Chapter 96

Together
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Author’s POV:

 

“K-Kris…you cheated on me?” Jessica’s words were shaky; her eyes were glistening with automatic built up tears.

 

“Listen,” Kris cupped her face gently, making her look into his eyes. “I didn’t cheat on you nor did I leave you, okay?”

 

“Then why did Fany…” Jessica’s face was filled worry.

 

Tiffany’s mouth was agape, “Sica! He left you! You even told me yourself over the phone yesterday!” she looked at the two with slight confusion. “W-What’s going on? You don’t remember?”

 

“Can I talk to you guys outside?” Kris looked at the three lost girls.

 

Giving a reassuring smile to Jessica, Kris then got off the bed and ushered the three girls out of the room. He had some explaining to do.

 

“What’s happening? What’s going on?” Krystal finally questioned when they were all out in the hallway, away from Jessica’s earshot.

 

Kris raked his fingers through his hair, “Jess woke up last night around the time you two left. The doctors performed a test and examined her and said everything was fine, but when I was with her throughout the night, I found that she doesn’t remember anything that happened in the past three to four days.” He explained seriously. “I asked the doctor what was going on and he said that Jess has traumatic amnesia.”

 

Tiffany’s eyes widened, “What?! Is that why she couldn’t remember anything I said back there?!”

 

Kris silently nodded his head.

 

“Will she remember it soon?” Krystal questioned angrily.

 

“It’s better if she doesn’t.” Emily suddenly voiced out, her head ducked down to stare at the floor.

 

Kris ran his hand through his hair in frustration knowing why Emily had spoken up, while Krystal and Tiffany looked at her questioningly.

 

“Why would it be better? Sica deserves to know everything, that way she doesn’t get hurt again.” Tiffany shot a glare at Kris and Emily.

 

“If she forgets it forever, it would be best for her. She wouldn’t have to live with a scarred heart and memory.” Emily spoke with a blank distant stare. “She wouldn’t have to remember me either. Jessica is too generous and loving. She doesn’t deserve to know the horrible things that happened to her in the past days.”

 

Krystal folded her arms, “Why would you hurt my sister if you didn’t want her to be scarred in the first place?”

 

“I couldn’t see how truly kindhearted and warm Jessica really is until yesterday. It made me regret everything I did to her. I’m truly sorry and I hope that she’ll forgive me one day.” Emily bit her lip.

 

Tiffany looked at her, “Why are you blaming yourself? It’s Kris’s fault here either way. He’s the one who chose you. Why don’t you apologize to him instead?”

 

Emily shook her head, “Kris didn’t tell you?” she spoke softly before glancing up at the confused Krystal and Tiffany. “I was the one who started to pick fights with Jessica. I was the one who made her cry by yelling at her. I was the one who made her jealous by clinging onto Kris.” She raised her head, meeting eye to eye with both Krystal and Tiffany. “I was the one who pushed her down the stairs and made her lose her memory.” Emily looked up a Kris. “Everything bad that has happened to Jessica was all my fault, not Kris’s.”

 

Krystal and Tiffany were frozen on the spot. They pointed their finger at the wrong person. It wasn’t Kris’s fault, it was Emily’s. Kris was never the cause, as he tried his best to fix everything to the best of his capabilities. All Kris did was love Jessica, yet he chose to take the blame by not speaking up.

 

“Kris, you don’t always have to take the blame for me. You’ve protected me long enough. I’m grown now. I can take care of myself. I’m not a little kid anymore.” Emily stared at Kris. “You have someone else to protect and I’m going to let you go. I’m going to stop chasing after you. Now go be happy with Jessica.” She tried her best to keep in the tears and give some sort of smile.

 

A grateful smile appeared on Kris’s lips, hearing Emily’s words. “Our Emily grew up now.” He grinned, ruffling her hair playfully.

 

Emily slapped his hand away, breaking out into a small smile. “Can I at least get a farewell hug?” she blinked up at him hopefully.

 

Kris opened his arms, accepting her request. Hugging onto him, Emily relished the moment, wanting to remember everything about the last time Kris would be willing to really hug her this way.

 

“I’ll apologize to Jessica when she remembers…” Emily mumbled, before she stepped out of Kris’s embrace. “I should go before my mom finds out I left the house without telling her.”

 

“I’ll tell you when she remembers.” Kris smiled. 

 

Emily nodded before waving goodbye and walking off. Kris couldn’t help but feel like a huge pressure was lifted off his shoulders. Emily had explained everything, taking action instead of always hiding and waiting for someone to protect her. Kris knew that Emily learned from this accident and knew that she matured from it. Now he can ensure that Jessica would not be in danger when around his relatives.

 

Just as Kris was about to walk back into Jessica’s room, Tiffany called out to him. Whipping around, he had forgotten that they were still having a conversation with him. His face contorted into a worried expression.

 

“What is it?” Kris asked, wondering if they were going to start to throw angry words at him again.

 

“W-We’re sorry…” Krystal and Tiffany apologized in sync.

 

Kris’s surprised face blinked at the two. Why were they apologizing so suddenly?

 

“We were blaming you for causing Jessica to get into an accident. We didn’t know that it wasn’t even your fault.” Tiffany bit her lip apologetically. “Sorry.”

 

“I guess you didn’t deserve to get yelled at by us…” Krystal looked around awkwardly while she tried her best to stubbornly apologize for her mistakes.

 

Receiving a nudge in the arm by Tiffany, Krystal sighed before clearing . “Sorry, Kris.”

 

Kris gave a sincere smile, “Apologies accepted. I was meaning to tell you two, but it so happened that Emily decided to explain.”

 

“…So did you actually choose Emily?” Krystal eyed Kris suspiciously.

 

Shaking his head, Kris denied it. “I never meant to choose anyone over Jessica. I didn’t realize a hug at that moment meant so much more. Jess only misunderstood and I haven’t gotten around to explain anything to her.” He sighed, his shoulders deflating as well.

 

“We’ll be here if you need help.” Tiffany patted his shoulder. “But as of right now, what can we do about Sica’s amnesia?”

 

“The doctor said it should be temporary and she should gradually remember, but the time frame depends on how hard she hit her head on the stairs.” Kris informed.

 

Krystal frowned, “So do we tell her that she has amnesia or not?”

 

“Jess doesn’t realize that she has amnesia…she just thinks she forgot mindlessly. Last night, I told her everything that has happened ever since she stepped foot here in China, but she fell asleep and didn’t hear a single word.” Kris raked his fingers through his hair for the umpteenth time today. “I think she deserves to know everything though.”

 

Tiffany and Krystal nodded their heads. “We’ll help you.”

 

The three shuffled their way back into the patient room that held Jessica. Kris wanted to tell Jessica everything at the moment. His heart pounded quickly, nervous to remind her of all the happenings th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter