Telling Lies

Fated to Meet You

Youngsaeng went home that day to be greeted by his puppy, Hachi.

"Hachi!" he exclaimed happily as he scooped up the eager puppy. "Let's go out for a walk, yeah?"

Hachi nuzzled his owner in the cheek with a wagging tail, showing his approval. Youngsaeng laughed as Hachi him in the middle of his face as he was trying to get the leash.

"Ya! Stop it!" he chuckled as he put the collar on Hachi and set him down. "Kaja." (Let's go)

Youngsaeng locked the door behind him and let Hachi decide where to go. Hachi made Youngsaeng run and soon, they ended up at the river.

"Hachi! You know I don't like to come here," Youngsaeng scolded. "Why'd you lead me here?"

The little dog didn't listen and continued to run down the riverbank.

"Hachi!" Youngsaeng shouted. "Slow down!"

Then, he saw where Hachi was leading him. Beside the river on the grass, was a figure, sitting there while staring at the sparkling water. It was Hyunjoong. Hachi ran up to the boy and jumped on him.

"Whoa!" Hyunjoong exclaimed, jolting in surprise.

He looked up and blocked the sun from his eyes.

"Youngsaeng?" he said. "What are you doing here?"

"I'm walking my dog," Youngsaeng replied bluntly and sat down. "Hachi seems to like you."

"I wonder why."

"You look like HJ," Youngsaeng told him.

Hyunjoong stared at the younger boy. "What are you talking about? I'm a human. HJ's a dog."

"No, you don't look like HJ," Youngsaeng corrected. "You're identical to him. That's why Hachi likes you so much. He and HJ used to be good friends. HJ was the one who brought this puppy to me for me to take care of."

Hyunjoong looked back at the river. "That's possible. HJ was an incredibly intelligent dog. He knew his way around the neighborhood so well... Even better than me."

"What'd he do?"

"I got lost once, and he found me in an alleyway and lead me back home. A very caring and gentle dog..."

The two sat there, reminiscing in the past as the little puppy ran around the grass, chasing butterflies and bouncing around. Without warning, Hyunjoong broke the silence and turned to Youngsaeng. "I told my mother that I already had a girlfriend and she said she wanted to meet you."

"When?" Youngsaeng asked.

"Tomorrow, after school, at six o'clock."

"So soon?"

Hyunjoong nodded. "She's an impatient woman. Does things her way and doesn't let anyone stop her. That reminds me, who do you live with?"

"No one," Youngsaeng replied. "My aunt occasionally comes over to my house and she pays for all my school fees and such but I cook on my own and eat on my own. When she is here, she works early in the morning and comes home late at night so I rarely ever see her."

"You must be lonely..."

"I was," Youngsaeng agreed. "But Hachi keeps me company. Now, I can't even imagine life without Hachi..."

They stayed there for a while longer until Youngsaeng stood up. "I should head back now. What am I supposed to wear tomorrow after school?"

"Don't worry about. I'll provide you with something," Hyunjoong assured him.

"But that's just going to increase my debt."

"It's not going to be included. It's going to be part of the money you're paying back."

"Does that even make sense?" Youngsaeng remarked, confused by his logic.

"Whatever," Hyunjoong said with a shrug. "I'll see you tomorrow, then."

After that, the two went their separate ways.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After school that day, Hyunjoong went to pick Youngsaeng up at his classroom.

"Youngsaeng!" he called from the door. "Balli." (Quickly)

He finished packing his things and ran to the door. "Okay, I'm ready."

Hyunjoong first drove them to a salon.

"What are we doing here?" Youngsaeng asked curiously.

"We're going to give you a complete make-over," Hyunjoong exclaimed excitedly and pulled his "girlfriend" inside.

Hyunjoong waited impatiently outside in the lobby for two hours, fidgeting around in his seat, getting up and pacing around, taking a magazine and flipping through it, and then sitting down again and continuing to fidget. That was his routine for two hours, causing the other customers to stare at him strangely.

Finally, the long awaited moment came. Youngsaeng stepped out shyly with an attendant beside him. Hyunjoong shot up from his seat, completely entranced by the younger boy that he forgot to breathe and his heart skipped a beat. Sparkles and flowers seemed to surround the boy as he walked towards him. His hair was permed and puffled a little, a bit past his shoulders with hair extensions; he wore a thin layer of make up with only a little bit of foundation, eyeliner and mascara but still, his appearance was beathtaking. 

"Are you here to pick up this beautiful young lady?" the lady asked, holding Youngsaeng's shoulders.

"Excuse me, I'm a boy," Youngsaeng interrupted quietly, looking back a little.

"Oh! I'm sorry," the attendant exclaimed. "I meant young man."

Hyunjoong nodded quickly and grabbed Youngsaeng by the hand. "Thank you very much."

The attendant bowed and sent them off. Hyunjoong hurried outside with Youngsaeng and caught his breath.

"Why were you in such a hurry?" Youngsaeng asked curiously when they in Hyunjoong's car.

"That lady was touching you on the shoulders and everyone was staring at you," he heard Hyunjoong grumble. "You were attracting too much atttention."

"Umm... Why does it matter that the attendant was holding me on the shoulders?" Youngsaeng asked. "She was just leading me out of the room and being gentle. So how do I look? Is this okay?"

"It wasn't what I expected but it's fine," Hyunjoong said as he started the car.

Youngsaeng pouted in disappointment. Hyunjoong could've said something else other than that. At least a better compliment than "it's fine". Soon, they arrived at a clothes shop.

"What are we doing now?"

"Can't you see? We're buying you some clothes."

They entered the shop and the workers greeted them. Hyunjoong led his "girlfriend" to the dresses section and made sure to choose a good set of clothing for Youngsaeng. 

"Do I really have to wear this?" Youngsaeng grimaced.

"In order to convince her that you're also from a wealthy family, you need to dress wealthy and that means wearing expensive clothing," Hyunjoong explained. "This way, she'll believe that you're actually my girlfriend."

"I can't believe I'm doing this..." Youngsaeng muttered.

Hyunjoong picked out a red long-sleeved and a set mini skirt and handed it to Youngsaeng. "Here, try these on. Let's see if they fit."

Sighing, Youngsaeng took them and headed to the change room. A few minutes later, he came out again, awkwardly adjusting the skirt. Hyunjoong narrowed his eyes and shook his head.

"Let's try another one."

About 10 sets later, Youngsaeng stepped out of the change room for the 11th time, exhausted. He was wearing a sky blue blouse with white lining and a black skirt that stopped right above his knees. He pulled down the skirt from behind uncomfortably. Finally, Hyunjoong nodded.

"Okay, this one's good."

"Can't I just wear pants?" Youngsaeng whined. "Aren't there shorts  or something? Isn't that better?"

"You're a boy. If you don't wear a skirt, you won't seem like a girl," Hyunjoong pointed out. "Now, we need high-heels."

"What?!"

"Of course. A girl set can only be complete with heels."

"I wonder how you know so much..." Youngsaeng murmured under his breath, not expecting an answer. 

"I"ve went out with other girls before," Hyunjoong admitted after he heard Youngsaeng's question. 

When the younger boy heard that, his heart felt as if it were stung lightly. It hurt slightly. Clutching his chest, he furrowed his eyebrows and looked down at the ground as he walked, confused by the feeling. 

They went to the Shoes section and kept getting Youngsaeng to try out the heels. His feet were like a girl's and fit in the heels perfectly.

He purchased the set and got Youngsaeng to change back into it immediately so that they would be ready to meet his mother.

"How about my voice?" Youngsaeng asked. "It still sounds like a boy."

"Just make the pitch a little higher and you have to call me oppa," Hyunjoong told him.

Youngsaeng cleared his throat and made his voice a little higher. "Oppa~~~"

Suddenly, Hyunjoong screeched his car to a stop at the side of the road.

"Ya!" he exclaimed. "Don't scare me like that!"

"Was it that bad?"

Hyunjoong looked away, blushing. "No... It was fine."

They started driving again and Hyunjoong gave Youngsaeng some advice.

"If she asks you anything that has anything to do with your family, let me answer. Don't talk, okay?" Hyunjoong advised. "We'll just say that you're shy and quiet so you don't like to talk if she asks why I'm always the one answering her questions."

"What if she asks about my parents?" Youngsaeng asked worriedly.

"We'll tell her that your mother and father are in another country right now and won't be back in a few years," Hyunjoong replied. "That way, she won't be able to meet them."

The younger boy gulped, still nervous.

"You need a nickname," Hyunjoong suddenly commented.

"Where did you get that idea?" Youngsaeng exclaimed in surprise.

"Couples always have nicknames. Especially girl," Hyunjoong said. "Let's make up a nickname for you..."

"Don't call me anything stupid, please..."

"Oh! I thought of one!" Hyunjoong said, his eyes lighting up. "How about Otter?"

"Otter?! Why that animal?"

"Admit it," Hyunjoong laughed. "You look like one."

Youngsaeng pouted. "I don't even now whether to take that as a insult or a compliment."

"Otters are really cute," Hyunjoong pointed out. "I'll call you Otter Princess. How's that?"

"Think of something else," Youngsaeng grumbled in annoyance.

"Would you prefer if I called you Squirt?" 

Youngsaeng suddenly shot forwards from the back of his seat. "You wouldn't dare!"

"If you don't let me call you Otter or Otter Princess, I will call you Squirt."

"Whatever you want," Youngsaeng huffed. "Oppa."

The man beamed and kept on driving until he arrived at the mansion. They got out and as Youngsaeng walked beside Hyunjoong, he suddenly lost his balance on his heels and fell on his "boyfriend".

"Are you okay?" Hyunjoong murmured with concern. 

Youngsaeng nodded. "Yeah, I just lost my balance. That's all."

Hyunjoong clutched onto Youngsaeng's hand and led him inside. They took off their shoes at the door. Relieved to finally have the heels off, he let go of Hyunjoong's hand but the boy kept his grip.

"It's okay. I'm fine now," Youngsaeng assured him.

"Right now, we're a couple," Hyunjoong reminded the younger boy. "We need to act like one, too."

They saw a woman at the top of the grand staircase and Hyunjoong bowed to her. Youngsaeng copied.

"Annyeonghaseyo eomma," Hyunjoong greeted politely.

"Annyeonghaseyo," Youngsaeng spoke with his girl voice, startling Hyunjoong.

"Annyeonghaseyo," the woman said and started down the stairs.

When she reached the bottom, she faced her son. "And this is your girlfriend, I assume."

"N-neh!" Hyunjoong stuttered. "Her name is Heo... Heo Youngmi!"

Youngsaeng whipped his head around to look at Hyunjoong but the boy's gaze was fixed on the woman. Youngsaeng hurriedly bowed again.

"Youngmi..." the woman echoed. "That's a pretty name."

"Umm... Eomma... Youngmi is quite shy and quiet so can you be a little more attentive?" Hyunjoong asked.

His mother nodded with a smile. "Of course. Let us go talk in the living room."

Youngsaeng bowed and the couple started towards the living room. Youngsaeng glanced at the older boy worriedly but Hyunjoong just nodded. When they got to the living room, Hyunjoong sat on a single seat chair.

"Umm..." Youngsaeng started but then saw that Hyunjoong was gesturing for him to sit on his lap.

With no other choice, the boy did so. Hyunjoong hugged him from behind around the waist and Youngsaeng held onto his hands.

"I see that you two love each other very much," Hyunjoong's mother praised.

Her son nodded happily. "Of course I love her a lot. She's my special girl."

"Youngmi," his mother started. "Tell me, what does your father do?"

"Her father is a big boss," Hyunjoong replied for Youngsaeng.

"Of what company?"

"I don't think you know the company. It's in another country but it's pretty successful. Right, Youngmi?"

Youngsaeng looked at the boy and nodded quickly. Hyunjoong pecked Youngsaeng on the cheek, causing the boy on his lap to freeze for a second but then pretend to smile to put on a show for the mother.

"How about your mother?" the woman asked again.

"Her mother is a famous gallery director," Hyunjoong answered once again.

"Why are you answering the questions for her?"

"I told you already. She's a quiet person. She doesn't talk a lot."

His mother huffed in annoyance and then went back to interrogating. "Can I meet them sometime?"

Hyunjoong looked at Youngsaeng and said. "Her parents are in another country right now and they won't be back for a few years."

"Not even to visit their daughter?"

Hyunjoong shook his head. His mother frowned, got up and gave Youngsaeng a hug. "Oh my... What a poor girl... What type of life might you be living...? You don't even have parents to watch over you."

Youngsaeng smiled awkwardly. "I-I..."

"It's okay, sweetie," Hyunjoong interrupted. "You don't have to talk if you don't want to. The words will come out when they want to."

"Have you given her a nickname? You know that that's a must," his mother commented.

"Of course!" Hyunjoong brightened. "It's the best nickname in the whole universe!"

"What is it?"

"Youngmi's nickname is Otter. I call her Otter Princess, though," Hyunjoong told his mother. "Doesn't she resemble a little otter?" he asked as he stretched Youngsaeng's cheeks and played with his hair.

Youngsaeng wanted to punch him at that time but he had to refrain from doing so or else it would get them into a lot of trouble. All he did was smile a little bit and act embarrassed.

Soon, the interview finally ended.

"Eomma, can I stay over at Youngmi's tonight? I want to stay with her," Hyunjoong asked his mother after dinner.

Youngsaeng's eyes widened in surprise. Hyunjoong didn't say anything about this to him before they had met his mother.

Hyunjoong's mother agreed and after they exited the building and entered the car, Youngsaeng started yelling at the older boy.

"Ya! What the heck are you doing? You never said anything about staying at my house for the night," Youngsaeng exclaimed in anger.

"It makes it more believable," Hyunjoong said. "But really, can I stay at your house? Since I told my mom already, I can't go back home."

Youngsaeng huffed. "Fine. You can use the guest room."

The boy cheered and hugged Youngsaeng out of joy but then suddenly retreated back after touching the boy with a red face. Youngsaeng noticed.

"Um, what's wrong? You've been acting weird for a while now," Youngsaeng asked.

"No, it's nothing," Hyunjoong said as he put his hands back on the steering wheel. "Let's go."