Amnesia: Remembrance

Fated to Meet You

"Where did hyung go?" Jungmin asked Kyujong after a while when he noticed that Hyunjoong was gone.

"You just noticed? He went out to clear his head."

"Oh? Did it really hurt his feelings that much?"

"Well... after going through the fact that Youngsaeng had forgotten everyone including him, he was obviously hurt."

"Kyujong hyung," Hyungjun cut in. "Is it okay if I go talk to him?"

"Go ahead."

Nodding, the brunette hurried out the door and went in search of Hyunjoong.

"Hyunjoong hyung," he called in the hallways of the hospital.

He searched the corridors and the rooms but Hyunjoong was nowhere to be found. Ruffling his hair in frustration, he huffed. "Where the heck is he?"

He ran up the stairs and searched every floor but still, the older boy wasn't there. Finally, he got to the final floor, the roof. Opening the door, a burst of wind pushed him back a bit. There, he saw Hyunjoong, leaning on the rail, enjoying the fresh air.

"Hyung," he spoke as he approached the cow.

"Mm?" was the response.

"Hyung, please don't be mad at Youngsaeng hyung," Hyungjun started. "Ever since he was young, he was never interested in such things like love and relationships."

"Then how come he said that Eunmi noona was his first love?" Hyunjoong asked the younger boy.

"Eunmi noona was like a mother to him in the orphanage. I had friends there at the orphanage and I used to go there after school to play with them. Youngsaeng hyung was always hiding in a corner as if he was pretending he wasn't there. I watched him from afar and the one who always cheered him up was Eunmi noona, the one everybody was afraid of," Hyungjun explained. "The kids were always bullying him and teasing him about how his father abandoned him. Eunmi noona was always the one who saved him and comforted hyung."

"Then, is the first love thing true?"

Hyungjun nodded. "Yeah, it is. At first, I didn't know but then as we grew up together, he kept bringing her up and telling me stories. I loved to listen to the stories, of course, but only then did I realize that Youngsaeng hyung really loved her, not just as a mother."

"So after that, he was never interested in love?" Hyunjoong questioned.

"The only girl he thought about was Eunmi noona so he wasn't interested in anyone else."

"So there's no way for me to be with him now, is there?"

"I thought so, you do love him," Hyungjun remarked, closing his eyes and feeling the gentle breeze hitting his face. "Hyung never talked about his ideal type but do you want me to tell you something right now?"

Hyunjoong looked at him, as if expecting something. Hyungjun didn't turn and talked as the way he was. "If you ever force yourself on him, not only will I hate you but Youngsaeng hyung will hate you,too."

"What does this have to do with you?" he said, turning back to the world.

"I wonder... Who could be telling you all this right now?"

By the time Hyunjoong reacted and whipped around to face the boy, Hyungjun was already at the door, opening it and heading back inside. "Wait!"

It was too late. Hyungjun was already gone. He sighed and turned back and suddenly, he heard and felt an explosion from downstairs.

"Oh my god..." he murmured and then rushed into the building and flew down the stairs, dashing across the corridors towards the hospital room to see what was happening. He stopped at the entrance and saw that Jungmin and Kyujong were trying to get Youngsaeng into a wheelchair.

"Stop! I'm going to slow you guys down! Just go without me! I'll be fine!" Youngsaeng shrieked.

"No, we're not leaving without you this time," Hyunjoong interrupted and also helped the boys.

Dr. Jung bursted into the room. "Someone accidentally detonated a bomb in the hospital and the place is on fire now. Get out! Now!"

They began to push the wheelchair out of the room. Smoke was already everywhere and they could tell that the fire was quickly getting closer. The doctors and nurses were all getting the patients out of the hospital, a few in wheelchairs, a few on beds, and a few limping on crutches or just walking out with a nurse accompanying them.

In the midst of all this commotion, Youngsaeng heard something in his brain break and snap and the memories came flooding back. The smell and taste of smoke, the sight of fire, the sound of the explosion, and the sweat on his palms. The five senses were the keys. He remembered everything. Looking around, he saw Hyunjoong pushing the wheelchair, running down the hallway with Kyujong and Jungmin close behind him. His aunt and Hyungjun were closely in front.

Youngsaeng looked behind them. The fire was catching up. Soon, they would have no way to escape. He was slowing them down.

"Hyung!" he shouted to Hyunjoong. "Go without me. I'm slowing you down. If this goes on, the fire's going to catch up to us and envelope us. None of us would be able to escape."

"No! I told you already," Hyunjoong insisted. "We're not leaving without you. It's all or none!"

"If you guys get out, then I will also have a greater chance of surviving," he argued. "If you are all able to find help quick enough, then I will also be able to get out. Hyung, I can use my arms to push the wheelchair. It's okay. I'll be fine."

"No, you won't! Your arm is still injured!" Kyujong exclaimed from the back.

"I said that I would be fine at the elevator, didn't I? I am fine!"

"Fine? You lost your memory!" Hyunjoong yelled.

"But I've regained it. I remember everything now. That explosion just then made me remember. I understand what's happening."

Suddenly, Hyunjoong stopped and looked down at Youngsaeng. "You... remember...?"

He quickly nodded and pulled Hyunjoong to the front, pushing him away. "Go!" he commanded. "Jungmin, Kyujong hyung, go already! I'll be fine!"

"Youngsaeng hyung!" Hyungjun screamed and tried to run back to get the boy but without warning, a caught-on-fire column fell in between Youngsaeng and the rest of the group.

"Youngsaeng!" shrieked Hyunjoong as he tried to run back into the flames but Kyujong stopped him.

"Hyung! We have to get help. We can't do anything against the fire. We have to go. That's the only chance that Youngsaeng has to survive."

"No! If we wait any longer, he's also going to be caught in the flames," Hyunjoong protested as he could feel tears boiling in his eyes, partly behind of the smoke but mostly because he felt that he was going to lose Youngsaeng again.

"Hyung! We have to go!" Jungmin yelled as gestured for Youngsaeng's aunt and Hyungjun to run.

Hyungjun ran up to Hyunjoong. "Hyung! Youngsaeng hyung always keeps his promises. If he says he'll be fine, then he'll be alright. He... will definitely be okay. We have to get help!"

Hyunjoong looked back at Youngsaeng through the fire with gritted teeth. The otter was on the wheelchair and the two made eye contact. In that second, the older boy knew what Youngsaeng was planning but Kyujong and Jungmin pulled him away towards the exit, leaving Youngsaeng in the middle of the circle of fire.

The young boy on the wheelchair sensed that something was about to fall on him. So that's how he was going to die.

Youngsaeng closed his eyes and he felt tears trickling down his cheek. 'Farewell hyung...'