The Festival: Part 1

Fated to Meet You

The next day, as Youngsaeng was putting on his school uniform, he heard the doorbell ring. As he adjusted his tie, he opened the door to see his best friend with a wide grin printed on his face. 

"Hyungjun!" Youngsaeng exclaimed happily. "Good to see you. Here to pick me up?"

"Of course, what else would I be here for?" the brunette said as he stepped in. "Come on, hurry up."

"Arasseo, arasseo."

The older boy quickly took his bag and put on his shoes, then locked the door behind him. "Let's go."

"Hyung... What happened to your hair? It suddenly grew all the way past your shoulders," Hyungjun remarked with a raised eyebrow. 

"Oh, about that..." Youngsaeng started. 

... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... 

"WHAT???????!!!!!!!!!!!!"

"Ssssssshhhhh!!!!" Youngsaeng hissed, trying to quiet down his dongsaeng. "You're too loud!"

"You're dating Hyunjoong?" Hyungjun exclaimed in a whisper. "As a girl?!"

"Well, not really actually dating," Youngsaeng explained awkwardly. "It's just that I'm kind of in a debt right now because I accidentally broke a really expensive vase at his house so now I'm paying back the debt by being his fake girlfriend."

"But... Why you?"

The black-haired boy shrugged. "How am I supposed to know? Don't ask me. Ask him."

Youngsaeng and Hyungjun entered the classroom together, happily chatting when they spotted Hyunjoong walking towards Youngsaeng. 

"Eo, annyeonghase... yo..." Youngsaeng started to greet but then faded off when Hyunjoong walked past him as if he didn't notice Youngsaeng. 

"Ummm... Did something happen between you two again?" Hyungjun murmured. 

Youngsaeng shrugged. "I don't know. I'm kind of glad he's not talking to me anymore, anyway. Maybe that means that I'll be able to pay off my debt without even doing anything."

"You're so cheap," Hyungjun sighed, rolling his eyes. "Come on hyung, think! Did you do anything to upset him? I mean, before you were the one ignoring him. Now he's ignoring you."

Youngsaeng stopped walking towards his desk and actually did think. Yesterday when Hyunjoong went to his house, he was fine. And then he said he didn't want to go on a date with Hyunjoong and that he wasn't gay. Well, what else could he do? Hyunjoong kept pestering him about it. Of course he was asked to leave. 

"I can't think of anything," Youngsaeng replied after a while. 

Hyungju sighed. "Just think a little more at your desk. Maybe you should just go to him and apologize even without knowing what you're apologizing for."

"But what's the use of apologizing if I don't even know what I'm saying sorry for?"

"You guys are friends. He should understand."

The two separated and sat down at their respective seats. Youngsaeng saw Hyunjoong walk in and their eyes met but the older boy immediately turned away and sat down. 

'I did something to make him angry?' Youngsaeng thought, still not being understand. 'What did I do? I feel like I should be the one being angry at him, trying to make me go on dates with him so many times. I'm not even really dating him. I'm not his "girlfriend" and we don't even like each other... in that sense...'

Youngsaeng snapped out of his thoughts when he heard the teacher start to speak. 

"Okay everyone," the teacher started as he heavily put all his papers on the desk. "You should know already that the festival is coming up and our class is going to be working on the decorations."

"Ehh......?" the students groaned. "Why does it have to be us?"

"The teachers had decided that the students with the worst grade average would be doing the decorations. The only person who actually did well on the final exams was Youngsaeng," Mr. Lee, the homeroom teacher, explained. "So you'd better deal with it. I'm going to now announce the groups."

One student's hand shot up. 

"Yes? What is it?"

"Can't we choose our own jobs?" the girl asked.

"No, you can't. I'll be choosing it for you. Last year, the teacher let her students choose their jobs and the decorations ended in a disaster."

Hyunjoong had his hand up. 

"What's your question, Hyunjoong," Mr. Lee said. 

"It's not really a question, more like a request. If you put me into a group, can you put me into one that is not with Youngsaeng?" Hyunjoong questioned. 

Half of the class turned to stare at Hyunjoong and the other half stared at Youngsaeng. Youngsaeng raised his eyebrow in confusion. He was definitely still sulking but Youngsaeng still didn't know why. 

"Well, Hyunjoong, now that you've said that," Mr. Lee started. "You and Youngsaeng are going to paint the main wall of the stadium. By yourselves."

"Mr. Lee!" Youngsaeng exclaimed. "I don't want to be in the same group as Hyunjoong either. I'll paint it alone."

"No, since I see that you two are not on good terms, I hope that this will do good for you two," Mr. Lee remarked. "Now, let's announce the other groups."

... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... 

"Well then," Mr. Lee said, clapping his hands for the class' attention. "I expect all of you to start right away. Please do your work with enthusiasm and do a good job. If you don't, I will give you another exam and it will count for marks."

The class grumbled in frustration. 

"Let's get started everyone. These are all due by this Thursday."

Everyone slowly got up from their seats and dragged their feet to meet with their group in order to come up with ideas for decorations. Youngsaeng took out a piece of paper and started to design something on his own, not bothering to even go to Hyunjoong for help. 

When he was satisfied, he got up and looked at his hyung. Hyunjoong was fast asleep on the desk. Not caring, he started down the hall for paint and painting brushes and supplies. When he arrived at the stadium's back wall, he realized how big it really was when there was only one person standing in front of it. 

He clenched his fists in front of him and nodded. "Yosh! Let's do this!"

Opening the cans of paint, he began to paint the giant sheet of a white paper that covered the wall with all he had. He had to finish this in three days by himself and that's what he was going to do. Who needed Hyunjoong's help anyway?

Hyunjoong watched from a distance, from outside the stadium and just watched as Youngsaeng began to paint. The boy climbed up giant ladders and moved them on his own to reach the top. He wanted to help but yesterday had really hurt his feelings. He was rejected before he even said anything. 

"Hyungjun!" he heard Youngsaeng exclaim in surprise. 

"Yo!" Hyungjun called. "I have a feeling you need some help since it doesn't seem like Hyunjoong hyung is helping very much."

"No, it's alright. I'm planning to do this all myself. You might get in trouble with Mr. Lee if you help me," Youngsaeng pointed out. 

Hyungjun climbed up the ladder and stood face to face with Youngsaeng. "You know, I must be gay because I choose you even though I know I'm probably going to get bashed pretty hard in the head by that teacher."

Youngsaeng giggled. "Let's start then."

They continued to paint until the bell rang loud outside and the students ran through the hallways in a rush to go home but the two didn't stop. 

Youngsaeng sat down with his brush after a few hours when he heard his stomach growl. "Hyungjun, let's order some pizza. Do you want some?"

"Of course hyung. Get me a whole pizza," Hyungjun ordered and Youngsaeng smiled. 

Half an hour later, the pizza delivery man came and Youngsaeng paid for two pizzas and two bottles of pop. The two joyfully sat on the stage, eating pizza and commenting on their work. They were actually having fun. 

"Haha~ Mr. Lee is going to get so mad at us," Hyungjun chuckled when he saw the bad painting job they did on the white sheet. 

"It's so messy," Youngsaeng laughed. 

After eating, they washed their hands and started painting again, not caring how dirty their uniforms became. Finally, at about 8:00, they decided to stop and continue tomorrow. 

After Youngsaeng and Hyungjun left. Hyunjoong called Kyujong and Jungmin to go over to the stadium. 

"We're going to paint more of that," Hyunjoong said to them. 

"Why didn't you just go and help Youngsaeng?" Jungmin asked curiously. 

"I'm still trying to avoid talking to him and stuff. I prefer to do this in secret so he doesn't know," Hyunjoong replied and picked up a paint brush. "Let's start."

The three painted from night to 4:00 in the morning. 

"Wow, the two really did a pretty horrible job," Kyujong commented when he saw the wall. 

"They only have three days. What do you expect?" Jungmin questioned and then also started to paint. 

Finally, when the sky was getting lighter and the sun began to rise, the three stopped and put the brushes away. The whole wall was almost fully covered by paint. 

"We'll just skip school for today," Hyunjoong remarked with a big yawn. "We can come back at night after they leave to help paint again."

"What a nice boyfriend you are," Kyujong sarcastically commented and soon, they headed home. 

 

The next morning, Youngsaeng and Hyungjun headed to the stadium to continue painting. They furrowed their eyebrows in puzzlement when they saw the wall.

"Did we really paint this much last night?" Youngsaeng asked the younger boy.

Hyungjun shrugged. "Miracles happen."

Not thinking anymore, the two picked up the brushes and began to paint again. They continuously did the job for hours, stopped for a while to eat lunch and rest, and then continued.

"How are you two doing?" a male voice came from behind and below them.

They looked down to see Mr. Lee standing there with his arms crossed.

"We'll definitely be finished by the due date," Hyungjun said with a fire of determination in his eyes.

"I hope so. And where is Hyunjoong?"

Youngsaeng shrugged. "Somewhere. Don't worry, Hyungjun and I can finish this painting just fine without him."

"You two had better do a good job."

"Don't worry, we will!" Hyungjun exclaimed with enthusiasm.

They continued to paint for a long time until night time again. Finally, the whole wall was covered in paint. Youngsaeng and Hyungjun sighed in exhaustion but smiled at their work.

"We really did a horrible work, didn't we?" Youngsaeng chuckled.

Hyungjun nodded with a light hum. "I guess we'll go add the details tomorrow."

"Let's do that."

The two packed up their stuff and went home.

A few hours later, Hyunjoong and his two friends arrived and looked at the wall. "At least they finished it the basics," he remarked as he picked up a brush and dipped it in paint. "Let's make it better.

 

Once again, when Youngsaeng and Hyungjun arrived at the stadium early in the morning, they noticed that their painting seemed to look better than before.

"Umm... Are you sure we painted it this well yesterday?" Hyungjun asked in confusion.

Youngsaeng shrugged. "I feel like someone else was also here painting."

"Do you know who?"

"I can't think of anyone who would do it. No one really enjoys working on decorations and I don't think anyone would help with extra."

Working hard and diligently, they began to touch onto the details. They went home at night and again, Hyunjoong, Kyujong and Jungmin went in to put on the finishing touches. It didn't take long and they were able to go home early to sleep.

 

On the morning of the day that Mr. Lee was going around to check, Youngsaeng got to the stadium before Hyungjun and he saw a painting that he and Hyungjun didn't draw when they had left. It was added after they left. Right at that moment, he knew who had been painting.

He dashed out and up towards the roof, knowing that he was definitely there. Slamming open the door and panting, he ran outside onto the roof and looked around. Sure enough, there he was, sitting against the building wall with his head down, fast asleep. Gasping for breath and sweating, Youngsaeng stepped towards him but didn't wake him up. Instead, he slid down beside the older boy and decided to just wait until he woke up.

A couple of hours later, Hyunjoong stirred and noticed that he had an extra jacket on him with something leaning on his shoulder. Turning, he saw that Youngsaeng was asleep beside him with his head on his shoulder. The boy was afraid Hyunjoong would be cold and put the jacket over his shoulders even though he was shuddering in his own sleep.

Youngsaeng woke up when Hyunjoong moved slightly to give the jacket to him. The young otter looked up at Hyunjoong and looked away. "Hyung, you were the one that was helping paint the wall right? You painted the picture of the golden retriever and Hachi with me by the river bank, right?"

"Yeah, it was me," Hyunjoong replied. "I guess it was obvious after I painted that picture."

"Hyung, I really don't understand why you're avoiding me and why you're angry at me but I'm apologizing for whatever I did."

Hyunjoong sighed. "Honestly, I don't really know why either. It's just my personal feelings, I guess."

The two sat there for a while before they suddenly realized that Mr. Lee had began the check up.

"We have to go," Hyunjoong exclaimed and he pulled Youngsaeng along with him as they hurried back to the stadium.