The Truth

Fated to Meet You

With Hyunjoong leading, Hyungjun, Jungmin and Kyujong all dashed out of the van and into the hospital. They slammed into the front desk, beads of sweat dripping.

"Excuse me, is there a patient named Heo Youngsaeng here?" Hyunjoong asked quickly, panting and gasping for air.

The counterman looked at his binder and flipped the pages and then nodded. "Yep, he's in the emergency operation room right now though."

"Can you please tell us his condition?"

"You'll have to go ask a doctor," he replied. "Go to Room 205 and Dr. Jung should be there."

They bowed. "Thank you very much!" And ran off.

"Please slow down in the hospital, please," the man called after them. "And don't make too much noise."

Arriving at Room 205, they knocked on the door and it opened a few seconds later.

"Excuse me, are you Doctor Jung?" Kyujong questioned the middle-aged looking man.

He nodded. "Yes, and you are the patient, Heo Youngsaeng's relatives, I assume."

"I'm Kim Hyunjoong. The one you called. We're his friends."

"Oh yes, come in, come in. I'll tell you about Youngsaeng's condition."

The four boys filed into the room and it closed behind them. They settled on the seats and anticipated for the news.

"Well..." Dr. Jung started. "Right now, his breathing is still incredibly faint and so is his heartbeat and pulse."

"He will live right?" Hyungjun interrogated. "He will definitely live, right?"

Dr. Jung hesitated. "I'm a professional doctor and a surgeon but I have no idea what the outcomes will be. The other nurses, doctors and surgeons are currently working to try to save Youngsaeng in the room but he has more of a chance of dying than living for he had major injuries and wounds when the bystanders found him."

"Do you know what happened to him? How was he hurt?" Jungmin asked curiously.

"Judging by the position when they found him, they said that he probably fell from a tree and hit his head on the ground. There was a bullet wound on his left upper arm and he has no chance of regaining the ability to run anymore as his ligament is completely torn. Even if it heals, he will only be able to jog for a few minutes or sprint for a few seconds but that's it."

"But... how is all that life-threatening?" Kyujong questioned.

"The final blow from hitting his head onto the ground made a huge impact. He damaged his skull and his spinal cord. Not to mention, he had burn marks on his back along with a twisted ankle and a major blood loss from the gun shot," Dr. Jung explained seriously.

"So... he has a better chance of dying than living..." Hyunjoong murmured in shock. "But the doctors are still trying to save him, right?"

"They are but doctors are not miracle-workers. They can't save everyone. The bystanders told me that the boy had fallen there right after the explosion in the hotel. Do you know if it's related to the explosion?" Dr. Jung asked them.

All of the boys looked at Kyujong.

"Well..." Kyuojong started. "He pushed Hyunjoong hyung and I into the elevator and said that he would act as a decoy so we could get on the roof. He stayed there until the elevator door closed and then I didn't see him again. But hyung and I were successfully rescued the hyung's mom's helicopter from the roof. We didn't know what had happened to him though."

Dr. Jung thought for a while. "And the criminals chased after him right? Then the explosion were probably caused by them, too. The burn marks may be done by the explosion. The only way Youngsaeng-ssi could've gotten a bullet in him was if they were holding a gun."

A knock came from the door.

"Come in."

Another man with a white lab coat poked his head in. "The operation is finished."

Dr. Jung shot up from his seat. "What's his condition? Is he going to live?"

The doctor stepped inside and closed the door behind him, sighing. "We did the best we could. We don't know if he will live or not. The rest is up to his willpower to live or not."

Dr. Jung turned to the four boys who had stood up from their seats, their eyes in wide with shock.

"Do you want to see him? Follow me."

As Dr. Jung started walking out the door with the other doctor following, the four men snapped out of their shock mode and hurried after the doctors. He stopped in front a room with the name plate 'Heo Youngsaeng'.

"Here it is," he said and opened the door for the boys. "Please don't make too much noise."

"Hyung!" Hyungjun exclaimed, ignoring the doctor and rushing in before the others.

They crowded around the bed, trying not to make noise when they saw the young boy lying on the bed with a breathing mask, the machine beeping and measuring his breaths, unconscious and unaware of his surroundings. He had bandages wrapped around his left arm and around his head.

"Youngsaeng-ah..." Kyujong murmured under his breath. "Get better soon, arasseo?"

Hyungjun started to cry again when he saw the state of the boy. He was barely alive, just clinging to life by one small thread. His breathing was faint that it seemed like the beeping would go flat any second.

Hyunjoong sat on the stool and took Youngsaeng's limp hand, holding it close to his mouth and gently caressed it, closing his eyes. Jungmin poked Kyujong on the shoulder to get his attention.

"I think we should leave the two alone for a second," he said, being considerate of his hyung.

Kyujong agreed and pulled Hyungjun along out of the room, leaving Hyunjoong and the severely wounded patient together. Right after he heard the door close, he let his tears fall.

"Youngsaeng..." he sniffled. "I'm sorry... It's all my fault. I should have just died if you were going to get hurt like this... When you wake up and recover... We'll be able to go to the zoo like you wanted, and I'll take you to the amusement park. We can go ride the ferris wheels and the rollercoasters. We can do everything you've dreamed of. Wake up... Don't leave me alone..."

But his pleads didn't help. Youngsaeng couldn't hear him. The beeping continued as his breathing was as light as ever.

"WHAT?????" he heard a shriek from outside the door.

It burst open and in stormed his mother. Her hair on fire and her eyes ablaze. "Are you saying that Hyunjoong was lying to me???"

The doctor ran in, trying to calm the woman down. "Please, this is a hospital. It's best if you quiet down."

His mother stomped towards her son. "Is this the boy that you were dating? Tell me. Is he the one? Were you actually lying to me?"

Hyunjoong stood up and clutched onto Youngsaeng's hand, his eyes sharp like daggers. "Yeah, that's right. I was actually lying to you. I was trying to trick you into believing that I had a girlfriend."

"Just why did you do that? That's the first time you turned against me. Why--"

"Why do you think?" Hyunjoong shouted in fury. "Isn't the answer right in front of you? I've been telling you over and over that I don't want to get married, I don't want to go on blind dates, I don't want to go out with the ugly girls in the pictures that you give me every single day! Do you know how much that's been pissing me off? I hate being the heir of the Everyday Company! If this is what life is like for rich people, then I'm going to go kill myself by jumping off a bridge!"

"You are my son. I worked hard to raise you," his mother growled. "So you will obey me. You WILL obey me as your mother."

"I won't!" and was cut off with a sharp sound.

Hyunjoong's pupils rounded in shock and his head was sideways and his cheek started to throb. His mother narrowed her eyes, putting her hand down.

"You will obey me. You will not start dating a boy. If you don't want to the girls I choose, fine. But if that is the path you choose, then you will not date anyone!" she commanded, glaring. "Especially not him."

"Why not him?" Hyunjoong exclaimed in anger, tears boiling up as he ignored the sting in his cheek.

"You know why," Ms. Kim sneered. "Do you think I'm stupid? Do you think I'd actually believe that you had a girlfriend? I'm not rich for nothing. I can track down anyone's past within seconds."

"You looked into Youngsaeng's past? How could you?" Hyunjoong argued. "That's invading private property. I can report you right now!"

"Just you try," his mother glowered. "I doubt you will be able to do anything. If you report your own mother, this good life of yours will be something you can say good-bye to."

Hyunjoong stayed silent but glared at his mother.

"This boy," his mother started and walked to Youngsaeng's side. "Is defenseless right now."

She put her hand onto the mask and tightened her grip. "I can kill him right here, right now."

"You wouldn't dare," Hyunjoong growled, his eyes starting to glow in the light.

"I will do it," she said as she looked at her hand on the mask. "I can rip this mask off and he'll die. That's all I have to do."

"Kill him and I will commit suicide," her son threatened in a low voice. "Do anything to him and you'll be stabbed in the back."

His mother smirked and rolled her eyes. "You will actually try to kill yourself? Well, why don't we see?"

She tightened her grip and was about to take the mask off when Hyunjoong rushed forward and pinned his mother to the wall, his hands on , his eyes full of hatred and anger, his breath low. "If you do anything to Youngsaeng, ANYTHING to this defenseless boy, I will make sure to everything I can to make your life miserable."

"Oh? And what would that be?" she asked with a evil grin. "I can do anything to you since you're my son and I have the right. I have the money, too so what can you do about it?"

"You may have the money, you may have the authority, but you don't have the power to control me like a puppet," Hyunjoong hissed. "I'm not a toy you can just play with and toss aside when you feel like it. I've never even been thought of a son, just as a heir of the Everyday Company."

The woman grit her teeth in annoyance and slapped her son again, making a high-pitched hitting sound.

"What is wrong with you? Is that something to say to your mother?"

Hyunjoong didn't care anymore and also slapped his mother back as hard as he could. His mother shot a knife at him with her eyes. "How dare you slap your own mother?"

"I dare to slap you!" he shouted at her. "My mother? Are you sure you're my mother? Are you sure I wasn't adopted?"

"What's that supposed to mean? I was the one who gave birth to you!!!" his mother yelled.

"ARE YOU THAT CONFIDENT??!!!" he screamed in fury. "IF THAT'S THE CASE, THEN I'M ASHAMED TO BE YOUR SON. ASHAMED TO BE PART OF YOUR FAMILY. ASHAMED THAT YOU ARE MY MOTHER!!!!!!"

The door burst open and everyone else ran in, pulling Hyunjoong away from his mother. He struggled to get out of the grip of Kyujong and Jungmin.

"Let go!" he exclaimed. "Let go of me! This woman is a damned ! Let go of me!!!!!"

Ms. Kim smiled with cold eyes. "See? Even your friends are on my side. They're defending me, protecting me. How does it feel like to be betrayed by your own friends?"

Hyunjoong stopped struggling and stood there, his arms still held back by his two friends, his glare containing as much hatred as it could fit, burning with anger. "You're such a rotten woman, such a detestable woman."

"Think what you want. The history book won't rewrite itself on its own."

Suddenly, they saw Hyunjoong start to smirk. His mother narrowed her eyes in suspicioun. "And what's that smile about? Have you finally realized how wronged you were?"

"No, quite the opposite," he corrected. "You are a rotten woman, you are a detestable woman, you're lonely and have been ever since Dad passed away. You think ruining my life will make you forget the pain, don't you? You think that getting me married will make you forget the pain. You don't want me to get together with the person I love because you were never able to so now you're also making me feel that, aren't you?"

His mother's smile immediately faded and she death glared him. "You dare bring your father up? You have no right to talk about him at all! You have absolutely no right! You were the one that killed him!"

"I killed him?" Hyunjoong exclaimed in surprise. "You're a crazy woman, you've become CRAZY!!! What's your problem? You're trying to put the blame on me when it was you who did it?"

"Me? Where has your mind flown off to?"

"You were the one that caused Dad to die! I miss him, too! Don't you understand? I miss him a lot, too. It's not only you feeling pain. Just because he passed away doesn't mean I don't miss him."

"What makes you think that you miss him? You don't even go visit his grave, you don't do anything for him!"

"I don't visit his grave...?" Hyunjoong echoed softly. "I don't visit his grave? Why did you think that the grave was so clean whenever you went there? Why did you think the flowers were always fresh? Did you think that Dad's soul always came to revive the flowers you gave him and clean the grave for you? Did you think he'd do such a thing for a woman like you?"

"How dare you--"

"I was always scared!" he blurted loudly. "I was afraid my whole life! Do you know why? Because I couldn't remember what Dad looked like anymore! I couldn't remember! Was it really my fault? You hid all of the picture albums from me and did everything you could to make me forget Dad. I never forgot him. Not even for a second. I never ever forgot him and I got scared when I couldn't remember what he looked like anymore! Do you know how frightened I was? Do you HAVE ANY IDEA OF HOW I FELT???????"

"You--"

Hyunjoong smirked as a tear trinkled down his cheek. "That's right... You're a heartless woman, a cruel mother that never thought of the feelings of her son. How would you ever understand? You would never have any idea of the amount of grief I had built up in my heart."

"You seem fine right now!" his mother cut in. "It doesn't seem like at all that you're hurting."

"Do you know why?" he questioned. "This boy, the boy lying on the bed right now, was the only one who could release all of that sorrow. He was the one who made me the most happy. Whenever I was with him, I felt happy. Whenever I couldn't be with him, my heart would hurt. Whenever I thought about him, I wanted to see him. He was the one who made my life bright again!"

"You seemed happy enough with your friends! What do you need him for?"

"See? This is why you'll never understand. You'll never understand the meaning of love. I'm even doubting the fact that you even loved Dad."

"Are you--"

"That's right. I hate you. I will despise you for the rest of my life. I definitely won't forgive you."

"Well then," his mother started as she stepped back towards Youngsaeng. "Now that you already hate me, then there won't be that much more hatred if I kill this boy, right?"

She placed her hand on the mask. Hyunjoong's eyes widened. "ANDWAE!!!!!!!!!!!!"

With a light smirk, she ripped the breathing mask off of Youngsaeng's face.

*BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE...P*

Hyunjoong ripped his arms out of Kyujong's and Jungmin's clutches. The doctor also ran to help.

"No. No. No. No. No." Hyunjoong repeated, pushing his mother to the side and taking the breathing mask, trying to put it on the dying boy again.

"Move aside," Dr. Jung ordered. "This is a doctor's job. We'll save him somehow."

Obeying, Hyunjoong stood aside and clenched his fist, biting his bottom lip as more doctors and nurses filed in. Hyunjoong whipped his head around to face his mother, who was leaning on the wall with her arms crossed in front of her chest. He narrowed his eyes and approached her. Kyujong and Jungmin were about to restrain him again but he glared coldly at them, causing them to stop in their tracks. Turning back to his own mother, he started to speak.

"I've had enough of you," he started quietly. "Ever since I just entered highschool, you had been forcing me to go on blind dates and search for a marriage partner, being totally ignorant towards my feelings about it and not listening to any word I was saying. Even if I scream and shout, like just now, you won't listen, you won't take the time to think, not even for a second."

"What's your point?"

He smirked and made her look up to stare right into her eyes. "If you won't listen to what I want and what I need, then why should I obey you?"

"Because--"

"I know, because you're my mother. But I'm sorry, I didn't understand this when I was young but now I do. I don't acknowledge you as my mother anymore. I dont' want you as my mother anymore."

His mother chuckled. "My, my... Hyunjoong-ah, you've really grown haven't you? Well that's not possible. I'm your birth mother and you can't avoid that fact. Even if you don't acknowledge it, that fact will always be right in front of you and it will always be true."

"I don't care about that. The only person I really care about it now is Youngsaeng. If you do anything to him, ANYTHING, you will pay."

"With what? My life?"

He smiled with frost glazed eyes causing even chills to run down his mother's spine.

"Yep, that's right. You will definitely pay with your life."