Prompt 86 - a

Baeksoo Collection
Please log in to read the full chapter

prompt: kyungsoo entered the world of a book 

word count:  5,575

 

Kyungsoo looked at his surroundings in dread. The smell of burning skin, the sound of swords clashing and hearing the war cries from a distance, he is feeling agitated, scared. But this is a battlefield and in war, there is no place for cowards. He takes a deep breath and unsheathes his sword and screams at the top of his lungs.

 

|| Pause

 

Let’s rewind a bit.

 

Originally, it wasn’t supposed to be like this. He’s a normal single father working part-time at a convenience store and full-time at a white-collared job. So how did he become a war general?

 

<<

 

“Wait, this book again?”

 

“Don’t complain. It’s my favourite.”

 

Kyungsoo scratches his head. “Baby, I love you a lot but don’t you think this kind of story is a bit too…” he furrows his brows. “…cliché? Like, alright…” He arranges his legs so that he’s sitting cross-legged in front of his 12-year old daughter, Do Minsu, looking at him patiently. “I get that kids your age are a er for romance novels but it’s….”

 

“It’s a romantic story, Daddy!” Minsu squeals. “And I love how the prince falls head over heels to the Count’s son even if circumstances are against them.”

 

The story, Kyungsoo recounts, is a story about the Count’s illegitimate son. He has three siblings, all vying for the position of the next Count on their household to represent the royal family’s court. His mother is a lowly maid, an outcome of a moment of lust more on the Count’s part (it’s the part that Kyungsoo hates and skips the details during story time.) Due to bloodline and law, the Count is not allowed to neglect their kin, legitimate or illegitimate, so the two were taken in the household. And thus, the start of the protagonist’s cruel fate from Chapters 1-5.

 

However, the protagonist is gifted with natural born talents (because that’s how all protagonists are.) When his mother, and only ally, died of sickness, he was all alone to fend for himself so it was survival to the fittest. Hardwork, perseverance, patience and a lot of fists clenching chapters later, the protagonist was able to climb into the ranks and make him known to the court, being the one who helped the elders and senators to avoid casualties like war and famine.

 

Of course this story is a love story so the turning point of the whole romance scene is the meeting between the protagonist and the royal prince. It was at court and a debate is being held for the war strategy of the barbarians at the east. The protagonist fell in love at first sight right there and then on the war table but the royal prince would fall in love around three chapters later at the ball held on the first victory of the war. The lines were so cheesy, Kyungsoo can only cringe and try not to gag as he read the dialogues to his daughter.

 

But of course, the main reason why he hates this story…

 

“You’re just only mad because you have the same name as the villain, Daddy.” Minsu teases.

 

Ah, yes. Count Kyungsoo of House Solidus is like those typical and classic villains. He got engaged with the royal prince due to a treaty and his love for the man is borderline obsession. He will do anything to stop the blossoming love between the two to the point of even committing treason. And during that part when the royal prince ignored his existence even after the wedding was like the best feeling ever (even if he sympathizes a bit with the Count.) However, he does notice that all the man wants is attention from the person he loves the most. If perhaps the royal prince would have returned those feelings, does the story take a turn for the better for this character?

 

Either way, execution was his fate. Definitely befitting for someone who attempts to spill information to the enemy. It was an act of treason, after all. But maybe what made Kyungsoo pity the man is at the part when he found out that the person he loves the most ordering his death.

 

“I don’t know.” Kyungsoo hums. “But how about we try another book instead? Like the little mermaid or Cinderella or something with a happy ending.”

 

“Daddy!”

 

“Alright, alright. Fine.” He opens the book and lets his daughter settle in on his chest as soon as he lays down on their bed. “Let’s pick up where we left off.”

 

 

---

 

 

Kyungsoo sits in front of a few documents on his table. His wife of 20-years is filing for joint-custody, something that irks him after abandoning them for another man 10 years her junior and shouting that she isn’t significant in her life. Well, the love between them already diminished a long time ago – long before the whole cheating fiasco and divorce – so he doesn’t care on what happens with her. Though Minsu’s custody is a whole different story.

 

There is no way that he’ll let that witch get back in Minsu’s life after what she said to their – his – daughter. But he’s going to admit it, he’s not sure if he could even support the two of them with how his job is going especially after his ty boss just lessen the company’s payment but added a load of work. It was like the witch knows when and how to step in.

 

“ it.” He clamps his eyes shut and opens one eye.

 

11:59AM – the clock reads.

 

“If only I have a load of money. Maybe I could even bribe those judges to trash down that joint-custody claim.” He ruffles his hair and sighs.

 

With a groan of defeat, Kyungsoo buries himself on his arms and closes his eyes, wishing that things would be different.

 

 

---

 

 

“My lord, please do wake up. We’re already behind the schedule.”

 

Kyungsoo groans and slowly opens his eyes, sight blurry. The dizziness he feels is like that time when he fell -down on the slippery floor all thanks to Minsu’s antics on spreading all of the soap bubbles and shampoo on the floor. Wait, no, this feeling is much worse than that. He supports his head and looks up.

 

“My lord?”

 

Wait, what?

 

His eyes snap wide and he instinctively leans back, arms holding against the table looking shocked and surprised as ever. There in front of him, is a man with slick black hair, suit all prim and proper and his face all scrunched in worry. He looks like a butler but aren’t butlers only for royalty and the rich? Kyungsoo’s hands drop down on his chest and he stands up with a gasp. What the hell is up with his clothes? Black uniform, white slacks and dark shiny shoes. Is he on a marching band?

 

“Are you alright, my Lord?” , he almost forgot about the old man. “You look pale. Are you sick?”

 

Yes, he is. He’s definitely sick. Probably delusional. Must be the stress accumulating since the court hearing for the custody request is getting closer, he doesn’t know. Right now, it’s like he’s jumped on a fairy tale all dressed up waiting for a happy ending. Kyungsoo raised his brows and shakes his head, mustering up the best smile he can give. “Oh, uh – yes, I think so.” He his already chapped lips, trying to swallow the lump in his throat. “Um, can I – can I have some time for myself? I need to think.”

 

“Then shall I be cancelling your attendance to the ball later?”

 

Ball? Like Beauty and the Beast kind of ball, wait. He shakes his hand politely. “Please do.”

 

The butler looks confused but it’s mostly all out of concern. “Very well.” He gives a short bow. “If you need anything, I’ll be right around the corner. Please do tell me if something’s wrong or if there’s something you need.” He gives him a small smile and then leaves, opening one of the two huge doors he just noticed right now, closing it with a soft thud.

 

At that exact moment, he almost collapsed. Instead, he ran to the closes mirror he can find. His hands finds his face, thank God he still looks like himself. Although the hairdo is a bit different, he remembers cutting his hair last month but now it’s a bit long, a little curly and it’s surprisingly soft. It looks like everything is a dream. Well, it feels like a dream so maybe it is? He’s not sure. But if it is, he might as do a little bit of rummaging or exploring.

 

He takes a huge breath and sighs. “Alright, Kyungsoo. This is all just a dream. You got this.”

 

it.

 

----

 

During his exploration, he found out a few things. He’s kind of like royalty here and he is a son of a Count from the Solidus family. He has an older brother who is a War Doctor General named Seungsoo (and by coincidence he also has the same name as his estranged older brother in real life) and his parents are both of royal factions, the Empress side.

 

When he looked at the room he’s staying, there are a lot of clothes. Like crazy wardrobes of suits and royal garbs, colourful garbs to be exact. It hurts his eyes and the sight almost makes him cry. With a frown he gently closes the closet (the fourth wardrobe he opened today) and then moves on to the west corner of the large room. And wow, he might have expected it but what’s up with the jewelleries? Diamond necklaces, rings, gold earrings and gems – lots of them all hanging and kept in boxes. Okay, he gets it. This guy is the real deal – filthy rich is definitely an understatement too.

 

Kyungsoo looked around the room until he’s able to settle on the bed, staring at particularly nowhere and with only one question hanging on his head.

 

Where the hell is he?

 

“Oh, my son!” He hears a faint shout at behind the walls. Then all of the sudden, those two huge intimidating walls were opened without warning, startling him. It’s an old man with long white-greyish hair and beard like that wizard Minsu wanted to read for her.

 

He stills. Minsu.

 

Kyungsoo thoughts snapped back to reality when he feels his face being squished. “Oh, my poor boy. Are you feeling alright? I heard from Jongin that you’re not going to the ball!” He furrows his brows in confusion. Do rich people really love going on dance parties? Is it even a big deal to begin with? “Is there something the matter? You look rather healthy to me. Would you like me to get you something? Kyungsoo, tell me.” His father frowns. “Did that prince said something again to you?”

 

Hold on. Slowly, Kyungsoo is piecing everything together. The family tree, lavish room and things screaming vain and materialistic. A father who gives everything to his son, a butler who cater to his every need and follows his whims and orders without a word, especially the name of said butler, Jongin. Then there’s his name. Is he? No, that’s not possible.

 

“That prince...” He finds himself asking. “Is he perhaps, Prince Baekhyun, crown prince and second son of your Majesty, the king?”

 

His father looks at him, confused but overjoyed of being answered by his son. “Why, yes, of course!” He huffs. “And he is also your fiancé, mind you.”

 

If possible, his eyeballs would fall and roll down the floor in a heartbeat. His father does not seem to notice his inner panic and turmoil. “And don’t fret, I know you wanted to go on with the marriage immediately but we would need to have arrangements and approvals from the court. Even then, I swear I shall make him yours.” He gives his cheek a loving and quick pat. “Anything for my favourite son.”

 

---

 

It took a while but when everything cleared out of the room, Kyungsoo succumbs in mid-panic and despair. He’s in a fairy tale – his daughter’s favourite fairy tale novel. If everything is happening as order of the story then that means he’s at the part where the crown prince and he hasn’t tied the knot yet – may around Chapter 16. So the next part should be the assembly or meeting of the war with the Barbarians at the South. If he’s inside the book, then the only way he can go back is to get the story to end. How does the story end, exactly? Right, of course.

 

When Crown Prince Baekhyun and the protagonist of the novel get married and live happily ever after. But wait, does that mean he’s destined to die? Kyungsoo shakes his head, no. That won’t happen because there’s a chance that if he dies, he’s not going to come back to his reality and be with his daughter again. Plus, he still has an on-going battle there. Dying here in this dream-like world might mean death in real life and it would only result in giving up his daughter to that dreadful witch. Kyungsoo’s jaw clenched. Not going to happen in a million years.

Please log in to read the full chapter