Life of an Idol: Part 3

Fated to Meet You

Youngsaeng woke up suddenly and found himself gasping for air and sweating cold sweat. He sat up, closing his eyes as he leaned his head against the wall, still panting. He looked beside him. HJ was still sound asleep beside him, snoring slightly.

What was that? Why did I have such a dream? Is something happening with Hyunjoong hyung and YS hyung? What if hyung is falling in love with YS hyung? Does he know that YS isn't me? Does he feel the same when he's around YS as he's around me. Well, I guess he would since YS looks exactly like me when he has black hair. No one is able to tell the difference. Even the managers couldn't tell the difference.

He quickly got up and checked the clock. It was 4am, still extremely early to be awake but he decided to stay awake now that he was awake. As he stumbled to the bathroom to wash up, his mind was revolving around his dream last night. I have to forget about this dream. I have to concentrate on learning the songs and all the dances. I can't get distracted already.

He took a warm shower to clear his mind and felt the dream melt away. To him, it wasn't worth remembering. Right now, what he had to do was most important. He really missed Hyunjoong, Hyungjun, Kyujong and Jungmin but until they found YS, he had to stay as the replacement.

"Up so early again?" a voice startled him when he was brushing his teeth.

He looked up into the mirror and see KJ in his pyjamas, hugging the teddy bear again. Again rinsing his mouth, he answered. "You're awake, too?"

KJ nodded. "I get woken up easily. I heard a door open and I woke up so I decided not to go back to sleep."

"I had a bad dream and I didn't want to fall back asleep either," Youngsaeng told him. "What are we eating for breakfast?"

The latter shrugged his shoulders. "There's never a definite meal. We eat when we feel hungry. That's about it."

"Oh, well what is there in the fridge?"

He shrugged again. "I honestly have no idea. YS was usually the one keeptracking of stuff and cooking meals but... he's not exactly present right now."

Youngsaeng sighed. "I'll do it then."

KJ seemed to brighten up immediately. Youngsaeng proceeded out the washroom and went to the kitchen. There was barely anything in the fridge. There was actually a lot of things in there but almost nothing they could eat for breakfast. He took out the cereal and milk. "That's our only choice. Don't you guys have bread, peanut butter, and stuff like that?"

The boy shook his head. "No. We tried to have that but since we rarely ever eat at the dorm, the bread spoils easily."

"I see..." Youngsaeng murmured as he poured himself milk and cereal in a bowl. "Where are the utensils?"

"In the drawer to your left."

The younger boy thanked him curtly and headed to the table to eat. KJ followed him and sat down in front of him, causing Youngsaeng to feel a little bit awkward.

"Why... aren't you going to wash up...?" Youngsaeng questioned slowly.

"I was wondering," KJ began, changing the topic. "If YS doesn't come back in time for the concert, will you fill in for him in the performance?"

Youngsaeng stared at him. "I doubt it."

"So if he doesn't come, you still won't perform?"

"I'm not that type," Youngsaeng told him. "I don't like exposing myself to many people."

"You won't be," KJ cut in.

"Won't there be thousands of fans sitting below you, staring up at you?"

"There will be but do you know what SS501 means?"

"What it means? No..."

"It means 5 Super Stars Forever United as One."

"How does that piece together?" Youngsaeng asked in puzzlement.

"Double S stands for Super Star. 5 means five members. 0 means eternity or forever. And 1 means as one."

Youngsaeng nodded, understanding. "But what does that have to do with the audience?"

"When YS was first about to debut, he was also scared and nervous. I went to him and told him that the people in the audience aren't just random strangers who like you. They're friends, it's like your future lover is in the crowd somewhere, watching you. I told him to sing for them, sing for his future lover, sing as if they are family. To SS501, our fans are like our family, we're like one big community. It's SS501 in the center that brings us all close together. We're like the sun, the largest star while our fans are the ones that need the sun."

"Need...?"

KJ nodded. "Many of the fans need us. It's just like how I need JM, YS, HJL and HJ. They're all precious to me and we've been through a lot together. Endured hardships, cried out of happiness and sadness, and laughed at each other."

Youngsaeng nodded again. "So if I do perform, I have to act like these thousands are all my family?"

"Yeah. Just like that and you won't feel as nervous anymore. That's how I got YS to perform at his best at his debut. After that, he was never so hesitant to go up on stage."

"SS501 are the sun," the eating boy muttered. "But aren't you afraid that SS501 will one day be covered, will one day suddenly disappear. In this current society, things come and go."

KJ smiled and chuckled. "Of course we've been worried. To tell the truth, I don't know about the other members but I am still a little insecure. The only thing to do is to trust in our fans not to change fandoms and continue listening to our songs and believing in us. All five of us trust them and we do all we can for them."

"How do you--"

"All of us believe that we are one, that we are one big family," a deep voice came from behind them.

It was the manager, followed by a barely awake HJL, a half-asleep HJ, and a grumpy JM. Even though the leader was barely awake, he spoke. "All the members are the sun and together, we shine a light brighter than any of the stars around us. We believe that we are able to outshine all the other stars even as a star ourselves."

"I used to tell these guys that every person mattered in the group. That's why there are positions. It's so that every person has a way to feel special and to feel needed. But here, everyone is the sun."

"But the sun can even be eclipsed sometimes," Youngsaeng interrupted. "It can be completely covered."

"Yes, but when the sun is eclipsed, people miss its light and hope for it to come back. The sun stays underneath the moon for a short amount of time until it comes out again and shines brighter than ever," KJ told him.

"We don't care if anyone is more talented than another. We think in a way that if we surpass hardships together and hold hands to push through tough times, we are able to climb higher and no one wil get left behind."

"SS501..." Youngsaeng started quietly. "Is amazing, y'know?"

Everyone grinned when they heard Youngsaeng say that. JM went over and patted Youngsaeng on the back. "That's what I thought when I heard KJ talking to YS on our debut date. It really was amazing."

---------------------------------

That day at the practice rooms and during the vocal warm-ups, Youngsaeng tried even harder and did his best. They reviewed the dances Youngsaeng had learned the day before and then managed to teach him 4 more dances that day. So far, he had learned 7 dances and was able to sing 2 other ballad songs of YS's part. Dances: Warning, Snow Prince, Fighter, 4 Chance, Unlock, Coward and Deja vu. He had already danced Deja Vu once with YS at his house so it was easy for him to learn. Songs: Warning, Snow Prince, Fighter, 4 Chance, Unlock, Coward, Deja Vu, Find, and Wings of the World.

The whole time during breaks, meals, and on the car, he studied the notebook with lyrics and kept his earphones in his ears, listening to certain songs over and over again to learn the lyrics and learn his part. Sometimes, the others would guide him with the piano whenever he couldn't hear YS's part properly.

"Wow, you're really good at singing," the managers praised happily when they heard him sing Find.

For a guy, the chorus was pretty high. Youngsaeng could hit the notes perfectly and even though he thought he wasn't doing well, to other people, it looked easy.

And like that, the days flew by as he learned dances and learned songs. For the solo songs that were in the second half of the concert, Youngsaeng had to study videos to learn how to dance the songs and the managers brought the choreographers to the studio in order to teach Youngsaeng the dances since YS wasn't there and he was the only one who knew the whole dance. Youngsaeng continuously hid his pain that built up in his knee and he hid it well for no one suspected anything.

"You're performing 2 solo songs," one of the managers told him. "Let It Go was YS's solo debut song. Maria was a song that he rarely ever performed. He only sang it at his Japanese Overjoyed concert so I decided to include it into the concert."

"It's... really high..." Youngsaeng murmured in amazement. "How am I going to sing this?"

"You'll manage to do it," the man assured with a smile. "If you can sing the rest of YS's parts in the other songs, then you can sing Maria. It'll be no problem for you."

"Also, I have two request," Youngsaeng cut in.

The manager turned to him. "What is it?"

"I'm in a relationship right now and I want to spend the 24th with my partner," Youngsaeng told him.

"Yeah, you can do that. What's the second request?"

"This song caught my eye the other day," Youngsaeng started. "I really like the meaning of the lyrics and I would like to sing it solo since YS told me that my partner would be at the concert."

"This one?" the man echoed. "Hmm... Yeah, I can allow that. You can sing that solo. At the end, you mean?"

Youngsaeng nodded with a flame of determination in his eyes. "Yes. If I can sing at the end, that would be best."