Prompt 32

Baeksoo Collection
Please log in to read the full chapter

Prompt: Baek is a piano genius with a terminal heart disease, with a very lonely life. He’s isolated in life because of people thought on him being fragile. Only a certain wide eyes, with a beautiful heart lips smile, stay with him, holding his hand until his last breath.

Word Count: 7247 (wow that long?)

 

There is this phrase that says, “If you love someone, let them go. If they return to you, it was meant to be. And if they don’t, their love was never yours to begin with.”

 

But what if said person you want to let go doesn’t want to. No matter how hard you told them that being with you will only cause them pain – a pain that they will probably carry until they’re old. Baekhyun doesn’t want that. The thought of bringing Kyungsoo pain makes him feel ten times worse than the dread he’s feeling.

 

Byun Baekhyun, ever since he was young, he’s been known as a piano prodigy. Every dull keys pressed by his fingers turned into music and every common pieces turns into masterpieces when he plays. His mother was also one herself, but seeing how she died young from an illness made him stop playing. Baekhyun doesn’t want to bring pain after all. And him playing the melodies his mother plays brought grief to his father.

 

Despite stopping, he can’t help but be captivated at the majestic instrument and he was always tempted to play. The dusty white grand piano from his mother was left abandoned in her music room. So he decided to play when his father was out of town one time.

 

His eyes were wide and sparkling when Baekhyun first saw him. He was seen peeking from the window, standing up in his tip toes to see clearly. But due to his short stature, that seems to be impossible. Baekhyun immediately stopped playing when he saw black tufts of hair and when jumped off the stool to look, the boy made a mad dash off the garden and left Baekhyun staring at nowhere in particular from the window.

 

Determined to meet the boy again, Baekhyun decided to play every afternoon after waiting for his father to leave the house. And sadly, every attempt was a failure.

 

Until one day, Baekhyun decided to stop himself from trying and just play. And when he was this close to finish playing Chopin’s Etudes, he turns his head to the window and smiles. “Won’t you stop running away and show yourself to me, please?”

 

He hears a soft gasp making him chuckle.

 

He sees the boy pressed up against the wall, knees pressed against his chest and cherry tomato cheeks. His hands were balled into a fists and they were shaking. Baekhyun smiles and leans his head against his knuckles, staring down at him. “Hi.”

 

The boy squeaked in surprise and quickly stands up, finally noticing Baekhyun, who was at the window looking down at him. “No, no, no, don’t run!”

 

The boy blinks slowly.

 

“I’m Baekhyun.” He lifts his hand for a shake. “What’s your name?”

 

“K-Kyungsoo.”

 

“Hi, Kyungsoo.” Thirteen year old Baekhyun beams in delight. “Let’s be friends!”

 

And the twelve years old Kyungsoo smiles shyly in response.

 

There, he met Do Kyungsoo. His first friend.

 

“You know, father never wanted me out of the house.” Baekhyun grins cheekily at Kyungsoo. “I don’t why he doesn’t want me to, but I hate it.” He looks down on his black leather shoes and compares it to Kyungsoo’s worn down sneakers. He frowns but does not comment. “It would have been amazing, I think, being in your place for once.”

 

“Then you would have starved to death, hyung.” Kyungsoo shakes his head. “Thank you, by the way for earlier’s breakfast. That was the first time I’ve eaten bacon…”

 

“They’re amazing, aren’t they?” Baekhyun giggles and leans his head on the younger’s shoulder. “How about you come here every morning? Then we can play all day till afternoon!”

 

“That would be great, but I can’t.” Kyungsoo smiles sadly. “I still got chores. Madam won’t let me go until I finish cleaning her garden.”

 

“Ah, I see.” Baekhyun sighs. “I wish I could do that, too. Clean stuffs.”

 

Kyungsoo frowns. It was a work that he despises, cleaning the stable and tending the garden (but that changed when he grew fond of flowers) and hearing Baekhyun want to do these stuffs made him baffled. “Why is that?”

 

“I’ve never got to do anything in the house than study.” Baekhyun sighs sadly. “In this mansion, I’m not free. Like a caged dove wanting to fly out to the world.” He looks down on his shoes once again, frowning. “I wanted to do things for myself. They treat me like some kind of a fragile thing than a human being.”

 

“Ah, but I’ve always envied you, you know.” Kyungsoo smiles. “Minus the lavish lifestyle, I’ve always wanted to play the piano.” Baekhyun lifts his head up on Kyungsoo’s shoulder to meet the younger’s gaze. “Ever since I first heard you play, I was captivated. But then,” He lifts his right hand and frowns. “My fingers aren’t capable of doing that.”

 

“I can always teach you, Soo.”

 

“No, you don’t understand.” Kyungsoo shakes his head in dismay. “I just… can’t. My right hand is always in pain when it’s used with too much force and energy. The town doctor told me that I have joint pains in my fingers. It’s probably from cleaning the stables.”

 

“That’s sad.” Baekhyun holds his hand and caresses said fingers. “But don’t worry, I’ll just have to play for the both of us!” He beams.

 

“Really?” Kyungsoo’s eyes were wide in joy. “You’d do that for me?”

 

“Of course.” Baekhyun nods. “I would do that for you!”

 

Do Kyungsoo unknowingly became one of the key person in his life. He turned out to be his first love too.

 

Despite an orphan house worker from Madam Choi’s house, Mr. Byun welcomed Kyungsoo with open arms and decided to keep him to tend his son’s loneliness. Kyungsoo costs a fortune (Madam Choi can be a ) but it was all worth it when he sees the joy in Baekhyun’s face. Their friendship grew as days passed. And then days turned into months. Then months turned into years.

 

Until both boys realized that their friendship turned into love.

 

“Okay, hold that. Hold it.”

 

“Kyungsoo, I think it’s facing the wrong direction.”

 

“I think cameras work this way, baby. Trust me. I listened to the salesman when he gave me a quick tutorial on how to work this stuff.”

 

“I still think it’s facing the opposite direction.” Baekhyun laughs. “I mean, isn’t the flash supposed to go off in our direction?” He covers his hand with his mouth when Kyungsoo gives him a frown. “If the photos get developed and you’re wrong, you’re going to take me out fishing on that river.”

 

Kyungsoo huffs. “You can’t go out. I love you but as much as I want to do that, I will respect the rule your father gave when he agreed for us to date.”

 

“So are you admitting that I’m right, then?” Baekhyun smirks. And he almost laughs when Kyungsoo’s expression faltered because he knows the younger hates being corrected. Kyungsoo puffs his cheeks and folds his arms against his chest.

 

“It’s a bet.”

 

Which he won, by the way and Kyungsoo was left gaping in horror when he found photos of the dried wall on the Byun’s mansion instead of their faces.

 

Sneaking out of the mansion is hard work especially the restricted rule of never letting Baekhyun out of the house is still implemented. But since Kyungsoo is kind of a master in this kind of thing ever since he was little, he managed to get them out in no time. Though time was their enemy for Mr. Byun might be back early from work.

 

“I’ve always wanted to do this!” Baekhyun beams and jumps around when he sees Kyungsoo arranging the fishing pole. “Thank you, thank you, thank you! I thought you wouldn’t do it. I thought you were coming to that business meeting with father instead.”

 

“Don’t get too excited.” Kyungsoo chuckles and takes it. “I am forever grateful to Uncle, but my first priority will always be you. You know that. Now come here so I can show you how to do this properly”

 

Baekhyun beams and did as he was told.

 

Despite at the age of 23, both were still shy about skinship. So just the mere touch of Kyungsoo’s hands on him and his bottom grazing Kyungsoo’s crotch was enough to blow their faces in redness. The close proximity and the hot breath Kyungsoo’s giving out on his nape. It was enough for Baekhyun to melt.

 

“I want to do this again.” He said when they’re about to pack up. “We haven’t been this close back in the house. I want to have some alone time together like this again.” Kyungsoo blushed crimson and nods.

 

Baekhyun on times when Kyungsoo was out to accompany Mr. Byun in his business meetings, plays the piano on his free time. His fingers caress the keys and they produce music that soothes the ear. Feelings and longing were echoing the house and the melody of loneliness and isolation rings in your heart.

 

“That’s quite sad, you’re playing.”

 

He stops playing and looks at Kyungsoo with a smile. “You’re back.”

 

“Sometimes I feel guilty for leaving in broad daylight.” Kyungsoo approaches him and Baekhyun takes in the sight of his lover in his crisp black suit. He holds Kyungsoo’s face and cards his fingers on soft raven hair and Kyungsoo closes his eyes to savor every touch.

 

“Sometimes I envy you.” Baekhyun whispers. Kyungsoo opens his eyes. “You get to go out with father and go places.”

 

“But it’s boring there.” Kyungsoo chuckles.

 

“But at least you get to go outside the fences. You get to see the world and meet different people.” Baekhyun said sadly. “The farthest place my father brought me was the cemetery and that was to visit mother’s grave.”

 

Kyungsoo furrows his brows.

 

“I can never understand why they would treat me like this.” Baekhyun smiles bitterly. “I know ever since I was a child, I’ve been weak and constantly ill, but that doesn’t mean they should treat me like I’m someone that could break easily. I thought with you being here might change everything, but you too also treat me like I’m glass.”

 

“I don’t –“

 

“I’m also a normal person, Kyungsoo.” Baekhyun bites. “Why can’t you all see that?”

 

Kyungsoo was quiet for a moment and Baekhyun takes that as a cue to continue. “I’m tired. Take me to my room.”

 

“No, you’re not.” Baekhyun looks at him, baffled. Kyungsoo smirks and leans his head forward. “Do you want to know what I do when I was a kid? You know, while I was still working at Madam Choi?” Baekhyun shakes his head, intrigued. “Well, would you like to find out?”

 

Baekhyun doesn’t know if he’s glad or upset for even agreeing.

 

“We’re not supposed to do this.” Baekhyun hissed and tugs Kyungsoo hand that was holding his to leave. “We’re trespassing!”

 

“You wanted adventure, right?” Kyungsoo pressed a finger on his lips. “I’m giving you one.” Then his attention shifted to the brown and caramel horses on opposite ends of Madam Choi’s stable. “Hey, girl.” He softly pats the side of the horse’s head. “Miss me?”

 

“That’s Choco and that’s Caramel because… you know, the colors?” Baekhyun covers his mouth to hide his laugh as a response. “We are going horseback riding.”

 

Baekhyun’s eyes went wide. He never rode a horse before much less touch one. “W-We are?”

 

“Yeah.” Kyungsoo grins. “We’re taking Choco.” He looks at the other horse with an apologetic smile. “Sorry, bud. How about next time?”

 

When Kyungsoo opens the latch, Baekhyun holds his arm to stop him. “What if we get caught?”

 

“Relax.” He grins. “I know the new stable boy. Jungkook knows what we’re doing. Plus, Madam Choi’s out of town today. If ever she comes back, we’re going to go all ninja. So…” He holds out a hand to Baekhyun. “Will you join me on this wonderful adventure, sir?”

 

Baekhyun looks skeptical for a moment but cheekily smiles after, holding his hand. “I’d love to.”

 

Riding a horse isn’t an easy feat, but with Kyungsoo guiding him, it was an amazing experience. Baekhyun was shaking at first, leaning his back on to Kyungsoo for dear life, but as few rounds were passed, he slowly eases into it and lets himself enjoy it.

 

They passed by Madam Choi’s wide flower garden. Baekhyun’s eye were wide in delight at the sight of beautiful varieties all around them. Even her famous vineyard – her source of income. Kyungsoo chuckles and leads them there.

 

“Kyungsoo-yah!” Sungmin wipes his brow and waves at them. “Well, well, well. Isn’t this a nice surprise? Is that who I think it is?” Baekhyun blushes and bows his head low when all of the grape farmers’ eyes were on them.

 

“This is Baekhyun.” Kyungsoo smiles proudly. “My lover.”

 

“Ah, that is so nice.” Sooyoung beams. “Little Kyungsoo to finally have someone. I never thought I’d see the day.” Kyungsoo laughs and Baekhyun tries to hide his face with his hands.

 

Their little adventure took them to another beautiful place that Madam Choi’s hacienda could offer, the lake that Kyungsoo tells him that he mostly frequents at after cleaning the stables and garden. Kyungsoo helps him get off Choco as he tells the story of how he found this place but Baekhyun’s attention was mostly on the place so he kind of felt bad that he doesn’t understand most of what his lover had said.

 

“Thank you.” He said. They were sitting on the green grass, watching the ducks on the lake and a few flamingos coming down. They let Choco graze from behind. Kyungsoo smiles at him.

 

“You know, just to make it clear. I never did this because of what you said earlier.” Kyungsoo waves his hand. “I wanted to do this for you because I feel bad for not spending much time with you that much lately.” He looks down and fiddles with his fingers. “Looking after your family business can be hard work. I can understand why you don’t want to take over.”

 

“Well, I was never that good with anything than playing piano.” Baekhyun smiles. “I think you’ll be a perfect heir.”

 

“Yeah, about that.” Kyungsoo bites his lower lip and the sight made something in Baekhyun stir. “During on our way back, your father asked me about… you know, things regarding the future.”

 

Baekhyun raised his brows. “About what exactly?”

 

“M-M…” He clears his throat, blushing massively. “Marriage.”

 

“Oh.” Baekhyun blushes. “Oh.”

 

“What do you think about it?”

 

“I think it’s… nice.” Baekhyun beams at him. “The idea of being with you forever makes me happy.”

 

“Me, too.” Kyungsoo smiles and holds his hand. “The idea makes me happy too. A lot.”

 

He feels Kyungsoo’s rough hand squeezes his soft ones and the feeling made his heart skip a beat. “You are such a sap sometimes.” He smiles. “But I really love you a lot, Kyungsoo.” Baekhyun beams. “Thank you for this wonderful adventure. It really means a lot to me.”

 

Kyungsoo grins and kisses him.

 

Though the aftermath includes Jungkook coming to their spot with Caramel and alerting them about Madam Choi’s arrival and a few bunch of sneaking out of the property along with the sudden rain shower that fell, it was the best adventure that Baekhyun experienced after years of being caged in the mansion.

 

Baekhyun looks at Kyungsoo and presses his finger against his lips when he hears his father’s shoes clacking on the hallway. He was talking to someone on the phone and Baekhyun doesn’t want to let his father know that they went outside. For all he knows, the old man thought that they’re up in his room.

 

Sneaking in was a lot easier when he was still a kid. Though they were a few obstacles that they find hard to pass through, they managed to get inside the room safely.

 

After Kyungsoo closed the door softly, he squeaks in surprise when Baekhyun cages him against the door and kissed him fervently. Kyungsoo’s lips were cold against his but his body was warm and Baekhyun finds comfort in wrapping him in a tight embrace. One by one clothes fall, shoes dropped messily on the floor along with Kyungsoo’s black tie.

 

That night was the first time they made love.

 

Their engagement is fully acknowledged the next morning at breakfast with Mr. Byun telling them about the arrangements and conditions along with it. Baekhyun feels happy and all smiley, holding Kyungsoo’s hand through the whole ordeal as he showers in the congratulations and praises the staffs gave them.

 

Days following after that consisted of normal routines such as Baekhyun holing himself in the piano room and plays the instrument over and over – making beautiful melodies of Bach, Mozart and Beethoven’s masterpieces. And Kyungsoo would just lie on the couch there, watching the elder and succumbing to the wonderful music filling his ears.

 

“The staffs seems friendly nowadays.” Kyungsoo told him.

 

“They never associate with me before.” Baekhyun turns to grin at him. “It’s a nice change.”
 

Kyungsoo smiles. “Yeah, it is.”

 

The best thing of all of these that Baekhyun was the one who got to be in charge of the whole preparation. The joy lighting in his eyes were enough to spark happiness to the people around him the first time that happened. Out of excitement, he hurriedly took Kyungsoo’s hand and kisses him before bowing to his father in a gratefulness.

 

This was the first responsibility that his father bestowed on him and he’s determined to make everything perfect.

 

“So I was thinking of picking between orange and blue. What do you think?” Baekhyun looks at Kyungsoo with both brows raised. “Which one is better?”

 

“Anything that suits your taste.” Kyungsoo replies.

Please log in to read the full chapter