The Last Run - III

Love Game

Hyunjoong and Somin stared at Youngsaeng with his mouth wide open.

“Why are you guys looking at me like that?” Youngsaeng inquired slightly abashed by their continuing stare. But the couple didn’t pay heed to his embarrassment. “Oh for God’s sake guys! SAY SOMETHING!” Youngsaeng cried in desperation

That reaction broke their stance and they finally blinked. Hyunjoong sighed “Can you believe this guy!” he said turning to Somin. Somin didn’t say anything but bit her lip and glanced at Youngsaeng in a way that clearly stated that though she didn’t say it out loud she was definitely on Hyunjoong’s side on this one.

“Why? What’s wrong?” Youngsaeng said in panic

“What’s wrong?” Hyunjoong rose up. “What’s wrong is that you took this act abit too far!” he pressed his temples and breathed heavily. “Look Youngsaeng…we were already taking a huge risk with the fake military letter. It was our sheer luck that Buin—“ he stopped seeing Youngsaeng’s  face stiffen as he called Hwangbo like that.”I mean Hwangbo…didn’t see through that fake letter! What if she finds about it now! GOD! You should have accepted her at the chapel!”

“The proposal at the chapel was out of panic and pressure!” Youngsaeng rose up too “I want her to say ‘I love you’ and really mean it!”

“Calm down you two” Somin separated the two men before they pounced on each other. Once they were at a safe distance from each other Somin said, “Youngsaeng…I think what Hyunjoong is trying to say here is our aim was to make Hwangbo realize which I guess she did otherwise she wouldn’t have proposed…telling her to declare her love publically is probably abit too much…are you certain you are not doing that only to feel good about yourself, to make her pay for all the times she rejected you?”

“No!” Youngsaeng shook his head vehemently “Look guys…as far as I know Hwangbo she proposed to protect me! Just like she separated herself from me to protect me before!”

 Hyunjoong and Somin listened as he narrated

“I don’t want her to propose to me publically just to feed my pride! I did what I did because I don’t want a temporary relationship or protection program! I want her to be with me for life at her own will” Youngsaeng sighed

“I get it” Hyunjoong finally said and hugged . Somin smiled and patted Youngsaeng’s back

Hyunjoong released Youngsaeng and s his arm around Somin. “But what if…” Hyunjoong’s voice faded but everyone understood the question

“Well then…it just wasn’t meant to be” Youngsaeng answered with a slight smile. The smile didn’t reach his eyes nor formed the beautiful dimple in his cheek—it clearly showed the fear and pain arousing in him at the possibility of such a situation

He turned and left the room. Hyunjoong and Somin watched as he walked away.

“I hope unnie comes around” Somin said worriedly

“I hope she does too” Hyunjoong breathed and kissed Somin’s forehead briefly. Somin understood he was as concerned about Youngsaeng as she was.

The couple walked upto the sofa and crashed onto it. Somin adjusted herself settle her head in Hyunjoong’s lap.

“You tired?” Hyunjoong whispered massaging her scalp slowly

“Mmm…abit.”

“Don’t worry…everything will be fine” He said and planted another kiss on her forhead. He picked up the remote and switched on the TV.

“Can you switch to the 10 o’ clock news?” Somin asked

“I was planning to watch the soccer repeat” Hyunjoong denied

“C’mon baby please just the headlines” Somin pouted

“Uh okay..”Hyunjoong rolled his eyes and started surfing the channels for the 10 o’ clock news “Huh! How about that…we are acting like a married couple now”

“Nah if we were married I wouldn’t have bothered to ask…I would have straight away snatched the remote like this!” Somin joked and took the remote from Hyunjoong sticking out her tongue

“Oh really?” Hyunjoong looked at her in astonishment “Well married couples don’t watch TV at night”

“They don’t?” Somin inquired innocently “Why?”

“Cause they are busy making babies!” Hyunjoong said in his husky tone and swiftly leaned closer.

Somin shrieked  and tried to run but Hyunjoong was too strong.He caught her easily and laid her down on sofa and crouched over her

Somin uncontrollably let out a giggle.

“Oh you think it’s funny, do you?” Hyunjoong narrowed his eyes.

“Yes sir” Somin abit more.

“Oh looks like I have to give you a demo of how married couples spend their nights..”Hyunjoong said inching closer.

“Well show me if you know” Somin joked and hyunjoong came even more closer. He was close to her, now,awfully close. She could feel the tingling of his breath brushing against her cheeks. He tilted his head and placed his hand on the small of her back. His simple touch sent sparks up her spine, causing her to shake. "Is this okay with you?" He asked, gazing into her eyes. Hyunjoong knew of Somin’s insecurities, this was all new for her. He needed to take caution, handle her with extreme care. Somin was stunned at herself, somehow all this didn’t feel quite wrong now. Tonight she really wanted to be kissed by Hyunjoong and kiss him back as well. She simply nodded and in one breath pulled herself even closer to Hyunjoong. Getting Somin’s unsaid consent Hyunjoong didn’t waste time in claiming her lips. His lips met hers slowly. Blood rushed to Somin’s head, making her feel light and fuzzy. Hyunjoong pulled away slowly,giving her time to absorb that kiss but she ran her fingertips through his hair, and pulled him back in. Their lips moved together, and their hands moved over each-other's bodies. She felt him glide his tongue against her lower lip. With a little uncertainity due to inexperience, she opened to let him in. She was ecstatic to feel that the move was correct as their tongues slid against each other, and their lips were still in motion. Hyunjoong was swept away in the happiness of being able to kiss Somin so freely and to his heart’s content. Ofcourse he wouldn’t take it the whole way today, he remembered their promise to do it only after marriage. But still this was uplifting somehow. He felt victorious to have finally knocked down a wall and getting closer to Somin emotinally. Somin could feel him smile through the kiss as he cupped his hand over her cheek. She was happy too—all her previous fears,inhibitions didn’t hinder her today to the slightest. Kissing Hyunjoong, being in his arms, feeling him, holding him like this felt as natural as breathing. Hyunjoong pulled away from her lips, but kept his lips lingering on her skin. He kissed down her jawline and traced her collarbones. She tilted her head back, letting him graze his lips against her neck.Hyunjoong went back to her lips and with a final claim he chuckled and asked “So madam…did you like the demo?”

“Oh very much indeed” Somin said her eyes playfully moving from his eyes to his lips. Much to Hyunjoong’s surprise, Somin wasn’t done yet. She claimed his lips again for a kiss that was both exquisite and exotic.

“Mmmmm…Madam..you seem to be in quite a rush for the babies” Hyunjoong laughed.

“Well what can I do…my husband demands a soccer team” Somin shrugged.

They both laughed so hard so hard at that, that they tumbled down the sofa and in the process Hyunjoong accidently pressed a button on the remote

“Look you finally arrived at the 10 o’ clock news” Somin said pointing to the TV

“Breaking news” the TV shouted “These photographs of singer-actor Park Jungmin  and Han Seungyeon came in just now. The SS501 member was seen coming out of the 6-K1 studio holding hands with Seungyeon where Seungyeon with her fellow KARA members were having their late night dance rehersals.”

“Wow Jungmin’s cat is out of the bag” Somin said as pictures of Jungmin and Seungyeon flashed on the TV screen. The duo looked happy in the pictures and showed no sign of shying away from the camera.

“Not just out of the bag…the cat’s out of the bag and doing a salsa duet” Hyunjoong chuckled

“ We would like to remind the audience” the news reporter continued “that both KARA and SS501 are bands formed under DSP. SS501 has now come out as an independent band and has broken all ties with its founding agency DSP and even filed a lawsuit against it. KARA however had been under DSP and with the lawsuit suing DSP the future of KARA like other bands under DSP such as DSP Boys looks pretty uncertain.”

“Why do they have to say it like that?” Hyunjoong shook his head in disbelief

“That’s why Jungmin rushed off like that suddenly” Somin remembered

“You know Somin…I know exposing DSP was necessary…but these reports make me feel guilty…guilty that for my benefit I put so many people’s careers at stake! “

“Don’t blame yourself hon…everything’s gonna be fine” Somin said patting his chest assuringly but she knew him well; Hyunjoong will not gonna let this go.

Youngsaeng twisted and turned in his bed but sleep eluded him. Hyunjoong and Somin’s words ringed in his head. He sounded confident infront of them but in the solitude of his room he faced his fears. The doubt Hyunjoong Somin had, inculcated in him too, intensely. He asked himself should he have said yes to Hwangbo at the chapel? But he got two answers. A part of him said no if it’s for life it has to be proper. Another part of me, the forever self conscious part screamed that he should have agreed when he had the chance. Slowly as the night grew deeper the voice of his pessimistic self conscious grew louder and louder.

Suddenly there was a clink. Youngsaeng raised his head to confirm if he truly heard the clink or was it his overloud conscious who had somehow managed to crossover into reality. He became still and listened to the silence of the night. After a moment when there was no more sound he shook his head and laid back down.

“You have officially lost it Saengie” he said to himself as he debated what made him hear the sound—his fearful conscious or his sleep deprivation

He glanced at the clock—it was 5 am. “Manager-nim is gonna kill me!” Youngsaeng grunted. He once heard Jungmin talk about having water before sleeping helps in having a good rest. He decided to give it a try. He climbed out of bed and stepped into the common dining area. As his disoriented self tried to locate the water jug and a glass suddenly he felt a shadow moving behind him. He turned around to find no one. He rubbed his eyes to check his surroundings clearly—still he couldn’t see anyone in sight.

By now, Youngsaeng was totally convinced he was hallucinating, he quickly poured himself a glass of water and drank it. “Get a grip Saengie! Get a grip!” he said as he messaged his head trying to copy his attendant in the spa to relieve him off the stress. “Okay Saengie you still have 2 hours. Go to bed and take a power nap.” He instructed himself sternly. But just when he turned around he found himself face to face with Hwangbo. Youngsaeng fell back in fear and surprise.

“I am sorry…I didn’t mean to startle you” Hwangbo apologized and ran to his side

“Startle..”Youngsaeng gulped “is an understatement”

Hwangbo helped him rise up to his feet.

“What are you doing here ?” Youngsaeng inquired when he finally managed to catch his breath.

 “Well…I considered what you said last time that my confession wasn’t convincing enough for you..” Hwangbo explained  as the drowsy Youngsaeng tried to comprehend the situation “I decided I should put my heart out in the open for you bare . So tonight I am going to show you how much you truly mean to me and how much I love you” Hwangbo finished and started to go down on her knees “Heo Youngsaeng, I love you from the core of my heart and promise to be with you till death do us apart…will you marry me?” she managed to say choking in her own tears.

Youngsaeng was dumbfounded. He could only watch as Hwangbo fumbled to reach into her pocket and produce a ring. “If this isn’t convincing enough for you…” she paused to wipe away a traitor tear which had managed to tumble down despite her resistance “ let me tell you this proposal right now is going LIVE across every broadcasting station in the country” she sniffed

“What?” Youngsaeng shrieked and as he looked up from Hwangbo he saw cameramen and people holding big mics coming out from different corners of the common area, focusing on the two of them.

“I love you Youngsaeng” the magical words came out of Hwangbo’s mouth and steered Youngsaeng’s attention back to her “I don’t know how or when but I love you…immensely. When I first realized my love for you I hated myself for being this way, for wanting someone that I couldn’t have. I ran away from you despite knowing you feel the same way about me. But I realized how wrong I was when I came back and saw how hurt you were. I was wrong to take ‘our’ decisions on my own. You didn’t deserve that..our love didn’t deserve—“ Hwangbo choked in her own tears. Youngsaeng hurriedly went to her sideand wiped away her tears which poured out uncontrollably “There is a reason why girls don’t do this proposal business!” she yelled in anguish

“There There…”Youngsaeng hugged her

“I realize now that I was wrong. I wont run away anymore I am here for you. I love you” Hwangbo said “So what do you say? Will you marry me?”

Youngsaeng was ecstatic. It was everything he dreamed of. His dream has finally come true but then he remembered…the lie….the lie that would crumble this cherished moment of his—the fake letter!

“Youngsaeng?” Hwangbo whispered

“Hwangbo I…I need to tell you something..” Youngsaeng whispered

“I am not doing this for the letter” Hwangbo said before Youngsaeng could say anything “I wanna truly be with you. Whether you go to the army or not, whether they send you to Afghanistan or Peru…I want you to know that I will always be here for you…waiting” Youngsaeng’s shined with love “So will you marry me?”

“YES! YES! YES! A billion times YES!” Youngsaeng cried and kissed her passionately. They forgot they were in the focus of a dozen cameras, they didn’t care who were watching them, at that moment for them nobody existed. Youngsaeng finally broke the kiss only to put the ring Hwangbo was holding on her.

“And with that we have another KPOP couple coming out in the open declaring their love to the world and what a confession it was!” Reporters from various broadcasting stations reported  “With the woman being 6 years elder to the man, Hwangbo and  Youngsaeng  definitely are an unconventional couple;  a couple that has decided to break the stereotype of our society but the love they have for each other is apparent to anyone in the same room with them. We wish them all the luck and happiness to this new couple“

“Wow you have really pulled out all your guns.” Youngsaeng whispered as they posed for the camera “I wish you had given me a notice however…really didn’t wanna be on front page in my doraemon pajamas”

“Your doraemon pajamas should be the least of your worries…it’s a tough road ahead of us” Hwangbo reminded

“And we will walk through it hand in hand” Youngsaeng brought up her hand and kissed on the ring

“I have a regret too” Hwangbo said “I got this for you” she said eyeing the ring “it’s a male ring”

“C’mon it’s gonna be our unique style” he winked