The Fated Day

Fated to Meet You

School ended at the usual time today and I got up slowly, packing up my bag.

"Hyung!" Hyungjun called from the door.

Without finishing packing, I looked up and went to him. "Yeah, what is it?"

"You have to go home without me today," he told me with a pout. I felt a slight weight of disappointment. "Why?" I asked him.

"The music teacher just informed us that she was going to hold a practice today after school so I have to go," he said. "I'll see you then."

Nodding, I waved and turned back to my desk.

As I walked down the same, old boring road home, my heart seemed to beat more and more slowly. Everything seemed dull with no life. A few months ago, I could still feel that life outside and this road seemed like road full of joy. Now, it didn't seem to worth anything.

Deep in my thoughts, I didn't notice the rustling from the steep hill of trees beside me until, without warning, a teenage boy tumbled onto the cement in front of me. Startled, I let out a small gasp and took a step back. The boy saw me and hurriedly got up, his clothes and hair covered in dirt, leaves, and twigs but he didn't look hurt. All he did was laugh and as he turned to me, I saw a shaking puppy in his arms.

"I found this puppy at the top of the hill," he told me with a bright smile. "I'm looking for someone to take him in. Will you be able to take him?"

I stared at him and then looked down at the puppy. It stared at me, as if understanding what the boy was requesting. The large, hopeful eyes reminded me of the time the doctor came in to tell me about my condition. I nodded and held my arms out.

"Of course. I'll adopt him," I said with a light smile.

The boy's smile grew and he quickly handed the fluffy puppy to me, bowing 90 degrees while thanking me. I awkwardly smiled. "It's no problem at all."

"Will it be okay if I visit this little guy once in a while?" the boy asked eagerly, his eyes shining in the dim sunlight under the trees.

I nodded again. "Yeah, of course. I don't mind."

Just looking at him as he clapped his hands, overjoyed, he seemed pretty cute. After saying good-bye, he rushed up the road and left me with the puppy.

"Did he say that you were male?" I questioned the small dog as its tail wagged happily. "I should give you a name... Let's go home first."

Hugging him tightly, I started up the hill towards my house.

"I'm home," I called into the dimly lit house as I opened the door. No one was at home, as usual. My aunt was at work. I never expected an answer when I left for school or came back. Leaving early in the morning before I woke up and coming back late at night after I fell asleep.

Letting the puppy down, it dashed down the hallway and turned into the living room. I chuckled and followed the little dog, finding it getting comfortable on a bean bag. I lifted it. "Come on, you're still dirty. You need a bath."

After the bath and feeding him, he fell asleep on my lap and there, I decided to give him a name. He reminded me a bit of the Japanese dog in the film Hachiko: A Dog's Tale and so, I named Hachiko (Hachi).

I lifted on his ears and whispered, "Your name is Hachiko from now on, okay?"

Soon, I felt my eyelids become heavy and I dozed off.