Life of an Idol: Part 2

Fated to Meet You

On that night that Youngsaeng was forced to become YS's replacement, the rest of SS501 showed him the dorm that they lived together in.

"You usually sleep with HJ," KJ told him, leading him into a room without a bed.

"Where's the bed?"

"You two sleep on the floor on a mattress."

Nodding, Youngsaeng asked him to show him the bathroom.

"But what about my towels and my toothbrush?" the young boy asked with concern.

"We'll provide you with those," HJL assured as he bent down to the drawer and pulled out an extra towel, face towel, and a toothbrush. "You can share our toothpaste."

"Gangsahamnida," Youngsaeng murmured humbly as he bowed and entered the washroom to begin washing up. "Do I borrow YS's clothes?"

JM nodded. "You can anything you want with the clothes. He doesn't seem hesitant in leaving you with us anyway."

After washing up, Youngsaeng went to the room in which YS slept in and saw HJ lying there with his blanket tightly wrapped around him. Youngsaeng climbed onto the mattress beside him and lay there flatly, not knowing how to sleep.

"HJ hyung," he began. "Are you asleep?"

"Hmm?" was the response.

"Why do you think YS hyung suddenly wanted to experience a normal life?" Youngsaeng asked quietly. "It's not like he's never been a teenager before."

"He's been one," HJ replied, turning to he was face to face with Youngsaeng. "But he wasn't a normal one. By the time he became a highschooler, he was already a trainee and was not allowed to be free, to date, or hang out with friends after school due to training. When he found you, he wanted to experience the life you were living since you look a lot like him."

"He must be really having fun right now, then," Youngsaeng remarked.

"He might be. I understand how he feels. Everyone in SS501 knows how he feels so we don't really mind. It's just going to be a little while. Anyways, we got to meet you and we'll be able to get to know you well," HJ chuckled as he patted Youngsaeng's arm playfully.

Youngsaeng nodded with a slight smile. "Thanks, I'll work hard."

"You have a lot to learn," HJ told him. "I'll just tell you. There's going to be close to 30 songs in our concert and you'll have to learn all the choreography and lyrics. YS is the lead vocalist in the group and he's really good at singing. When you listen to his songs, you'll understand."

"I have a lot to work on, huh," Youngsaeng huffed. "I got to thank that guy for making me do this."

HJ laughed. "Yeah, I guess so. After this, you'll pretty much all of our songs since we're singing from the very beginning of our career."

Youngsaeng sighed. "Alright... I guess I should go to sleep now since tomorrow, I'll have to be wide awake to begin learning."

"Good idea. Good night then," HJ muttered with a large yawn.

"Good night."

-----------------------------

The next morning, Youngsaeng woke up before HJ and sat up, looking around.

Oh yeah. I'm in the dorm, not at home.

After washing up first, he headed to the kitchen from something to eat.

"Oh? Awake already?" he involuntarily jerked when he heard a sudden voice come from behind him.

Turning, he saw KJ standing there in his pajamas, hugging a giant teddy bear. Youngsaeng nodded sheepishly. "I was just looking for something ot eat."

KJ chuckled. "It's okay, go ahead. We don't really mind. YS usually doesn't wake up on his own though. He's pretty hard to wake up, actually."

"I see..." Youngsaeng murmured back.

KJ was about to walk away but Youngsaeng spoke. "Hyung."

"Neh?"

"When... will I be able to go back?" he asked as he had begun to miss Hyunjoong and the rest of his friends.

KJ shrugged. "I guess when YS decides to come back. I don't know why it's taking so long for our managers to find him."

"Can I go back and visit sometime?" he requested. "Like, after I've learnt all the dances and songs. Can I?"

The older boy grinned. "Of course you can. Work hard, then."

That day, when everyone was awake and washed up, the manager drove them to their practice rooms. During the hours of the morning, HJ taught Youngsaeng the singing exercises and routines they did every morning with the piano. Youngsaeng memorized the exercises quickly.

"Your voice sounds just like YS's," HJL remarked in surprise. "Wow, I think your singing might be as good as his, too."

"Oh, thanks," Youngsaeng responded.

After the warm up, the manager gave him a thick booklet of all the lyrics in the order that was going to be on the concert. He was also given an iPod and earphones with the music also in the same order as the lyrics. Bowing in thanks, he took them gratefully and followed the rest to the dance practice room.

"We'll teach you the dances in order," KJ told him as he looked at the booklet. Flipping the page, he saw the order of the titles of the concert. "Old to new, huh... Yeah, that works."

And for the whole day, Youngsaeng learned dances and also managed to completely memorize the lyrics of the songs since he heard it over and over again as he was taught the moves and the placement. At the start, it was kind of awkward since his body was stiff and he had never really danced before but after a while, after getting a little warmer, his figure began moving as he wanted it to and he soaked in the dances like a sponge.

"You're really good," JM complimented, clapping. "How do you memorize these so fast? You'll be finished learning the whole program in no time."

"I'm studying to become a doctor," Youngsaeng started. "So I'm good at memorizing facts and stuff. I've developed a high-end skill to memorize things, I guess."

After 4 hours of continuous practicing and learning, HJL insisted for Youngsaeng to take a break but he refused. "If I'm going to learn all the songs by the time of the concert, I have to keep on practicing."

"But you probably won't even be in the concert," HJ pointed out. "You don't have to do all of this."

Youngsaeng just shrugged. "I don't want to either but what choice do I have?"

"He will come back. He will definitely come back in time," KJ stood up. "He's not the type to abandon his job just for his own enjoyment."

"Ah!" he squeaked when he suddenly fell in the middle of a dance. The others rushed to help him. "Are you okay?" JM asked with concern.

He winced in pain of his knee but nodded, hiding that fact that it hurt a lot.

From afternoon all the way until late at night, SS501 taught Youngsaeng the dance, also relearning it themselves as they did so, refreshing their memory. In about 8 hours time, Youngsaeng had learned the dances and lyrics of 3 songs: Warning, Snow Prince, and 4 Chance. His knee was aching badly and kept on falling. He grit his teeth to hold back the pain.

At the end of practice, they all clapped and cheered.

"3 songs already," HJL praised, giving the younger boy a friendly pat on the back. "You have 19 songs left. If you memorize two more each day, you'll be able to finish the whole program in 10 days."

"When is the concert again?" Youngsaeng questioned.

"It's in February. On February... 14th, I think," JM told him.

"Oh? On Valentine's Day?"

KJ nodded. "We'll be having a few little events so the concert's going to be almost 3 hours long."

Nodding, Youngsaeng slowly followed the leader out the door after washing up and changing his shirt with his new IPod, earphones, and lyric booklet. He made sure to go out last so the others wouldn't catch him limping on his bad leg. On the whole drive back to the dorm, he immersed himself into memorizing a few more songs.

Once back at the dorm, Youngsaeng borrowed HJ's computer and began watching live shows of a few songs.

"Oh! Fighter!" Hyungjun exclaimed enthusiastically. "I love that one. Deja vu's also a really good song."

Youngsaeng thought for a bit as he recognized at that title. Deja vu. Suddenly, he remembered. That time when he let YS live at his house. YS had played a CD and he followed the dance.

"YS sings a lot of the background since it's really high," HJ remarked as the two listened intently.

The younger boy could see why everyone in SS501 were worried about him now. The notes were extremely high for a boy and whenever YS sang it, he always seemed so relaxed and made it look easy. Youngsaeng was somewhat hesitant.

What if I can't do it? What if I can't make it look as easy? What if I can't reach the notes? What's going to happen? What if I collapsed in the middle of a performance? What if my leg doesn't let me complete the whole concert if I have to perform?

Youngsaeng listened to Wings of the World and Find. The lyrics of Wings of the World really moved him. They were meaningful, as if written by a fan. When he listened to Find, he realized that the whole chorus belonged to him and that it went pretty high. Again, he was worried.