your handsome features.”

 

Kyungsoo smiles in response. Amidst the colorful clothing that novel Kyungsoo owns, the one that does not stand the most is the simple black and red royal garments at the very end of his large scale wardrobe. Kyungsoo has to fully convince the maids that it would be the best outfit to go to a coming-of-age party as he does not want to stand out. On the contrary, the maids do want to stand out as, according to them, wanted their master to be the center of attention! It was a good thing that they managed to stop pestering him as soon as he wore his choice of clothing.

(Unbeknownst to him, they started fawning over the young master as soon as they saw him.)

 

It was already close to evening when they arrived. Many guests were already inside and Kyungsoo, being the anti-social man himself, feels uncomfortable at the sight. But it’s alright as he’s not alone. He knows Jongin will be with him and will accompany his lonely self inside –

 

“We will be right here waiting, my lord. If you ever wished to leave after the greetings, we’ll be here and will prepare the carriage ride for you.” Kyungsoo froze. “And I do hope you enjoy!” Jongin waves at him joyously like a little brother bidding farewell and a good luck.

 

Just like that, Kyungsoo finds himself walking towards the main entrance of Caelum, mortified.

 

--

 

“My lord has definitely changed.” Jongin nods to himself and then sighs, folding his arms. He remembers vaguely those moments when he finds himself hauling the young Solidus heir back to the carriage, dead drunk in expensive wine or even in a state of panic as he tries to look everywhere for said man only to find out he’s spent the evening at a maiden’s or lad’s place.

 

He can only hope that the he has changed for the better. Maybe this is the fruit of his devotion to the Crown Prince? Jongin claps to himself, smiling. He makes a mental note to thank the man when he meets him face to face.

 

--

 

Novel Kyungsoo was greatly missed by his adoring fans, it seems. The moment he stepped inside and his presence announced, nobles, maidens and countesses has flocked his way. He can only give them a small smile as a response to any question he’s been asked and every worry-filled remarks at him. Everyone, thanks to Jongin pulling some strings, knew that he was sick then which is why he cancelled all party invites and attendances. Kyungsoo thanked them, assuring them as well that he is fine before finally manages to excuse himself from the flock to get himself a nice glass of wine.

 

The wine is definitely a bad idea, Kyungsoo thinks to himself. As soon as he took the first sip, he coughs slightly, feeling his throat parching. The taste, the colour and the smell is divine and magnificent; however, it was too strong for his taste.

 

“It’s a surprise to see you coming.”

 

Oh, . Kyungsoo wobbly smiles in greeting. Caelum’s current Count is giving his usual poker-face, but unlike the vibe he’s giving off at the Assembly, Minseok is showing a warm and friendly stance. “I heard your sudden lack of presence at parties these days so I thought you’d be declining our invitation.” Kyungsoo feels his throat getting tighter due to the wine so he gives the man a brief bow in greeting and a smile, hoping that the man will get the message to leave him alone. Unfortunately, Minseok is blessed with a cunning sense of observation so he might have noticed everything much to his embarrassment. The Count grins in amusement. “I see you must have enjoyed the wine. Well, then I also hope you enjoy the party.”

 

He bows his head before walking away, moving next to the noble who greets him. Kyungsoo shakes his head in embarrassment before putting his glass down, walking to the best possible place to escape the eyes of everyone – the balcony.

 

How could he not think of this sooner? The darkness in the balcony served a good hiding spot as well thanks to his attire. It’s also a good spot to observe what’s happening at the party. Nobles are dancing with their partners, the Royal Court arriving and being introduced along with their spouses or plus one, and let’s not forget the usual gossiping circles. This scenario is very similar to the parties back when he was in University and frankly enough, they share the same toxicity too.

 

“Are you scheming something?”

 

Kyungsoo jolts, surprised at another’s presence. It was too dark and because of his poor eyesight, he couldn’t see or figure out who was with him. Regardless, he takes a step back, frowning as he squints and tries to make out on who the other person is. But Kyungsoo does not need to try hard as the figure emerges out of from the darkness, frowning and giving him an icy look. And he thought he was mistaken, but no it’s definitely him. Caramel hair – tousled and styled – and he’s also wearing the signature white and gold royal garments.

 

It’s the Crown Prince.

 

--

 

“The party is boring.”

 

“No, it’s not.” Youngest son of the King from his lady consort, Taehyung, gives his rib a nudge. Baekhyun rolls his eyes and sighs.

 

Despite the rivalry between the Queen and the consorts, the siblings are very close and have no interest on the throne if it means fighting against each other. Baekbeom, the supposed Crown Prince, steps down and pursues magic. He’s with the mages at the secluded part of the Kingdom now. Initially, Baekhyun plans to step down as well but seeing how Taehyung has grown a passion for medicine and helping people, thanks to Solidus’s Seungsoo, he decided to spare his youngest brother so that he can achieve his dreams to be the man’s apprentice. Though, his brother’s obsession with the older male is already annoying enough.

 

“The real question is, will he be coming?”

 

Baekhyun raises a brow. “Who?”

 

There was a pause because Minseok, Count of Caelum, announces the coming of age of his eldest son and future heir. Everyone applauses. “Your fiancé.”

 

“Don’t call him that.”

 

“But it’s true.” Taehyung smirks. “Admit it. You started coming to parties because you noticed his lack of presence.” When he did not respond, his smirk widens. “See? Silence means yes.”

 

“I’m not.” Baekhyun hisses and lowers his voice when he notices a few nobles looking at their way. “Taehyung-ah.” He gives his brother a small pat on the chest. “I’m only here because I wanted to see Count Minseok’s son since he will be a future Count and heir of one of the Royal Court families now…” His voice lowers as few octaves down. “If you even dare mention his name in front of me –“

 

“Oh, Kyungsoo’s here!” Taehyung cuts short, beaming. He raises his hand in glee. “Kyung -!”

 

Baekhyun immediately covers the younger’s mouth with two hands, hissing. “Dammit, Taehyung.”

 

Taehyung grins and removes his hands off his mouth. “He’s not even here, brother. What’s got you so flustered?” He looks around and indeed, Kyungsoo is nowhere to be seen. Baekhyun steps back in defeat, annoyed at his brother. “Hey, I’m joking.” Then he nudges his arm, knowing that he’s going to be met with the silent treatment. “Look. If you’re really mad about –“

 

Baekhyun slowly tunes out his brother. He knows he’s only going to defend Kyungsoo especially since the two has been close friends – party friends, to be exact. But what his brother does not know is how creepy Kyungsoo is when they’re alone together. Downright harassing words, innuendos that would make any person uncomfortable and also touches that are disgusting. He can get him reported as Crown Prince; however, he hates how majority of the people in the castle are only viewing his claims as reasons to break off the engagement. It’s not a secret that everyone favours Solidus due to the Count’s friendship with the Royal family.

 

Come to think of it, how come Kyungsoo and the Count are so different yet they look so much alike?

 

When Solidus’s house name was announced, Baekhyun turns his head to the direction of where it was and to his surprise, the Kyungsoo entering the hall is… different. Not only of his looks and the way he dresses, his aura is definitely different. It’s like a different person just walked in wearing Kyungsoo’s face and looks. With Taehyung by his side, he has to act indifferent, but he’s suspicious. Is this another way of Kyungsoo fooling everyone?

 

He chose the moment to slip away from his brother and the other’s sights when Taehyung is swarmed by a flock of nobles and ladies asking him for a dance. His eyes followed Kyungsoo – breaking away only when a lady approached him with a shy smile, asking how he is doing. Baekhyun answers politely, bowing slightly in response at how beautiful she looks in her dress. After making sure that she’s satisfied with the compliment and attention, he excuses himself and continues on checking at Kyungsoo.

 

Kyungsoo looks relieved and then slipped away from the crowd’s eyes and disappeared to the balcony. Baekhyun scoffs. Of course, the darker the better, typical Kyungsoo. To the person who would be the man’s victim in tonight’s party, he wishes and hopes for the best. However, he wanted to take this opportunity to expose the man’s dirty acts and turn everyone’s favour against him so he followed Kyungsoo to the balcony, entering to the other side’s entrance.

 

He expected the usual scenario: Kyungsoo caging an innocent, yet willing lamb at the darkest corner. To his surprise, he finds the man alone, staring at the dance hall with a

Please log in to read the full chapter