A Bar of Chocolate, A Sip of Coffee, A Glimpse of You

SaiDa: Compilation of Stories
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Welcome to Dahyun's!"

 

That very same greeting everytime I walk into the cafe, the very same aroma of coffee hit my nose as I step in, and the very same smile that greet me everytime I stand in front of the counter.

 

"As usual?" She asked, looking at me with the very same smile, a very bright smile along with enthusiast stare. I nodded, "but today, I would love to have it with a slice of blackforest cake with a cherry on top"

 

"Sure. Let me repeat, one Ice Americano, tall, less sugar and one slice of Blackforest cake with a cherry on top."

 

Again, I nodded.

 

"Because you're my favorite regular customer, everything on me." She said, while turn around heading to the coffee machine and start brewing some coffee.

 

"Really? But, you know you don't have to do that." I concerned.

 

"It's okay. Why don't you pay it with friendship instead?" She stand in front of me, behind the counter.

 

"Well, is it enough?"

 

"Nothing more value than a friendship, they say." She offer her hand, for a handshake which I gladly take it.

 

"Dahyun, Kim Dahyun."

 

I know.

 

"Sana, Minatozaki Sana."

 

-

 

"Your coffee, and your cake." Dahyun put the plate and the coffee at the table where I was seated. I look at her and smile, mouthed the word 'thank you' and look back at the cake. I take the cherry and put it aside.

 

"Mind if I join you?" She asked, politely. I smile and nodded, a sign of approval. She pull the chair and sit comfortably.

 

"I noticed you always came here alone. Are you student or working?" She asked.

 

"I'm still a student. I love to be alone sometimes, I mean, you're not disturbing me at all if that's what you're thinking now but it's nice to be alone from your circle of friends. Just you and stranger, or in my case, my new friend." I answered and try to keep her around. 

 

She just nodded and smiling. She pull out a bar of chocolate from her apron's pocket, and tear to open it. She look at me, while pointing the chocolate to me, "Do you want to have a bite?"

 

I shake my head while pointing at my cake. She just smile and take a bit from the chocolate.

 

"Don't you think it's funny when you open a cafe, become a barista but you actually can't drink coffee, or in fact you hate it?" She asked, suddenly.

 

"Are you talking about you?" I asked back, confused. She nodded.

 

"I can make coffee, I love the art of coffee, the aroma, the patient, the final touch of it." She answered. I have to agree with her. There's something about coffee that is beautiful. I can hear she chuckled.

 

"Sorry for the sudden confusion talk. It just, I feel like I can trust you. You know, that comfortable feeling with someone you just met." She explain. I nodded.

 

"It's okay but may I know why you hate coffee when you love the art of it?"  She just smile, before put down the chocolate that she hold, munching the lst few bit that remaining inside .

 

"Because of it bitterness." She said. Irony.

 

"You eat chocolate. Chocolate is bitter too. Plus, you know you can always put more syrup or even sugar for your coffee." I said, explaining the fact.

 

"Dark chocolate is bitter, yes it is true. But not milk chocolate." She pointed at the wrapper or the candy bar that she hold.

 

"What's the point of drinking coffee when you put lots of sugar and syrup to the point you can't taste the bitterness anymore?" She continued. Damn, this girl is weird.

 

"Same with chocolate then. What's the point of eating the c

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter