Prompt 50 - c

Baeksoo Collection
Please log in to read the full chapter

Prompt: baeksoo deals with love even though they’re already married to different partners.

Word Count: 5959

 

Kyungsoo drops his bags and comes into Joonmyeon’s arms the moment he spots him at the arrival parts of the airport. Their eyes locked quickly and Kyungsoo’s heart melted when he sees his husband. Despite it being apart for five days, Kyungsoo felt like it was years.

 

“I’m sorry.” Joonmyeon cries as he rubs his back. “I’m so sorry.”

 

Kyungsoo nods and hugs him tighter.

 

When they finally pulled apart, Joonmyeon wipes his face with his thumb and proceeded to give his in-law’s a proper greeting. He immediately carried their bags and bows his head in respect. “It’s good to see you again, Dad… Mom.”

 

Mr. Do smiles at him while Mrs. Do did not even spare him a single glance. Instead, she walked ahead with her husband beside her. Joonmyeon looks dejected and tails after them with their bags in his hands.

 

If there’s one thing that Kyungsoo could not understand, it’s that he doesn’t know the reason why his mother treats his husband so coldly. They weren’t like this before. In fact, they used to be civil towards each other back when they were still dating.

 

Kyungsoo sighs heavily and follows them.

 

 

 

 

 

Baekhyun didn’t go home.

 

Instead, he immediately took care of the arrangements to set up a proper wake for his son. And when it was already finished, he stood there, staring at room where his son’s coffin stood filled with flowers and a picture a frame that was took a few weeks before he passed. Baekhyun closed his eyes.

 

He’s tired.

 

The first one to come was Chanyeol.

 

“Baekhyunnie.” His deep voice echoed the room. “Oh, Baekhyun.” And with one large swoop, he scoops Baekhyun in his arms and wraps him in a tight hug. “I’m so sorry.” The giant sniffles and just like that, big fat tears rolls down his cheeks. Some dropping on Baekhyun’s suit. “I-I’m so sorry.”

 

Sehun had been closer to Chanyeol than Jongdae ever was. In fact, the kid treated the man as his second father. They bond over certain things like a real father and son would and Baekhyun felt grateful for Chanyeol to make Sehun feel like he isn’t loved any less. Sometimes, Baekhyun thinks that would it be better if he had fallen in love with Chanyeol instead? However, you can’t force feelings. Neither of them even felt their relationship drawing in to the romantic side.

 

Chanyeol lets out a shaky breath and holds his hand tight. They were sitting at the side, legs crossed while staring at the picture of smiling kid.

 

“Why didn’t you call?” Chanyeol said. “You had me so worried. I panicked actually and if it wasn’t for Jongdae telling me that you were in Gwangju, I wouldn’t have calmed down.”

 

“I’m sorry, Yeol.” Baekhyun whispers. “I was… getting in terms of his death. And I wasn’t ready to broadcast it to everyone. I need to deal with reality by myself for a while.”

 

Chanyeol squeezes his hand. “Well, does Jongdae know?” Baekhyun nods. “Does he even know you’re back?” Baekhyun doesn’t respond. Chanyeol sighs in frustration. “I swear to god, Byun Baekhyun.”

 

“I’ll tell him –“

 

The door opens revealing Jongdae, completely out of breath. He looks around and stops when he sees Sehun’s coffin. Jongdae falters for a moment and then draws his attention to his husband. “Baekhyun.” He marches up to him and raises his hand to slap him. Midway, however, Chanyeol grabs Jongdae’s hand to stop him from ever conflicting any pain.

 

“Back off, Jongdae.” Chanyeol growls.

 

“No.” Jongdae seethes. “You back off. This is a conversation between me and my husband.” He looks at Baekhyun with anger in his eyes. “And you, were you even planning on telling me?”

 

Baekhyun doesn’t reply.

 

“What gives you the right to keep my son’s death a secret to me?!” Jongdae shouts hysterically. He’s in tears and they keep on rolling down. “What gives you the right, huh?!”

 

“Sehun…”  Jongdae points at himself. “Sehun’s my son, too. How could you… How could you keep things from me?”

 

“Since when did you even act like a parent to him?”

 

Jongdae narrows his eyes. “What?”

 

“Since when…” Baekhyun slowly looks at him. “Have you been like a parent to him?” Anger seeps in right in his system as he counts all of the things Jongdae had done. The mistreatment, the strictness, Sehun’s lack of confidence because of his misgivings. Baekhyun laughs sarcastically. “For all I know, you were busy with somebody else. Do you even know that Sehun got in a soccer team?” Baekhyun laughs. “Of course like you would even know that, you were never there! So I’m asking you again, since when have you been like a parent to him, Kim Jongdae?”

 

Jongdae looks at his husband with wide eyes, every word hitting him in the core. Baekhyun smirks and jabs a finger on his chest.

 

“While I was bawling my eyes out, grieving, you were probably ing that woman behind my back.” Baekhyun grins mockingly. “Surprised that I know?”

 

Jongdae clamps his eyes shut. “B-Baekhyun, I –“

 

“Maybe… you were Sehun’s parent under the eyes of the law.” Baekhyun smiles and it’s taunting, mocking. Chanyeol looks at his best friend, bewildered. He had never seen Baekhyun act like this before. “But you were never his father in his eyes. Never.”

 

Jongdae looks at Baekhyun in pain before clenching his fists and left.

 

Baekhyun feels drain.

 

“You did great, Baek.” Chanyeol wraps his arm around his best friend and rubs his shoulder. “You did great.”

 

He was already at his limit.

 

 

 

 

 

People paid their respects. Joonmyeon was in the front, greeting everyone with a bow, shaking hands and accepting anything that is given to them. Friends, families and people who knew Jongin came. Some came from Gwangju while some were old friends of Jongin back when the kid was still in elementary.

 

Kyungsoo is beyond exhausted. He has never felt so tired in his entire life.

 

“I’m really sorry for your loss, Do-sshi.” Jongin’s soccer coach took the time to travel far just to attend the wake. “Jongin was a good kid. A very talented man. I offer my condolences.” Kyungsoo bows his head in reply and flashes a weak smile.

 

When reality kicks in, you find yourself fully aware of your surroundings. The people around you and how they interact with each other. How they cope with someone’s death and how they took it. And Kyungsoo could easily spot those who cared and those who just came because of curiosity and the thought really irked him. However, he knows Jongin likes people coming and he must have been really happy up there so he did not say another word and mutes.

 

Kyungsoo finds solace in the very corner of the room and hides himself there.

 

He’s tired. 

 

So tired.

 

Joonmyeon must have noticed this because fifteen minutes later, he positioned himself beside him, doing the same sitting position as him. Joonmyeon leans his head on his shoulder and heaves out a deep sigh. “You should go back and get some rest. I’ll handle the rest here.”

 

“I can still manage.”

 

“You don’t look like it.” Joonmyeon looks at him in worry. “Go on, darling.”

 

He wanted to stay with his husband, but he was already near his limit. He had been grieving since day 1 and the emotional distress and exhaustion finally took a toll on him. So with a smile, he leans forward and kisses the older male before standing up. “Are you sure you’re fine on your own?”

 

Joonmyeon nods.

 

“Okay,” Kyungsoo helps him stand up. “Just… call me if you need anything else, alright?”

 

Joonmyeon nods and smiles. “Okay.”

 

The moment he stepped out, Kyungsoo feels his energy draining.

 

 

 

 

 

The date of the two’s funeral were the same. However, both were on different location.

 

Baekhyun feels numb from all the pain and hurt piling into him one by one. Beside him, Chanyeol bawls his eyes out as he clutches on Baekhyun’s shoulder for support. Despite their argument, Jongdae still attended their son’s funeral. Although, he kept on staring at Baekhyun for reasons unknown. Not that Baekhyun cares anymore. Only a few people came but even then, Baekhyun appreciated the peace and quiet. He’s not yet ready to accept reality, though. Baekhyun thinks that this is only just the beginning.

 

On the other hand, Kyungsoo could not contain the tears from coming when they slowly lowered the coffin. He’s grateful that Joonmyeon’s there, giving him the emotional support that he needs. Though he’s a bit worried because Joonmyeon did not even shed a tear on that day. He thinks that maybe the elder is trying to be strong for him. Throughout the whole thing, their hands never let go of each other. Because at that moment, Kyungsoo needs someone. He needs someone to stop himself from breaking any further.

 

That night, Baekhyun is surprised to see Jongdae enter his room – the guest room that Baekhyun currently camps in at their house. The man is wearing his white dress shirt underneath, tie loosened and black coat on top. Baekhyun furrows his brows. “What are you doing here?”

 

“I…” Jongdae pauses for a moment. “I just want to talk.” And then, he pulls out an envelope out of his coat pocket. Baekhyun immediately realizes what it was. He looks down and plays with his finger. One of the reason why he’s beyond tired lately was also because of this. The emotional damage between having lost his son and his marriage breaking apart stressed him so.

 

“Have you thought about it?”

 

“Yes.” Jongdae answers. “But I’m afraid I’m going to have to decline.”

 

Baekhyun furrows his brows. “What?”

 

“I’m not…” Jongdae pauses for a bit. “I don’t want to give up on this marriage, Baekhyun.”

 

Baekhyun bitterly scoffs. “Isn’t it too late for that?”

 

“Listen.” Baekhyun’s eyes went wide when Jongdae kneels in front of him all of the sudden, his hands on both knees, head down. “Baekhyun, please, please listen to me. You have no idea how I deeply regret every decision I have made. The misgivings and mistreatment I had given. Instead of a husband and a father, I treated the two of you as nothing but mere things. And it pains me to have realized all of this after my own son died.”

 

The sob that comes after that surprised him even more. “I’m sorry, Baekhyun.” Jongdae lifts his hands and pressed them both against his eyes. The tears slips through his fingers, dropping on the floor one by one. “I-I’m so sorry.”

 

Baekhyun mutes. This is the first time he saw Jongdae break down like this.

 

On the other side, Kyungsoo curls like a baby in Joonmyeon’s arms. Kyungsoo just had finished letting it all out and he’s now staring in a daze. The pain of his son’s memories lingering still in his mind, being replayed over and over. Kyungsoo presses his face against his husband’s chest.

 

“Jongin.” Joonmyeon murmurs. “Our baby boy’s in a good place now.” He caresses Kyungsoo’s soft raven locks and holds him close. “He’s in good hands now, darling. He’s probably having fun up there, you know? Think about it.”

 

“He is.” Kyungsoo sniffles. “Jongin’s… Jongin’s great with making friends.”

 

“He’s probably so popular up there, all the other angels must be swooning to his charms.” Hearing that made Kyungsoo chuckle softly.

 

“Yeah.”

 

Joonmyeon smiles and pressed his lips on the crown of his head. “We’re gonna be fine, darling. Everything’s going to be fine.”

 

Kyungsoo did not answer and just basks in the warmth that his husband is giving.

 

 

 

 

 

3 months passed by so quickly after that.

 

 

 

 

 

Baekhyun speed walks to the train station, a phone pressed on his ear as he tries to catch up with the last train from home. He looks around and curses softly. The clouds were already dark and there were no sign of stars showing up meaning it’s going to rain heavily. He lets out a frustrated sigh. “.”

 

“Hey, I told you to bring an umbrella.” Jongdae said. “Do you want me to pick you up?”

 

“I got it, don’t worry.” Baekhyun shifts the phone on his other ear. “Just please don’t blow up the kitchen like last time.”

 

“I’m just using the microwave.” There was a pause before Jongdae playfully groans. “Okay, okay… fine. I’m won’t, promise. Just be careful on going home, alright?”

 

“Okay, okay…” Baekhyun eyes went wide when the crowd immediately went in the train. He barely managed to get a grip on his phone when the device got thrown out away from him because some woman was so desperate to get inside without even thinking that she’s hurting people from around her. Baekhyun mutters a curse and ventures out.

 

Resulting in the train leaving him.

 

“, , no!” He has a hand on each side of his head as he helplessly watch the vehicle away. “Dammit.”

 

First, his phone is broken. Second, the train left him. What’s next?

 

The sky flashed a streak of lightning followed by thunder that startled Baekhyun.

 

Damn.

 

 

 

 

 

Kyungsoo hurriedly went inside the coffee shop that his friend, Luhan, owns and sniffs in the heavy scent of coffee and baked goods. He spotted Luhan up on the counter and waves his hand for Kyungsoo to come. Kyungsoo grins.

 

“You again? I’m sick of seeing your face over and over again.”

 

Luhan fake gasps and has a hand on his chest. “I’m hurt.” Kyungsoo grins and shakes his head, sitting in front of a stool on the counter.

 

It was really nice, the set-up that Luhan made in his coffee shop. It looks like an average local bar that actually serves coffee and treats to people coming. The elder said that customers have a thing for unique and different styles. This is one of the reasons why his coffee shop is always busy. Another reason is because the owner is eye-candy himself.

 

“So how was Spain with hubby?” Luhan asks after giving him his usual cup. “Had fun?”

 

“Yeah.” Kyungsoo looks down on his cup. It was supposed to be a trip for three. “I had fun.” He hesitates for a moment before breaking his silence. Luhan raised a brow. “Luhan, I… About Joonmyeon…”

 

“Is there something wrong?”

 

“No, it’s just…” Kyungsoo sighs. “He’s acting weird.”

 

Joonmyeon clings to him too much. It’s not that he doesn’t like it, but it’s borderline crossing away from normal. Kyungsoo needs to tell his husband everywhere he goes, accepting his calls every minute. Joonmyeon gets angry when he’s with someone else despite it being a longtime family friend and the anger that Joonmyeon is sporting is beyond terrifying. It’s like his husband h

Please log in to read the full chapter