Amnesia: Part 3

Fated to Meet You

In the evening, Kyujong, Jungmin and Hyungjun arrived at the hospital. Hyunjoong was still there, talking to Dr. Jung.

"When we went to the aquarium, Youngsaeng remembered all of the animals' names," he reported to Dr. Jung. "He just spoke to them like normal, as if nothing happened."

"How much does he remember?"

"He regained his memory up to the point when his friend passed away," Hyunjoong said.

"He doesn't remember anything past that?"

Hyunjoong shook his head sadly. "No, I'm afraid not."

"Well, his aunt is coming so maybe he'll recognize her since she's been with him almost all his life," Dr. Jung reminded.

"Wait," a voice came from the door.

Dr. Jung and Hyunjoong looked to see Kyujong, Jungmin and Hyungjun standing at the doorway. Kyujong stepped in and pulled a collar out of his pocket. "Youngsaeng gave this to me for safekeeping in the elevator after he knocked hyung unconscious."

"I-Isn't that... HJ's collar?" Hyunjoong stuttered in disbelief.

"He wanted me to give it back to him when I saw him again," Kyujong explained calmly. "Maybe this will trigger something in his memory."

"Let's wait until he wakes up," Dr. Jung suggested. "He needs some rest as he was out for the most of the day."

"Out? Where?"

"Hyunjoong brought him to a few places he thought would have the most impact," Dr. Jung filled them in. "It seems like the places recovered his memory from the beginning of the school year but nothing about his past or the present."

"Dr. Jung!" a voice from the hallway called.

"Oh, someone's calling me. I have to go," the doctor urgently said and hurried out the door.

Hyunjoong and the others poked their heads out the door to see the doctor and a few other nurses and doctors heading to the emergency operation room. Another person was badly hurt. They saw four other boys running through the halls towards the emergency operation room with desperate expressions.

"Wow, I bet that was just like us," Jungmin murmured. "I feel sorry for them..."

"It's hard to stand around while one of your best friends is near death," Kyujong muttered. "We just experienced the feeling."

Hyungjun nodded. "I really hope Youngsaeng hyung remembers us soon... It's hard to go to school without him with me. I just feel like a part of me is missing without him."

Jungmin brought the young brunette into his arms and comforted him by patting his back. "It's okay. He will definitely regain his memory somehow."

The baby began to sob into Jungmin's shirt, soaking it. Hyunjoong sighed and Kyujong looked Hyungjun with sorrowful eyes.

"Hyunjoong hyung," he began in a whisper.

"Mm?" was the reply.

"Do you remember that time when you lost your father?"

"Don't even remind me of that moment I found out," Hyunjoong grumbled. "It was hell for me. I could feel and hear my heart crash onto the ground and shatter."

"And that's probably how you felt when I told you that Youngsaeng was dead, right?"

"What's your point?"

"It's amazing how your feelings had developed in just a year with that boy," Kyujong murmured with a faint smile. "He brought you a happiness that Jungmin and I could've never brought you, one that we never even thought of bringing you."

"No, I always have fun with you guys."

"You laughed with us, you shared you anger with us, we went and met girls together, we drank together and got drunk together but..." Kyujong faded off. "What Youngsaeng gave you wasn't that type of fun."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"I heard you shouting at your mom the other day. You said that just being near Youngsaeng made you happy and being away from him made you miss him and want to see him. Hyung, he's that light that the end of the tunnel."

"I... really still don't get what you're trying to say..." Hyunjoong said slowly, clueless.

The younger boy sighed. "It's okay if you don't understand now. You will surely understand later about what I meant."

Hyunjoong chuckled and leaned on the doorframe. "Yeah, I guess it'll come with time. I'm just too stupid to understand it right now."

"Pabo."

"Ya! It'd rude to call your hyung dumb," Hyunjoong scolded.

"Pabo. Pabo. Pabo."

"Ya!!! Stop it!!!"