Prompt 21 - c

Baeksoo Collection
Please log in to read the full chapter

Prompt: part (3/3) of prompt 21

Word Count: 4175

 

When Jongdae and Baekhyun were out of earshot, Luhan grins at Kyungsoo. “So how’s Minseok, by the way? The last time I heard about him was his marriage with this Chinese guy. I don’t know the details. It’s been a long while since we last talked.”

 

“Ah,” Kyungsoo nods. “They’ve recently had a daughter, I think? From a surrogate.”

 

“Surrogacy seems pretty common nowadays.” Luhan hums. “I was actually thinking about it, you know. When Jongdae asked me if we can have a baby together. I would like to adopt, too but Jongdae’s really fond of having a child that’s blood related to us.” He leans his chin on his knuckles then grins at the younger. “What about you?”

 

“I like adoption better.” Kyungsoo answers. “Giving an orphan a family, it’s what I want. Even if I married a woman, I’d still like to adopt. It’s been planted on my mind ever since I was a child.”

 

Luhan is quiet for a moment before speaking. “I bet you’re going to be a great dad, Kyungsoo-sshi.”

 

“I hope I will be.” Kyungsoo smiles.

 

“Anyways, what’s taking them so long?” Luhan looks at the direction of the kitchen and stood up. “Maybe those bastards are already taking an early taste. Dammit, I’ll get my brandy. That will teach them not to mess with me. Stay here, okay?” Luhan smiles at him before leaving the dining table to get the bottle in the master’s bedroom.

 

Kyungsoo does as he was told. But then the stupid marinara sauce decided to spill on his fingers when he tried to scoop them in his pasta, so he has no choice but to go to the kitchen to wash his hands. Thinking that Luhan won’t be back soon, he stood up on his chair and went to the kitchen. He was expecting to see Jongdae and Baekhyun sharing a quick drink, but there were no people in the place.

 

Kyungsoo blinks twice and washes his hands quietly. Only when he turned off the faucet did he hear small voices coming from the outside. He turns to the right and sees a door and as he ventures forward, the voices became clearer and louder.

 

“Hey, are you really sure about breaking it off at the party? Because it’s either you’re a great actor or you fell in love with Do Kyungsoo.”

 

Breaking it off? What does he mean by – his thoughts were cut off abruptly when he hears a familiar voice that sounds cocky and confident.

 

“Did it work, though? Am I really convincing enough?”

 

Kyungsoo froze.

 

“Oh, god. You’re awesome, Baek. You did not just fooled me, but you fooled the whole world in believing that you’re in love with Do Kyungsoo.”

 

“Yeah, I’m great, aren’t I? You should see what I’m about to do at the engagement party.”

 

Kyungsoo feels his head turning. He can’t see straight and his chest is clenching in the most painful way ever.

 

“Oh, god. Don’t worry, man. I’m going to get it all on tape for you.”

 

Kyungsoo could not stand it anymore and left silently. He sees Luhan just in time he enters the dining room once again. “Where have you been?” Luhan grins at him as he pops the bottle of brandy. “You want one?”

 

“I was just in the kitchen. Stupid marinara sauce.” Kyungsoo slumps on his chair, empties the soda in his glass and extends it on Luhan’s direction. “Fill her up.” Luhan frowns for a moment then pours him an exact amount, humming in surprise when Kyungsoo immediately downs it before wanting more. Not wanting to notice his state, he smiles at the elder. “Your brandy tastes great. Can I have more?”

 

Luhan, feeling a surge of pride, gives him more.

 

By the time Baekhyun and Jongdae came back with the promised wine, Kyungsoo and Luhan were already feeling a little out of it due to the liquor they were feasting. Kyungsoo, however, is the most sober out of the two. “Jongdae, baby!” Luhan slurs. “Hi!” he immediately attached himself to said male. “I missed you, what took you so long?”

 

Jongdae then noticed the bottle Luhan was holding. “Oh, .” He recognizes the bottle as Luhan’s precious brandy that they secretly finished during a hard drinking session. Not wanting to anger his husband, Jongdae replaced the contents with vodka. That explains the quick drunkenness.

 

Baekhyun laughs at this and noticed Kyungsoo’s quiet demeanor. But thinking that this is nothing, he ignores it and clings to his fiancée not noticing the way the younger tensed when his arm were around his shoulder.

 

 

 

 

 

Kyungsoo forces a smile at him when they arrive at his place. And he hates himself for finding Baekhyun so breathtaking when the latter mirrors his expression with a genuine one. Slowly, he wraps his arms around his neck and Kyungsoo wishes that Baekhyun doesn’t notice how he stiffens at the sudden affection.

 

“Hey, Baek.”

 

He can feel soft breaths on his cheek and when he feels his heart skip a beat at the feeling, Kyungsoo adds it to the list of why he resents himself. “Hmm?”

 

Closure. It was there and then did Kyungsoo got reminded of why he agreed in all of this. He will put an end to this, he thinks. To find an answer – even if it’s not the one he seeks, at least he got an answer.

 

“I love you.” He whispers against his ear. “So much.” Baekhyun pulls away from the hug and looks at his eyes. “I thought, my feelings for you back then were gone when I left. I really thought –“ , words were failing him now. “ – and I tried hating you but I –“ He ended up closing his eyes and sighs because he can’t let Baekhyun know he’s this close to crying. “I… just can’t. I love, you really.”

 

It was a sad truth. Because Kyungsoo just realized it recently that no matter how hard Baekhyun breaks his heart and hurt him, Kyungsoo still can’t picture himself hating the elder.

 

Baekhyun blushed heavily at those words. “I… love you, too.”

 

Kyungsoo is glad, he thinks to himself, he’s glad even if what he’s hearing is a lie.

 

 

 

 

 

 

The aftermath of the engagement party is a mess.

 

The headlines of the news is as expected, about them, and Baekhyun drowns himself at the words of pity and criticism that were thrown to both Kyungsoo and him. The video of Kyungsoo’s speech replayed and it was only then when a soft choked sob escapes his lips did the TV suddenly turned off.

 

“You’re drowning yourself in misery.” Jongdae sighs. “Stop torturing yourself.”

 

“He knows, Jongdae.” Baekhyun whispers. “He knows.” When he sees Luhan at approaching him with a cup of hot choco, Baekhyun delves deeper in his cocoon blanket and hides at the elder. He doesn’t want to see Luhan’s pitiful look and hearing words like I told you so. Because as much as he doesn’t want to admit it, he was right. Because Kyungsoo isn’t the only one hurting because of the stupid thing he did.

 

It hurts him, too. It hurts him a lot.  

 

“Leave him be, Jongdae.” Luhan said after setting the cup down on the coffee table in front of him. “If he wants to torture himself, so be it. For now, give him some space, Dae.” He wraps an arm around his husband’s shoulder and leads him to the dining room. “Leave him alone for a while.”

 

Jongdae sighs. “Fine.”

 

When the couple were gone, Baekhyun releases a shaky sigh and opens the TV once again.

 

 

 

 

 

On the other hand, Kyungsoo gets out of the car and takes off his shades, staring at the house he hasn’t been in for a long while. Seeing the place brought nostalgic memories along with the bitter ones. Now that he thought about it, the promised time they will meet, it never did happen. He wonders if he still remembers.

 

“Kyungsoo!” Kyungsoo turns his head to the direction of the voice and smiles.

 

“Joonmyeon.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

“What’s he doing here?” Chanyeol hissed when he sees him sitting in one of the couches in their living room. “What is he doing here, hyung? How could he be here when –“

 

“Shh… Go back to the garden, Yeol. I’ll take everything from here.” Joonmyeon presses his lips against the taller’s mouth and gently gives the male a push to the opposite direction. Kyungsoo remained seated and observed the two.

 

He remembers Chanyeol, the kid living next door to Joonmyeon. He remembers the kid as whiny and clingy to Joonmyeon. He doesn’t understood then why Chanyeol hates him then. And seeing what’s happening now, he knows why. Kyungsoo smiles at this even when Chanyeol scowls at his direction before leaving. Joonmyeon sighs. “That kid, really.”

 

“Well, I would act like that too if I see my lover’s ex sitting in their couch.”

 

“Ah,” Joonmyeon blushes but waves his hand in dismissal. “No, that – uh… Chanyeol’s still seventeen, you know and –“

 

“Don’t worry, I won’t tell.” Kyungsoo grins. “I know you’re not that kind of person.”

 

“Thank you.” Joonmyeon sits down on the couch in front of him then clears his throat. “I heard about what happened last night. You broke the engagement, why is that?”

 

“You know Baekhyun.” Kyungsoo chuckles bitterly. “He loves to play games. And no matter how fun these games are, I don’t want any part of it. So I broke it all. I don’t care about the consequences. Even my father is infuriated at what I’ve done.” He sighs. “It’s going to tone down as time passed. Since the issue is still fresh, I’ll just have to stay at my old place for the meantime.”  

 

“If you are, we’ve been taking care of it.” Joonmyeon said quietly.

 

“I can assure you that nothing’s going to change even when I’m back.” Kyungsoo said. “You can just pretend that I’m not there.”

 

“Once in my life, all I can see is you.” Joonmyeon whispers. “Ignoring you, I think that it’s impossible.”

 

“Well, as long as it won’t reach to the point where Chanyeol will kill me, then it’s fine with me.”

 

They both laughed at the silliness of it.

 

“So did you finally have the closure that you want?”

Please log in to read the full chapter