Side Effects

Fated to Meet You

Youngsaeng entered his room and immediately spotted Hyunjoong's present containing the gold watch at the corner of his bed. With sad eyes, he went over and picked it up, untying the ribbon and taking out the watch. What was he supposed to do with it now? He didn't want to return it and Hyunjoong didn't want something so expensive.

With a sigh, he put it back down.

"Otter, I need--" Hyunjoong stopped when Youngsaeng looked up at him.

The younger boy didn't say anything, his hands still on the gold watch. Hyunjoong went over to him, hugging him and pecking him on the side of his head. "Still hesitant over that watch?"

Youngsaeng let go of it and tightened his lips. "I..." he faded off, trying to choose the right words to describe his feelings.

Hyunjoong didn't wait until he finished speaking before hugged him even tighter, bringing the prince's face into his chest. Youngsaeng's hand slipped out of the box and fell to his side.

"Just for this time, I'll accept it," the older boy murmured and pulled away slightly only to kiss his love. "It's because you gave it to me, alright?"

"You don't have to if--"

Hyunjoong connected their lips again, cutting off Youngsaeng. He already knew what the latter was going to say anyway so there was no need for him to speak anymore.

Youngsaeng closed his eyes and tilted his head, enjoying the feel of Hyunjoong's thumb brushing gently over his cheek. He and Hyunjoong swayed gently, his arms around the older boy's waist.

"Otter," started Hyunjoong, bringing his lover over to the bed. Youngsaeng looked at him expectedly, waiting. Hyunjoong put his hand on top of Youngsaeng's with a small smile. "If you do go to America... then you won't forget me, will you?"

The younger boy seemed quite shocked at the question. "Of course not! How would I forget you? Of course I wouldn't forget! Why would you think that?"

The latter grinned. "Nothing, I'm just feeling... I mean... I won't be around in America. What if you suddenly fall in love with someone else there? What if you decide to stay there and not come back? I--"

Youngsaeng shushed Hyunjoong, noticing that he was tearing up. The otter brought him into a hug. "Don't think about that, everything will be alright. The years that I'm gone, they won't be long."

"I don't want you to leave."

The prince was silent, not knowing what to say. He opened his mouth and closed it. Hyunjoong returned the hug, not letting go until Youngsaeng finally decided to speak again.

"Joongie, are you sure you want to have this type of conversation again?" he asked, pulling away slightly. Hyunjoong shook his head, keeping his hold on his lover. The older boy pushed Youngsaeng down and buried his head into the latter's chest, hugging him tightly as he curled up. "I'm tired..." his voice was muffled by Youngsaeng's clothes.

The younger boy smiled and placed one hand at the back of the latter's head while the other brought him closer. "Then sleep."

"Stay with me, arasseo?"

Youngsaeng nodded, tucking his chin in to peck Hyunjoong on the forehead, smiling at him lovingly. Hyunjoong tilted his chin up, connecting their lips before sighing and snuggling deeper. Youngsaeng didn't bother pulling up the blanket and closed his eyes.

When Hyunjoong woke up, he found himself in Youngsaeng's embrace, the blanket over them. The sky was dark now and the otter was still sleeping soundly beside him. With a smile, he cuddled in more, enjoying the warmth and smell of his lover.

"Youngsaeng-ah," he murmured gently, making sure if his lover was awake.

There was no vocal response. Instead, Youngsaeng furrowed his eyebrows with a groan, bringing Hyunjoong closer as he moved a bit closer. After that, only the rhythmic breathing could be heard. Hyunjoong grinned, enjoying this feeling.

There was a scratch at the door and Hyunjoong realized that Hachi's dinner time had already passed. In a hurry, he suddenly sat up and Youngsaeng rolled over, rubbing his eyes.

"Hyunjoong..." whispered Youngsaeng when he saw his boyfriend, quite agitated. He looked out the window. "It's dark...?"

Still half-asleep, he sat up with Hyunjoong's help and the older boy brought Youngsaeng sideways into his chest with a smile. "Did you sleep well?"

Youngsaeng closed his eyes again, letting out a breath. Hyunjoong waited for an answer but to his surprise, didn't get one. He looked down and saw that the younger boy had fallen asleep again. This was rare. Was he sick again?

A scratch at the door came again this time along with a whine. Cautiously and gently, Hyunjoong lay his boyfriend down again and covered him with a blanket. He got up and went out to feed Hachi.

When he got back, Youngsaeng was awake again, sitting up. He hurried over. "Otter?" The younger boy turned right when Hyunjoong sat down beside him. Youngsaeng stared at him for a second before blinking and looking around. Hyunjoong furrowed his eyebrows. "What's wrong?"

"I just... feel really tired..." muttered the latter, looking as if he wanted to go back to sleep again. Hyunjoong began to feel uneasy at Youngsaeng's lack of awareness.

"We haven't eaten dinner yet... Let's do that first," he coaxed and took Youngsaeng's hand, standing up but the younger boy didn't even try to get up with him. Instead, Hyunjoong had to drag him up.

"I'm tired..." he complained, plopping back down on the bed. "Can't I just sleep?"

Hyunjoong, concerned, went back to his side. "Youngsaeng, what's wrong? You're not usually like this?"

Youngsaeng's hand went up to his head and he shook it slightly. "I don't know... I just... I only want to sleep... I don't know."

The older boy placed his hand on the latter's forehead then his neck but there was no fever. Youngsaeng wasn't showing any symptoms of a cold but his face color seemed quite pale. Sighing, Hyunjoong lay Youngsaeng back down, gently combing his hand through the latter's hair. "Then sleep, okay?"

Youngsaeng closed his eyes and sighed. Within a few seconds, his hand went limp and he was asleep. Hyunjoong could already feel something stirring up but he didn't know what. Standing up, he went out the door, picked up the phone, and called the hospital.