Camellia

Fated to Meet You

Youngsaeng woke up early in the morning and almost immediately felt lips envelope his own. He quickly pulled away. "Aish~ Why don't you ever stop?"

"You always taste so sweet," Hyunjoong teased as he hugged the boy tightly.

"You don't get tired?"

The latter pecked the prince on the lips with a foolish grin. "Sugar gives me energy."

"Don't you dare approach me today," the otter warned. "My hurts like hell..."

"Hey, you can't stop me," the older boy reminded him.

"No, I'm warning you. I don't want you doing anything to me today," Youngsaeng sighed as he rolled around so that his back was facing the latter. "If you do, then no for the next two weeks."

"What??? But... I won the bet! You moaned so I get to do it with you whenever I want," Hyunjoong whined childishly.

"No, really Joongie. I doubt I can even walk properly right now. Last night, you did it to me so many times that I actually could not walk... at all."

There were a few moments of silence before Hyunjoong began talking again.

"Otter..." the boy began slowly, as if still in deep thinking.

"Neh?" as he rolled back over.

"I... Uh, what type of flower to you like?" Hyunjoong questioned.

"Flower?" Youngsaeng echoed as he gazed at his lover. "Where did that suddenly come from?"

The cow shrugged. "I just wanted to ask."

The otter furrowed his eyebrows as he dug deep into his mind, trying to think. "Um... I don't know..."

"Come on, just name a flower you like," Hyunjoong begged with a pout.

"I really don't know."

"Do you like roses?" the older boy questioned.

Youngsaeng hesitated. "Well, I guess... But if you want me to be honest, I don't like them that much."

"Then what flower do you like?" the latter insisted.

"Why do you want to know?"

"Just tell me!!!"

The prince fell silent again. He inhaled deeply, closing his eyes as he tried to think. Without warning, he smelt something, a light fragrance. Immediately recognizing it, he quickly sat up and look around to see where that smell was coming from but there was nothing around him that seemed like it could give off that scent. Hyunjoong sat up with him slowly.

"Youngsaeng? What's wrong?" the boy asked worriedly. "Did you suddenly think of something important?"

"No... That fragrance... It's camellia..." Hyunjoong heard the younger boy murmur as the latter continued to look around.

The older boy sniffed the air but cocked his head to the side in puzzlement. "Fragrance? There's nothing. It's not your imagination?"

Youngsaeng sighed and lay back down. "Perhaps it was... The scent's gone now..."

Hyunjoong pouted. "So... your favorite flower?"

The otter smiled. "I forgot about the flower for a while but yeah, I think it's camellia."

The cow nodded as he went into deep thought again, lying back down.

"Say..." Hyunjoong suddenly started with a mischievous smile. "Do you want to go on a vacation?"

Youngsaeng's eyebrow raised.

"I suddenly want to go visit a temple. Just from today to tomorrow. Let's go, come on, come on! Let's go!" Hyunjoong pleaded with his innocent, puppy eyes.

"What are you talking about? Now? Why don't we go next week so we have everything planned out?" the younger boy suggested. "That way we have a bit more time?"

The older boy pouted but nodded. "Yeah, okay."

"Which temple are we going to go to?" the prince asked.

Hyunjoong smiled. "It's a surprise. I once went there with my father before he passed away. He said that he first went there with his parents and said that it was his favorite temple so he brought me there, too. Now, it's my favorite temple."

"What's so great about it?"

"You'll see," Hyunjoong teased and yawned as he wrapped his arms around the boy again. "Let's sleep a little more. It's still early in the morning."

Youngsaeng smiled and closed his eyes with a light hum. He fell asleep and for the first time in ages, had a dream, a vivid one.

 

A man looked down at him with a warm smile as he walked up a few steps, carrying him in his strong arms. A few seconds later, there was the fragrance of camellia again.

"Son..." the man slowly began as he continued walking but was still speaking to the baby Youngsaeng.

Youngsaeng, who's consciousness had turned back into a baby opened his mouth to speak but all that came out was a "goo". But though he couldn't speak, he stil understood what his father was saying and could still think of replies. 

"This temple is a memorable place of your mother and I," he told Youngsaeng as he set the baby down onto the ground. Youngsaeng began to wail and kick around in the blanket when he felt the coldness of the stones seep through the blanket.

His father smiled sadly and left him there for a few more seconds before picking him up again.

"I'm sorry, I just wanted you to feel what the ground felt like," the man joked as he gently pecked the infant on the forehead, stopping him from bawling. "You're such a sweet boy, Youngsaeng-ah... I've come to this temple to pray again. Maybe you can pray, too, if you understand what I mean."

'Pray? What's what?'

The man walked into the temple and bowed to a passing monk, who stopped to talk to the father.

"It's been a long time. Is this your newly born son?" the monk asked curiously. "Wow, he's a beauty. How old?"

His father smiled. "Almost 2 months. He's definitely one of a kind, isn't he?"

"Yes, of course," the monk replied with a nod, holding onto his necklace of large, round beads. "What's his name?"

"Youngsaeng."

"That name has quite a ring to it," the monk praised with a grin with a bow. "Anyways, I'd better get going now. May you be well."

'Ooh... Was that man my dad's friend...? He seems nice.'

The father bowed back. "See you again soon."

Youngsaeng's father continued down the halls and came to a wall of the temple that was filled with wooden tiles with writing on them. From the table nearby, he picked up a clean wooden tile and with a fine brush, he dipped some ink and carefully wrote on it.

"Do you know what I'm writing?" the father asked playfully, his eyes still glazed with grief. "You won't be able to understand even if I tell you. When you grow up, make sure to come back and read what I wrote, alright?"

'Of course I can understand. Don't think so lowly of me. Yeah, I'll come back. Don't worry.'

The baby Youngsaeng smiled playfully and showed his toothless mouth, opening it to make baby words as he gently patted his father's cheek with his small, plump hands, as if wanting to comfort the man.

"This temple is famous for its camellia. You should come visit again soon. I love it as much as your mother loved it. Her favorite flower was the camellia."

His father chuckled lightly and sighed as he took the wodden plank and carried it over to the wall, hanging it up among the many wishes on the many nails pushed into the sturdy wall.

"I wish your mom were here to see how well you're growing up... She would've been so happy."

'Mom? She's not here? But Dad, what are you talking about? She's right behind you.'

Youngsaeng stared past his father and really did see a gorgeous woman, standing above and behind the man with a friendly smile, her eyes sparkling and her hair flowing down her back. She was floating a little over the father, her large wings outspread, as she looked down at the baby, giving off a golden, motherly aura. It was as if light was shining down upon her. 

 

"Youngsaeng? Youngsaeng. Otter," another voice floated in from another place.

Awoken from his dream, the boy opened his eyes and saw Hyunjoong looking down at him with worry in his eyes. "Otter, what's wrong? You weren't waking up. I was calling you but you didn't wake up."

"Sorry..." the boy sighed as he slowly sat up, ruffling his hair at the back. "I had a dream..."

"Oh? What is it about?" Hyunjoong asked curiously.

The prince furrowed his eyebrow as he thought but for some reason, even though it was so clear before, he could barely recall. "I... actually don't remember... That's strange, I know that the dream popped out at me. I have no idea..."

The older boy shrugged. "Oh well, that's pretty natural. Don't force yourself remember. Sometimes, if come back naturally. Like, you suddenly remember what it was about."

Youngsaeng smiled and nodded. "What time is it?"

"Noon."

"Eh? I slept for that long?" the otter exclaimed in shock as he quickly jumped out of the bed and felt a sudden pain in his lower back. He fell to the ground. "Ow..."

Hyunjoong hurried to his side and helped him up. "Are you okay? What happened?"

"What do you think? It's because of what you did to me last night," Youngsaeng grumbled as he limped towards the bathroom.

The cow chuckled and hurried after him. "I cooked brunch and it's downstairs so hurry down when you're done washing up."

"Okay, I'll be down in an hour," the otter shouted from within the washroom.

"What? That's so long," Hyunjoong whined.

"Who's fault do you think it is? I can barely even move right now!!!"