Prompt 83 (1/2)

Baeksoo Collection
Please log in to read the full chapter

Prompt: soulmates!baeksoo where everyone is attached to a string. 

Word Count: 6104

 

How did it end up with this?

 

Baekhyun is struck frozen when he sees his ex-boyfriend of 5 years, Do Kyungsoo, with nothing but his boxers, a towel hanging on his shoulder and hair dripping wet out of shower. It’s unfair that he looks this hot – even hotter than the last time they saw each other. Like Kyungsoo has muscles on his chest and it wasn’t there the last time they saw each other. The younger had a body of gangly limbs and a smile of a total nerd. The man staring at him with the most intense and heart-stopping eyes isn’t that same person. How the did this happen?

 

“So you’re the new roommate, huh.” Kyungsoo said with an unfamiliar deep voice.

 

They met when they were twelve years old and they’ve been attached on the hip ever since. He doesn’t know who fell for who first but when they were fourteen, Kyungsoo was the one who leaned first and kissed him. It was the night when they sneaked out just to watch a movie at an open cinema at the park near the neighborhood. The mood wasn’t even there because they were watching Dawn of the Dead: a horror movie and Baekhyun couldn’t help the little shrieks at every horrifying scene. But they kissed anyway and Baekhyun loved every second of it and wanted to do it again when it was over.

 

And he got his wish, because after that, they kept on doing that. Sneaking of tiny or long kisses behind closed doors or sometimes in the bathroom when they know they’re the only ones inside. In the senior year of middle school, they became official.

 

Kyungsoo was all of Baekhyun’s first Baekhyun was all of Kyungsoo’s first.

 

Of course, their break up was the worst.

 

It wouldn’t be a surprise if Kyungsoo said that Baekhyun was his first heartbreak. Because who on earth would even up and left after high school graduation and initiate a break up over a phone? Baekhyun did and there’s not a moment that he regretted that. He can still remember how Kyungsoo sounds like on the phone when he said he doesn’t want to continue dating anymore and amidst the sniffles and cries the younger made, he can feel Kyungsoo giving up in every word he said. In every desperate why’s he asked and the final, okay, he said after Baekhyun ended the call. It was the worst ever which is why Baekhyun isn’t that surprised when he’s met with blank and stony eyes when they see each other again.

 

“If you’re done staring, you can go and fix your things in your room.” Kyungsoo said. “It’s the door opposite of mine.” He picks up his towel and places it on his hair, drying them off as he walks towards the kitchen with not even a hint of emotion on his face.

 

Baekhyun wanted to faint right there and then.

 

 

 

 

 

“Okay, so you’re telling me that you can’t stay in your apartment anymore because you’re apparently roommates with your ex, is that correct?”

 

“Yes, that’s why I’m begging you, Jongdae.” Baekhyun bemoans. “Do you know any apartment that I can possibly stay just until I can bounce back on my feet? Or better yet, can I just stay in yours and Minseok-hyung? Please, please, please. I don’t think I can survive there with Kyungsoo looking at me like he wanted to kill me in my sleep!”

 

“Yeah, well…as much as I’d love to, I can’t. Minseok’s parents are coming this Thursday and we’re in the middle of getting everything spick and span. And I don’t think there’s any cheap and decent apartment available this time of the year.” Jongdae shrugs. “Cheap, yes, but decent? Nah.” Baekhyun slumps down on his seat, groaning in agony. “But I do know something that you can do.”

 

His expression brightens up, a tinge of hope rising through his chest. “What?”

 

“ it up.”

 

Let’s just say Jongdae went back to his apartment soaking wet and smelling of beer.

 

 

 

 

 

In this world, people are all connected by strings. Only the people connected to it can see the red string of fate as the old folks would call it. Baekhyun still hasn’t see his nor was he waiting for it to appear. He doesn’t even believe in all of these soulmate bull.

 

Their ancestors said that people were born seeing colors and warmth that radiate in the sky. And at the right age, the string would appear and make them feel what their soulmate is feeling as if they were connected even if they are far away. However, it is heavily advised to never untie the string. There are numerous rumors about the effects of it but Baekhyun refuse to hear any of it. All of those soulmates thing are nothing but stories to make people believe that a person for them really exists in this world.

 

Baekhyun isn’t a downer but he believes that there is no such thing as fated to be. If you and that person are really meant to be then you need to work for it to make it happen. People just can’t wait and do nothing hoping for a miracle to happen. They need to make the miracle themselves.

 

So the reason why Kyungsoo and he didn’t work out isn’t because of the fates. It’s because Baekhyun didn’t try hard enough.

 

He shivers against the cold wind and stuffs his hands inside his coat pocket. It’s a long walk but he’s determined to stretch out the hours, dreading to see the sole proof of his failure.

 

When he arrived at the apartment flat, he’s surprised to see Kyungsoo standing at the balcony at the dining room, hands gripping on the rails and head raised up as he watches the night sky. Baekhyun has half a mind to walk past him and went straight to his room however, Kyungsoo has this look as if he’s searching for something and Baekhyun couldn’t help but find himself blurting, “What are you doing?”

 

He finds himself embarrassed because Kyungsoo isn’t responding. But just when Baekhyun was about to leave, Kyungsoo opens his mouth to answer. “I’m watching the night sky.”

 

He makes a non-committed hum of understanding before leaving. Baekhyun doesn’t want to embarrass himself any further. It’s obvious with the way Kyungsoo’s tone that he doesn’t want to talk. It’s like he’s just forcing himself to answer all of Baekhyun’s questions because he doesn’t want to be rude. To save both of them the trouble, Baekhyun left to his room and locks the door, feeling his heart pounding against his chest.

 

“ing hell.” Baekhyun presses his forehead against the door and groans.

 

 

 

 

 

His first morning with Kyungsoo was an odd one. Baekhyun finds himself waking up to a full course breakfast on the table and Kyungsoo eating. When noticed his presence, he gestures to the place where the empty plate is at and said, “Go eat.”

 

“T-Thanks.”

 

Baekhyun gently sat down opposite of Kyungsoo and tries hard not to stare at how Kyungsoo looks calm and natural as he eats his food. His face was void of emotion as if this is the most common thing ever happening in his life. As if Baekhyun being his ex, being his roommate and eating breakfast with him isn’t awkward. So Baekhyun tries to do the same. If Kyungsoo is going to act this way, then he’s not going to lose.

 

But it’s hard.

 

That goes on for weeks and then… it was already a month.

 

Baekhyun pulls his hair back in agony. “Jongdae, I don’t think I can take this anymore.”

 

Jongdae raised his brow upon hearing this. “Seriously? It’s already a month since you two are living together. I thought everything was going great.” He said. “So what is it this time?”

 

“He’s…” Baekhyun waves his hands frantically. “He’s acting weird. Every night when I come he would always be out in the balcony staring at god knows what and never once did I see any single emotion on his face whenever he’s with me. I swear, I don’t know if I can even –“

 

“But why is it affecting you, though?” The other male tilts his head. “I mean, basically you two are exes, right? I thought you don’t care about him anymore.”

 

“I don’t, but…”

 

Jongdae raised a brow.

 

“…he’s acting weird!” Baekhyun tries to defend himself. “If Minseok is acting like that around you, you’d share the same sentiments as I do, right?”

 

“Yeah, of course.” Jongdae said. “But Minseok is my soul mate. Whatever he feels, I feel. Of course, I’d feel worried if ever he’s acting like that. In your situation, however, Kyungsoo is what… your ex? As a person, I won’t question that but you’re the one who’s ing about how you don’t want to interact with Kyungsoo in the first place. So what’s happening now?”

 

“I…” Baekhyun scoffs a laugh when Jongdae gives him a smug smirk. “It’s nothing like that. I’m just… concerned.”

 

“Right.”  

 

Talking to Jongdae about Kyungsoo doesn’t make any sense anymore so he gave up and decided to entertain the other male when he changed the topic into something else. Even then, Kyungsoo’s actions and behavior still bothers Baekhyun to no end. It’s crazy and weird especially when Kyungsoo acts like an emotionless zombie walking around the house.

 

Deciding to end all of the nonsense, Baekhyun corners Kyungsoo when the younger male is in the kitchen cooking their dinner. It was a Saturday, meaning it was their day off from work, and normally Baekhyun chooses to go out bother his friends or go out clubbing with them. But this is one of those rare moments where Baekhyun chose to stay in and simply communicate with his estranged ex/roommate.

 

Baekhyun clears his throat and casually leans his back against the counter, trying to look nonchalant and definitely not shaking from nervousness. “Hey, Kyungsoo.”

 

Kyungsoo hums in recognition but did not take his eyes off from the bean paste stew he’s making.

 

“I know we…have some history together but… do you uh… hate me?”

 

The answer that Kyungsoo gave is quick with no hesitation. “No, I don’t.” He stirs the pot and takes a quick whiff, staring at the stew with those emotionless black irises. “Just because we had a bad break up doesn’t mean I hate you. What you did was stupid, yes, but I long accepted it. You and I are bound to part ways anyway. It’s something we cannot help.”

 

“Y-Yeah.” Baekhyun feels something bad in the pit of his stomach. Guilt? Definitely. But Kyungsoo doesn’t look affected. It fact, he looks like he doesn’t even care at all.

 

“Let the past remain in the past.” Kyungsoo adds. “Stop digging back past memories. It will only do nothing good.” Baekhyun blinks in surprise when Kyungsoo takes a spoon and brings it close on his lips after giving it a soft blow. “Taste it. See if it’s good.”

 

Baekhyun blinks twice and slowly accepts it, the flavors tickling his tongue that got him remembering of the past where Kyungsoo would cook him meals whenever he comes by to his place whenever his parents are out of town or whenever he’s sick. The stew is delicious but the memories leave a bitter taste in his mouth especially when he thinks back at how his young and immature self decided to break things off in the stupidest way ever.

 

“It tastes great.”

 

Kyungsoo nods to himself and turns off the stove.

 

That was the last conversation they have that night.

 

 

 

 

 

It wasn’t a mystery how Baekhyun detested the idea of deities playing with people’s emotions and lives by pairing up random people and call them soulmates but he can never deny how happy he is whenever he sees his friends, Jongdae and Minseok together looking so contented and totally in synch like two puzzle pieces fitting together easily.

 

Though sometimes he finds it irritating how he always looks like a third wheel around them.

 

“Do you wonder...what happens to people who pull their strings off before they could even find out who their soulmate is?”

 

Baekhyun doesn’t want to be obvious about it but he too is somewhat intrigued on what can happen to a person after that happens. No one definitely knows because you cannot determine a person if ever their strings have been pulled off or not. It’s like nothing happens. Like… do even the strings exists in the first place?

 

Jongdae stops chewing on his food and blinks at his boyfriend in confusion. “What’s with the question? Are you planning on pulling your string off, Kim Minseok?”

 

Minseok scoffs a laugh. “Oh, please. Even if I want to, unfortunately I’m already stuck with you.” Jongdae pouts at this. “Plus, after two parties already are both aware that they are each other’s soulmates, the string just disappears. It’s as if it’s served its purpose.”

 

Baekhyun remains silent and continues on munching on his fries.

 

“Baek –“

 

“No, I have no string in any of my fingers nor in my .” Baekhyun interrupts the older male with a pointed stare. “It didn’t appear. I have no soulmates. I’ve long since accepted it. I’m going to live my life soulmate-less until I take my last breath.”

 

Minseok sighs. “Baekhyun, don’t say that –“

 

“I didn’t say that it’s a bad thing, though. I think it’s great!” He exclaims enough to make a few heads turn their way. Jongdae bows his head in apology at the ruckus. “I have the freedom in choosing the partner for me, you know? I don’t need the pressure of the deities to find who the perfect person is for me. That’s basically fine!”

 

But instead of making a point, it feels like Baekhyun is just convincing himself that it’s fine. Even then, Baekhyun is too prideful to even admit this to his friends so Jongdae and Minseok lets him be and just agrees on whatever he says. If there’s something that they truly avoid to happen, it’s engaging Baekhyun in some sort of a debate.

 

“Goddammit,” Baekhyun ruffles his hair and looks at the window, clearly worked up from his small fit earlier.

 

When Baekhyun arrived home, he sees Kyungsoo in the middle of taking his coat off and hanging it on the rack. He froze at the sight and so did Kyungsoo, but it only took a three seconds before Kyungsoo continued on his way and entered the apartment without even looking back. Without making a sound, Baekhyun follows.

 

It was only now did he notice how Kyungsoo’s back changed, the slim and narrow shouldered male is now broad and you can see his muscles flex in every move he makes. Baekhyun swallows hard and looks away. But as he does, he didn’t notice Kyungsoo stopping making him accidentally crash against the younger male. Baekhyun’s eyes went wide.

 

“W-What –“

 

Kyungsoo looks at him dead in the eye and then whispers, his husky smooth voice echoing in his ears.

 

“Good night.”

 

And then he left Baekhyun standing with face red and heart drumming against his chest.

 

 

 

 

 

Baekhyun woke up that night all curled up in his blanket like a baby cocooned not wanting to make any unnecessary movements. He’s falling in and out of consciousness, his ears blood cold and his teeth chattering. He tries to look around, thinking, is the heater even

Please log in to read the full chapter