The Top 7

Fated to Meet You

In the early morning, Youngsaeng put on his uniform after eating his breakfast and went over to pet his dog, who was getting bigger everyday. Hachi was already at his knees without standing on his hindlegs.

"I'm going now, okay?" the otter told the cute dog who was wagging its tail, his eyes sparkling. Youngsaeng smiled. "I'll be back after school to walk school. Don't worry."

He packed his bag and headed outside. "Annyeong Hachi~"

As he walked down the street towards the school, he stretched his arms and took a deep breath, closing his eyes for a few seconds to enjoy the fresh air. Everything was peace and quiet except for the rustle of the leaves and the chirping of the birds. Today, he arrived earlier than usual to the school because he was doing the speech to welcome back everyone to school as the honor student.

When he got to the school grounds, no one was there. Looking at the class placement chart, he saw that he was ranked 1st placed in class 1A, the top class of the school. Along with him was another 6 students: Jo Youngmin, Jo Kwangmin, Shim Hyunseong, Kim Donghyun, No Minwoo, and Lee Jeongmin. They were the 7 top students in the school. Now he understood why his uniform was so different and why on the pocket, there was an 1. 

He arrived at the principal's office and greeted the old man politely. "Annyeonghaseyo."

"Oh! Youngsaeng! How are you?" the principal bellowed happily, his cheeks jolly red.

The two hugged as they hadn't seen each other in a while. "I'm good, Mr. Song," he replied. "And you?"

"I'm as good as ever!" Mr. Song answered with a deep laugh. "You have prepared your speech, I assume?"

"Of course."

"Nervous?"

"Somewhat."

"Congratulations in being the top student," the principal chuckled, patting Youngsaeng heavily on the back, causing the boy to fall forward slightly.

"Thank you," he responded with only a slight smile and bowed. "I'd better get going now. I have to prepare in the stadium."

"Ah, yes. Of course, go ahead."

"Thank you for your time."

"Thank you for visiting! This old man needs some fun once in a while."

Youngsaeng bowed. "Neh~ I'll visit again soon."

Youngsaeng exited the office and headed towards the stadium to find that the staff had already begun preparing.

"Annyeonghaseyo," he announced his arrival as he bowed at the door.

"Eo, annyeong Youngsaeng," his art teacher, Ms. Jung greeted. "Come help me with these chairs, please."

"Annyeonghaseyo, Ms. Jung," he greeted again. "Annyeonghaseyo, Mr. Shin. Annyeonghaseyo, Mr. Lee."

Continuously bowing, he felt as if his back was going to break if he had to bow one more time. He got to Ms. Jung and began to unstack the chairs, kicking them open and placing them in their respective places.

"Are you nervous for the speech?" the teacher asked him.

He shrugged. "Yeah, I guess so."

Mr. Shin smiled. "You must be used to this stuff since you're always top."

"No, this is actually my first time speaking in front of the whole school," Youngsaeng told him. "I've performed before but I've never really spoken."

"Oh, I see..." Ms. Jung echoed, nodding.

After the chairs were set up and the microphones and speakers were prepared, Youngsaeng took out his speech and placed it on the podium beforehand. By this time, the students were already entering the school and heading to their classrooms.

Hyunjoong went into the school grounds alone and hurried over to the class placement list to see if he was in the same class as Youngsaeng.

 

Class 1A:

1. Heo Youngsaeng

2. Jo Youngmin

3. Jo Kwangmin

4. Shim Hyunseong

5. Kim Donghyun

6. No Minwoo

7. Lee Jeongmin

 

That's all Hyunjoong saw to know that he wasn't in the same class. He was in class 2B, a few classes lower than the one Youngsaeng was in. It's been already almost two weeks since we broke up and I haven't seen him ever since... I want to see him so badly... I miss him...

"Wow, look, Youngsaeng oppa's in the special class," he heard a few girls around him coo. "He's amazing."

"He's so hot, too," another girl complimented. "And smart. I want him as my boyfriend."

"Yeah, he's definitely one to brag about."

He recognized those girls. They were the ones that kept on flirting with Youngsaeng in their second year. The 9 queens. Suddenly, everyone began to squeal at the entrance. Hyunjoong turned to see 6 sparkling boys walking into the school grounds, wearing white uniforms with a gold emblem of their ranking. Youngsaeng wasn't with them.

The 6 boys entered the school with a huge crowd of girls and boys tailing them closely. Hyunjoong watched as they entered a large, luxurious looking room with polished chairs, couches, table sets and other rooms. He's so lucky... I want to be in that class, too... But I'm not good enough. My studies, they'll never catch up to Youngsaeng's.

Being unable to enter the room, the other students stood outside the doors until the teachers began to shoo them away to their classes. Hyunjoong reluctantly followed to his classroom where he saw Jungmin waiting for him.

"Ya! Where were you?" Jungmin asked, looking irritated.

Hyunjoong shrugged and sat down beside the younger boy. "Are Kyujong and Hyungjun in another class?"

Jungmin sighed and nodded. "Well, at least we're together. Youngsaeng hyung is amazing, isn't he? He's the top in the school."

The older boy just nodded and huffed, putting his head down onto the desk. Jungmin noticed his sad expression. "Ya, what happened? Don't tell me you two had a fight again? That's the... billionth time!"

"No, this time, we broke up..."

"Eh? Again? It's only been about 2 weeks since you two got back together!" the horse exclaimed. "You know you can't go on long without him. Why even do it?"

Hyunjoong buried his face into his arms. "I don't know... I thought about and realized Youngsaeng was right. We were fighting a lot. At every phone call, at every visit, every text chat, we were always arguing..."

"Then why don't you just apologize and make up? I don't like a depressed Hyunjoong," Jungmin suggested.

"I'm always the one clinging onto him, the one chasing after him. I want him to come to me this time."

The horse hit the cow on the head hard. Hyunjoong's head shot up. "Ya! What's wrong with you?"

"What's wrong with you?" Jungmin yelled at him, definitely pissed off. "You're going to let your pride get in the way of your relationship. Hyung, you know you need him with you. Looking at you right now, you look miserable. It's like you're a zombie. Your face color is pale, it looks like you've lost weight, and don't even get me started about your mood. Snap out of it, hyung!"

"No, I want him to chase after me," Hyunjoong insisted. "I want to know that he really cares about me and feels the same way."

"You know how he is, even I know him well enough to know that he can hold in pain. It's like he's not even human, hyung. He can hold it in and hide it well. I'm telling you, you won't be able to do it."

"I'll prove him that I can hold in pain, too," the older boy said, determination flashing in his eyes.

Jungmin rolled his eyes. "Yeah, right. Good luck with that."

"What a nice friend you are," Hyunjoong scoffed.

Soon, the teacher came in. "Annyeonghaseyo," he greeted the students. "I'm your homeroom teacher for this year, Mr. Bong. Today, we won't be doing a lot since it's the first day of school. Here's the plan for the day."

The man turned and began to write on the board as he talked. "At 9:00, we will be going down to the stadium with the rest of the school for the assembly and then we'll come back. I want all of you to get to know each other so we'll do a few group activities. The teachers want this year's honor students to go around the class to introduce themselves. They are also the Student Council so please give them your best attention and respect."

"Wait... The honor class...?" Jungmin whispered in shock. "Isn't Youngsaeng hyung in it?"

"Yeah..." Hyunjoong replied quietly. "That means he's the president of the whole school now."

Jungmin bit his lip. "That guy is really amazing. He can do anything."

As planned, after half an hour, the class stood up to go to the assembly, following their teacher to the stadium. Mr. Bong gestured them to a row of seats near the back since they were seniors.