The Proposal

Love Game

The whole gang was seated in Somin's living room munching on Granny's homemade cookies.

"Haraemoni, these are yum!" Jessica cried "You've got to give me the recipe!"

"Ah it's pretty basic dear...I'll teach you" Granny said

The noisy living room fades as they all hear a car stopping at the driveway.

"That must be Paul" Hyunjoong rose up and opened the door just in time to find Paul climbing up the porch steps

"Ah Hyunjoong my boy!" he squeeked and spread his arms.He wore an ash round neck t-shirt and torn three quarter jeans which made him look shorter than he already was. His silky silver hair was knotted in a bun on top his head giving an impression of an antenna while his beard were tied with a charm hair band. He wore an embellished blue velvet oversized shrug lined with beads which announced his every move. Paul's wadrobe for today was a tad bit normal than last time but only by his standards. It still knocked the socks off people who werent acquinted to him.

"I am not sure how I feel about this man" Granny whispered

"Me too" Somin nodded "But Hyunjoong says he's good"

"But is he sane?"

Somin poked Granny to be quiet as Hyunjoong brought Paul for introduction.

Paul greeted everyone and then sat down. Jandi timidly sat opposite to him. "Hyunjoong oppa told me you wanted to see me?" she asked

"Yes yes..." Paul said thoughtfully tugging at the end of his long silvery beard "You know about the variety show 'We Got Married'?"

"Ofcourse sir"Jandi nodded eagerly

"We are prepping for a new season of  'We Got Married' and I have a proposition for you"

Jandi's mouth opened but no  voice came out. She could understand what Paul was hinting at but she couldnt believe it."I accept it!" she blurted out, unable to control her excitement

Paul was stunned at her sudden response "Hear me out first?"

"Oh I'm so sorry" Jandi abruptly brought her hand to . Her face was evidently red with embarrassment"I'm sorry I'm sorry...I just...I just...it would be an honour to work for you sir..I dont care about my position...I can even clean the set if you want me to!" she paused to catch her breath "So whatever it is, I accept.."

"Well I am sorry...I understand I might have given you a wrong impression...." Paul said rolling his hands over each other in circles "I am not proposing you to be a part of the crew"

Excitement drained out of Jandi's face immediately. The others, who were spectators to this conversation felt sad for Jandi but at the same time relieved since they were still concerned about her health

"Actually....I want you to be part of the cast" Paul finished sending shock waves throughout the room

"A part of the cast?" Jandi finally asked in complete disbelief "But it's a celebrity variety show...I am no celebrity"

Paul leaned back and looked at her closely. Jandi stared back at him in equal confusion. "Are you kidding me?" he finally said "Dont you read the papers?"

"The papers?" Jandi repeated looking even more disarrayed.

Paul put his hand in his pocket and brought forward his tab "You are all over them?"

Jandi swiped through the headlines and then remembered the day she had the attack. She was so angry at embarrassed about her attack that she completely forgot about the reporters and their camera flashes that ultimately led to her attack.

"We have been keeping her away from these" Hyunjoong said taking the tab away from Jandi and handing it back to Paul. "We wanted her recovery--"

"Recovery? From what?"

"Nothing!" Jandi interjected. She looked around at Hyunjoong giving him a stern look which he never thought Jandi was capable of. "They were just protecting me from the media...they didnt want me to...you know.."

"Ah..." Paul sighed in relief "but you've turned the tabloids' favourite. Everyone is curious about you, wants to know who you are, how you are--"

"I am sorry Paul but Jandi cant take this up" Hyunjoong stated firmly

Paul looked in surprise at Hyunjoong and then turned to Jandi.

"She has got enough attention as it is...she is returning to Busan today--"

"I'll take it"

"What?" Hyunjoong snapped "Jandi you can't--"

"I can and I will" Jandi stated "I am sorry but you dont have any right to take my decisions. I dont mean to be disrespectful but do you guys realize how much problem you've put me through?" Jandi rose up and faced the room. "I came here to watch your comeback performance putting alot of money at stake. Then I got dragged into all this Somin's kidnapping mess. You asked me to stay back I did. You just thought about your convenience, you didnt want to let me go since you wanted to celebrate but my life is hard! I am a student desperate to complete my degree to get a job so that I can support my family. You say I need to return to Busan today? I needed to return weeks ago to hunt for internships."

"You can join me when you feel well" Dong Sun cried

"When I feel well or when you think I feel well...cause I am certain that is never going to happen. And even if you did, it would be out of pity, not my merit" Jandi turned back to Paul "I need this sir. Desperately."

"Okay.." Paul said slowly, he didnt realize that matters will turn this intense "We are starting shoot tomorrow. so I'll send over a car"

"Thank you"she sighed and then turning to the others she said "I'll see myself out as well"

"Jandi wait!" Jihoo ran after her

"I didnt know this would turn out this way" Paul said to the rest. Everyone was silent, Hyunjoong and Dong Sun felt hurt and it was evident from their faces."The kid is just angry" he said shaking DongSun's arm in condolence "She didnt really mean things that way"

"We never thought she would see things this way...we were just...I dunno anything anymore" Hyunjoong said and fell back to the sofa.

"She'll come around" Paul assured

"I dont care if she does at this point" Somin came forward "We were just trying to look out for her! Yes I understand everything that has happened probably hampered her internship timelines but to blame us for it like that! She has insulted Hyunjoong and Dong Sun, both of them just wanted her wellbeing"

=======================================================================================

"Jandi! jandi! Jihoo followed Jandi to Somin's room. Jandi ran and grabbed the handle of her suitcase and turned around swiftly, trying her best to avoid Jihoo, but she couldnt. Jihoo blocked her "What are you doing? Where are you going?"

"After what just happened, I dont think anybody wants me here" she said, staring fixedly at the ground, tears pooling in her eyes.

"I understand...things have gone out of hand...but it still can be mended. Go and aapologize and they will--"

"I DONT WANT TO APOLOGIZE" she said, tears sprinkling out of her eyes

"Jandi please be rational!  You dont have anywhere to go to! Just calm down for abit will you?"

Jandi shoved his hands away and walked past him out of the room. She took hurried long steps as she entered the living room. She glanced at everyone and the disappointment was evident in their faces. She wanted to explain, apologize just like Jihoo asked her to, but she was too embarrassed and furious.

Jihoo came running after her "Guys please!" he urged but nobody responded, Somin and Jessica infact looked away to their respecting partners. "Guys she didnt mean any of it...you all know that...she feels sorry...she is just embarrassed to accept it"

Again none responded. Jandi tugged at her suitcase and stormed out of the door.

"Jandi!" Jihoo cried "Guys please she has nowhere to go!"

"Even if we try to help her Jihoo, she wont accept it" Kyu said

"Paul" Hyunjoong suddenly said. "Can you please provide her a place to stay. She'll take it from you" Paul nodded and went out to find Jandi

For the first time, Jihoo felt thankful to Hyunjoong. Their eyes met and they exchanged silent words of gratitude.He went out as well to check if Paul found Jandi. Much to his relief, Jihoo found them right at the corner of the street. He hid himself, in case his appearance provoked Jandi to reject Paul. He watched as Paul spoke to her caressing her hands. He sighed in relief when Jandi nodded and Paul smiled patting her head. Paul took out his mobile and Jihoo turned around at the sound of Paul's car engines. The Suv passed Jihoo and  stopped beside Jandi. Jihoo watched as Paul instructed his driver and helped Jandi get into the car. When the car left Jihoo finally showed himself.

"Dont worry. I have a studio apartment at Seoul. She will be staying there"

Jihoo nodded

"I didnt anticipate what happened...I ahve a feeling there's more to it than what meets the eye"

Jihoo sighed and went on to narrate Jandi's attack and everything that followed till date

"We are just concerned about her...abit too much perhaps...but that's because none of us have any experience with epileptic patients...and her attack...it was scary to see her that way" Jihoo shuddered at the memory "But she just wont budge...she's taking everything the wrong way!"

Paul nodded thoughtfully

"I am sorry sir...but I wish you hadnt come" Jihoo said looking away. "This job offer...I dont think she can handle it...but I cant ask you to take it away either...it'll crush her!" he ran his hand through his hair "I am just worried...am really worried for her. What if she has another attack...I looked up epilepsy and I found high anxiety triggers it sometimes...what if her nerves get the better of her and she has another attack?"

They walked two three steps and then suddenly he turned around "Who is she paired with? Maybe I can teach him what I know...We can call in that  Jinhyuk guy...he can give him some tips too"

"Well there is no guy yet" Paul sighed

"What?"

"Yes we are still looking for an interesting match for her...but now when I hear of her condition...I realize we need to be extra cautious." Paul said thoughtfully. Then it hit him. "Oh dear God, please forgive me" Paul prayed silently "I never wanted to pop the question like this...but.."

Paul looked at Jihoo"Will you be willing to be paired with her?"

Jihoo's jaw fell open