Angel: Amnesia

Fated to Meet You

By the time the machine had stopped beeping, Youngsaeng's breathing was even fainter than before. There was slight rise and sink of his chest but it was weak. The green lines barely moved but it was enough to know that he was still alive.

All of the others went home for the night but Hyunjoong stayed by Youngsaeng's side, wanting to be the first one Youngsaeng saw when he woke up and be the first one to see the boy wake up. But no matter how hard he tried, he couldn't stay awake and fell asleep on the couch.

A few hours later, he was awakened by a weird light coming from the outside of his eyes. He stirred and as he opened his eyes, he was blinded by a white glow. When his eyes got used to the light, he saw a girl standing at the bedside, wearing a white silken dress that trailed behind her with large wings coming out from her back, her long wavy black hair covering her face, preventing from seeing her facial features. She had one hand on Youngsaeng's forehead and the other on his stomach.

Hyunjoong began to worry. Did this angel come to save Youngsaeng or take him away?

He slowly stood up and approached the angel, placing his hand on her shoulder. He expect her to disappear because he touched her but she didn't. The girl stood her ground, her hands still on the boy, and she angled her head a little bit to face him. She wasn't smiling, actually, far from it and her eyes were cold.

"Th-thank you for coming..." he stuttering, mesmerized by this beautiful girl and worried that she was here to take his life. "Please save him."

Suddenly, she was gone like teleportation, like electricity. He heard a whisper at his ear. "That has already been done."

Without warning, he sensed movement from the boy lying on the bed.

"Youngsaeng," he whispered and took his hand, holding it up again, feeling tears start to boil in his eyes. "Youngsaeng... The angel recognized your kindness... You're saved, Youngsaeng. You're saved..."

As he shed tears while clutching onto the boy's hand, he felt the grip tighten slightly. Youngsaeng was stirring.

"Youngsaeng," he murmured. "Youngsaeng."

The otter's eyes slowly opened, as if waking up from a long sleep. His gaze landed on Hyunjoong and he opened his mouth to speak in a hoarse voice. "Hyung...?"

Tears fell even more rapidly as Hyunjoong nodded and answered. "Neh... Neh, it's Hyunjoong. It's me."

For the first time, Youngsaeng smiled lightly just for him. The otter grasped Hyunjoong's hand a little tighter.

"You're here..." he whispered. "You're safe... Thank goodness..."

Hyunjoong could barely hear him but was shocked when he heard what he said. Even as he was near death, Youngsaeng was still relieved to see that he was alive.

Hyunjoong felt him go limp. His eyes closed again and was, once again, in a deep sleep. He needed rest in order to recover. Hyunjoong sighed heavily and fell back onto the couch.

For the rest of the night, he stayed up and sat beside Youngsaeng. In the early morning, Kyujong, Jungmin and Hyungjun came in and saw Hyunjoong fast asleep at Youngsaeng's bedside, still holding onto Youngsaeng's hand.

"Hyung...?" Jungmin murmured, shaking the older boy.

Hyunjoong didn't wake up and Jungmin was about to shake him even harder but Kyujong stopped him. "Don't. Hyung must be tired. He probably stayed up the whole night. Let him sleep for a while longer."

Hyungjun almost began to cry again but he stopped himself by biting his lip, clenching his hand around Youngsaeng's arm. "Hyung... Wake up... Stop making us worry so much. Wake up already."

They saw the boy sleeping beside Youngsaeng start to move a little.

"He's waking up," Kyujong whispered.

Hyunjoong opened his eyes and looked around. "Eo, you guys are here?"

"You don't sound happy," Jungmin remarked, raising his eyebrow.

"Why would I be?" Hyunjoong questioned as he stood up. "Just what was last night about? Just what were you two doing?"

"If you hurt Ms. Kim, you would be the one going to jail," Kyujong pointed out. "She's an important figure in Korea right now. Do anything to her and you will be paying the price."

Jungmin nodded, agreeing.

"Anyways, is there any progress in recovery? Your mother went way overboard last night," Jungmin remarked.

"Youngsaeng woke up once last night," he announced.

"What? Really?" Hyungjun exclaimed in surprise. "Why didn't you call us? Were you there?"

"Did something happen to cause him to wake up? He was in really bad condition when we last saw him," Kyujong commented.

"An angel..." Hyunjoong murmured. "An angel came and saved him."

"Hyung... I think you need to get your eyes checked..." Jungmin murmured in puzzlement.

"No, there was definitely an angel here. She healed him," Hyunjoong explained. "I know because I touched her shoulder. She was definitely here."

"Were there any other strange happenings?" Hyungjun asked.

"No... not really."

The door opened again and in came Dr. Jung.

"So, how is he?" Dr. Jung asked, walking calmly towards them.

"Shouldn't we be the ones asking you?" Jungmin questioned with a raised eyebrow.

"Well, Hyunjoong-ssi has been here the whole night. He would know more about Youngsaeng's condition," Dr. Jung pointed out.

"He woke up once," Hyunjoong told the doctor. "He woke up, talked to me for a minute or so and then fell back asleep."

"He, is indeed, recovering well," Dr. Jung praised with a nod. "It's a miracle how he's already woken up just after the operation. We can take the mask off now that he's woken up."

He turned the machine off and lifted the face mask, putting it away. They noticed that Youngsaeng began to stir once the mask was taken off.

"He's waking up," Dr. Jung said and saw the boy open his eyes and turn his head to look at them.

"Water..." Youngsaeng started with a hoarse voice. "Water, please..."

Jungmin immediately ran out to get a cup of water for Youngsaeng. Hyungjun pounced onto Youngsaeng, wrapping his arms tightly around the boy, tears falling like two mini waterfalls.

"I'm so glad... I'm so glad..." he hiccupped in relief. "I was so scared..."

Unexpectedly, Youngsaeng seemed to have no intention of hugging back the younger boy. Instead, the boys all seemed to see a confused expression on the injured boy's face.

"Y-Youngsaeng hyung...?" Hyungjun slowly sniffed, pulling away from the older boy, staring deep into Youngsaeng's eyes, trying to find a sign of recognition.

Youngsaeng furrowed his eyebrows. "Who... are you...?"

Kyujong gasped and Hyunjoong gasped in surprise. Dr. Jung stood aside and observed.

"H-Hyung! It's me!" Hyungjun stammered frantically. "It's me! Hyungjun! Your bestfriend! Don't you remember me? Please say you're acting. Say this a lie. Hyung!"

"What's happening, doctor?" Hyunjoong asked Dr. Jung.

"It seems that the actions made by your mother last night caused damage to Youngsaeng's brain and now he has amnesia," Dr. Jung explained calmly.

"This is not permanent, right?"

"It can be," Dr. Jung replied. "Usually, these types of amnesia are temporary and after a while, they regain their memories but there were times when patients never regained their memories and ended up starting a new life."

Hyunjoong rushed forward to Youngsaeng. "Youngsaeng, do you remember me? I'm Hyunjoong. Kim Hyunjoong."

Youngsaeng stared blankly at the older boy and shook his head. "Really... Who are you guys? I don't recognize any of you? Where's Eunmi?"

Eunmi. How did he know his stepsister?

"Eunmi?" Kyujong echoed.

"I don't know what's happening," Hyunjoong confessed. "Does he know Eunmi?"

"Let's just hope that he regains his memory soon," Jungmin commented. "Too many questions right now will confuse him."

Hyunjoong sat down on a stool in front of Youngsaeng. "Do you remember how you got here?"

The boy thought for a bit but shook his head. "All I remember is a huge explosion in front of me. As if a bomb was set off and I was in the middle of it."

Hyunjoong whipped his head around and looked at Dr. Jung. "He remembers a little bit."

"Do you remember anything else?" Kyujong asked gently.

Youngsaeng furrowed his eyebrows and closed his eyes, trying to remember what had happened or anything that had to do with him. An explosion. The number of an elevator going up. The click of a gun. BAM.

Without warning, Youngsaeng yelped in agony as his head suddenly started to sharply ache.

"Oh my, are you okay?" Jungmin explained in surprise, helping Youngsaeng relieve the headache.

After the boy recovered, Hyunjoong requested again. "Can you try again?"

Once again, Youngsaeng tried to dig into his memories and remembered the same things but once again, when he hurt the gun shot, it was as if he was shot in the head. A sudden wave of sharp stabs filled his head. He shrieked as the pain had grown worse than the first time. Beads of sweat dripped down and the agony faded away. He opened his eyes, panting.

"Does your head still hurt?" Jungmin asked.

"Can we ask you to try again?" Kyujong interrogated.

But this time, Youngsaeng quickly shook his head. "It hurts... Everytime I try to remember, it hurts."

Hyungjun turned to Dr. Jung. "If his body is preventing him from remembering, then what are we going to do?"