Sweet Goodbye

Fated to Meet You

The next morning, Hyunjoong woke up because of the broad daylight. He saw the woman beside him getting up.

"Have you been discharged?" he asked her sadly.

She nodded with a light smile.

"Congratulations," he said.

"Oh, Hyunjoong-ah," the lady began.

He turned to her. "Neh?"

"Last night, he came again. He heard a few of his words. He said that he would bring something tonight," she filled him in. "You may get to see him tonight if you stay awake."

"Really?" Hyunjoong exclaimed. "Thanks!"

She grinned. "I hope you see him."

That day, the older boy didn't tell any of the other members about his discovery but he was excited, so excited that Kyujong asked. "Hyung... why are you so happy today?"

The cow grinned. "No reason. It's just so sunny today so I feel kind of giddy."

Jungmin sighed and shook his head. "I don't think he's been getting enough exercise. All that need for exercise is being stored up in his body. Now he's going crazy."

Kyujong rolled his head. "Yeah right, you horse. It's obviously something to do with Youngsaeng. That's the only that the ever makes him happy. So hyung, what is it?"

"It's nothing, it's really nothing," Hyunjoong insisted, trying to keep himself from smiling.

"Come on hyung, he's not going to tell us," Jungmin said and turned around. "Let's go."

Kyujong pouted but followed the younger boy anyway. "See ya hyung."

Hyunjoong grinned. "See ya tomorrow."

Finally, now all he had to do was wait. But time seemed to time too slowly for him. An hour later, he heard a door knock. His hope inside rose. Was it Youngsaeng? "Come in."

The door slid open and in came his step-sister. He huffed in disappoinment. He heard her giggle. "Why the long face? Not happy to see me?"

"No... I just thought..."

"Don't worry. Youngsaeng will come with time. I just know he will," Eunmi assured him, as she did everyday.

"Noona, don't you have work?" Hyunjoong questioned curiously.

"I do but... I'm taking a break from it since my dear little brother is in the hospital. I have to keep our mom in check, too. If I leave too soon, she's probably going to go on thinking of plans to separate you two again," she reminded with a laugh. "I like you two being together. You two are like two pieces of a puzzle. You're meant to be together."

Hyunjoong grinned. "Gomawo noona..."

"So how are you feeling?" she asked as she sat down on a stool beside him, holding his casted left arm.

The older boy smiled lightly. "I'm recovering really well. The doctor told me that I could be discharged in a week's time from now."

"Really? That's great!" Eunmi brightened, clapping her hands like a child. "I think I should hold a Welcome Back party for you. Do you want one?"

"You spoil me too much."

"Come on, Hyunjoong. It'll be fun!"

"Who's going to be there?"

"I'm going to be inviting Kyujong, Jungmin, Hyungjun, SS501 and Young--"

"It's okay... You don't have to force yourself to invite Youngsaeng..." Hyunjoong murmured, leaning back onto the wall. "He's probably not going to come."

There was a silence between the two. Eunmi didn't know what to do. The atmosphere suddenly became grey and dull. The older sister awkwardly stood up. "Well then, I guess you should sleep now. Visiting hours are almost over. I'll be going now then."

The cow nodded. "Okay. Bye."

He checked the clock. It was almost 10:00. A few minutes later, the light of his room closed and he knew that visiting hours were over. He fidgeted in his bed after he had lay down, feeling too hot one second and then too cold after taking off the blanket. He checked the clock again. Only 30 minutes had passed. Sighing, he grunted as he sat up, looking out the window at the moonlight shining down into the room and at the empty bed beside him. Usually, if he couldn't sleep, the noona beside him would talk to him softly, tell him stories, and sooth him until he drifted off to sleep. Tonight, he was eager to see that stranger whom was visiting him, exciting, his heart thumping nervously. Perhaps it really was Youngsaeng. This thought brought his hopes up.

Near midnight, he could hear footsteps echoing in the hallways, approaching his room. He quickly lay back down and turned so that his back was facing the door. He heard the door slowly slide open and closing his eyes, he pretended to sleep.

The footsteps got closer until they stopped right behind him. Then, he heard his voice. The voice he had not heard for so long. The voice he had missed. The one he had long to hear. He could feel tears welling up but still listened to what he was saying.

"Hyunjoong hyung... I've come again," the boy murmured as he dug into his bag. "How are you? The doctor told me that you were healing well. I want to congratulate you face to face but... I guess I feel a little more comfortable talking like this. I promised last night that I would bring you the chocolate, right? It was destroyed at the car crash and you weren't able to eat it so... I made you another set."

He could hear something being set onto the table. The tears refused to stay in and they silently spilled out, trickling across his face and onto the bed. The boy continued to speak. "Hyung, at first, I was hesitating to come here because I knew this was all my fault."

No... Youngsaeng. It's not your fault. It's not your fault. It's mine. It's all mine.

"Today, I won't be staying long, as long as I usually do. I just wanted to come... to tell you something. This bracelet... It reminds me of you whenever I see it," the otter said with a smile, undoing the bracelet and holding it in his hand. "I was extremely overjoyed when you gave me this. YS told me that it symbolizes handcuffs and even though that's something possessive, I really was happy."

The boy on the bed sighed a bit and smiled as his boyfriend continued speaking.

"But... For the past few days, I've been thinking that maybe I've been causing you to worry a little too much. I'm happy that you think of me a lot and that you care about me. But your mother doesn't accept us being together anyway. I was thinking that maybe that we should just choose a path that we can walk down for the rest of our lives. Remember when I said that I was trying to sort out my feelings? It was the truth and in the middle of our relationship, I had finished sorting it out."

He took a deep breath. "I love you... I really love you, hyung. But I'm such a coward. All I ever did was run. I ran from others, I ran from reality, I ran from you and I don't think I can run anymore."

No. No. No. Youngsaeng. Stop. Please. Don't say it... Please, don't.

Hyunjoong heard a clink on the table and his eyes widened. The bracelet. Youngsaeng bit his lip as tears began to drip down. The older boy could hear him beginning to walk away and then speak from the door, his voice shaking. "I've wanted to say this for a while now and I think I finally can. I'm sorry, I... I won't be coming anymore."